Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Creed Original Santal (Review) by Noirdrakkar

In my previous 2 reviews, I gave Himalaya a score of 3/5 and L'air du Desert Marocain 4/5.
    I'm going to pump out another review today; and remember: this is my opinion - not fact

Today, I'm reviewing Original Santal by Creed (which came out in 2005)

60861M.jpg

Scent: 3/5

Original Santal is a mix of vanilla, tonka, and lavendar with a lot of cinnamon. Cinnamon is, by far, the most dominant note (and it's a note that I like very much). It's one of the better cinnamon notes I've smelled, but not the best.

There is a little burst of berry/fruit notes in the beginning, which I like a lot. Not too much fresh fruit, but just enough). If you smell the atomizer, you can smell those fruity fresh notes. But a short while after they are on your skin (maybe half hour to an hour), the fruit notes are gone. For the overwhelming majority of time you wear this fragrance, you are going to smell predominantly the base notes.

This scent is named Santal (short for sandalwood). Yet, sandalwood is far from the dominant note in this fragrance. And I'm a big fan of Creed's sandalwood notes. Green Irish Tweed had a great sandalwood note in the base and I think Himalaya's sandalwood note was one of the best I ever smelled. I do detect a sandalwood note, but ever so slightly. If this were renamed and wasn't marketed as a sandalwood fragrance, I can't be sure I would have ever known there was a sandalwood note in here.

Oh, and this IS NOT identical to Joop. There are some similarities. Both are sweet, a little dark, and a little heavy, but granted, but they are far apart. I don't get the repulsive cherry cough syrup note anywhere in OS.

Overall, a very good scent, but nothing groundbreaking.

Originality: 2.5/5

This is not very original. It's not generic in the same way that a Calvin Klein is. But on a niche level, when people are paying top dollar, there is a greater expectation to be original and different from the rest. Santal doesn't really set itself apart. Cinnamon gourmand fragrances have been done before. Tonka vanilla fragrances have been done too many times. In subtle way, it's better than a lot of gourmands out there, but it's not peerless. There's well over 10 gourmands I could recommend over this one, in both original and quality.

Versatility: 4.5/5

This is one of it's strongest points. Yes, it has a vibe to it that easily convinces me that this is excellent for a night time scent, especially on a warm night at a sophisticated city. This one of Creed's best options for fall and winter. I can easily see this as a great clubbing scent and (even though I completely disagree with the concept) a romantic scent in the traditional sense.

This wouldn't stop me from wearing it in the day. Honestly, it doesn't project so hard that you can't wear it in the day. I think this is work safe (just don't spray too much), good for casual occasions and formal occasions alike. It has a smoothness to it that makes it wearable. This is unisex. A woman could wear this easily
    Many niche fragrances are ones that are good to smell, but this is one that is meant for WEARING.

This may not smell better than most fragrances, but this is more wearable than most fragrances. If you are a pragmatic (and like sweet scents), this may be up your alley, because many sweet scents are less safe to wear, but this one is gourmand and safe.

Projection: 3.5/5

The projection of OS is very good (better than that of several Creeds). It's light and subtle, but it's there. Even during the 7th hour, it projects just as nicely as it did during the 2nd hour. The projection is consistent after the fragrance starts to develop. Sometimes is too subtle to detect the ingredients. You have to smell really close to detect the ingredients but you can smell it from a good distance too. It's a close-quarters scent, but it projects a lot closely.

Longevity: 5/5

Longevity is easily the strongest aspect of this fragrance. I've gotten 8+ hours on each wearing. Sometimes up to 12 hours. This will last you the whole day. Creed has often had a problem with longevity, but this is easily one of the best (if not THE) fragrances that they have to offer in terms of longevity. Not just for a Creed fragrance, but the longevity on this trumps that of 90% of other fragrances in general. And yes, it even lasts longer than the mighty Aventus.

Value: 3/5

It's a basic simple fragrance that's been done before, but it is refined and versatile. The good projection and great longevity means that a bottle of OS will last you a long time.

But this one doesn't innovate as much as many of the other Creeds do. It smells very good, but it doesn't feel like it's above the league of most designer fragrances. 1 Million, Spicebomb, Burberry London do what this one does just fine (and actually I like them better than OS). If you are a casual fragrance owner and don't feel like spending a lot of money, just go with one of those three as they are cheaper and they do just about everything Santal does. This smells a bit like New Haarlem, but a much weaker version. Though, I'd take New Haarlem over OS any day of the week. If you like New Haarlem, but think it's too strong for you, OS may be a better option.

This is a very good fragrance, so if you have the money and are interested in this kind of scent, then definitely buy it. For people on a stricter budget or people with other fragrances on their want list, it's harder to recommend. If you already have all of the essential must-have fragrances that you want, then it's not unreasonable to buy this.

$315 for a 4 oz (and more money per ML as you get to smaller sizes) is not worth it unless you have a lot of money to blow, but you can find this online by trusted websites for around $140, and that price it's much better.

This isn't a must-have. It's optional, if you like it and can afford it.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5
    (on a niche scale; not an average)

Verdict: Look into it if you like sweet gourmand cinnamon fragrances or if you are a fan of the Creed house. Otherwise, there are better things to try.

