Code of Conduct

Default Curve: Good or bad?

I am getting into fragrances and I found that Curve is a 'compliment getter' and a 'panty dropper' from many reviews, but then I go on basenotes and it seems like it's a bad fragrance. Is this worth buying? Should I get it? I am a high school senior who plays football and runs track , if that information helps at all.

Default Re: Curve: Good or bad?

I won't say it's bad. I just don't find it particularly "good" either. It smells fine enough for what it costs, for sure, but if you're willing to throw down a few dollars, there are much better scents to be had. Plus if you get something else, you won't smell like half the other guys in your high school.

Sound Scents

All I can say is I didn't like it...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Blog Entries

i personally dont care for it, but its not bad. just not good (to me) either.

Not bad at all. Throughout my years with fragrances, it was good for it's era.

There's only one way to decide if a fragrance is bad or good. Spray it on your skin. Smell. Then, wait an hour. Smell again. After a few more hours, smell again. Do you like it? That's the only way to decide. I mean, really, does it matter if a ton of strangers on the internet likes or hates something? Let your own nose decide. Even if you're new to fragrances, your nose and your brain know like and dislike. Sniff and decide.

I've gotten a ton of compliments from women while wearing Curve. Literally a ton. Is it a "panty dropper"? No, but that term is ignorant anyway. No fragrance is going to make a woman fall into bed with you, BUT, if you have a personality she finds attractive and a sense of style she likes too, a compliment getter of a fragrance is like the icing on the cake that makes you more fun or more alluring to get close to.

For a 1st date, Curve is easy to recommend. It won't be popular on basenotes, but in the real world, it's easy to recommend.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There's only one way to decide if a fragrance is bad or good. Spray it on your skin. Smell. Then, wait an hour. Smell again. After a few more hours, smell again. Do you like it? That's the only way to decide. I mean, really, does it matter if a ton of strangers on the internet likes or hates something? Let your own nose decide. Even if you're new to fragrances, your nose and your brain know like and dislike. Sniff and decide.

I've gotten a ton of compliments from women while wearing Curve. Literally a ton. Is it a "panty dropper"? No, but that term is ignorant anyway. No fragrance is going to make a woman fall into bed with you, BUT, if you have a personality she finds attractive and a sense of style she likes too, a compliment getter of a fragrance is like the icing on the cake that makes you more fun or more alluring to get close to.

For a 1st date, Curve is easy to recommend. It won't be popular on basenotes, but in the real world, it's easy to recommend.
    Very well said. Completely agree with you. Kudos!

Personally don't care for it at all.

Banned
    Blog Entries

=It won't be popular on basenotes, but in the real world, it's easy to recommend.
    often a stark contrast between the two

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I personally don't care for it. There are better fragrances that you could spend your money on and differentiate yourself from the crowd somewhat.CK Shock by Calvin Klein is a better substitute and not pricey.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

For a measly $20 for the 4.2 oz it's hard to beat.

It's versatile to say the least, you really can't go wrong.

I reach for Curve, Bulgari Black and Molecule 01 the most when I don't know what else to wear.

If you're fishing for compliments from girls your age, then Curve will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    If you're fishing for compliments from girls your age, then Curve will suffice.
    Are there better ones that are compliment getters? I want a good rotation of 'solid compliment getters' and then start working on the more niche fragrances.

CologneFan85

Curve is a classic, buy it. Much better stuff out there, but its great for the money.

If you like it, buy it. I personally like it and think its a great value. I keep a small bottle in my gym bag and use it liberally. It's great to have around especially when people know you often 'smell nice' and want a hit of your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyjuicy View Post
    Are there better ones that are compliment getters? I want a good rotation of 'solid compliment getters' and then start working on the more niche fragrances.
    Yes and no. I own niche scents, designer scents and some cheapies. My niche stuff really makes me happy, and I wear it for myself. But when I'm making an effort to please someone else - like a date - Curve is a can't go wrong pick. Hanae Mori H.M. is another good one, and it can be found online for not too much. If you like Acqua Di Gio, Perry Ellis 360 Red is a great pick. Honestly, there are tons of choices. The trick is to figure out what YOU like, because if you wear what you like, you'll feel better wearing it. That may sound dumb, but how you feel about yourself plays a big role in your attractiveness to others. Everybody likes to date a winner, right? Feeling good makes it easier to feel like - and thus act like - a winner.

