Code of Conduct

Default ATTENTION all M7 fans: interesting videos.....

It's usually told the riformulated YSL M7 (2nd version, with "3-transparent sides bottle") is the riformulated one, i.e. it contains no real Agarwood (Oud) oil.

These videos show clearly the famous "Agarwood oil dust" , in "reformulated" (year 2008) bottles.
    This could explain why so many people affirm there is little o no difference between vintage and reformulated bottles: simply, the vintage (real-agarwood) juice has been poured in many 2nd version bottles.
    It's important to say that most of reformulated bottles contain transparent (synthetic agarwood) juice: but we (a small number of M7 fans from all parts of Italy) have found an outstanding number of reformulated bottles WITH the agarwood dust.

As a preliminary result, all bottles with a 5-letters batch code ( for example H0EBB) are reformulated ones ; almost half of the number-batched bottles (for example 7JAB or 8CAA) are "vintage" ones. The other half of number-batched bottles has a perfectly transparent ("reformulated") juice.

We collected our bottles, did some tests, and shot some videos :
    - first bottle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIOGS31-ZQE
    -another bottle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwTjfofKO2Y
    -a third bottle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzdImo7A5bg
    (Excuse for poor quality)

Check your "reformulated" bottle. You have to left quiet for 4-5 hours, then twist it, under a light.
    We'd glad to know you opinion. and share your experience.
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 12th January 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Default Re: ATTENTION all M7 fans: interesting videos.....

Are you under the impression that vintage M7 contains real oud oil?

I appreciate what you're doing and I think you might be onto something interesting here, but I have an original formulation bottle and there isn't any "agarwood oil dust" in mine... How would you interpret that?

To be honest, I'm pretty sure there's no real agarwood in any of the M7 formulations. It smells like synthetic agarwood (ie. synthetic oud) to me, similar to Byredo's Oud Accord fragrance.

I'm not a fanatic oud fan
    However, Alberto Morillas is reportedly told M7 contains real oud, not so expensive, 10 years ago (2000-2001);
    but apart this, suppose the "dust" is not oud oil: why there are so many differences from one bottle to another bottle? This is the question....

Interesting. I thought this post was BS so I checked my two bottles of vintage juice. One has stuff floating in it like in the video and the other does not. Neither reformulated bottle (five digit codes) has junk in it. Weird.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

However that we call "dust", is NOT any junk: it's oil.
    The precipitation towards the bottom is typical of oil drops.
    If not Agarwood oil, it's a sort of oil, undiluted in alcohol, maybe due to too-high concentration. .
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 12th January 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Mmmmhh

Whichever form - it's a nice scent.

I have a vintage bottle and nothing is floating around in it.
    Last edited by silentrich; 12th January 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Mine ( 50 ml and half empty ) is from 2008 and I couldn't see anything.

Shouldn't oil float to the top of an ethaol/water mixture?

And, I have a vintage bottle from 2006, nothing settles in the bottom, haven't touched it for weeks.

I own multiple bottles of every variant of M7:

M7 Vintage
    M7 reformulation
    M7 Oud Absolu
    M7 Fresh

And none of them seem to contain any significant trace of real Oud oil. The bitter, dark, deep, poisonous element in the original formula, that I find absent in other formulas, seems to be real mandrake root. Even the vintage balms and vintage body wash contain it....but that bitter, poisonous smelling accord is missing in every other variant of M7.

Very interesting! I have a 7CAA batch from 2007 and there is stuff floating around on the bottom. I think we have a mystery here on our hands guys, somebody call Shaggy and Scoobie and the rest of the gang!

Whatever it is, I zimply will not believe that the dusty stuff is oil. Oil simply does not sink to the bottom of alcohol and does not behave like dust in solution. This is some other substance but certainly not oil. Not sure what it is and to be honest, I don't really care. The juice smells fine.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have two bottles of vintage M7 and love the juice. However, I cannot observe any amount of floating oil or agarwood in either bottle.

True oud / aloeswood is very expensive I feel no version or M7 ever real contained the real stuff. Oils droplets can be found in fragrance that are old and starting to separate ...I don't think that is oud you are seeing. MY friends and I call it "smeck" it's. good way to check if a scent is going bad.

i once saw a bottle of diptyque's vetyverio with dust floating in - the SA said that because too much light has been exposed, that the scent is giving away, i also had mugler's angel which had floaters in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    True oud / aloeswood is very expensive I feel no version or M7 ever real contained the real stuff. Oils droplets can be found in fragrance that are old and starting to separate ...I don't think that is oud you are seeing. MY friends and I call it "smeck" it's. good way to check if a scent is going bad.
    exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    i once saw a bottle of diptyque's vetyverio with dust floating in - the SA said that because too much light has been exposed, that the scent is giving away, i also had mugler's angel which had floaters in it.
    I've been told the same thing and anything floating in a bottle isn't good unless it's a worm or gold flakes.

