Code of Conduct

Default A bodyworkers Fragrance?

Hello everybody,

first of all thanks for being here, basenotes already gave me an enormous deal of info on fragrances. Sadly, I am currently on a rather tight budget, so I'm both attracted to and resenting perfumeries.

I am a 24 year old male and I am studying to become a physiotherapist.
    Soon, I'll start my first internship, where I will do strenuous work in extreme physical proximity to people. Therefore, I want to smell nice.

I'm searching for an everyday scent that is warm and pleasant, laid-back and unoffensive. I always liked the much despised Acqua di Gio for this purpose, but the price-tag is a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

do you have any suggestions on what I should go and smell?

Cheers,

Albert

p.s. I live in Austria, so at least the budget-award winner Old Spice wouldn't be so worn down
    Last edited by Hokum; 7th January 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Default Re: A bodyworkers Fragrance?

I imagine working in a healthcare-type setting, you'd want to wear something very light (not Acqua di Gio!)

Mugler Cologne is always a nice, everyday, clean, not-too-strong scent. Not sure if that's out of the budget, but you can typically find it at discounters and online for a reasonable price.

Dependent

Hi and welcome!

I am guessing you may want some suggestions for scents in the same vein as Acqua di Gio, but lower in price?

I think here are some that may be worth sampling:

Perry Ellis 360 Red
    Bvlgari Aqua
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine
    L'eau Par Kenzo pour homme
    Clinique Happy for Men

You really don't want anything that will bother anyone. Muglar Cologne might work. Also try Calvin Klein's CK be.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hi and welcome!

I am guessing you may want some suggestions for scents in the same vein as Acqua di Gio, but lower in price?
    not necessarily, it is just an example of a fragrance that I think would work. Don't limit yourself to these scents.

thanks for the suggestions so far!

Blog Entries

+1 on Bvlgari Aqva and Mugler Cologne

will add Bvlgari Pour Homme and Versace Pour Homme

I'm not sure how things are in Austria, but over here fragrances are banned from the hospital setting.

Blog Entries

I'm a PT and I wouldn't wear any fragrance when working on patients. I feel it would introduce a variable into the equation that could potentially hinder their performance-- or cause them to feel even a vague antipathy toward me which would interfere with my ability to get the best out of them.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hokum View Post
    not necessarily, it is just an example of a fragrance that I think would work. Don't limit yourself to these scents.

thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    You really don't want anything that will bother anyone. Muglar Cologne might work. Also try Calvin Klein's CK be.
    Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    +1 on Bvlgari Aqva and Mugler Cologne

will add Bvlgari Pour Homme and Versace Pour Homme
    Got it. If that's the case I will definitely 2nd the votes for Bvlgari Pour Homme (Inoffensive Darjeeling Tea scent) and CK be (a light soapy scent with a little musk and sandalwood).

I say use anything you want, but apply very, very lightly, so you have just a hint of a scent. That way you will be unlikely to offend that small but vocal group of perfume haters, but you still get to wear something you love. After all, you will be getting quite close to people in your job so it is only fair that you not present a strong smell to them, no matter how glorious and expensive that smell may be.

The Basenote Fragrence Award nominees for daytime fragrance would be a good starting point. Terre d'Hermes, Green Irish Tweed, and Bulgari Homme are scents that everyone seems to enjoy and innocent enough that the are unlikely to give offence, especially when lightly applied.

Default Re: Solved: A bodyworkers Fragrance?

Hello and thanks everyone,

I went with Thierry Mugler's Cologne. Very close to the skin, fresh of course, and I love the warm slightly musky drydown. A great recommendation.

CK be was to sweet, bulgari pH is nice but I think I would grow tired of all this tea.

@30 Rose and warlandsboy

While it is not forbidden to wear perfumes, it is discouraged.
    I do want a little something between my body-odor and my patients, but I see how it would be unwise to overdo it.
    Last edited by Hokum; 23rd November 2009 at 05:16 PM.

Glad to hear you solved your dilemma! Good choice.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Glad to hear you solved your dilemma! Good choice.
    +1

Thanks for updating us!

Basenotes Plus

Excellent choice. Keep us posted and let us know what your patients think! Personally I find the fragrance free rule in hospital a little annoying but I can understand how fragrances can affect those on chemo or in OBG settings. Still, wearing a scent lightly shouldn't pose a problem.

Blog Entries

Good choice. Another one you should try is Gendarme.

nice choice
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Fragrance isn't such a problem over here. My girlfriend is a physio undergrad and she's worked in the hospital for a couple of years. She wears what she wants and actually gets compliments. She's never heard a complaint from a single person and even the matron who is supposed to be an icy, steely lady envies her taste in scents.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    even the matron who is supposed to be an icy, steely lady
    some things never change
    Last edited by Hokum; 12th December 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Hello,

back after 3 Years. I went through a few refills of Muglers Cologne, some BodyShop White Musk (a bit to sweet but cheap), some AdG, some Bulgari Aqua (which I love but is too strong for work).

Would someone recommend me some other scents in this direction (subtle and warm. white musk,wood/vetiver...)
    Last edited by Hokum; 9th January 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Fougere Marine & Vetiver de Sables by Montale

Hokum,
    It's great that you came back to report your success story. Always good when we have that here. At this pint I would recommend Bulgari Man and D & G The One.

Yes, this is a success story for sure!

Warmer with musk in the same soapy vein as Cologne and not sweet, maybe Prada Amber PH, probably one spray max.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

As a nursing student, I get a little bothered when I read about hospital personnel ignoring the "rules" (a discouragement might not be a rule, but still) to not wear fragrance at work. Some people are genuinely allergic to fragrance, and in a hospital, IMO, people don't need to be exposed to things that might bother them, since they're probably not feeling so hot from the beginning, having to be in the hospital in the first place. If it were me, I'd wear a good antiperspirant and be done with it.

If you want something cheap take a sniff at BBW Sea Island Cotton. It smells like clean cotton with a hint of the most inoffensive 'ocean aquatic' I have EVER smelled. It's pretty light, unisex, and cheap.

I recently went looking for an inexpensive 'clean' fragrance and this is what I found and love.

@hednic seems like a good recommendation but a litte bit over my budget. however I will try it if I find it, maybe I fall in love.

@Renaissance man & Brian: well, I received great recommendations and was very happy with them, so thank you all. I was surprised how good most of them were suited to my needs
    Frankly, I'd have probably stayed with Mugler Cologne, however I can't seem to find it discounted anymore. The drydown is simply incredible, it's still a great choice. Bulgari Aqua came from this thread too and I still love it, not for work though. Will check both your recommendations and post again.

@Izzie: Don't worry, I do not work in a hospital setting. I've never heard or suspected any complaints, then again I am only wearing very unimposing scents.

@Kaelee Thanks, cheapies are always welcome. will take a look.

Lanvin L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Hokum,
    It's great that you came back to report your success story. Always good when we have that here. At this pint I would recommend Bulgari Man and D & G The One.
    I agree that Bvlgari Man is a very nice, masculine one, and can't imagine it being offensive to anyone. But you never know...

CologneFan85

D&G The One Sport

You're going to need something light, doesn't project wildly and is an overall compliment getter.

- D&G The One
    - YSL L'homme
    - Perry Ellis 360 Red
    - Versace Pour Homme
    - Joop Jump
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.