(Mont Blanc Individuel - I haven't tried this one yet, so I can't compare, but I will and I'll let you all know what I think)

(What does 3.5 mean) - 3.5 is a very good rating. I'm critical in reviews, so only the best of the best get 4's and 5's. But 3.5 means it's better than probably 2/3 of fragrances out there.

(Compared to the other Creeds: This is probably my least favorite Creed. I did give Himalaya a lower rating than OS because of weak projection and weak longevity, but I like the smell of Himalaya more. SMW, Aventus, VIW, GIT, MI, they ALL rank above Santal - no contest.)

Default Re: Creed Original Santal (Review) by Noirdrakkar

This one reminds me to much of a better version of Joop and everytime I tried it I just could not get that association out of my head. Keep the good reviews coming you have a talent for them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This reminds me a little of Joop, but to call this Joop is cruel

I'll put it this way. Rochas Man smells 90% like New Haarlem.

But I find New Harlem to be TEN TIMES BETTER.

Subtle differences are key.

Two things may smell similar, but could be worlds apart.

OS is ok. Had a bottle years ago and eventually gave it away (not to say this isn't a decent frag). I would give this one a 3.5 as well. Good review!

Banned
    Blog Entries

^ Yeah, everyone is different. With me, it's a fun fragrance to sample, but I don't think I'll be buying a bottle.

Too close to Mont Blanc Individuel to justify the cost for me. Nice scent though.

Thank you noirdrakkar!

Thank you, very good review and of course complete...

I like it. Smells good, gorgeous packaging, and it's a nice departure for Creed from the rest of the collection. I bought it fairly inexpensively online, which certainly helps with the "not worth niche prices" problem.

Basenotes Junkie

I really like it, and my girlfriend REALLY likes it - with capitol letters - so I was delighted when I got to buy this from a fellow BN'er Wooo!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I really like it, and my girlfriend REALLY likes it - with capitol letters - so I was delighted when I got to buy this from a fellow BN'er Wooo!
    women do seem to like this one. it does get compliments. if you want compliments from women, try original santal definitely. but that shouldn't be the main reason you buy a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I like it. Smells good, gorgeous packaging, and it's a nice departure for Creed from the rest of the collection. I bought it fairly inexpensively online, which certainly helps with the "not worth niche prices" problem.
    yeah for $315, definitely not. but in my rating i considered that you could get it for $140 online. but even at $140 it's very pricy.

Basenotes Junkie

What reason you pick up a fragrance for is so subjective I can hardly accept your statement that it shouldnt be just because your loved one tells you she really loves it and wants you to get it

Fortunately, I really like OS as well, and I got a great deal on it. I would probably have purchased it anwyays, and I'm a bit of a Creed collector, and I really wanted this in my collection.

Bottom line - damn expensive and Individuel probably smells pretty close to it, but worth it for some

Banned
    Blog Entries

good bottle line hreple

A wonderful fragrance IMO.

I really like OS. I have never smelled any of the Joops, but this does smell a lot like the Mont Blanc. I have it on my list to buy, but I have 2 samples of it that I still haven't gone through. I guess I like it, but seem to keep passing it by when deciding what to wear.

Another good review noirdrakkar!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I owned a bottle and sold it. For myself it was a novelty fragrance and not something I would wear very often. Probably didn't help that everyone I worked with asked me for a piece of Big Red gum.

Enjoying your reviews, nd!

OS is one of the few Creeds I sent back. I just never warmed to it. I thought it was a little powdery and feminine for me. The name has always annoyed me, too, because I thought it was inaccurate and/or deceitful to name a fragrance "Santal" when I couldn't smell any sandalwood in it at all.

Creed Santal Imperial smells like sandalwood. Creed's discontinued Bois de Santal is one of the best sandalwoods ever made. Creed OS? Yes, it's supposed to have sandalwood in the ingredients but I don't smell any sandalwood at all. So why is the main name "Santal?" I just smell a powdery vanilla, slightly cinnamon scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you want a sandalwood Creed fragrance, try Himalaya. The sandalwood note is excellent in there. And yes, finding little to no sandalwood in here definitely means its just a market ploy.

And silent rich, I guess it smells a little like big red gum, but only because of the sweet cinnamon lol

It's a decent fragrance not all that tho. Definitely not worth the price imo.

I personally like Original Santal a lot and I wear it at least a few times a week. Regarding longevity: yes, it definitely is long lasting. The lingering scent stays on my jacket for days.

Where Joop is to "in your face" OS is very proportioned IMO. Love it!

my favourite creed for cold weather..

I wore Original Santal yesterday.
    As far as my bottle goes, yes it does have longevity - but it doesn't have longevity with much by way of strength, which is why I mainly think of it as only good for three or four hours.

The notion that it's main note is cinnamon confuses me. To my nose, Diesel Zero Plus is a cinnamon scent, but Original Santal isn't.
    Cheers,
    Renato

The longevity is epic!!!!

The scent however isnt anything special. Smells like some random cologne I would find in my dad's collection.

Smells too many roses . Save your money and buy Mont blanc Individuel

Thoughtful review. Well done Noirdrakkar.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    And I got it back again! I wasn't ready for it then, but now It has grown to be one of my favorit fragrances, and definitively on my top-3 Creed list.

Quote Originally Posted by Oproust View Post
    Thoughtful review. Well done Noirdrakkar.
    Agreed, very thoughtful review. I'm not sure why he got banned

One of the few Creeds I actively dislike. All I get from it is a rotten fake cinnamon thing.