Code of Conduct

Default Anything similar to discontinued Wall Street by Victor?

The smell of "Wall Street" by Victor (not the Bond No. 9 version) is inextricably linked to memories of my grandfather, as he wore this a lot in the 80s and 90s. I recently purchased a bottle on e-bay and it brings back so many fond memories and emotions, but obviously my bottle won't last forever and it has long been discontinued. Therefore, I'm very interested in finding something with similar notes/composition.

Currently I believe there are 5 reviews of this fragrance on BN. It is described there as a "musty fougere" and I would have to agree. I'm certainly no expert on identifying notes, but the ones mentioned in these reviews - "high-pitched" cedar, tobacco, leather, citrus - all seem correct, but I'm sure there's more in there. One reviewer suggests a similarity to Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme. I suppose I do see a slight resemblance, but only well into the development of the Bulgari (certainly not in its opening) and only when sniffed from afar. Finding a good substitue of this scent, something that triggers a similar nostalgia, is probably my primary "scent quest" at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried a few leather and tobacco fragrances - Clive Christian C, Mona di Orio Cuir, Tuscan Leather - and wood-heavy scents - Gucci Pour Homme 1, Wonderwood, Artek Standard, Italian Cypress, Bois d'Ascese, Hinoki - and while I find I truly enjoy these genres, only the dry-down of Hinoki begins to approximate the smooth, warm, and clean woody vibe I get from Wall Street's drydown. I think what I'm missing (compared to Wall Street) in almost all the scents I've tried is the rather unique (to me at least) briney aspect of the cedar in Wall Street's opening and something smooth and warm (but not spicy!) in the dry-down that I have trouble identifying. Any analysis or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Anything similar to discontinued Wall Street by Victor?

Maybe try Noble Cedar by Chopard or Cedre by L'Occitane to see if there is any approximation.

Calbone de Balmain is the first one that comes to mind.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If it's of any help, I just noticed in another BN thread about "Wall Street" by Victor TwoRoads located the notes pyramid on scentdirect.com:

Top notes: Artemesia, Basil oil, Bergamot oil, Green Note, Juniperberry, Lemon,
    Middle notes: Carnation, Cedarwood oil, Cinnamon, Jasmin, Patchouli, Pine Needle, Rose,
    Base notes: Amber, Fir, Leather, Moss, Musk, Oilbanum

Hello Jondedo ....

What you seek to satisfy your craving for more of that accord is even more rare !! ...
    Its called Revillon Pour Homme , its similiar but not as musty & it has a stronger pine note & is brighter/zestier up top .

Wall Street by Victor was a blind buy for me many years ago & i enjoy it immensely when i reach for it .
    I can say its very musty , earthy & and a difficult one to describe ... but side by side they are not twins , but alike .

Ok , about some other suggestions ...
    I haven't tried Noble Cedar or Cedre , so no comment ... hednic have you tried Wall Street by Victor ?

Carbone is not even close ... sorry
    i have it & its one of the really good designer releases of recent years .
    cheers

** paging EricRico ***

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Hi Dimitrios and thanks for the info!

This may be sort of a naive question, but here goes anyway. It looks like scentdirect.com makes suggestions of potentially similar fragrances based on classification and note composition. The 10 for Wall Street range from 45-35% match (so not great) and are as follows:

Safari for Men
    Drakkar Noir (I've owned this in the past and do not recall any noticeable similarity)
    Pasha
    Insignia
    Jaguar for Men
    Tsar
    Jazz Prestige
    Cellini for men
    Lauder for men
    1881 (Cerruti)

As I indicated, of these I've only owned or smelled Drakkar Noir (and don't recall any similarities with Wall Street). Might any of the others actually bare a resemblance to Wall Street? I realize many of these are also discontinued, but some (Pasha, Tsar, Lauder, and 1881) still seem to be available. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, two others that pop up when I search some of the key notes in the BN directory are Trussardi Uomo and Punjab. Again, I've never smelled these so any opinions are welcome.
    Last edited by jondedo; 15th January 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Hello again Jondedo

Its my pleasure to talk & share information about long lost forgotten gems .

