Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Great Aromatic, Fresh Scents for the Spring & Summer that are not Aquatics

Hello fellow Basenoters -

I wanted to start this thread as we (in the Northern Hemisphere have Spring upon us and Summer coming soon). While clouds and rain may still be intermittent, it is May 1st and I feel an apropos time to start this thread. I want to hear from everyone about great scents that keep us men fresh in the warm weather - anything BUT Aquatics, please.

I don't dislike Aquatics at all, but would like to keep the olfactory realm into citruses, fougeres, chypres, vetivers, florals and various other aromatic categories.

I will chime in later with some recent bottles that have impressed me - some tremendously and others that offer a great line of products absolutely perfect for layering scent and at a great price point!

Looking forward to hearing from you. A great time of year - a time of transition. Please take the time to also categorize scents you like for casual, office, formal as well as inside & outside (and day & night). Giving a sense of when and where fragrances should be used is so helpful to us all.

Enjoy the thread...cheers!

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Default Re: Great Aromatic, Fresh Scents for the Spring & Summer that are not Aquatics

Voyage d'Hermes
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Loewe para Hombre

Default Re: Great Aromatic, Fresh Scents for the Spring & Summer that are not Aquatics

Gianfranco Ferre's Bergamotto Marino, Rochas' Eau de Rochas Homme, and Pierre Balmain's Monsieur Balmain.

Azarro Aqua Verde

Rive Gauche and Terre d'hermes

Sur la Plage

Aramis New West for Him
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This spring, I've been drawn to green florals and green chypres. A happy discovery was ($$$) Tiare by Ormonde Jayne, a citrusy green chypre, close in spirit to Cristalle, but more citric, less haughty, and more relaxed. I've also been enjoying Futur, greener but also more soapy - so this would appeal to those who like clean things, but without drowning into sudsy bathtubs. And my favorite remains Paco Rabanne Metal (a green floral, though not really a chypre), with its weird floral note.

In cheap territory, I'd say Lush Dirty (see other thread).

cacio

Lanvin L'homme Sport

A nice summer-weight patchouli.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Many many many vetivers (Givenchy, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Exhale, Breath of God, Mona Di Orio's...too many to mention)...plus

Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Casamorati Fiero
    Insensè
    Helmut Lang EDC
    Nobile 1942 Estroverso
    Nobile 1942 Ponte Vecchio
    Jardins De Kerylos
    Calamus
    Givenchy III
    Bel Respiro
    Comme Des Garcons 3
    L'Humaniste
    Acqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    L'Anarchiste
    Eau De Guerlain

....others....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dior - Granville - Citric opening + Pine and Sandalwood.

+1 Lush Dirty - fantastic fragrance not to be overlooked
    I'll also add Memory Of Kindness which is a wonderful bright citrus top, boatloads of fragrant tomato leaves and green soil, it's wet, earthy and refreshing

Cartier Pasha.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Cacio -

Interesting notes and scents (I want to reply to a lot of people buy your reply caught my eye)! I will look into the green scents you mentioned.

Paco Rabanne Eau de Metal Pour Homme - I tried this recently from a sample (4ml) I got from a great fellow Basenoter who I consider a friend.

I believe, that Eau de Metal is a male (or possibly unisex) version of Paco Rabanne Metal - which is traditionally a woman's scent. However, it too, may be unisex. I have never smelled Metal for Women EDT.

Here is the scent pyramid for Metal - Eau de Metal (from my sample) had a lot of the top notes and base was not quite as rich - but true to form. Brilliant and unique scent! The hyacinth plays very well with the orange blossom in the top!

Metal is a full power fragrance that is composed of greens and woodsy aromas combined with rose and a low note of metal. Bergamot, hyacinth, orange blossom, galbanum and aldehydes are in the top notes. Hyacinth, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, ylang ylang, and plum are in the heart and the base is made up of notes of iris, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, amber and musk.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    This spring, I've been drawn to green florals and green chypres. A happy discovery was ($$$) Tiare by Ormonde Jayne, a citrusy green chypre, close in spirit to Cristalle, but more citric, less haughty, and more relaxed. I've also been enjoying Futur, greener but also more soapy - so this would appeal to those who like clean things, but without drowning into sudsy bathtubs. And my favorite remains Paco Rabanne Metal (a green floral, though not really a chypre), with its weird floral note.

