Code of Conduct

Default Just bought A*men Taste of Fragrance

I stopped by Nordstrom today and asked if they had the new Angel Men in and the lady said they just came in and were in the back. She grabbed the only 4 or 5 boxes that were given to them and asked if I'd ever smelled it. I hadn't and she said they didn't receive a tester so she opened up one of the boxes and made it a tester just for me. I bought a bottle and she told me I was the first one to buy it from them. It was $90 tax free, same price as on the website. It smells like straight up chili pepper, the kind on those mexican watermelon flavored lollipop candies with chili pepper on it. It's strange, but I kind of like it. It doesn't smell anything like the other A*Men fragrances. Haven't worn it fully yet. The sprayer was crappy just like Pure Havane so I took a razor to it and Sweeney Todd'd the curved edge, so it sprays great now. Oh, and I got Bond No. 9 I Love New York and a couple other samples. This and Pure Havane are the only colognes I've bought when they were brand new btw, so I feel a little exclusive

One thing I noticed about the tester and the one I bought is that the bottles weren't completely clean. They had some kind of chalky, powdery residue on them. Wonder what that's all about.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Default Re: Just bought A*men Taste of Fragrance

I had to pay tax when buying mine online at nordstroms last night!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    I had to pay tax when buying mine online at nordstroms last night!
    Mine was tax free b/c I live in Alaska

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Congratulations to both

Congrats and enjoy!

I sampled it this past Saturday at Nordstrom they had one box left. I have to admit the opening was unique you could really smell the warmth of the chili paste. I walked around the mall for awhile and kept sniffing my hand and after about a half hour it took on the very familar smell of B-Men at that point I did not find it worthy of paying for.

I kind of think it is not very original from Mulger it is like a retouch up of B-Men.

Update: 2 hours after spraying, it's starting to smell like an Angel Men fragrance. The usual Mugler sweetness has come up front and the chili pepper note has gone towards the back, but is still very noticeable. I smell a little vanilla, chocolate, and coffee. The drydown thus far is proving to be quite excellent. I don't think it will top Pure Havane, but it's a good addition to my collection.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Tried it. Bought it. Love it. Unique and peppery, somewhat less on the skin (but still peppery) than on paper.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

So drydown is typical Amen? I like those mexican chili candies but I don't like the Amen drydown.

Congrats..

It's nice but remind me of he's others offering from A*Men line. Maybe they just add some pepper to spice the things up, the coffee is quite similar to Pure Coffee..

Tried this yesterday and the sour aspects of the chili ruin it for me.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    So drydown is typical Amen? I like those mexican chili candies but I don't like the Amen drydown.
    The drydown actually reminded me more of Pure Havane than original A*Men. Also, the opening smells just like those mexican chili candies. The longevity is pretty good too at around 10-12 hours. I could still faintly smell it on my wrist after 12 hours. Not as much of a sillage bomb as A*Men.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    The drydown actually reminded me more of Pure Havane than original A*Men. Also, the opening smells just like those mexican chili candies. The longevity is pretty good too at around 10-12 hours. I could still faintly smell it on my wrist after 12 hours. Not as much of a sillage bomb as A*Men.
    Thanks for the info. I've never smelled Pure Malt/Havane so I'm still not sure about the drydown. Sounds somewhat interesting though, so if I come across it in Sephora or whatever I will definitely try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've never smelled Pure Malt/Havane so I'm still not sure about the drydown. Sounds somewhat interesting though, so if I come across it in Sephora or whatever I will definitely try it out.
    Definitely worth a sampling. The drydown is a little less sweet than A*Men, but similar. It has that vanilla, chocolatey, coffee-ish smell.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

This One was really interesting. It starts far far more like a B*Men flanker than an A*Men flanker. Very "toast", very dry/burnt/smokey for a gourmand. Finishes much more like the typical A*Men drydown, but much weaker. I get only a little Chili, not alot. I like it quite a bit more than B'Men, but not sure if I want to buy yet. My GF loves it. Pure Havane is still by far my favorite flanker. I think TTOF might be ahead of pure malt. Testing again Friday.

I just got this in the mail yesterday. I ordered from Nordstrom because the Mugler site has it listed as unavailable. That sucks because I had to pay sales tax on it from Nordstrom. The fragrance itself I love it so far but I need to give it a proper wearing.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Not a big fan of it. Like someone else said, the chili opening really kills the fragrance for me and yes it does remind me of B*Men, which is my least favourite of the Mugler lineup for men.

But regardless, Congrats on your purchase !

Thinking of buying a bottle of this soon, the top notes of spice are excellent and the drydown goes towards a more Amen smell, very pleasing

I bought a bottle last week. I find the scent very appealing. On par with the original, but doesn't quite measure up to the sheer decadence of the other LE flankers. The drydown isn't as thick and heady, though the spicy chili scent up top is beautiful.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

The more I wear this the more I am seriously considering buying a second bottle... This stuff is phenomenal... Pure ChocoChili is what they should have called it!

My favorite flanker, i prefer it over Pure Havane, that was my favorite before Taste of Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    My favorite flanker, i prefer it over Pure Havane, that was my favorite before Taste of Fragrance.
    This is up there with Pure Malt and A*Men, by my taste. Definitely like this better than Pure Havane and possibly Pure Coffee. Feeling like now would be the time to pick up another reserve bottle. Such a unique and delicious frag.

for some reason the least fav of the line, will wear it more next winter and see how i like it.

Basenotes Junkie

dont like it off testing it on my wrist. does it smell any better during actual wearing??

Not a bad fragrance but behind Pure Malt and Pure Havane in my opinion, perhaps even PC trumps this.

It wears different one everyone.. I noticed this has worn differently since the first few times I tried it. I hit my wrists and my chest/neck two sprays.. Now it just is an all around great experience, a lot of chocolate in this one, which I am a huge fan of.

PM, PC, PH, PS all are better than this imo. I don't like the smell of chilli and I don't like mexican food. I sampled it a few times to give it a chance but it just didn't work.

I think I applied too much the first time I tested this, as I detested it initially. I've found I enjoy it more when I use only small amounts from my sample spray. It's a nice one, but for me it just is not quite alluring enough to go full bottle on.

I'm pretty sure that now that this one is being phased out people are going to start liking it. It is nowhere near in the same league as Malt and Havane IMHO. I like TOF, but it's not the best. Way better than Pure Shot though.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It grew on me in a major way.. It's become one I don't want to run out of ever.. Anyone interested in selling their bottles, hit me up! lol

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    It grew on me in a major way.. It's become one I don't want to run out of ever.. Anyone interested in selling their bottles, hit me up! lol
    There's still Amazon sellers selling it for around retail or a little less.

I got my bottle the other day. Unmistakably an A*Men flanker in the dry-down. This is an awesome chilli-chocolate powerhouse! Very warming and unique. A 100ml bottle can be had in the UK for under 40 (around $60). This is the pride of my humble collection at the moment and I'm wearing it as I type.