Ok , from that list above
    Pasha , own it & not close .
    Jaguar , own it & not close
    Tsar , owned it & not close
    Lauder for Men , own it & not close
    1881 , own it & not close
    Drakkar Noir , owned it & not close
    Safari , have decant , not close
    Trussardi Uomo , own it not close
    Punjab , sampled it not similiar

So .... once again i say get some Wall Street as it still shows up occasionally
    or track down some Revillon Pour Homme !! you will not be dissapointed .
    cheers

SALES

I did a quick sampling and thought it was similar to Quorum (I think the second version), but I didn't like the opening so I probably didn't pay that much attention to it. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I'm wearing this one now. It begins with the typical aromatics of that era. The drydown is much more subtle, with clear wood and a leathery/mossy quality. Florals are definitely present and it is softened a bit with amber. This base may be most similar to Francesco Smalto Pour Homme, but that one has a strong fougere accord that lasts a while. Anyway, WS is cheap enough to buy it, if you don't think any of the others will do. Montana Parfum d'Homme also has a similar base, but again with a strong fougere accord to get things going (and it's spicier).

UPDATE: I'm picking up some spice now but it's nicely blended into the whole.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th January 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Hello Jondedo and my friend, Dimitrios,

Yes - there is a bit of irony here. The actual scent you seek, Wall Street by Victor is available on Ebay. I am not a seller, but here is the link to all the bottles out there - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Trying to find something similar is a moot point - when you are able to get the exact scent for cheap. You will find it in 25ml splash bottles very commonly (I bought a pair for a very low price) - so 50ml EdT equivalent after getting a 100ml After Shave, which is excellent as well. Great scent with nice cedar, green notes, pine and a smoky base of warm leather.

However, my friend Dimitrios is correct. An incredible composition that is Vintage, long-discontinued and rare is Revillon Pour Homme (1977). It is a Woody Chypre of exquisite quality - quite honestly, it smells like a niche-quality pine scent, better yet a whole forest! There is amazing depth as well, but the key notes here center around coniferous aromas - pine needles, rich and fresh-cut cedarwood, a wonderful fir and a wonderful damp moss...creating a forest-floor effect (but never musty - the pine needles and florals keep it from getting at all "dank"). It is those other notes in the top, including a nice artemisia (and petitgrain in the top), a fresh-cut bunch of rosemary, a light carnation, earthy geranium and crisp lavender that blends with a nice fresh-ground cinnamon note. The coumarin (tonka) in the base warms the scent, beautifully...a point of classicism and with the moss - the longevity is very good. How good is this scent? Fantastic.

However, it is extremely rare and nearly impossible to find! I was lucky and bought a perfect, new large 8oz (240ml) flacon of the brilliant juice from an estate sale. But, there may be no other bottles out there in existence.

One nice aromatic cedar scent that I recommend to all because it is readily available, well-done and inexpensive is Puig's Quorum Silver. Not as spectacular as Revillon Pour Homme or quite the level of depth of Wall Street, but a very wearable scent and worth buying. 100ml is under $15 in the US. Great value and the cedarwood is the dominant note with a nice airy and lifted composition underneath.

All the best - I hope this helps...cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hello Jondedo ....

What you seek to satisfy your craving for more of that accord is even more rare !! ...
    Its called Revillon Pour Homme , its similiar but not as musty & it has a stronger pine note & is brighter/zestier up top .

Wall Street by Victor was a blind buy for me many years ago & i enjoy it immensely when i reach for it .
    I can say its very musty , earthy & and a difficult one to describe ... but side by side they are not twins , but alike .

Ok , about some other suggestions ...
    I haven't tried Noble Cedar or Cedre , so no comment ... hednic have you tried Wall Street by Victor ?

Carbone is not even close ... sorry
    i have it & its one of the really good designer releases of recent years .
    cheers

** paging EricRico ***
    Last edited by ericrico; 22nd April 2014 at 03:51 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Thanks for all the info! I do plan on getting a back-up stash of WS on e-bay. While it's true that I'm looking to preserve a certain nostalgia (and having an ample stock of WS should accomplish that), I also greatly enjoy the scent in-and-of itself and am definitely interested in discovering "variations on the theme." Therefore your suggestions are very much appreciated, even if challenging to find. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly distinguishes the Wall Street dry-down from more modern fragrances containing similar notes. There's just something warm and rich about it that conveys a relaxed confidence and contentment to me (maybe that's the nostalgia talking).

