Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default SotD: Sunday 13th Jan 2013.

Good morning all. Will it or won't it ?. Sun appears to be playing hide and seek here - seems as though the UK contingent may have to wait for their blue sky fix. Snow possible tomorrow allegedly.

Managed a quick hop across to Paris on the Eurostar yesterday and predictably returned with a purchase - SotD for today is Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Default Re: SotD: Sunday 13th Jan 2013.

We have a constant snowing since Friday evening here. Everything is covered with fluffy white caps. Wanted to put on some L'Eau d'Hiver but a little sample is the only amount I got. I covet it and went for something else. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue Pour Le Matin that is.

How nice being just able to hop over to Paris for a day, Jon! Congrats on your purchase!
    Light snowfall here, but a few inches expected overnight and more to come next week. I guess it's winter, eh
    Vega last night and today. Incredibly good.

Bonjour!

Hello all, mainly rain here. FM Une Rose sample.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Congrats on your purchase, Jon, and enjoy! Thank you for the beautiful photos and music.

Joining Larimar in Guerlain, Attrape Coeur for me.

Wish you all a lovely Sunday.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hi all!
    I m wearing Cabotine EdT today. I know some consider this a real stinker, but I like it very much.

Cold outside means cold indoors, because if we have the heat on at max, the fuses will pop. Brrr...(that s a good excuse to cuddle up on the couch under two layers of blankets, watching "The Big Bang Theory" on DVD with DD all day, right? We both have a small crush on Sheldon. We also have hot cocoa and cinnamon buns).

Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Yay, the sun is out today! Oh pleeeeease let it last a few days this time! No sign of snow here, but it is cold.

Last night's lndian meal went down a treat, & Ginger matched the atmosphere perfectly.

Today l'm sampling Geisha Rouge EDP by Aroma M. The cinnamon note is warming me nicely.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Nice Jon!

I have left himself at the new house demolishing the bathroom. I'm doing other things and snatching two minutes peace.Trying Slumberhosue Norne again today from a sample. I thought that I would like this but it does nothing for me.

Will change later after getting scrubbed up.

Yes Quarry. I'll tell you about the new adventure next week!

Our central Europe small country is cold and cloudy today. I enjoy dense, sweet, heavy scents recently. Went for Angel the Taste of Fragrance.

Tsk Tsk! I am in too much of a hurry and I have been very rude! So, Thank You everyone for the good wishes for my new home. That is important to me,

and kalli, the smell? Well I like my home to smell like Santa Maria Novella Pot Pourri, a mash of fermented flowers, herbs and resins. I really love it. I have some in a special pot that lets it difuse. I bought it in Italy earlier this year and I have kept intact.

((((Mike)))), always a good hugger at times of need. Right back atcha Mike.

Welcome Veroniche, so nice to see you!

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Sunday 13th Jan 2013.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good afternoon. The forecast said light snow in Milan, but no snow in sight just the usual grey, dull sky!

No proper SotD, just a drop of ELdO Nombril Immense, as a step in my patchouli exercises. It's time to give Bornéo a little brother or sister, given the love I have towards the note ...
    Last edited by iodine; 13th January 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Magellan by Fragonard

Old New Year's today - hence Estee Lauder Private Collection (original juice) - it always smelled very Christmassy-NewYears' to me. Layered EdP over Body Lotion.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

queen of the universe

Lovely video, Jon. I watched it and read everyone's fragrance reports with a cozy cup of caffe latte made with goat milk. Yes, deelish.

It's been raining for about 12 hours here in Cleveland, after a balmy 60°F yesterday. Saw iris leaf tips and even poppy leaves peeking up quite prematurely. Winter without snow is so grey, no leaves on the trees, no flowers (crocuses are a week or two away), and the wet aggravates my arthritis. Fragrance to the rescue! I combine three rather blunt smells to make my own sandalwood/rose/jasmine potion: Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente (locion formula), Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, and Donna Karan Essence Jasmine combine to fight off cabin fever. I reserve the right to add Liz Taylor's Gardenia to this unsubtle mix. Maybe I'll spray that onto my Sunday Times (;

A lovely Sunday to all.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Nice Jon!

I have left himself at the new house demolishing the bathroom. I'm doing other things and snatching two minutes peace.Trying Slumberhosue Norne again today from a sample. I thought that I would like this but it does nothing for me.

Will change later after getting scrubbed up.

Yes Quarry. I'll tell you about the new adventure next week!
    The shape of nailheads, the composition of mortar, your preferences in wallpaper -- we will hang on your every word.

I luuuurve that Diptyque photo, Jon. I choose to believe the time of day is predawn, my fave--the lighting, the dew evaporating, the quiet and shortage of people--the shop holds the promise of possibilities, and its architecture entertains those of us who know how to read its details like a book. Pure happiness.

All of our piddly snow melted yesterday, but we got a new half inch over night.

