Code of Conduct

Question Dunhill Icon - thoughts?

I just purchased a 3.4 oz of Dunhill Icon (London Icon?) on Ebay. I had sufficient communication with the seller, and I felt confident enough to buy.

Anyway, I have never had a problem with blind buys - actually most of my purchases are blind, as I don't care for brick and mortar stores. Anyway....

I am a huge fan of Carlos Benaim's work, and the notes in this seem interesting. I have searched for reviews on this new fragrance, but I have only come upon a couple.

Does anyone have any first or second hand information on this? Scent, strength, silage, etc.? Outside of niche fragrances, Mr. Benaim has made a lot of my favorites. Here is hoping to another one.
    Last edited by MO2121; 15th February 2015 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Default Re: Dunhill Icon - thoughts?

Congrats on this purchase! Haven't gotten hold of this one yet but I have been contemplating buying it. Will be interested in hearing what you think of it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks, hednic.

I will post an initial review when I receive it later this week. Between the fact that it's so new, and that it's from Benaim, I'm really excited to get my hands on it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Cool looking bottle btw. Carlos Benaim created the original Polo so I'm keen to know how this fits in with Dunhill's image.
    Currently wearing: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

This looks and sounds like a winner!!!

Just received my bottle, and I may be getting a bit ahead of myself - but this stuff is amazing.

First things first - the bottle. I am not to big on the design, but I do like the weight. It is the heaviest bottle I can remember picking up.

What's inside. I have had this on for about an hour, so I'll have to revisit strength later.

My firt impression was a big opening of orange (bergamot, neroli), very TdH like. But thankfully, this only lasted 30 seconds or so. Then the stuff that makes this very good moved forward.

The mid-base notes are what makes this special, as they all blend together to tone down the orange, citrus opening to develop into a woody, earthy and very creamy scent.

This is very intriguing to me, because I know what notes to look for in this, but wouldn't be able to really single them out without knowing - sans the top notes.

The vetiver, oud and leather notes - along with everything else - gives me an earthy, vanilla (?) with very mild citrus.......at least an hour in.

I do fear a lack of strength with this, but we'll see. I will revisit this after a couple of days

Thanks for your first impressions. Sounds like a winner!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for your first impressions. Sounds like a winner!
    Definitely a winner, and IMHO, a masterpiece if it develops strength. Maybe a little air in the bottle will do it good.

And I almost forgot - once the initial top fades, which is very synthetic, the mid and base feel very natural; not synthetic at all.

Sounds like something to be excited about!!!

I just thought of another comparison - TdH + Guerlain Homme, but without the lime of the mojito.

I just wanted to update everyone.

After having this for a couple of weeks, I can say the longevity is growing - and it's not in my head. Projection is a little better too, but it will never be a monster.

I'm getting a solid 8 hours with this.

As always, YMMV

A return to greatness for the House of Dunhill? I hope so! Sounds great.

I am mildly intrigued about this.

Tried it the other day and it's pretty nice. Uses pepper the same as TdH (similar to what OP states), not especially spicy, but it wafts and is a bit warm and textural almost like it reverberates around your nose. Apart from the pepper, it's woody, not garishly out there, but very well blended.

The picture I get from smelling it is almost exactly as the advertising describes; sophisticated gentleman. I can imagine a young man in a tailored tweed (Dunhill) suit sitting in a wood panelled room in a Victorian building. He's from money (but doesn't overtly show it), stylish and full of manners.

Nice, thanks for the input! Dunhill has been a hit or miss house for me, I have tried a lot from their line. Despite many of my reviews being neutral (I tend to avoid negative reviews, because it's usually biased), I either love or hate their fragrances. I have tried a lot from their house too, virtually their entire men's catalog. Very very few have impressed me.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

I bought a bottle today.
    The bottle is the most masculine, classic bottle I own. I love it.
    If you like TdH and Guerlain Homme, you will like this too.

Glad I bought it.

Sound Scents

Benaim created an absolute masterpiece with his original Polo, and one creation like that can make an entire career. Unfortunately, his other work has generally been very spotty with a long list of disappointments (as has Dunhill's later stuff, come to think of it). As such, I am quite hesitant to even *try* this one, because I fear yet *another* disappointment, finding it hard not to want to root for the perfumer behind one of my all-time favorite compositions... At least your writeup gives me hope that while maybe Benaim doesn't have another masterpiece like original Polo in him, maybe he does have another one of his few additional winners like Liquid Night. I guess a sniff is in order after all.
    Last edited by drseid; 23rd March 2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Good Life by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Benaim created an absolute masterpiece with his original Polo, and one creation like that can make an entire career. Unfortunately, his other work has generally been very spotty with a long list of disappointments (as has Dunhill's later stuff, come to think of it). As such, I am quite hesitant to even *try* this one, because I fear yet *another* disappointment, finding it hard not to want to root for the perfumer behind one of my all-time favorite compositions... At least your writeup gives me hope that while maybe Benaim doesn't have another masterpiece like original Polo in him, maybe he does have another one of his few additional winners like Liquid Night. I guess a sniff is in order after all.
    I feel the same as you. Hate to get my hopes up. I'll wait until it comes down in price more before I risk a blind buy.
    Current faves: Aventus, Eau Des Baux, Green Irish Tweed, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Royal Oud

Any sightings of this in the States yet?

I was thinking the demise of Dunhill fragrances was complete, but I'll try it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I was thinking the demise of Dunhill fragrances was complete, but I'll try it anyway
    My take as well. This is their last gasp.
    Current faves: Aventus, Eau Des Baux, Green Irish Tweed, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Royal Oud

When Varvatos Artisan meets the peppery background of Terre d'Hermes we get Dunhill Icon. A tangeriny fragrance with some pepper and Iso E Super inside.Unfortunately, the citrusy Artisan part dominates. Well blended, though not extremely new.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    When Varvatos Artisan meets the peppery background of Terre d'Hermes we get Dunhill Icon. A tangeriny fragrance with some pepper and Iso E Super inside.Unfortunately, the citrusy Artisan part dominates. Well blended, though not extremely new.
    Sounds like something my wife would love on me.

I just bought my second bottle of this, even though I have hardly put a dent in the first one ...... just never know these days when formulations might change.

The strength is growing with this (at least on my skin) at around a good 8-10 hours, and my wife has only given me complements on THREE fragrances since I met her 13 years ago - CH Men (one time), Polo (when we first met) and this one is her favorite....... every time I wear it she just says: "you smell really good". And I really like it too.

Blind buy worthy, IMHO.