Code of Conduct

Default What smells like Burberry London with better longevity and silage ?

Hey fragrance community i like Burberry London but it is gone off my skin in 15 minutes. Can you advise a similar fragrance but with better projection ?

Thanks

Default Re: What smells like Burberry London with better longevity and silage ?

Bogart Pour Homme

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

i might be crazy but pure malt in the first hour

Post Thanks / Like

The tobacco-boozy notes still present, but more powerhouse and most likely, less structured and smooth, Zino Davidoff

Post Thanks / Like

Smthn must be wrong with your bottle 'cause Burberry London lasts 10+ hours

Post Thanks / Like

@SexInABottle
    That's very strange as the same lasts on skin for over 8 hours. you can try Gucci pH

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    I don't get that at all, but I absolutely love London and would love to find a niche version of it that lasts longer. London is one of my favorite neglected fragrances in my collection.

Bogart Pour Homme is indeed a viable option here, although the Bogart has a Cherry and Tobacco accord in addition to the spice that aren't in London

Nothing.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Post Thanks / Like

CK One Shock for Him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Smthn must be wrong with your bottle 'cause Burberry London lasts 10+ hours
    totally agree!
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I get monster longevity with London
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

London lasted for a long time on me, probably eight hours or so.

Tried out CK One Shock to find out if it could be some sort of a substitute, but it's not. Way sweeter - and not at all my cup of tea, while I find London fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Nothing.
    +1!

Post Thanks / Like

It definitely does not last on my skin as I put it on at 9:30am this morning and its already gone (and this is after applying lotion before spraying my hand). I can get 8hrs of Burberry Touch by the same method. Not to mention, there was no time after the 1st hour that I even noticed it was there. By applying to my sweater/shirt, I can smell this for an entire work day, start to finish. It's also sweeter on my clothes than on my skin, which is much appreciated actually. For those whose skin devours this fragrance, try spraying your garments. The whole hot spot thing doesn't work in this case, as I've tried that also. Just doesn't work with my skin (probably a pH thing).
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense
    Thierry Mugler Taste of Fragrance
    Prada Amber Intense Pour Homme

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I haven't encountered anything that smells similar to London. Its spicy and boozy signature is pretty unique to my nose. I'd love to hear others suggestions though...
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing similar to Burberry London, at least for now, or at least not that I encountered such fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Nothing similar to Burberry London, at least for now, or at least not that I encountered such fragrance.
    Baldinini Man is astoundingly similar.

Exact same spices and tobacco, less florals, less lavender, slightly more apple/fruit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Baldinini Man is astoundingly similar.

Exact same spices and tobacco, less florals, less lavender, slightly more apple/fruit.
    Very much obliged, sir

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

London's longevity is made out to be worse than it is IMO. Probably because it's such a lovely smell that people want it to last forever.

I get about 7-8 hours where I can smell it on myself although it can be sketchy.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot smell Burberry on my skin after 20-30 minutes. This scent is very nice but it is very strange that the longevity is very bad.

I am surprised to hear some people have around 10 hours longevity.

London probably same as Gucci PH II has few different batches with extremely different longevity. People here keep complaining about longevity on both... with Gucci II I am getting 8+ hours with good sillage, but unfortunately I own bad (just carded sample for now) batch of London that doesnt project at all and lasts maybe 4 hours.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Post Thanks / Like

If Burberry London isn't working for you I think Eau Des Baux by L'Occitane and Carven Homme are excellent alternatives. They are similar, but don't smell the same, and achieve a similar effect--Eau des Baux especially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sashamoss View Post
    I cannot smell Burberry on my skin after 20-30 minutes. This scent is very nice but it is very strange that the longevity is very bad.

I am surprised to hear some people have around 10 hours longevity.
    Just because you cannot smell it on your skin doesn't mean it is not there. Unless your skin is hot enough to ignite cotton clothing, nothing should evaporate that quickly.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

I get decent longevity with this, and people comment on it well after I think it has disappeared. If you genuinely have issues with its strength, just douse yourself with it or reapply, as this is a very affordable fragrance (I got my 100 ml bottle for a shade over $25 from Walgreens a while back).