In cheap territory, I'd say Lush Dirty (see other thread).

cacio
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for your contribution, forfreddie -

I have to add (in respect to Memory of Kindness) - try a fantastic Italian fragrance, Trussardi L'Uomo. The composition has amazing tomato leaf, florals, citrus, wood and a nice tobacco accord. It has balance but also very good projection and longevity. A great spring/summer evening scent on a patio having dinner in the warm, balmy evening outdoors. It smells so natural. Best from the house and relatively very inexpensive, especially for the quality!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    +1 Lush Dirty - fantastic fragrance not to be overlooked
    I'll also add Memory Of Kindness which is a wonderful bright citrus top, boatloads of fragrant tomato leaves and green soil, it's wet, earthy and refreshing

Basenotes Plus

Alfarom -

Great reply...wow! Fully concur on the list of vetivers (quickly becoming a favorite of mine in warmer weather - nice selection!)

Insense - fantastic choice and I just received a Vintage bottle for the Spring/Summer!

L'Anarchiste by Caron - had to pull this one out as I love it as well (unique and brilliant).

You just gave us a full wardrobe - much appreciated!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Many many many vetivers (Givenchy, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Exhale, Breath of God, Mona Di Orio's...too many to mention)...plus

Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Casamorati Fiero
    Insensè
    Helmut Lang EDC
    Nobile 1942 Estroverso
    Jardins De Kerylos
    Calamus
    Givenchy III
    Bel Respiro
    Comme Des Garcons 3
    L'Humaniste
    L'Anarchiste
    Eau De Guerlain

....others....

Terre d'hermes
    Creed original vetiver
    Dior eau sauvage

For Summer I like:

Prelude to Love By Kilian - Orange, orange blossom, iris and spices
    Bamboo Harmony By Kilian - Citrus (best ever, IMO) and tea
    Eau d'Orange Verte -Orange and oakmoss
    Terre d'Hermes - But the iso-e super has been annoying me lately...
    Aventus - I dilute it down to 50%, the stuff I have is way too strong. I like it much better diluted.

Dependent

duplicate
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 2nd May 2012 at 12:38 AM.

Dependent

I live in LA where the climate is equivalent to temperate Spring and Summer all year round, though a bit drier, so much of my wardrobe fits the category.

Esencia Loewe
    Lomani pH
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas
    Baryshnikov Sport
    Boss Sport

Aveda Man Pure-Formance
    Creed Chèvrefeuille Original
    L'Occitane Eau des 4 Voleurs
    Gucci Envy for Men
    Bombay Sapphire Infusion
    Monsieur Leonard
    Lancome Programme Homme
    Lancome Trophee
    Atelier Trefle Pur

Vintage Tsar.

First of all, great thread Ericrico!

It’s good to refresh (lol) now and then the fresh scents threads to get new insights in what people like and wear during the six months of spring and summer imo!

I will answer only regarding to what I own, owned or know pretty well!

Spring:

- Cerruti 1881: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Caron Puh: (casual, day, in/outside)
    - Dolce Gabbana pour homme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Versace l’Homme: (casual, outside)
    - Ysl L’homme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - De La Renta: Oscar for men: (casual, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Paco Rabanne ph: (casual, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Jil Sander for man: (1998) (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Chevignon Brand Classic: (casual, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Givenchy Insense: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Givenchy Vetyver: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Guerlain Vetiver Extreme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)

Summer:

- Aqua Quorum: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Azzaro Chrome: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Cool Water: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Polo Sport: (casual, outside, day)

(according to fragrantica Cool Water is an aquatic, though to me it is not!)

Experimental summer:

- Kouros: two little sprays max! will work!
    - Quorum: idem ditto

Spring and summer:

- Guerlain Vetiver: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Paco Rabanne XS: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Hermes; Terre d’Hermes: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Miyake L’Eau D’Issey: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Eau de Rochas Pour Homme: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Revillon R: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)

If I had to choose one I’d choose for spring: Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (vintage)
    For summer: Guerlain Vetiver (ribbed, frosted bottle) and for both Terre d’Hermes.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 2nd May 2012 at 02:25 AM.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Plus

Excellent reply, Slayerized - very comprehensive and detailed!! Your response is truly excellent...we all appreciate it!

I cannot disagree that your choices are perfectably suitable for where you live in The Netherlands. Fantastic breakdown of casual/office/formal, day & night and inside or outside for all scents, as well as the discrepancy between Spring & Summer and both. There are many on your list that are on mine as well - :-) !

I think your choices are very tasteful and pinpoint for your taste (which can help a lot of people) - thank you, again!

Cheers!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    First of all, great thread Ericrico!

It’s good to refresh (lol) now and then the fresh scents threads to get new insights in what people like and wear during the six months of spring and summer imo!