Anyway, I think you've convinced me to try a decant of Revillon Pour Homme from theperfumedcourt. The very eloquent descriptions above lead me to believe it's something I'll really like. Maybe I should start a new thread on that, but I have a few questions about the Revillon. When you say "a niche-quality pine scent" does this pine accord bear any resemblance to Fille en Aiguilles from Serge Lutens (which I love btw!)? Based on the era I would guess it would be more of a dry or astringent pine, but I really don't know. Also, I'm curious how the Revillon Pour Homme compares to Gucci Pour Homme (vintage 1976). It seems that style, notes, and era are fairly similar for these two. I was lucky to get a pretty good deal on GPH and enjoy it quite a bit, although I'll admit I didn't fully appreciate it the first few times I wore it.

Anyway, thank you all for the very enjoyable and enlightening discussion!
    Last edited by jondedo; 18th January 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Jondedo ....
    Firstly no need to start a new thread on Revillon PH one or two already exists ...
    Ok , about your Gucci 1976 question , once again , not close , their similiarities are quality ingredients & superb blending .
    EricRico has reviews on both & other comments on them as well .
    I cant assist you on comparing RPH pine accord with Fille en Aiguilles , but im guessing they are not alike .

SALES

Quote Originally Posted by jondedo View Post
    . I'm still trying to figure out what exactly distinguishes the Wall Street dry-down from more modern fragrances containing similar notes. There's just something warm and rich about it that conveys a relaxed confidence and contentment to me (maybe that's the nostalgia talking).
    I'm just taking a semi-educated guess here, but might that "extra something" I'm detecting in the drydown of Wall Street be real oakmoss?

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting my 5mL decant of Revillon Pour Homme from theperfumedcourt. Thanks for the suggestion!

Basenotes Plus

Yes, Jondedo -

My friend, Dimitrios is totally correct here. No reason to start a new thread. It is so "unknown" that what you see now is all there is. If I wasn't lucky to happen upon that beautiful flacon of Revillon, it is hard to say that even Dimitrios and I would have further knowledge to share. The last bottles are gone - expensive minis (and just one or two) on Ebay. Not worth it.

And, again, Dimitrios is totally correct. Absolutely no correlation or connection between Revillon PH and Gucci Pour Homme Original (1976). Only that they were released a year apart and have exceptional quality of ingredients and a marvelous composition.

I don't know the Lutens scent personally, but it has a heavy incense note (smoky) which Revillon Pour Homme does not. It is a sharp, classic, just slightly resinous pine note that is fresh and invigorating. The way a Woody Chypre should be - a fragrant opening (citrus & herbs), some light florals, but truly focused on the wood (in this case, rich pine and cedar with fir in the base) and a nice touch of moss and coumarin (tonka).

Your decant from theperfumedcourt will fill in all the blanks. I recommend wearing it alone first on your forearm or back of your hand (just enough to get the full smell) and, after a while, then try Wall Street on your other forearm or hand. Do not put them right next to each other and never think about layering them.

Wall Street's base (drydown) is actually wonderful and warm. The oakmoss is key (in both fragrances) - but, to me, I find the leather note in Wall Street to be what gives it more body & depth, along with the amber. I only got a light touch of olibanum (it provides a touch of smokiness, but not heavy at all). Wall Street is actually a bit "heavier" and darker than Revillon Pour Homme...which wears incredibly well, but is medium-bodied and incredibly fragrant (it is vibrant). Wonderful depth too, but not a powerhouse. Neither is Wall Street as it wears relatively close (average projection at most), but the base notes are more emphasized. They share the cedar note more than anything else, and Wall Street does have pine needles in the heart - but not as strong as Revillon Pour Homme.

I hate comparing scents, so I will stop there. My personal love of scent and my passion comes from enjoying each scent unto itself. If you do that, you will find something different in everything and uniqueness and more enjoyment from every bottle.

