Code of Conduct

Default Philosykos for a female professional in her 60's?

I have to pick a fragrance for my boyfriend's mother, who is in her 60's, Southern, extremely kind and feminine, and very professional. She doesn't generally wear any fragrance so I was thinking of going for something very light and simple, like JM orange blossom, Philosykos, or something floral from L'Artisan. I can't ask her for pointers since it's a surprise. Please share any thoughts or recommendations. Thank you!

Default Re: Philosykos for a female professional in her 60's?

Gold Flowers by Montale perhaps.

It's a beautiful fragrance. And maybe the perfect scent for someone who usually doesn't wear fragrances. But I wouldn't chose the EdP version as it is less lightly and more masculine than the EdT.
    Another recommendation: Préparation Parfumée by Andrée Putman. A bit unisex, peppery, fresh, woody.
    I don't know how the new version of Vent Vert by Balmain is, but this you could try as well.
    Last edited by Graphite; 12th January 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thank you so much for these recommendations! I must look into the descriptions/reviews of these and see if I can envision any being a nice fit.

I like the idea of Diptyque, but I'm wondering whether a fig scent could be too much of a surprise for somebody who is not into perfumes. A floral l'Artisan seems appropriate, as well as a light Goutal (like Songes, or Eau du Sud).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like the idea of Diptyque, but I'm wondering whether a fig scent could be too much of a surprise for somebody who is not into perfumes. A floral l'Artisan seems appropriate, as well as a light Goutal (like Songes, or Eau du Sud).

cacio
    That was my concern as well. I had been considering a tea scent for her such as Green Tea and Jasmine by L'Occitane, but decided that tea might be a little too unconventinal to be comfortable for a woman who isn't particularly attached to fragrances. Thank you very much for your help! I own La Chasse Aux Papillons, but consider it somewhat too sweet for a more mature woman. Are there any L'Artisan florals you could envision being more suitable?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

What about ADP Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi? Everyone seems to like that one, and the citrus opener balances the fig note. It's a cologne, so it's relatively light.
    My daughter, my mother and I all like it and we range in age from 17 to 84.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    What about ADP Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi? Everyone seems to like that one, and the citrus opener balances the fig note. It's a cologne, so it's relatively light.
    My daughter, my mother and I all like it and we range in age from 17 to 84.
    I had an interesting experience with that one after receiving a sample when I purchased my bottle of Assoluta. I loved the sample almost enough to want to purchase at least a decant for myself, but then a year or so later, I became preoccupied with Un Jardin de Mediteranee and after testing Philosykos and Fico di Amalfi (one on each wrist) I could not believe my sudden dislike of my former fig favorite. It seems that there is something pungent in Fico di Amalfi that eclipses the "decay" note everyone talks about in Mediterranee, and that makes Philosykos resemble a perfect fig in a dish of cream, by comparison (not that the latter is necessarily preferable to everyone). Nevertheless, your family enjoys it, and it was my first choice in figs at one point, so perhaps you are on to something in suggesting it after all. Thank you very much for you help!

My first thought was Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan. It's beautifully floral, sweet, and completely lacking in animalic or aldehydic or other scarey notes. The tea's main job is to counter all of those characteristics before they're too extreme--it calms down the floral and the sweetness that might otherwise have made the scent cloying and too-young.

It's also _extremely_ light. I'm normally a single-sprayer, but I tend to apply four or five sprays of Osmanthe Yunnan. So she could wear one spray without needing to do that irritating quick-half-spray move that more often than not leaves your fingers damp with perfume.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Interesting! Everyone's personal chemistry is different and some things that are nice on others are terrible on me.

BTW, my husband also likes Fico di Amalfi, as well as the medical assistant at my mother's doctor's office-- she actually wanted to know what Mom had on, so I gave her a decant. It's odd that so many around me like it. I can't think of any other fragrance I have that is like that.

You might also try JM Blackberry & Bay. Really nice, and not loud at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    My first thought was Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan. It's beautifully floral, sweet, and completely lacking in animalic or aldehydic or other scarey notes. The tea's main job is to counter all of those characteristics before they're too extreme--it calms down the floral and the sweetness that might otherwise have made the scent cloying and too-young.

It's also _extremely_ light. I'm normally a single-sprayer, but I tend to apply four or five sprays of Osmanthe Yunnan. So she could wear one spray without needing to do that irritating quick-half-spray move that more often than not leaves your fingers damp with perfume.
    Thank you, Martha! That sounds quite lovely. I will make an attempt to track it down.

I think phylosykos would be great for a professional woman.
    I think it might be a little strange to an older woman who doesnt wear fragrance often and whom is more used to floral aldehydes, though. -may be a nice change for her.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Interesting! Everyone's personal chemistry is different and some things that are nice on others are terrible on me.

BTW, my husband also likes Fico di Amalfi, as well as the medical assistant at my mother's doctor's office-- she actually wanted to know what Mom had on, so I gave her a decant. It's odd that so many around me like it. I can't think of any other fragrance I have that is like that.

You might also try JM Blackberry & Bay. Really nice, and not loud at all.
    My mother really enjoys Blackberry and bay. It seems to be one of the more enjoyable offerings from recent JM.
    I think it's wonderful that so many people in your life are Fico di Amalfi fans. There's nothing like sharing in something you find beautiful. (Also the your husband enjoys it doesn't hurt).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    I think phylosykos would be great for a professional woman.
    I think it might be a little strange to an older woman who doesnt wear fragrance often and whom is more used to floral aldehydes, though. -may be a nice change for her.
    Thank you for your recommendation! : ) I think it's extremely likeable if she finds fig appealing enough to wear.

+1 to Osmanthe Yunnan or maybe even Rose Ikebana. Very light fragrances and very high quality
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Une Fleur de Cassie - Editions de Parfum was the first thing that came to mind.

DIptyque is a phenomenal house. Philosykos is wonderful! So is Tam Dao. Cannot go wrong with either. You may also consider some of the scents from a house called pacifica.

For what its worth -- My sister (50s professional woman) "doesn't like perfume" but now, due to my interest in perfume, she will occasionally sniff some when shopping, and she discovered and fell for the Philosykos. (she likes the edt)
    If you want to hedge your bets, you could get her a sample set? -- Jo Malone has a set of Minis that could make a nice gift. And l'artisan has a 3 fragrance coffret - 15 ml Sprays: Mure et Musc, Premier Figuier, La Chasse Aux Papillons. (parfum1 has these.)