I will answer only regarding to what I own, owned or know pretty well!

Spring:

- Cerruti 1881: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Caron Puh: (casual, day, in/outside)
    - Dolce Gabbana pour homme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Versace l’Homme: (casual, outside)
    - Ysl L’homme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - De La Renta: Oscar for men: (casual, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Paco Rabanne ph: (casual, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Jil Sander for man: (1998) (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Givenchy Insense: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Givenchy Vetyver: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Guerlain Vetiver Extreme: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)

Summer:

- Aqua Quorum: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Azzaro Chrome: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Cool Water: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Polo Sport: (casual, outside, day)

(according to fragrantica Cool Water is an aquatic, though to me it is not!)

Experimental summer:

- Kouros: two little sprays max! will work!
    - Quorum: idem ditto

Spring and summer:

- Guerlain Vetiver: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Paco Rabanne XS: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Hermes; Terre d’Hermes: (formal, casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Miyake L’Eau D’Issey: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)
    - Eau de Rochas Pour Homme: (casual, office, day, inside and outside)
    - Revillon R: (casual, office, day, night, inside and outside)

If I had to choose one I’d choose for spring: Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (vintage)
    For summer: Guerlain Vetiver (ribbed, frosted bottle) and for both Terre d’Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

A nice trio!

Thank you rollzst! Of the 3, my current preference is Vintage Eau Sauvage Cologne with current formulation splash after shave for layering and refreshing!

Not that the other two are bad at all...

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
    Terre d'hermes
    Creed original vetiver
    Dior eau sauvage

Basenotes Plus

Hello petruccijc -

Thank you. A throw-back scent as I had the blue bottle w/the yellowish cap back in the day. I went through it in a couple of summers (and springs). A great fragrance that had taste and depth.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Aramis New West for Him

Re: Eau de Metal, I recently smelled it on paper from a vial - so I'm not sure how it would develop on skin. But the form is similar to Metal edp, just lighter and sedate. Metal is more assertive in all dimensions, from the green floral opening to the drydown. Especially the drydown. The notes don't really describe it. It's a weird, cold, oily feel, mineral rather than metallic. Perfectly masculine - but, given the structure, a little of a love/hate thing.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, cacio -

Not to focus too much on one scent, but this is a rare and interesting bottle (even from a conceptual perspective). Yes, the EDP is more potent. Here is an interesting blog on both Paco Metal (1979) and Eau de Metal (which came out in 1986 - and is considered a male fragrance).

http://pinkmanhattan.blogspot.com/20...nd-thanks.html

This is interesting. I think in the end - it is unisex if you feel you can wear it as a man. I just put on the Eau de Metal 4ml mini sample (a couple of dabs at my elbow). The opening is bright, floral, slightly-aldehydic with a noticeable note of hyacinth, bergamot and orange blossom filling the air. This is definitely assertive as I am in a full-wearing right now of Narciso Rodriguez for Him and it jumps off my arm about 8-12 inches with a nice cool, metallic edge.

I think this would smell very good on me, but perhaps even better on my wife. Hard to say. But, definitely a quality scent that could be worn by either in hot weather. It would be interesting to wear it together and find out... ;-) !

This is taking nice form in the heart now - a lot more lily of the valley and a touch of rose. The exotic ylang-ylang stands out (I know that note well and it is traditionally in female fragrance), along with a nice blooming jasmine. Ripe plum and iris show up and assert themselves at the end of the heart going into the base - very key. Like you said - a sensation that is hard to describe...oily and cooling (I feel a touch metallic, but not smelling anything like metal or steel. This has a unique texture and array of scents. The amber is coming in with a nice touch of light wood now. What is keeping this still so fresh is that the top hyacinth stays through the heart as does the orange blossom! Impressive.

My skin is getting a bit oily - like an essential oil has been rubbed there. It wants to smell like a very fine French milled soap - but it has so much assertive notes and the base notes keep it from getting there.

Most definitely a gorgeous and bright floral opening that transcends over the wear - key notes in the heart that bring this together are the plum and iris. I am getting a nice clean musk (lifted and fresh) along with a light vetiver (also clean) and the amber is key. No moss for me - that could be a note taken out of Eau de Metal, which would make sense. This is way more airy, floral and warming with the amber and musk - not nearly as green scent. The aldehydes are turned down even on the top. The hyacinth and orange blossom are totally stand-out notes.

So, based upon what I read of Metal EDP (from the scent pyramid) and your very good description - this wearing makes A LOT more sense. Thank you.