If I compared every vetiver, for example, to Vintage Guerlain (or Vintage Givenchy Eau de Vetyver) - I would keep feeling like the bottles are "missing" this or has "too much" of that. However, a Zen perspective (that everything is perfectly how it should be) allows me to have a vast collection and range of compositions that are each unique. I enjoy each and every one that I keep...and buy more of those that I will want with me in my journey of life - and all those that are already mentally associated to special moments in my life.

I hope this gives you perspective.

Cheers,

ericrico

Jondedo ....
    Firstly no need to start a new thread on Revillon PH one or two already exists ...
    Ok , about your Gucci 1976 question , once again , not close , their similiarities are quality ingredients & superb blending .
    EricRico has reviews on both & other comments on them as well .
    I cant assist you on comparing RPH pine accord with Fille en Aiguilles , but im guessing they are not alike .
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Thank you for your very thoughtful and articulate post. You describe a beautiful philosophy (not just for fragrances!) and I completely agree. I'm certainly not interested in trying to perfect what others have already made perfect. At this point, well-informed comparisons primarily serve an educational purpose for me - to help me identify individual notes/note combinations and more accurately describe the fragrances I experience. (Sometimes I still feel like an infant wailing out of frustration because he does not have words for the things he likes/wants. I suppose maybe I should smell some essential oils to really get a feel for the nuances of individual ingredients.) Anyway, the commentary on this thread has been extremely informative and is greatly appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I wore my old sample of Quorum tonight (as ericrico suggested in an earlier post). I had forgotten how much I enjoy this! The base is my favorite part - perhaps I detect a bit of a stronger olibanum note in this one - not certain, but I was definitely loving its aura of content and ease during dinner tonight!

I received my Revillon Pour Homme decant today. Suffice it to say I LOVE this! Your descriptions were spot on - like strolling through a vibrant coniferous forest. Very clean and uplifting. While I do see the relation to Wall Street in the theme of "fresh/clean woods," what struck me almost immediately was a very close resemblance to Zagorsk from CdG. Obviously these two aren't identical - the Zagorsk has a "colder" feel, whereas the Revillon is "fresher," but the pine/cedar accord in Zagorsk is, at least to my relatively naive nose, strikingly similar. However, the opening of the Revillon is nothing like Zagorsk. If your Revillon flacon ever starts running low and you long for that particular pine accord, you may want to give Zagorsk a sniff! (btw, Zagorsk also reminds me of the openning of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver . . . I think it's the pimento . . . not sure if anyone else would agree with that though)
    Last edited by jondedo; 30th January 2013 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Maybe try Noble Cedar by Chopard or Cedre by L'Occitane to see if there is any approximation.
    Have you tried Wall Street Hednic ?

I received my Revillon Pour Homme decant today. Suffice it to say I LOVE this! Your descriptions were spot on - like strolling through a vibrant coniferous forest. Very clean and uplifting. While I do see the relation to Wall Street in the theme of "fresh/clean woods," what struck me almost immediately was a very close resemblance to Zagorsk from CdG.
    Jondedo , Glad to see you took our advice & got yourself some .... (( Revillion PH ))
    I much appreaciate your tip on Zagorsk & thanks for thanking us , i must say Ericrico deserves the credit here again for his larger more articulate input ....

SALES

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, Jondedo and Dimitrios -

I appreciate the kind words...and actually know Zagorsk (I have sampled the entire line of CdG Incense scents thanks to a wonderful and kind gift from a fellow Basenoter! I have an affinity with several and do admire Zagorsk. My favorite in the line, so far, has been Kyoto. I just found and managed to get (for a fair price) a 90% full bottle (50ml) from someone who cares about scent. It was meticulously cared for.

Back to Vintage Revillon Pour Homme...while I would like to compare it to another scent (including the connection to Wall Street), I find it uniquely its own scent. To me, the quality is better than niche. Comme des Garcons is a wonderful house, but a lot of synthetic ingredients go into their products (including Iso E Super). I am not 'against' the use of synthetic ingredients - but adore the great quality of Vintage scents due to the organic feel and quality of the natural ingredients. I am not sure that one will ever find modern scents that will replace Vintage bottles. IFRA has disallowed that to happen with their regulation of ingredients.

