Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two recs needed: color corrector for redness & eye makeup remover

Hey, guys. I was wondering if you have any product suggestions for the above. Two issues I'm having at the moment are:

(1) Thorough removal of eye makeup -- Currently using Sephora waterproof makeup removal fluid. It seems to work ok when I use it at night, but then I come out of my shower the next morning with raccoon eyes from residual mascara. The caveat here is that I have a texture issue with putting creams or oils all over my eyes (like Ponds or the like) so prefer something liquid. if possible.

(2) Color correcting makeup -- Looking for something long lasting to cover redness in my skin. I get very flushed looking, and often don't have a lot of opportunity at work to touch up my makeup. I really like the light-ish coverage foundations I'm using (Bare Minerals Ready & a sample of the Armani Maestro) and don't want to go heavier there. So looking for something to do just spot coverage where needed. See all kinds of green and yellow toned products out there for this, but all get very mixed reviews.

Any recommendations based on your experience would be very much appreciated!
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two recs needed: color corrector for redness & eye makeup remover

I don't know about colour correctors, but for makeup removal I like Bioderma Sensibio Micellar Water, which seems to remove makeup better than any other product I've tried. (It even did a good job on a person who I made up as a woman for a recent show including waxing out and redrawing his eyebrows; the Bioderma took the wax/makeup mess off really well where even baby oil only did a half-*** job.) Note that for things like a close waterline eyeliner application I still need to get in there with a soaked Q-tip or something to get everything off.

I've tried three or four other types of micellar waters (got them as samples on various occasions) and none of them seem to do as good a job as the Bioderma, plus having extra scent and things added.

Note, however, that I do not use waterproof mascara (I use tubing mascara, which comes off with water). I do use long-lasting/smudgeproof/24-hour gel liners though.

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert here, but sometimes I watch Lisa Eldridge's videos. For makeup removal, she suggests Bioderma Crealine H20, which I gifted to my sister, who likes it; I don't know if it's sold in the US though. Interesting that it is the same brand suggested also by Compassrose.

As for concealers, I don't remember specifics, but I remember videos of hers where she discusses different types of concealers, those for tiny spots like pores etc or those for somewhat larger areas (as in the case of redness), as well as the importance of picking the right color and even mixing different ones if the right color doesn't exist.

If interested, you can probably search in her videos:
    www.lisaeldridge.com

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both! Will definitely check out the Bioderma line.

@ CompassRose -- I, too, use non-waterproof mascara but long lasting gel eyeliners, so it definitely sounds like that might work for me.

@ Cacio -- Great suggestion! I forgot about Lisa Eldridge. I have watched a few of her eyeshadow tutorials; will do a search there re: concealers.
    - Bruce Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I like MAC Studio Fix powder foundation to help tone down redness. You can use just a little for sheerness, or as much as you need for extra coverage, and it's not expensive. Keep it in your bag for touch ups. Don't let them sell you NW or W for "warm" skin because of pinky tones (their color system). If your skin is flushed NW will just make it look more so, ime. I had to take my last one back twice before I got one that didn't make me look pink/flushed. Get N for neutral in a shade that matches. Or you can give it a try anyway. Those SAs never get me, but there is a wide range of shades so there is always one that will work.

Adding... sorry, I have no eye makeup remover recs. I rarely bother with mascara anymore, and I use Ponds, which you've said is no good for you. I hope you find a good one. I used to use L'Oreal and Lancome.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd February 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1) Clinique's eye makeup remover works well for me. Creams don't work for me either.

2)About 2 years ago when I had problems with red marks from acne, I used Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer in Correcting Green. I don't know if this is still sold in stores. You can buy it off Amazon or eBay, but I don't know if the stock is fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend foundation or concealer with good coverage instead of green correctors. But just there where you need coverage, not on entire face.

Try Bobby Brown Even Finish Compact Foundation Or face touch up stick. I love both since they helped me out of problem skin periods)))

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the additional suggestions! I will look into the products you guys have mentioned.

For the record, I bought a small bottle of the Bioderma and I'm really liking it. Probably going to purchase a larger bottle. It does a nice job getting the makeup off and I LOVE that it's totally unscented and not oily. Very clean and pure feeling.

I also tried a couple of the yellowy color correcting products that I saw getting pretty good reviews on Sephora...a Clinique redness concealer (stick) and the Bare Minerals Redness Remedy (a powder). Don't like either one. The Clinique was cakey under my foundation and the BM didn't last any longer than just my foundation alone. Actually, the thing that's been working best is a cheapish drugstore concealer (L'Oreal, I think) in combination with the Armani foundation.
    - Bruce Lee

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi FooDog,

Both yellow & green are used for color correction for redness. Your base skin tone will determine which will work better for you. Sometimes we just have to experiment a bit! And don't be afraid of the green! If it's the right option for you, it blends in beautifully. If the stick corrector is too heavy you might want to consider a liquid. I know Lancome used to make correctors in little squeeze tubes. Good luck!

Oops! Just saw that Hayven recommended green too! Well, you might give it a shot.