I found a scent for summer that I look forward to wearing - and I can share with my wife. This definitely stays unisex, especially on my wife nice olive skin!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Re: Eau de Metal, I recently smelled it on paper from a vial - so I'm not sure how it would develop on skin. But the form is similar to Metal edp, just lighter and sedate. Metal is more assertive in all dimensions, from the green floral opening to the drydown. Especially the drydown. The notes don't really describe it. It's a weird, cold, oily feel, mineral rather than metallic. Perfectly masculine - but, given the structure, a little of a love/hate thing.

cacio

I've been a broken record about this lately, but I think PdN's Vie de Chateau is a beautiful spring/summer scent. Moss, damp earth, hay, citrus top. I'm not sure about criteria for day or night, but I like this at any time.

Also strongly second Memory of Kindness and Granville.

Banned

a few follow:

Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons
    - a somewhat cold and metallic scent, which augurs an astringent and detached, futuristic vibe, reminiscent of isolated indifference.
    Initially one is treated to an icy verdancy from violet leaf, akin to grass clippings with a nuance of greenness from cucumber. A cool, mineral accord, akin to iron shavings and weathered peebles, swirls about. And, magical aldehydes impart their soapiness and effervescence. Transitioning to the heart, an antiseptic clove infuses the fresh opening with its smoky spiciness and a faint, charred wood nuance. After a bit, a floral melange of sweetly spicy, vanillic carnation, sweet velvety rose, tutti-fruitti jasmine and powdery, cherry-vanilla heliotrope encase the scent, and segues to the awaiting base. Guiacwood, with its honeyed-rose sweetness as well as smoky and rubber nuances, commingles with black cumin with its pungent spiciness and hint of strawberry. An earthy vetiver, with its grassy and clumped dirt vibe, presents. And, a clean aldehyde sweeps in with its freshly-laundered linen aspect. A somewhat enigmatic drydown ensues. This unique and unisex composition has average projection and longevity, 6-7 hours.

&

Vetiver Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen by Guerlain - Albeit this flanker of the original Vetiver by Guerlain keeps the vetiver essence as its focus, it is decidedly cooler than the original with the warmer aspects of the original excised and replaced with "cooling agents", so to speak.
    One is initially treated to a minty, citric accord. A pronounced lime combines with orange and bergamot, resulting in a heightened tangy and bittersweet marriage, which is nicely tempered by a herbal mint. A faintly nutty vetiver serves as an undercurrent to this somewhat bracing and green concoction, and flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, the citrus fades, allowing the mint to commingle with a woody and lively pepper as well as a smattering of cinnamon-like nutmeg. A sweetly floral and orangey neroli, with an ephemeral, metallic something, bathes the herbal brew. A muted earthiness and greenness from the vetiver serves as a backdrop. Transitioning to the base, the vetiver comes into its own, highlighting its steamed rice and grassy aura. Tonka bean, with its sweetly vanillic and slightly almondy facets, interplays with the green vetiver. A refreshing drydown ensues. This somewhat refined and fresh scent has good projection and longevity. A masculine, all-season composition, it will, indeed, shine in the warmer weather. This fragrance has a particularly attractive price point for its caliber.

&

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

&

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post

Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Casamorati Fiero
    Insensè
    Helmut Lang EDC
    Nobile 1942 Estroverso
    Jardins De Kerylos
    Calamus
    Givenchy III
    Bel Respiro
    Comme Des Garcons 3
    L'Humaniste
    L'Anarchiste
    Eau De Guerlain

....others....
    Yes to the above.

Also: Cravache - Terre de Bois - Blenheim Bouquet

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Excellent reviews, dollars&scents!

Great note and composition break-down for all the scents. The one I favor of what you listed (and actually find it remarkable) is Guerlain's Vetiver Eau Glacee/Frozen. It actually does well year-round for me. I actually enjoyed it on cold nights in Northern CA (it was penetrating and left a bit of frostbite on my nose - just kidding), but looked forward to it in the warmer weather ahead!

Thank you for your contribution - you seem to capture both olfactory perspective and feel...impressive!