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, you want to smell good without smelling like "OMFG I'M WEARIN' COLOGNE TO BED YOU!!!" So, find a fragrance you like... something that strikes a chord with you. Y'know? Today, for example, I was sniffing a bunch of new things and I liked a lot of them, but a few made me stop and think "I could definitely wear this!" Find something that fits you and you'll be more confident wearing it.

Good luck, and welcome to basenotes!

CologneFan85

I remember when it was a HUGE seller in the early 2000's, everyone wore it.

If I recall properly, it was *way* too much like women's perfume. At least to me. Scrubbed it off as quick as I could.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    If I recall properly, it was *way* too much like women's perfume. At least to me. Scrubbed it off as quick as I could.
    I can see what you mean. It was a projection beast though!

I was going to reply to this thread, but you covered everything I was going to say. Good post.

Get some Curve. Its good and it will get you compliments, which is exactly what you want. Girls love it.
    Dont bother about wasting money on any niche frags for several years.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Get some Curve. Its good and it will get you compliments, which is exactly what you want. Girls love it.
    Dont bother about wasting money on any niche frags for several years.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Okay thank you guys! Burberry London or Curve? I'm obviously going to try both on and see which I like better, but in your opinion guys what do you like better? what garners more compliments? etc

I am getting into fragrances and I found that Curve is a 'compliment getter' and a 'panty dropper' from many reviews, but then I go on basenotes and it seems like it's a bad fragrance.
    Welcome to Basenotes, where the popular frags are shunned and the strange smelling high dollar frags are praised. J/K. But seriously, it might not appeal to many here b/c it's a very cheap fragrance and lacks depth. However, I guarantee that 99/100 women will choose Curve over anything by Frederick Malle or Guerlain any day of the week. It's an immense compliment getter. It smells very pleasant, projects very well, leaves a big scent trail, and lasts a long time for an EDC. Is it a panty dropper? No, b/c no fragrance is a panty dropper. Is it a bad fragrance? Hell no. Buy it. You'll be happy you did.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Overcome By Fumes

That.

I wore Curve for Men for a while before I got into fragrances, but got annoyed by a metallic acrid tone that it had underneath the thin vanillaishness. It was actually an inspiration for me to find something better and actually test fragrances out to see if I liked them rather than just for the name, or the look of the bottle, or if the sales clerk said it was the best new thing. If you just want things that are popular and don't care too much about the smell for yourself, this is not a bad choice.

Curve is not up my alley...but to each his own. I think here on BN we take. Measure of pride in finding or wearing the rare or niche thing, so you have to take that into consideration. I'd recommend Encre noire if you want a unique scent that probably no one has smelled at your school.

Vetiver scents are TOTALLY LOST on the teenage years and high school, sadly.

Checkout FragranceNet.com

Plenty of nice scents around $30 with a 20% off coupon code

Versace Dreamer
    Burberry Brit
    Rochas Man
    RL Polo Blue
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

As others have said, nothing at all wrong with Curve.
    I've worn it in the past, and used to like it. It's cheap too.

However, if you can, I would strongly recommend sampling
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme. It's pretty cheap as well, as far
    as fragrances go, and in my experience, it's a better
    compliment getter than Creed's Aventus.

It's clean and masculine, and I've never smelled it on another
    guy. The women I know like it. Not sure if it would be a big
    hit with teenage girls, but it's unique, and you won't smell like
    any other guy at school. But, as others have said, pick something
    YOU like and are comfortable wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    However, I guarantee that 99/100 women will choose Curve over anything by Frederick Malle or Guerlain any day of the week.
    Change "women" to "high school girls" to make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I've actually never had a high school girl compliment me on Curve. Only Women 21 and older

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

This. Totally this. Who gives a shit what I think? Do I give a shit that most of you dislike one of my most recent purchases, Play Sport? No, no I don't. I enjoy it, and I wear it for myself, and that's what this hobby is all about. Unless, of course, you just want to get compliments, in which case Curve, AdG, and other tried and true best sellers over the years are always your best bet.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sound Scents