24 Faubourg edt on the back of my hands, oolong tea in the mug, Sunday newspaper on the twin-bed/coffeetable/footstool between the couch and the TV, which is playing CBS "Sunday Morning."

Fiori de Krizia.

FM Musc Ravageur today. Rrrrrrrrr!

Basenotes Plus

Joining the Guerlain crew today, Guerlain, Attrape Coeur.....with oak moss. Mmmm, mmmmm good!

It didn't get as icy as it was forecasted here in St Louis. Still cold but not the below zero temps out west.

Last edited by RHM; 13th January 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear teardrop is seeing some sun! I think we switched places, it is now grey and cold here. Always hated Sundays as a kid and gloomy ones like today remind me why; it's a day that feels long and boring to me. Come on spring! Really, what do we need winter for once the holidays are over?! Lol!

Enjoy your new smelly, Jon! You deserved a treat!

I have been a good little sampler this week; really made a dent in my stash! Am rewarding myself by wearing my own HdP Tubereuse 1 today. A little re-setting of the nose before another week of sampling.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Jon, you lucky beast! Being able to simply "pop over" to Paris. Sigh. And such a lovely fragrance you brought back with you. Thank you for the wonderful photos and music. I love it. I can't wait to go.

Teardrop, I'm glad you're finally seeing some sun -- but if you could pretty please figure out a way to send some of the rain back to the central US, we would very much appreciate it. We're in our 6th month of exceptional drought, and I really fear what this summer will look like without some relief.

Yesterday I attended the funeral of my good friend's father. I once again turned to the comfort of Tam Dao but this time added a few dabs of Serge Lutens De Profundis, and it was achingly lovely. My friend's father was a huge, lovable presence for his friends and family, and went so far as to insist that no slow music be played at his funeral -- only stuff you can dance to. It's the first funeral I've ever attended where the recessional was Ode to Joy -- but it was so very fitting.

Quarry's got me in the mood for violets, so I'm in Arquiste Aleksandr today.

Hugs to all.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Banned

JON lucky youuuuuuuuuu! , i have not tried that one yet but i love their perfumes!!

I have finally ordered all Veroprofumo samples!! wooohoooo am so happy! Perfumedcourt is unbeleivably stingy, making 0.25ml sample! jezus, so that was out of the question

Easyfish talking of CDG made you wear it today? i am about to put my nose into that house more,they are all so complex and original!...will try that 1st one , i did not like much really when i first tried it, i read yesterday here on forum that it has some healing properties!! such a great idea!! although it smells of capsuled fish oil to me

snow here made perfect scene for wearing Insolence EDP

Foustie congratulations on your new purchase , let me know if i can share some samples with you!
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th January 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - L'Heure Bleue.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs to ((Twolf)) and ((Mike)).

Must be "comfort food day" around here. I just made a huge pot of kale sautéed with olive oil and garlic, a pot of organic whole grain polenta (my tweak of this recipe is that I add a bit of teff, the tiny high-protein grain that grows only in highland Ethiopia), there are 2 loaves in the bread machines, and for tonight my husband has requested pasta e fagioli.

SotD is Fico di Amalfi.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 13th January 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Wonderful pic, Jon!
    I decided to wear my Opus V sample tonight. All of it. It smells good so far, but curious how it develops.

Blog Entries

Thanks PerfumedLady & ExtremeK! l am willing the rain to make its way over to those of you who need it.

SOTE is Dior Addict, & we're off out for a couple of beers. Not too many, as l have to be up for an early shift in the morning.

Have a relaxing evening, everyone!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Teardrop, I'm glad you're finally seeing some sun -- but if you could pretty please figure out a way to send some of the rain back to the central US, we would very much appreciate it. We're in our 6th month of exceptional drought, and I really fear what this summer will look like without some relief.

Yesterday I attended the funeral of my good friend's father. I once again turned to the comfort of Tam Dao but this time added a few dabs of Serge Lutens De Profundis, and it was achingly lovely. My friend's father was a huge, lovable presence for his friends and family, and went so far as to insist that no slow music be played at his funeral -- only stuff you can dance to. It's the first funeral I've ever attended where the recessional was Ode to Joy -- but it was so very fitting.
    The funerals of longtime friends' parents were not one of the marker passages I anticipated in youth. They're different experiences from relatives'. I'm glad you could get something of a feel-good feeling reflecting on his life rather than dwelling on his absence.

Reading in the Sunday paper about whacky weather everywhere, I, too, wonder what the next growing season will bring. Poor farmers, how can they plan? And then Beijing had literally off-the-chart air pollution particulates. Pretty hard to enjoy smelling fragrances when you're wearing a mask or respirator.

Evening all.

Olfactive Studio Autoportrait woody pencil shavings to my nose. Not sure what the notes are.

Jon lucky you "popping" to Paris for the day. As. Leeds fan that was probably a wise move....