So, enjoy the moment and get your hands on the scents that defined entire genres (chypres, aromatic fougeres, etc.) in their Vintage formulation...for we only live once and we are the last generation who can get well-cared for bottles that are 30+ years old and still smell outstanding.

I'm very glad you "took a stroll through the vibrant coniferous forest" that this great scent creates for us to enjoy! I simply do not tire of exalting my praise for incredible creations such as Revillon Pour Homme...cheers,

ericrico

Have you tried Wall Street Hednic ?

Jondedo , Glad to see you took our advice & got yourself some .... (( Revillion PH ))
    I much appreaciate your tip on Zagorsk & thanks for thanking us , i must say Ericrico deserves the credit here again for his larger more articulate input ....

I thought you might be interested to see what I just found on e-bay:

It's a little hard to tell if the color is still good from the picture (I haven't received it yet), but it looks promising. Even if it isn't, I got it for a very reasonable price and it will be nice to have an original box. Thanks again for bringing my attention to this beauty!

Basenotes Plus

Fantastic find, jondedo!

That is the first bottle of Revillon Pour Homme EdT I have seen in LONG time that wasn't a mini - it does look beautiful and very promising! I hope you enjoy it.

2oz of possible olfactory beauty awaits you.

Cheers,

ericrico

I thought you might be interested to see what I just found on e-bay:

It's a little hard to tell if the color is still good from the picture (I haven't received it yet), but it looks promising. Even if it isn't, I got it for a very reasonable price and it will be nice to have an original box. Thanks again for bringing my attention to this beauty!

I know this is an old thread, and I've since stocked up on Wall Street and obtained pristine-condition Revillon Pour Homme through a lucky find on e-bay and a very kind collaboration with ericrico, however I've recently had a thought about my original question. I'm somewhat surprised now that no one mentioned Terre d'Hermes as sort of a "modern version of Wall Street." Admittedly, I received a gift set of TdH for Christmas this year and it's actually the aftershave balm that reminds me most of Wall Street - the briney, tangy, bright cedar is definitely there front and center in the balm. As an aside, the actual EDT I received does seem to have considerably lower sillage than older samples I had tried. I'm afraid it may be true that TdH has been watered down in reformulation. It doesn't bother me much though - it's great in combination with the aftershave balm, and I can always re-apply! Best wishes!

Basenotes Plus

Hey Jondedo -

Thank you, my friend! That was a truly wonderful split of a beautiful flacon of Revillon Pour Homme. Terre d'Hermes and its Iso E Super and dried woodiness has a vague similarity.

I recommend, for a cheap (but well-made) cedar scent to everyone - Puig Quorum Silver. Not a 'high-end' or niche vibe, but just fine for casual wear.

I wore Pure Parfum from Terre d'Hermes the other day and that is a lot more 'wet' and juicy than the EdT of TdH. You can find my comparative review of the Pure Parfum and EdT on Fragrantica under the Pure Parfum. Again, I only like to compare scents if they are flankers or different formulations of scents. In this case, layering the two is a really nice thing...

Cheers,

Eric

Hello EricRico & jondedo
    Nice to see an old thread bumped up , especially when its on classic oldies !!
    Since my last input over 14 months ago i have acquired some Homme De Gres .
    A great frag , perhaps linear compared to the great Revillon PH & Wall Street .
    HDG shares facets with both , RPH in the top & heart & beyond the mid notes into their bases with Wall Street.
    If asked which two would be left standing , if all three slugging it out , toe to toe in the ring , HDG would just be tapped out .
    In saying that its still leaps & bounds ahead of many designer releases of the past decade or more .
    cheers
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 14th April 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Hi Eric and Dimitrios. Great to hear from you! Eric, have you ever tried the TdH aftershave balm? It's rather nice. To me, it's a very similar scent to the EDT, just with a different balance, wherein the cedar is more prominent (and perhaps a bit drier as well). It's excellent to layer with the EDT. (I'd assume the same is true with the EDP, but I don't have any of that to try.) It's also quite soothing and refreshing after a shave (as intended)!

An observation about Wall Street: I tried putting some of my Wall Street stock in an atomizer. After comparing, I think I prefer splash application.

Best wishes!