Post Thanks / Like

I find La Nuit and Ck Shock! to be in the same vein, where la nuit is the sweetest of the three and Shock! is sort of in the middle between them.

Oh and to get london to last a bit longer try to double-tap; as in, if you normally do three sprays, do double sprays to each normal spraypoint. Works for me.

Chergui
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

I just got chergui today. I do love it but I don't see to many similarities. It's really sweet and definitely smell hay. La nuit seems a little closer with the dry down to me but still sweeter. London always seemed drier? If that's the the word I'm looking for. I don't think anything smells quite like London. One of my favorite scents.

D'orsay - Le Dandy imo has a similar vibe.
    But this is just from recollection since I dont own London or Le Dandy.

I would say nothing. I actually sit for an hour lastnight with it on and just kept sniffing. Ive seen some stuff come close to the peppery note and the sweetness but nothing is up there. I wish it had better longevity but I noticed when I started using Vaseline scent free for men lotion since I have dry skin it helped out a lot. Dry skin is like a sponge to anything including fragrances.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

can someone who purchased london from fragrancenet or walgreens tell me about the longevity on their bottle?

L'Uomo by Trussardi has the same kind of sweet/spicy/tobacco accord that London does, but it's in the drydown so it lasts a long time. However, it isn't as strong, though you can spray more. Notes for L'Uomo are: "Top notes are lavender, bergamot, tangerine, tarragon and tomato leaf; middle notes are geranium, virginia cedar, nutmeg, incense and rose; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, amber, benzoin, vanille and tobacco" (from fragrantica.com).

Post Thanks / Like

By a long stretch, but also apple-pie cinnamon-y Christmas-spicy: Nol Au Balcon and L'Anarchiste.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It has good longevity, moderate projection. If you can't smell it after 30 minutes you're either anosmic to something in it or you've got olfactory fatigue.

There's nothing truly comparable that I've ever smelled. I just wore it again yesterday and was once again floored with it. It's moved into top 20, maybe top 10 status for me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It has good longevity, moderate projection. If you can't smell it after 30 minutes you're either anosmic to something in it or you've got olfactory fatigue.
    I disagree 100%. I am no newbie and I've sampled it on my ankle to make sure olfactory fatigue was not an issue. The opening lasts 1-2 hours, IIRC, and then it's a light spicy/woody scent. The port wine note is gone, never to return, at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

London really is fantastic. There's nothing like it
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I disagree 100%. I am no newbie and I've sampled it on my ankle to make sure olfactory fatigue was not an issue. The opening lasts 1-2 hours, IIRC, and then it's a light spicy/woody scent. The port wine note is gone, never to return, at that point.
    You disagree with what? I said if you can't smell it after 30 minutes you're anosmic or it's olfactory fatigue. You said the opening alone lasts 1-2 hours. Your' saying the opening lasts 2-4 times longer than the time I listed. The rest lasts 6-10 hours or more, it is just soft and quiet.

So what do you disagree with? That it has moderate projection? Well, I think it does, and I think you would too if you sprayed your chest (more heat) than your ankle.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The OP wants a frag with better longevity, but you seem to think it's fine. 30 minutes might be the case, as I said, "IIRC." I know it's not long. My skin chemistry seems to be better for longevity, so I am not surprised if someone is getting 30-40 minutes of the opening (including the port wine note). I have worn London several times in different ways, just to be sure. The OP is having issues that many of us, including non-newbies, have had. Thus, you saying that London is fine and that it's olfactory fatigue isn't providing anything useful to this discussion, IMO.

