Code of Conduct

Default Mandarina Duck Black - Are you looking for a Higher Quality Boss Bottled?

I found a hell of a deal on Mandarina Duck Black EDT, so I picked it up despite not being a fan of "black" scents. Perfumer is Nathalie Lorson of Encre Noir fame. For those who don't know "black" in men's fragrances usually refers to a blend of heavy fruit topnotes (Apple, Plum, Cherry) with a strong vanilla base. Mandarina Duck Black does nothing to challenge that, it follows that well worn formula to the letter, but it does it in a very high quality way. This follows the Boss Bottled/Black XS/Ferrari Black/Polo Double Black etc. line and deviates only slightly in the tobacco note.

So what does it smells like? Easy, it smells like Boss Bottled with higher quality ingredients. Off the top you get a strong apple and plum note that blends into a respectable cherry tobacco note on the base with vanilla present throughout. The tobacco note is very well done here and this is quite the sexy scent. On the one hand this stuff is fantastic quality, on the other, for less money you could just buy boss bottled. What the Boss lacks, however, is a very well done tobacco note that invites comparison to Burberry London on the drydown. You'll get a strong cherry pipe tobacco drydown. The drydown only smells reminiscent of Bogart pour homme, but is far more muted than that loud cherry tobacco bomb.

Longevity is decent I got around 6-7 hours on multiple wearings, but the projection isn't fantastic but respectable. If you can find it reasonably priced (30-50 for 3.4 oz), it's a buy otherwise skip it and go with Boss Bottled.

Default Re: Mandarina Duck Black - Are you looking for a Higher Quality Boss Bottled?

Thank you for this excellent introduction. This scent is less commonly available and I always wondered what it's about.
    I also didn't know about the perfumer behind it. Hope to test it sometime soon.

Default Re: Mandarina Duck Black - Are you looking for a Higher Quality Boss Bottled?

Sounds pretty good. I will try to get a sample.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Definitely reads like something that I would like. Will look into this one further. Thank you for the tip.

It's a big tangerine opening with a touch of tobacco and a heavy dose of tonka bean. I don't get the similarities to Boss Bottled, but nice review on a under the radar fragrance.

I have had this on my list of ones to test for a while now. I am going to make it a point to get this soon - thanks for the description!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's a big tangerine opening with a touch of tobacco and a heavy dose of tonka bean. I don't get the similarities to Boss Bottled, but nice review on a under the radar fragrance.
    This. Tangerine and tonka is what I get.

It's a great fragrance and quite versatile. I think I'll wear it today!
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I really enjoy this fragrance.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

The closest thing to Mandarina's Pure Black is Samba Kiss Me. Take my word on this one, I am sure there is nothing closer. Kiss Me is a fraction of the price, around 10 bucks for a 3.3 oz bottle. Smells almost identical to Pure Black, except take out the overdose of tonka. Kiss Me has great cinnamon and nutmeg notes, making the fragrance more edible and gourmand. Imagine a lemon meringue pie.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

where did you find this deal? been looking everywhere for it!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I don't get the similarities to Boss Bottled.
    Nor do I.

If anything, it feels like Chanel Allure without the household cleaner opening.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nor do I.
    Nor I. I thought it was closer to Memoir d'Homme by Nina Ricci (one of the worst blind buy purchases I have ever made over the years). I can safely say I couldn't stand the stuff and had to give my bottle of it away which is really a shame as I love Lorson's work with Encre Noir and had such high hopes Pure Black would be up my alley, but alas it was not to be.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Saw this at a discounter in the mall that seemed to always push the no name-brand/off brand fragrances. THis was one that they were really trying to push, so I thought it was some kind of crappy knockoff and did not bother even smelling it. I'll have to go back to the mall and see if the store is still there, then give this stuff a try.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Nor I. I thought it was closer to Memoir d'Homme by Nina Ricci (one of the worst blind buy purchases I have ever made over the years). I can safely say I couldn't stand the stuff and had to give my bottle of it away which is really a shame as I love Lorson's work with Encre Noir and had such high hopes Pure Black would be up my alley, but alas it was not to be.
    Memoir d'Homme smells like Minestrone soup mixed with cement to me.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I thought the opening reminded me of Burberry Touch, but wearable. Pure Black has citrus, pepper, and tonka in common with Touch. However I do not like Touch at all. I just put a small spray of Pure Black on my wrist today, and it was pretty decent. I didn't get much projection and it didn't appear to last too long. But it was a very small spray. I do feel that the drydown is completely different from Touch though. I will have to give it a few wearings to see how I really feel about it.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

I have seen in threads this was at ross for 16.99. I have never came across it myself though

Boss Bottled is in a different ballpark from Mandarina Duck Black and Boss Bottled is of higher quality and more refined.

I find Mandarina Duck Black to be heavy, loud and crude. The closet alternative to MDB i smelt was Calvin Klein Encounter but MDB is stronger.