Welcome to Basenotes, where the popular frags are shunned and the strange smelling high dollar frags are praised. ...I guarantee that 99/100 women will choose Curve over anything by Frederick Malle or Guerlain any day of the week.
    How much are you paying out for that guarantee?
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    How much are you paying out for that guarantee?
    $100 in Monopoly currency

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. If it's popular in real life, it's guaranteed to be considered a "boring", "generic", or "cheap" fragrance on this forum. I haven't had girls swoon over me when I wear Terre D'Hermes or Chanel Egoiste. However, when I bring out the Curve and Acqua Di Gio, the compliments are bountiful. Not to say that positive compliments from women should be the sole reason to wear a certain fragrance, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Okay thank you guys! Burberry London or Curve? I'm obviously going to try both on and see which I like better, but in your opinion guys what do you like better? what garners more compliments? etc
    Curve is more versatile. You can wear it any time of day, any time of year. London is excellent, but it's nowhere near as versatile. Would I recommend it? SURE! ...if you smell it and you like it.

Trust me when I say not to look for someone to say "Buy this one! It's the answer." Sure, many will say that. Hell, *I* might even stupidly say that. But the truth is, if you find something you like and feel confident wearing, you'll have found your answer. Just about every person on this forum is looking for his or her holy grail scent. The search for "it" is half the fun! Aaaaaaaand it's the reason our credit card companies love us (though I pay that balance off every month because I'll be damned if I'm handing them free cash in interest!!!)

Part of the reason I recommend Curve is that it's so cheap and gets so many compliments, which means it's a fine place to begin.

Like I said above, if I were you, I'd come up with around $75 to $100 to buy a starting trio.
    - Something super versatile. Curve fits the bill.
    - Something great for hot weather. PE 360 Red, or Nautica Voyage. Cool Water or Chrome.
    - Something darker or gourmand for winter nights. Bvlgari Black maybe. Michael Jordan Legend or Animale Animale.

A trio like that would have you easily set up for ages, and it would cost you under $100. Curve, PE Red and Bv Black could be had for as little as $65 total. Curve, PE Red and MJ Legend for as little as $50!

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I've actually never had a high school girl compliment me on Curve. Only Women 21 and older
    I agree 100% with mesa. As a brand name, Curve had a reputation as a teen product, but that's due to the poor job of marketing by Claiborne rather than being due to the actual smell. These days, I think it's been mostly forgotten as things like Bleu, Guilty, A-Men and 1 Million are all the rage.

Curve has gotten me compliments from women in their 20s, 30s and even 40s. And not once have I ever had anyone guess I was wearing Curve, though a few were really surprised when I told them what it was.

I got it, got 5 compliments 3 from family(but they didn't know I bought it, so they weren't being nice or anything) and 2 from random ladies (one in early 20s? and one late 20s early 30s?).

Anyways I liked it I feel like its a projection monster, I don't know how long it lasts, but it my dad from the backseat could smell it when I just had 2 sprays. I kind of get a bubble gum scent? I don't know I can't really give it a good review, my nose is a rookie and I am sick. I love it though.

I can see why it gets a lot of compliments, it's a safe scent not the best scent, but good enough and simple enough to get compliments. And everyone says they get a synthetic scent? I don't really get that, maybe it's my stuffy nose or maybe it just works well on me but I really don't get it. I also read it smells like A&F fierce is this true?

How many sprays should I put on? I'm thinking 4 max? Front of neck, back of neck, and both wrists is good enough?

Your lucky it lasts and projects on your skin, it absolutely doesn't on mine. But 4 Sounds about right.

Great fragrance.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Your lucky it lasts and projects on your skin, it absolutely doesn't on mine. But 4 Sounds about right.

Great fragrance.
    I might have spoken too soon. I can smell it but not many other people can? Is that weird? Like I have the scent in my head all day, but nobody says anything and I even asked a good friend of mine and he said he barely smells anything. And i believe it lasts a good 4-5 hours?

I found Curve on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx. $10 for 75ml. I remembered reading good reviews. I figure $10 can be wasted on a cheeseburger and fries, so why not pick this up and add it to my collection?

This is my inital impression of Curve. The first spray smelled good. A citrus sweet burst. It is a weak scent on my skin, doesn't project, but is a pleasant scent, and inofensive. It reminds me of walking in the stores that sell body oils and fruity soaps. It smells slightly feminine. Perhaps it will change when it drys down.

You should get it. Smells great.