Scents just don't disappear off the skin in 15 mins as the OP claims. I'm sorry, the musks present in any modern scent are never going to disappear in 15 minutes. Thus, if it's not anosmia - and it isn't, necessarily - different application methods or such may improve perceived longevity. I guarantee the longevity is longer than 15 minutes to those around the OP. It's just fact.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I said the port wine note didn't last that long. It's impossible to know what the OP was smelling, as it's very common for the mind to register one note more than another, whereas another person registers a different note as coming across as "strong." This is why I wear frags that I think show promise several times and in different ways. Whatever London becomes in 1-2 hours (with my skin chemistry), it's not something I'd pay for (I have swapped for it), given that I have the Trussardi and also Ignis, both of which have that quality that lasts a long time. There's also Cadillac Extreme, which is a bit "synthetic" to me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    It definitely does not last on my skin as I put it on at 9:30am this morning and its already gone (and this is after applying lotion before spraying my hand). I can get 8hrs of Burberry Touch by the same method. Not to mention, there was no time after the 1st hour that I even noticed it was there. By applying to my sweater/shirt, I can smell this for an entire work day, start to finish. It's also sweeter on my clothes than on my skin, which is much appreciated actually. For those whose skin devours this fragrance, try spraying your garments. The whole hot spot thing doesn't work in this case, as I've tried that also. Just doesn't work with my skin (probably a pH thing).
    Well, there is no fragrance on the market that will last as long on your hands as they do on you neck, chest, or clothes. The extremedies of your body will always be a lower temperature than the core of your body. My hands are usually much cooler than my neck and chest, due to poor blood circulation. But, the catch is, when you spray your neck or chest, olfactory fatigue sets in and after 3 or 4 hours of your nose constantly smelling something, you wont be able to detect it, while others can still very easily detect it on you. So the only way to know for sure is to spray your chest or neck and see if others can smell the fragrance on you after an amount of time you deem acceptable for a fragrance to last on your skin. Otherwise, application to clothing or hair is suitable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    Well, there is no fragrance on the market that will last as long on your hands as they do on you neck, chest, or clothes. The extremedies of your body will always be a lower temperature than the core of your body. My hands are usually much cooler than my neck and chest, due to poor blood circulation. But, the catch is, when you spray your neck or chest, olfactory fatigue sets in and after 3 or 4 hours of your nose constantly smelling something, you wont be able to detect it, while others can still very easily detect it on you. So the only way to know for sure is to spray your chest or neck and see if others can smell the fragrance on you after an amount of time you deem acceptable for a fragrance to last on your skin. Otherwise, application to clothing or hair is suitable.
    Your point about body temperature justifies the use of my hand as an appropriate application site. Higher temperatures (around the neck and chest) will result in greater and more rapid evaporation of the aromachemicals from the surface of my skin. If I'm trying to test the smell, and limit olfactory fatigue, the back of the hand (specifically the wrist) is the best place to apply fragrance because it reduces the rate evaporation and the potential for olfactory fatigue. So to your point, Burberry London should have lasted longer on my wrist than on my neck - not the other way around - if we're speaking merely on terms of temperature and fatigue. However, I do think it is important to experience a fragrance as you'd typically apply it.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those people who get very good sillage and longevity from London.
    Not really similar but maybe worth checking out is Michael by Michael Kors, boozy plummy tobacco frag.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just surprised Bond No.9 hasn't come up with their version of Burberry London yet. Too busy head-shopping niche-only offerings, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

You could try Cigar or Cuba Red. Mustang might be close too.
    Last edited by dwrestle; 11th January 2013 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that strange as it might sound, M Puredistance is like a "concentrate" of the purest essences of Burberry London. M is much stronger, bolder and less watered down with cedar and lavender etc. Also Don Corleone is kind of a bolder version too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the smell of London but it just doesnt last on my skin, so now i'm trying to sell my full 100ml bottle

Same as martinijo here.

Michael Kors Michael for Men (original formulation, with 'Michael' on front) has some similar vibe with London, even it's not very close. Sweet tobacco and patchouli beast. Great lasting and silage.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    A girl who smelled Burberry London on me once thought I was wearing that, but it was actually Pure Malt. I think it was the boozy note that made her think it was London.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock