Code of Conduct

Thread: What to add?

Question What to add?

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I've been developing my sense of smell and interest in fragrances for the past 6 months from summer through winter and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a particular fragrance/type my wardrobe is lacking that I should keep my eyes out for when considering my next purchase. Below is what I have so far:

Armani - Adg
    Armani - Code
    CK - CK One
    Dior - DH
    Dior - DHI
    Givenchy - GGentleman
    Givenchy - Pi
    Issey - LD'Issey
    YSL - Lhomme
    YSL - La nuit
    YSL - Lhomme Libre
    YSL - M7
    Heeley - Menthe Fraiche
    Paco Rabanne - PRPH
    D&G - The One
    Burberry - Touch

Touch was a gift and I am not particularly fond of it nor The One, I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions!

Default Re: What to add?

Jaipur Homme EDP, if you search for a sweet oriŽntal, is one of the best scents IMO.
    Midnight In Paris EDP for a smooth, sofisticated and balmy scent. Real class!

Both very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Jaipur Homme EDP, if you search for a sweet oriŽntal, is one of the best scents IMO.
    Midnight In Paris EDP for a smooth, sofisticated and balmy scent. Real class!

Both very affordable.
    Jaipur Homme EDP is next on my buy list. It's very nice.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Maybe you should add some vetiver to your wardrobe: Story by Paul Smith is a light, green vetiver with grapefruit. Or Infusion d'Homme by Prada: vetiver + iris: soapy, clean, green.

Maybe a leather like Tom Ford Tuscan Leather or Knize 10
    One of the classics like Guerlain Jicky or Habit Rougue
    Incense: Gucci Pour Homme or Tommy Bahama (brown)
    Vetiver: Sycomore or Terre de Hermes
    Cinammon: JHL or Tea for Two
    Strange: Or Black or Bulgari Black

Guerlain Heritage

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

+1 for Midnight in Paris, parfum version. It is a fantastic evening going out, romantic scent. You will enjoy it especially if you are fond of la nuit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

versace eau fraiche

Overcome By Fumes

Sometimes if someone's wardrobe is lacking a certain style or genre or fragrance, it's because that person's nose doesn't especially like that style or type, or it doesn't tend to smell good on him. If that is the case, then selecting items to complete a selection of types will just result in buying things you won't want to wear. There are some people who may like nothing but fougeres or orientals, and for them a complete wardrobe might just have a variety of fragrances in that style, perhaps ranging from woody to spicy. I don't think I own anything that would be considered an aquatic, but given the size of my collection, only a lunatic would consider it to not have enough.

There's no need to have at least one of each type just because they exist. Often we suggest fragrances to people because they may be similar to what a person already has and the people may tend to like fragrances of a similar character.

All things considered, you already have a good variety, so we can suggest almost anything imaginable to meet your suggestion criteria.

So I will: Thierry Mugler A Men Pure Havane.

Blog Entries

Sample/try something from Chanel (Egoiste, regular) or Guerlain (L'Instant) ....

Gucci Pour Homme II

Aqua Fahrenheit, Dior Homme Sport, Pure Havane, Creed Aventus

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

A classic like Guerlain Habit Rouge.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I co-sign the MiP EdP and GPHII recommendations.

I will also suggest Mugler Cologne and Prada Amber Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    +1 for Midnight in Paris, parfum version. It is a fantastic evening going out, romantic scent. You will enjoy it especially if you are fond of la nuit.
    Midnight in Paris EDP!!!

I have pretty similar tastes to you and have quite of few what you do. I love the Chanel line: Bleu, Allure, Allure Homme Sport as well most of the others. So check those out.

Have a look at the Prada line, love all them. Luna Rossa has probably pushed Amber Pour Homme from the top spot but both are fantastic. Infusion D'homme is also great but I don't own that and can't recall how it smells.

[Glad to see you have Touch - that is one of my favourite scents of all time but one which is vastly overlooked and doesn't get the love it deserves, in my opinion]

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Sometimes if someone's wardrobe is lacking a certain style or genre or fragrance, it's because that person's nose doesn't especially like that style or type, or it doesn't tend to smell good on him. If that is the case, then selecting items to complete a selection of types will just result in buying things you won't want to wear. There are some people who may like nothing but fougeres or orientals, and for them a complete wardrobe might just have a variety of fragrances in that style, perhaps ranging from woody to spicy. I don't think I own anything that would be considered an aquatic, but given the size of my collection, only a lunatic would consider it to not have enough.

There's no need to have at least one of each type just because they exist. Often we suggest fragrances to people because they may be similar to what a person already has and the people may tend to like fragrances of a similar character.

All things considered, you already have a good variety, so we can suggest almost anything imaginable to meet your suggestion criteria.

This is a fantastic bit of advice and one I recommend everyone new to the perfume world to consider.

The whole 'trying to get a variety to have a complete well rounded collection' has ended up with me having a few bottles which are still 97% full and I don't really enjoy wearing.

I still always have a smell of a bit of everything in stores so I'm not saying to completely write off or shun perfumes which don't fit in your range, but I wouldn't recommend buying perfumes just to tick boxes... unless you're a collector like Robes08 etc

Venture out into the Niche territory! Maybe a Kilian, or a Frederic Malle would be nice! If your find Niche to be too expensive perhaps Encre Noire would be a good choice. I also enjoy Au masculine by Lolita Lempicka too

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by P77 View Post
    This is a fantastic bit of advice and one I recommend everyone new to the perfume world to consider.

The whole 'trying to get a variety to have a complete well rounded collection' has ended up with me having a few bottles which are still 97% full and I don't really enjoy wearing.

I still always have a smell of a bit of everything in stores so I'm not saying to completely write off or shun perfumes which don't fit in your range, but I wouldn't recommend buying perfumes just to tick boxes... unless you're a collector like Robes08 etc

Absolutely! This is exactly what I've been trying to practice as I realized that M7 is truly a situational scent for me. Earlier this month I realized a fair amount of finances has been invested into this developing hobby and I decided that I needed some time to really get comfortable and develop a feel for the various scents I had.

In spite of this, theres also an insatiable hunger for new and more scents which I'm trying to combat by reading up more than usual before my next purchase and trying to orient myself with regards to the entire fragrance spectrum. Can anyone refer me to an infograph or webpage that identifies what major families of scents there are?

Based on note composition, a lot of the suggestions sound great and I'm definitely going to sample them! I had no idea some of these houses existed