30R comfort food it is, chicken and sausage casserole with potato and celeriac mash tonight. A beef stew thickened with orzo (strange combo but works beautifully) and a fennel scented sausage hotpot later in the week with eastern European braised red cabbage which has cloves, vinegar, apples and onion, perfect with the fennel sausage. These will improve with keeping and will be eaten during the week

Snow in Gods Own County overnight which thawed in the sun today. Freezing now and snow forecast overnight again. The drive to the city of seven hills will be interesting tomorrow.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Jon lucky you "popping" to Paris for the day. As. Leeds fan that was probably a wise move....
    Absolutely. The result was so utterly predictable. Congrats .

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    30R comfort food it is, chicken and sausage casserole with potato and celeriac mash tonight. A beef stew thickened with orzo (strange combo but works beautifully) and a fennel scented sausage hotpot later in the week with eastern European braised red cabbage which has cloves, vinegar, apples and onion, perfect with the fennel sausage. These will improve with keeping and will be eaten during the week....

Sounds marvelous! And yes, some foods definitely taste even better the next day!

Giving my nose a break today- but longingly sniffing my empty Hermes bottles (Voyage d'Hermes and Un Jardin Sur le Nil, both gifts from my dear fiance.)

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys!!!! My bf and I are engaged since November!!!! Soon I will be *Mrs.* Casey.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Giving my nose a break today- but longingly sniffing my empty Hermes bottles (Voyage d'Hermes and Un Jardin Sur le Nil, both gifts from my dear fiance.)

Oh, I forgot to tell you guys!!!! My bf and I are engaged since November!!!! Soon I will be *Mrs.* Casey.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I was wearing Vent Vert today, the vintage extrait. Now sniffing the last recognizable traces on my wrist. Wonderful; the warmth and softness in the end contains everything I love about perfume. C'est le Vent Parfait maintenant.
    But maybe it just seems so divine to me because it's almost gone…

Hello! It's good to read your posts. They make me smile. I had no shower or bath today so it was a perfect day for an all over spritz of Bal a Versailles edc. It smells best when your natural skin oils have not been stripped by hot baths/showers. B-belle is down in Atlanta so I have the house to myself and can reek up the place to my heart's content. It's been nice, but now it's going into week 2, and I'm like... I think we'll be relocating to Atlanta. The mere thought of moving is exhausting...yet exciting. I dream and meander when I should be clearing cupboards and closets and de-possessing myself of useless possessions while there is the time to do that. I hope you all have a good week! xo

summer means fireflys

I am testing Kerosene Copper Skies today and OMG it is gorgeous! Very rich and just wonderfully sweet with touches of spice, herbs and tobacco. I totally love it and totally want it! BTW, I had won a full bottle of his R'Oud Elements from a Facebook group giveaway celebrating his one year anniversary. John was very generous to also throw in some samples and I'm very grateful to be testing his wonderful scents. Some of you who want to love Ambre Sultan but find it too incense-y or dry or whatever please try Copper Skies ... it might be just what you are looking for.

Notes: amber, cedar, sweet tobacco leaves, honeycomb, basil and cloves

lilybelle, moving to Atlanta? That's exciting, but yes, exhausting too. How's the housing market where you now live? Will you have any trouble selling your house? I hear Atlanta is a buyer's market right now with good deals to be found. (not that I'm an expert!)

Congratulations to misscasey! Have you set a date? We would love to hear some details, if you want to share!

And speaking of comfort food ... pot roast with carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight! Hubby put it in the crock pot hours ago and it smells SO good!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I am latelatelate today! and it is already night. SotE is Balmain's Miss Balmain.

Foustie, it's too bad Norne didn't hit the right notes with you -- I absolutely love it! It's the first green fragrance that really appeals to me. And it's a powerhouse, so all the better.

Speaking of powerhouses, shades, I love Copper Skies, too. I bought a 5ml decant of it, but it may turn into a full bottle next fall. It's really fantastic.

misscasey, congratulations! What wonderful news! When's the happy day?

Greetings, all. Hope everyone is having a nice windup to their weekend.

So I accidentally posted earlier today in the guys SOTD thread -- oops. As I said there, I started the day wearing Profumum Confetto, which was really warm and cozy feeling on this rather chilly day.

Then, just before going out to dinner, I dabbed on sample of Knize Ten Golden Edition, on the inside of one forearm. Interesting experience. My initial reaction was a resounding NO, way too "perfumey". I put on a long sleeve shirt and forgot about it. Didn't really notice it much during dinner (Thai food, very fragrant.) Then, just now, I took a sniff and realized that it smells kind of amazing. Wow.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Serge Lutens De Profundis.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Great news-- congratulations!

Congrats Miss Casey!

Been able to wear a little bit of perfume again after those really horrible allergies! Put a little bit(little) of Stella.

LOL, I won some perfume off of a blog but barely missed the deadline to respond... I never win anything but then I do and I miss the deadline. Ugh. LOL. Been watching those play-offs I guess lol... what can I say?
    Last edited by kalli; 14th January 2013 at 03:26 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Creed Original Vetiver