Code of Conduct

Default So...Bois Farine?

I was able to get a 50ml bottle brand new for $50, so I said, "Why not?"

Well, why not?

Am I really going to smell like I ate a peanut butter and flour sandwich and forgot to wipe my mouth?
    Last edited by Buysblind; 11th January 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Default Re: So...Bois Farine?

You're going to enjoy it.

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I was able to get a 50ml bottle brand new for $50, so I said, "Why not?"

Am I really going to smell like I ate a peanut butter and flour sandwich and forgot to wipe my mouth?
    Yes, at least you'll smell delicious. That's a steal if you paid that price, it's one of the most unique scents in the L'Artisan range, and it's actually quite good.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

IMO not at all. There's that flour, giving a "cloudy" atmosphere, and powdery almond, dry smoky hazelnut which is backed by woody notes. It's rather dry on my skin. On fabrics, you'll get a greener, bitter almond and more wood, making the whole less gourmand, lets say more "masculin".
    But I won't call BF a safe blind buy.

I got a real kick out of the references in the reviews to Chick-O-Sticks. So apt.

Thanks for the confidence, fellas. It sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Hopefully this will work out better than Breath of God.

Basenotes Plus

It's my SOTD. Love it. Hope you will enjoy it too.

Good deal. Enjoy

Tell us what you think of it when you get the bottle

Personally, it's a delicious fragrances that sits rather close to the skin.

SwedishMike

Well at least you didn't pay $50 for Breath of God

Quote Originally Posted by Roper-Hall View Post
    Well at least you didn't pay $50 for Breath of God

LOL. I just noticed you marked BOG a 5/5 in your wardrobe.

I tried so hard to like it, but in the end, we were never meant to be.

I've got a small decant of it. The far drydown is best but weak. The opening is a bit too sweet for me and doesn't really do anything that compelling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Letitbenose View Post
    IMO not at all. There's that flour, giving a "cloudy" atmosphere, and powdery almond, dry smoky hazelnut which is backed by woody notes. It's rather dry on my skin. On fabrics, you'll get a greener, bitter almond and more wood, making the whole less gourmand, lets say more "masculin".
    But I won't call BF a safe blind buy.
    This is an accurate description. There is a peanut butter vibe for sure. But it's how you interpret that. You might think you smell peanuts or you might interpret it as woods and florals. The smell at times also reminds me of the smell of a dry newspaper.

It is the cousin of L 'Eau d'Hiver which was created by JC Ellena as well so no surprise here.

It is definitely unique. I find it very relaxing and soothing to wear

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The far drydown is best but weak.

Every once in a while I get a hold of a frag that has a great far dry down and I always wish the perfumer could have brought it out sooner, with more strength (most recently with Memoir Man). I don't know enough about perfumery to know if things like that are possible or not, but I would figure they are.

Opinions seem to be split between yours ("not that compelling") and those who feel it's unique and a little bizarre.

The note list sounded great to me, but unfortunately all I get is powdered nuts (mostly almond). It is unique but not to my personal taste. I really wish I could pick up the dough note that others have described. I love the smell of dough and yeast while making bread.

I admire your risk taking though Buysblind, hopefully it will appeal to you.

It's one of the most unique perfumes I've ever smelled.

It's challenging but not in the fecal ,clinical or petroleum sense. It's so anti-perfume but so good. I want to own just for the happiness in knowing its at my disposal.

for swap/sale:

Smells like powdered sandalwood to me. I don't get very much peanut butter....not for long. I have 2 samples and have contemplated buying it, but I want Mure et Musc Extreme instead. I'm buying MeME , for me, on my birthday.

UPDATE

I just received Bois Farine today and it's safe to say that I really like it and know that I'll continue to enjoy it for some time.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand the peanut butter association, but seriously, it only lasts for about 3 minutes at the most. When you first spray it, you think "Oh no...peanut butter." But it goes away almost instantly. So now I can spray it and think, "Alright...peanut butter! " because I know it's only going to last for a minute.

As far as the bread/dough association, there is some raw dough kind of smell floating around, but it's a bit of a reach for me to solidly link it to raw dough. It's more like there's some kind of vague likeness to it.

Surprisingly, one of my first thoughts when I sprayed Bois Farine was "Body Kouros?" And there is, imo, a distinct similarity between the two. I believe it's the combination of Benzoin and Cedar which are present in both. That's not to say that they are altogether similar, but there is this particular aspect that both fragrances share, Bois Farine to a lighter and more subdued effect.