My vintage M7 bottle (all sides brown) has no floaters of any kind in it.
    Alan

I suspect it's some kind of chemical precipitate, and would look like tiny crystals, if seen under high magnification.

Can't remember where the other thread was on this topic. There was some speculation that one of the purposes of the maceration process was to allow new crystalline compounds that form as a result of mixing the original ingredients together to precipitate out and settle to the bottom of the flask. After a few weeks, the clear liquid is drawn off, leaving these precipitated compounds at the bottom. If the maceration was rushed, some of the very end parts of the crystallization process could later take place in the bottle, leaving some crystals there as well.

All just speculation of course.

anyone else enjoyed the beat of the music?

My vintage bottle with reformulated juice from 2006. also has that funky dust Interesting, but I also doubt it is a proof of oud or any other note...

someone at YSL was sick that day and sneezed into that batch....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

some more videos about the "so-called" real agarwood in suspension:

M7 produced in summer 2008 (batch 8GAA) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_7n7Q5y7os
    M7 Fresh, the flanker, batch 4148 (May 2004) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDZLqFoWsg

great research & info ...
    well done Andre

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

50ml 8CAA exhibiting floaters much like the videos.

What's the evidence that floaters = 'real' agarwood dust/oil again?
    Wouldn't it stand to reason that all or maybe even most 'real' oud/agarwood fragrances, not just vintage M7, have this floating dust?
    hmmm

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I love M7 but doubt that it ever contained agarwood oil as shown in the video. It would cost a small fortune for the YSL to do that.

This is the "M7 legendary tale" (please note I am not trying to convince you about it, but only to explain various point of view):

Around year 2000 YSL bought an huge amount of agarwood oil at discounted price (we don't know anything about its quality and grade, only that there were low prices in these years) , and asked to Firmenich (one of the biggest aromachemicals factories) to prepare a synthetic agarwood oil in order to "sweeten" the harsh, brutal smell of natural oil.
    When Firmenich succeeded in preparing the sweet "Synth 10760 E" molecule (you can google it) , then the production of M7 started (september 2002), using real agarwood oil PLUS the sweet synthetic oud "10760E".
    At a certain point, the natural agarwood oil ended, and YSL used only the synthetic oud, that's why the "reformulated" bottles smells so much sweeter than before. After the discontinuation of M7 (mid-2009) in the same year of the boom of oud fragrances, YSL affirmed that, in previous years, they have used real oud in M7, and the domonstration is the "dust", "mist", "floaters", "precipitate" you can find in many bottles.

This is the "legend", and I am only trying to understand more about it, even with Basenote readers' help. Maybe some of you can approach YSL or Firmenich and ask some questions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by totaldominasian View Post
    Just got a vintage one off eBay. How do I tell the date of manufacture? I see a 5 number code on the bottom, but no letter.

for bottles from 2001 to 2010 simply go to http://checkcosmetic.net/ and check the code.
    However if you see only 5 numbers and no letters, it's from 2002 to 2004 for sure .
    Congratulations, a real vintage one!
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 23rd January 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Just got a vintage one off eBay. How do I tell the date of manufacture? I see a 5 number code on the bottom, but no letter.

How all things started: the big amount of precipitates ("dust") in older bottles. Here is the beginning about all "real agarwood or not?" hypothesis.
    This bottle is batched "30871" (March 2003)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY9pOMT1BZQ

My bottle of vintage M7 does have floating dust in it. For most people claiming that theirs doesn't, I would say that it is more difficult to see the particles in vintage bottles simply because they are not fully transparent. I had to place my bottle against a direct light to be able to see it.

Real agarwood or not, the only other bottle I have seen this with is Aramis JHL reformulated.

Well, well....just checked my vintage bottle and yep there's sediment.....who would have thought. Still not sure it's anything to do with real oud though. I enjoy real oud oil occasionally and it doesn't have sediment so I don't see why M7 should.

An inusual clip. A frend of mine and I with our bottles of "reformulated" M7 -with identical batch 8CAA- bought in different places at different times.
    Same "dust precipitate" pattern? Not at all.
    Comparison between bottles at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWEfe6_MQo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    An inusual clip. A frend of mine and I with our bottles of "reformulated" M7 -with identical batch 8CAA- bought in different places at different times.
    Nice video, great music

But do they smell different?

My vintage bottle doesn't have any precipitates in it. But how do I tell the year of manufacture?

Quote Originally Posted by totaldominasian View Post
    My vintage bottle doesn't have any precipitates in it. But how do I tell the year of manufacture?
    Insert the batch number on this website: checkcosmetic.net

Didn't work

Here another video : two bottles year 2008. Here you can see real differences.
    First batched '8GAA' and the other 'HOEAA'
    bottles with all-letters batches (without numbers, and with a small sticker) seem to be considered the really reformulated ones.
    you can clearly see it at min 2.15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBqBKizi2tk