Code of Conduct

Default Dissection of a rare gem: Guerlain "Coriolan" pour homme, EDT (with pictures)

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Here's to you

Guerlain "Coriolan", EDT pour Homme (1998)

Probably the most underrated fragrance in Perfumes History
    Launched in 1998, discontinued in 2001, due to very poor sales.

"You smell so elegant!" - "Yes, it's Coriolan!"

Guerlain's biggest mistake was to launch a '80 fragrance at the end of '90.
    Completely out of its time.
    But it's a rare gem, the bottle itself is a pillar of Modern Design.
    Every detail in this bottle is elegant, and the scent is still a masterpiece of "elegance".

Re-issued in 2007 limited edition with slight differences, under the name "L'Ame d'un Hero" (at very high price).
    Every perfume lover SHOULD grab a bottle of the original juice, its still quite easy to find, and not expensive.

Dimensions (centimeters)

Upper front

Upper Rear (in French)

Note: lettering or background are in Gold

Bottom front

Lateral side *IMPORTANT* note the order of ingredients: Fragrance is 2nd and Water is 3rd (usually is inverted)

Counter-lateral

Bottom Note the carved batch code (year 2001)

*IMPORTANT* The pre-2000 bottles had a different type of batch code and printed laterally (year 1998)

*IMPORTANT* Note the leather-like box

Opening with "Spray instructions"

Dimensions

Upper bottle

Opening the bottle; revealing the spray mechanism

The Spray with Guerlain logo

From above

Bottom of the bottle

Details

Guerlain proof logo over unopened bottles
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 12th January 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Default Re: Dissection of a rare gem: Guerlain "Coriolan" pour homme, EDT (with pictures)

I like Coriolan, but don't love it. Very glad to have it in my collection, though. I will say that your posts are some of the most informative on this board -- regardless of opinions on the fragrance at hand. Excellent work, sir.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dissection of a rare gem: Guerlain "Coriolan" pour homme, EDT (with pictures)

I love Coriloan vintage juice. It's a bit hard to wear for some men. It's not an instantly likable fragrance straight out of the bottle. It needs a little time to settle on your skin to appreciate it.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Nice bottle

I don't like the frag but I really enjoyed the pictorial breakdown. Very informative.
    Amazing to see the contrast of the great vintage packaging compared to today's paper thin cardboard of most modern frags.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

I was immediately intrigued when it was first released, and finally bought a bottle a year or so ago. It's unlike anything else in my collection. I don't wear it very often, but when I'm in the mood, it hits the spot. Elegant and complex. A worthy addition to the Guerlain stable.

I like your detailed pictures .

Lucky I have a full bottle of this in my collection.

Thank you for this wonderful post. As it happens, this is my SOTD!
    I didn't used to appreciate this scent until I started wearing it in very cold weather. Also my most favorite part is the lemon leaf note in the opening. I may not re-purchase it but will save the bottle for sure. It is a work of art indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I love Coriloan vintage juice. It's a bit hard to wear for some men. It's not an instantly likable fragrance straight out of the bottle. It needs a little time to settle on your skin to appreciate it.
    That's my assessment. I'd put this on and let it 'rest' a bit before heading out, then it smells terrific.

The bottle itself is a work of art.