What I DO get is a lot of sandalwood and iris. And the sandalwood is made nice and powdery (in a dior-homme-women's-makeup kind of way, but subtle) by the iris. It's woody, and to a degree nutty, and smooth. I couldn't say whether the sandalwood is "creamy" or not. I hear sandalwood described as "creamy" quite often--almost always in a complimentary sense--but I'm still not exactly sure what that means.

There is a milky quality to the fragrance and also this great powdered sugar note that seems to frost the entire thing. The powdered sugar note is sweet, but it's also somehow small and this makes it work perfectly.

So...woody, nutty sandalwood made slightly powdery by iris with a sweet, milky texture and powdered sugar frosting that is at times reminiscent of Body Kouros. This is what it all smells like, nose to wrist. Next, I'll be very interested to experience its sillage.

My favorite L'Artisan to date.

While I find it completely unique, it's also an extremely easy, comfortable wear.

Sometimes you take a chance and it works out!

UPDATE

I just received Bois Farine today and it's safe to say that I really like it and know that I'll continue to enjoy it for some time.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand the peanut butter association, but seriously, it only lasts for about 3 minutes at the most. When you first spray it, you think "Oh no...peanut butter." But it goes away almost instantly. So now I can spray it and think, "Alright...peanut butter! " because I know it's only going to last for a minute.

As far as the bread/dough association, there is some raw dough kind of smell floating around, but it's a bit of a reach for me to solidly link it to raw dough. It's more like there's some kind of vague likeness to it.

Surprisingly, one of my first thoughts when I sprayed Bois Farine was "Body Kouros?" And there is, imo, a distinct similarity between the two. I believe it's the combination of Benzoin and Cedar which are present in both. That's not to say that they are altogether similar, but there is this particular aspect that both fragrances share, Bois Farine to a lighter and more subdued effect.

What I DO get is a lot of sandalwood and iris. And the sandalwood is made nice and powdery (in a dior-homme-women's-makeup kind of way, but subtle) by the iris. It's woody, and to a degree nutty, and smooth. I couldn't say whether the sandalwood is "creamy" or not. I hear sandalwood described as "creamy" quite often--almost always in a complimentary sense--but I'm still not exactly sure what that means.

There is a milky quality to the fragrance and also this great powdered sugar note that seems to frost the entire thing. The powdered sugar note is sweet, but it's also somehow small and this makes it work perfectly.

So...woody, nutty sandalwood made slightly powdery by iris with a sweet, milky texture and powdered sugar frosting that is at times reminiscent of Body Kouros. This is what it all smells like, nose to wrist. Next, I'll be very interested to experience its sillage.

My favorite L'Artisan to date.

While I find it completely unique, it's also an extremely easy, comfortable wear.

Sometimes you take a chance and it works out!

This dries down nicely as well. A dark musk emerges making it warmer and holding it close to the skin.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 29th January 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: triple post/basenotes server dementia

Basenotes Plus

Great analysis buysblind. I also think it's unique and very pleasant

What matters is what you think a year from now, not the day you first try it. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What matters is what you think a year from now, not the day you first try it. LOL.

I agree. What I think of it in one year from now will matter one year from now.

Basenotes Institution

Glad you like it Buysblind, I was wondering if you would (I agree it is NOT a safe blind buy).

If you like it I would explore Hermessence Santal Massoia, also by JC Ellena, I think they have a very similar style of light, milky woods in a minimal/sheer style.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Glad you like it Buysblind, I was wondering if you would (I agree it is NOT a safe blind buy).

If you like it I would explore Hermessence Santal Massoia, also by JC Ellena, I think they have a very similar style of light, milky woods in a minimal/sheer style.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it! Btw, I find that I like a lot of Ellena's stuff. What, in your opinion, is his best?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it! Btw, I find that I like a lot of Ellena's stuff. What, in your opinion, is his best?
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile is a classic. So is Terre de Hermes. I also like his Malle scents a lot (L'Eau d'Hiver and Bigarade Concentree). Plus I think he has done wonderful things with the flankers for Eau des Merveilles (he didn't create the original), especially Elixir des Merveilles which will always hold a special place in my heart. So does Colonia Assoluta. I'll stop now.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle