Code of Conduct

Default Chanel's on eBay - how so cheap?

I'm a massive fan of Chanel perfumes and I have never even seen a 100ml below 63GBP and 50ml below 45GBP (across there whole range) - from as far as I'm aware Chanel do not discount there perfumes.

I just had a speculative look on eBay and came cross this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHANEL-ALL...item1e76423349

35GBP for 50ml and they accept offers. In the feedback they have also sold 100ml Blue de Chanel for 48GBP.

This person has 5 auctions running for Chanel Allure Sport:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chanel-All...item3a7d53b751

and again

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHANEL-ALL...item2a27f40752

Default Re: Chanel's on eBay - how so cheap?

Chanels are very often faked.

I buy almost all of my fragrances on ebay. I have only bought a counterfeit product once, and it was a copy of Chanel Allure Homme from somebody who had 100% good feedback. I also saw the same counterfeit chanel on sale from other people (it was obvious, Chanel do not make a 20ml version of this fragrance. Despite sending ebay an email from the Chanel company confirming my statement ebay did not remove the further counterfeit items.
    I have also seen "Coco pour Homme" for sale which does not exist either.
    In short, be very careful about buying anything Chanel on ebay (though you should be safer with used products)

Banned
    Blog Entries

counterfeits. pursue at your own risk.

don't spend any money on an ebay chanel that you aren't comfortable throwing away.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I too, fell victim to a fake Blue de Chanel which was purchased on ebay from a vendor who had a 100% feedback rating. As soon as I opened the package and realized that the bottle did not have a magnetic cap, I knew it was a fake. Contacted paypal, received refund immediately. Beware of counterfeits on ebay.

Tread carefully.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

You must be new on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I too, fell victim to a fake Blue de Chanel which was purchased on ebay from a vendor who had a 100% feedback rating.
    Read the feedback. A lot of people (for various reasons) leave "positive feedback" if the vendor accepted the product back and will mention this in their notes. That means they are still selling counterfeits, and 99% of the time the person buying has no idea they are buying a fake; pure profit.

Blog Entries

Agree with everyone here. Fake Chanels are very rampant on ebay. I never buy fragrances on there unless the seller is also a reputable basenotes member.

While visiting Istanbul recently I was approached by numerous street hawkers selling sealed, apparently brand new, boxes of Chanel. The prices were ridiculously low, and went even lower proportionately to the greater the distance I retreated from the seller. Buyer beware.

Basenotes Junkie

The sad thing about these E-bay fakes is that some poor guy will unknowingly buy this crap and the seller will make money off it. And will then do it again....and again....

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!
    Always has been my motto and you do stand a better chance of not being faked if bought in the used frag section.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

New Chanel fragrances available in quantity through endless auctions that always start the bidding at $1 have always been fakes. I have never seen one that isn't. Bleu, #5, Egoiste in the 100ml size are the counterfeiter's favorite.

Recently, since the cat is out of the bag on fake Bleu without the magnetic cap, a few counterfeiters are opening the box, tossing the imitation cap and selling these as new testers.

Several Chinese manufacturers are bulk shipping these to distributors for flea markets and eBay sellers who feign ignorance.

In short do NOT buy Chanel fragrances on eBay unless they are listed as used. Those are almost always genuine.

A lot of buyers are clueless, so even obvious fakes can still result in positive feedback, especially when the buyer praises the fast shipping, not the fragrance itself.

I was just looking yesterday at the multiple dirt cheap Chanel No. 5 EdP being hawked on Ebay. There was a new listing for $39.99 for 100ml. It was flying out the door even though the seller had numerous feedbacks saying they sell fakes. I guess people just want to believe they will be the lucky one getting the good bottle among the bad.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Chanels are very often faked.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    I was just looking yesterday at the multiple dirt cheap Chanel No. 5 EdP being hawked on Ebay. There was a new listing for $39.99 for 100ml. It was flying out the door even though the seller had numerous feedbacks saying they sell fakes. I guess people just want to believe they will be the lucky one getting the good bottle among the bad.
    Ebay are to blame here.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Ebay are to blame here.
    Correct. They just allow people who sell notorious fakes to keep selling them?!

Even big volume websites can't sell these cheap. Chanel is especially hard to find at even a $10 to $15 discount much less half price. Unless it's a seller with a ton of feedback in the tens of thousands I would be very careful. Also, make the seller give you the serial code and pictures upon request. If he or she has a problem doing this then report them to ebay.

DUDE!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! BUY IT ALL NOW!!!

J/K. Yeah, like other people have been saying, those are most likely fakes because Chanels are some of the most counterfeited fragrances out there.

Thanks for the responses guys.

As I suspected, they are fakes. Ridiculous eBay is not doing something about as it is extremely unfair on on unsuspecting / normal buyers. They look the real deal and are priced at a fair price, not ridiculously cheap (which would raise suspicions. Which just makes it worse as people are buying fakes for 30 - 35 for a 50ml when they could walk into a shop and get the real deal for 45.

Cheap Chanels, usually in the form of unboxed testers - but sometimes boxed - occasionaly show up in legitimate discount perfume chains and chemists down here in Australia. I got a boxed 50ml bottle of Egoiste for A$35 back when it equated to 14.5 UK pounds.
    Regards,
    Renato

Unless you're buying "used" Chanel on ebay, it's more than likely fake. Chanel are notorious for not discounting much to their distributors/retailers (I seem to recall a lawsuit that Chanel was accused price gouging) so why would Ebay retailers grant such a discount? Because it's fake. Better to pony up at a retail department if you want it. Post Allure Homme, not much excites me so I stay away.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

So I did buy a used bottle of Égoïste recently on ebay, no box, and almost completely full.
    And it is fine. From the code I believe it was manufactured in March of 2011.

What puzzles me is some prices set higher than those on the Chanel site, which has mail order in the US.
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 13th January 2013 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    So I did buy a used bottle of Égoïste recently on ebay, no box, and almost completely full.
    And it is fine. From the code I believe it was manufactured in March of 2011.

What puzzles me is some prices set higher than those on the Chanel site, which has mail order in the US.
    Happens all the time. People don't educate themselves on pricing and get caught up in bidding wars. Fragrances I routinely see in discounters like TJMaxx routinely sell for $10-40 more on eBay.

All of the Chanels are fake except those sold by an individual that usually does not sell fragrances. Follow that rule and you should be fine.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Could be a fake, so be careful

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    All of the Chanels are fake except those sold by an individual that usually does not sell fragrances. Follow that rule and you should be fine.

Not a bad rule of thumb.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The only fake I have ever purchased, was a Bleu de Chanel on ebay. That is why they are so cheap. They are fakes. So please be very careful.