Cheers!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    a few follow:

Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons
    - a somewhat cold and metallic scent, which augurs an astringent and detached, futuristic vibe, reminiscent of isolated indifference.
    Initially one is treated to an icy verdancy from violet leaf, akin to grass clippings with a nuance of greenness from cucumber. A cool, mineral accord, akin to iron shavings and weathered peebles, swirls about. And, magical aldehydes impart their soapiness and effervescence. Transitioning to the heart, an antiseptic clove infuses the fresh opening with its smoky spiciness and a faint, charred wood nuance. After a bit, a floral melange of sweetly spicy, vanillic carnation, sweet velvety rose, tutti-fruitti jasmine and powdery, cherry-vanilla heliotrope encase the scent, and segues to the awaiting base. Guiacwood, with its honeyed-rose sweetness as well as smoky and rubber nuances, commingles with black cumin with its pungent spiciness and hint of strawberry. An earthy vetiver, with its grassy and clumped dirt vibe, presents. And, a clean aldehyde sweeps in with its freshly-laundered linen aspect. A somewhat enigmatic drydown ensues. This unique and unisex composition has average projection and longevity, 6-7 hours.

&

Vetiver Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen by Guerlain - Albeit this flanker of the original Vetiver by Guerlain keeps the vetiver essence as its focus, it is decidedly cooler than the original with the warmer aspects of the original excised and replaced with "cooling agents", so to speak.
    One is initially treated to a minty, citric accord. A pronounced lime combines with orange and bergamot, resulting in a heightened tangy and bittersweet marriage, which is nicely tempered by a herbal mint. A faintly nutty vetiver serves as an undercurrent to this somewhat bracing and green concoction, and flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, the citrus fades, allowing the mint to commingle with a woody and lively pepper as well as a smattering of cinnamon-like nutmeg. A sweetly floral and orangey neroli, with an ephemeral, metallic something, bathes the herbal brew. A muted earthiness and greenness from the vetiver serves as a backdrop. Transitioning to the base, the vetiver comes into its own, highlighting its steamed rice and grassy aura. Tonka bean, with its sweetly vanillic and slightly almondy facets, interplays with the green vetiver. A refreshing drydown ensues. This somewhat refined and fresh scent has good projection and longevity. A masculine, all-season composition, it will, indeed, shine in the warmer weather. This fragrance has a particularly attractive price point for its caliber.

&

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

&

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.
    Last edited by ericrico; 14th May 2012 at 03:05 AM.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Piper Nigrum by Villoresi

+1 Aramis New West

A Taste of Heaven (great for the spring...wearing it today, couldn't be happier)

I do love Mochino Uomo, beautiful scent for Spring.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Dior - Granville - Citric opening + Pine and Sandalwood.
    It's great, huh? Well into my second bottle, just waiting for the 250ml to come into Dior here. I remember reading pre-release that this would brighten things up for people who felt the current IFRA compliant Eau Sauvage was a washout and I think that's a fair comment. There's a bit more to it with the garrigue influence - nice of Demachy to come up with something as classy and totally non-gimmicky as this.

When it gets warm, I find myself reaching for YSL Live Jazz quite a bit.

Also enjoy layering Montales Black Aoud (1 spray) with Fougres Marines (1-2 sprays.....can really use anything similar such as Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water). Works really well without being cloying the way Black Aoud gets for me in heat.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Profumum - Victrix
    Bond No.9 - Riverside Drive
    Czech & Speake - Citrus Paradisi
    Ferderic Malle - French Lover
    Cerruti - Nino Cerruti (1979)
    Xerjoff - Uden
    Creed - Spice & Wood
    MPG - Garrigue
    Aramis - New West
    Boss - Sport
    YSL - Kouros
    Gucci - Nobile
    Creed - GIT
    CdG - Hinoki
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 5th May 2012 at 09:28 PM.

I was just thinking to myself, "what are some great aromatic, fresh scents for the spring?" and lo and behold I came across this thread! Exactly what I was looking for!

I've been meaning to purchase a full bottle of Guerlain Vetiver for a while (I just finished up a small sample bottle), but this discussion of Vetiver Eau Glacée has me intrigued. A minty vetiver sounds quite invigorating. I wonder which full bottle I should start with now . . . it seems like it's impossible to get a sample of the Eau Glacée at this point.

I've also had Stephen Jones on my "to sample" list for awhile. I find metallic notes fascinating.

Another I would add to the list is Absinthe by Nasomatto. I find this to be exhilaratingly fresh, bright, and very herbal. In addition to the obvious absinthe/wormwood/anise note I get a vivid accord of freshly snapped juniper fir twigs. It does have a slight (to me) sweet candy-like undertone that is somewhat characteristic of the line. I think this is perfect for daytime, casual wear. Actually, a recent wearing of this scent is what got me thinking about this topic in the first place. My only complaint is that (somewhat surprisingly given the house), it seems to fade quickly on my skin (or maybe I just become anosmic to it). I assume re-application would help.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jondedo; 19th April 2014 at 10:07 PM.