Code of Conduct

Default The problem of clothing when trying out fragrance samples... (!)

Hi All,

I'm totally new to this (having not ever worn perfumes before) & am thrilled to have just ordered a squillion samples of perfumes from The Perfume Court & Aus Liebe Zum Duft...

But a little question. Has anyone else noticed the problem of clothes (specifically, jumper or coat/ jacket sleeves) acquiring a general smell of the perfume samples one is trying out... AND this smell then (possibly, potentially) interfering when one sprays a new perfume on one's wrists a couple of days later?

This is probably fine when you just try out a sample every now & then... but when, like me, you've just ordered OVER 20 of the little blighters, could it not become a problem? A kind of olfactory cacophony (I know "phony" refers to sound there, but you get w'am saying)?

Now, in summer, when one is wearing t-shirts, and washing them every day – no problem. But I really don't wash or dry clean my coats or jumpers often enough (is that a bad admission? I don't know; anyway, it's the fact).

Is there any answer to this? Is it better to simply try out samples on little pieces of card/ paper instead of on one's wrists? Does one have to walk round in t-shirts in the dead of winter, etc.?

Thanks for any thoughts! As you can tell, I'm super-anal... but then again, there doesn't seem to be much point in comparing all these different scents over the next few weeks/ months if they all just end up merging into some kind of whiffy melange...

x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The problem of clothing when trying out fragrance samples... (!)

Welcome to basenotes!
    You can always use the back of your hands to test your samples and then just scrub up after a few samples. Testing on test strips of paper will give you an idea of the frags composition, but not how it reacts to your chemistry which is most important.
    Good luck on your scented journey and comeback soon and let us know how those samples worked out for you!

Cheers!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

Good suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a jacket with a bunch of different scents on it and for a few days after wearing one it can transfer from the jacket BACK to my skin...

Post Thanks / Like

Clothes keep perfume surprisingly well, especially leather or similar materials. That said, I've never had the problem with suits when I spray under another layer (say, spraying the skin under a shirt) - just aerating overnight takes care.

I always spray on paperstrip to smell the details, but as others have said, it is no substitute. The skin is warmer so a frag will go more quickly into the drydown and may highlight notes that are more subdued on paper.

cacio

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try applying on your palms to speed up the development/evaporation process. Anyway I kinda like the subtle layering of different scents so I don't view this that big of a problem.

Hi,

All great replies to my question! Thanks so much! The idea of putting the stuff on the back of my hands makes most sense to me for the moment... (it's true I'm a big hand-washer too... but have some unfragranced alcohol rub I'll start making more use of & just try to avoid the perfumed back-of-hand area with it when there's a masterpiece of perfumery maturing on it... Anyway, will see how this goes/ whether it's possible/ seems at once sufficiently hygienic, sufficiently sleeve-avoiding & perfume-preserving)

Although... actually... wearing more shirts makes sense too. I tend to wear a t-shirt under a jumper at the moment, then the jumper sleeve absorbs the perfume from my wrist, & I don't want to wash the jumper after every wearing. But I should just start wearing more shirts (& washing them after each wearing, as one does). Discovering perfumes will also make me a smarter dresser! Can't be bad.

rather excited about the prospect of trying out these things... i ordered a load of stuff recommended in that rather amazing book "Perfumes: The Guide". I suppose it's a little out of date now but I thought I might as well start with some classics. Really interesting to see people's personal "Top 10" lists on this site though... all kinds of newer stuff that sounds amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

l only ever try my samples when l know l'll be at home for a few hours. l try them on one arm & keep that sleeve rolled up for the duration, so that l can gauge the projection of the fragrance on my skin. l'm a frequent handwasher, so testing on the hand is not an option for me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks teardrop! This is the best/ simplest advice for me I think... especially as I often work from home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You could try applying on your palms to speed up the development/evaporation process. Anyway I kinda like the subtle layering of different scents so I don't view this that big of a problem.
    Imagine Portrait of a Lady mixing with Original Vetiver or 1740. Not so pleasant.

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Imagine Portrait of a Lady mixing with Original Vetiver or 1740. Not so pleasant.
    I can imagine 1740 eating OV for breakfast and munching through Portrait of a Lady at lunchtime. It's a beast! What you choose to sample matters a lot.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I can imagine 1740 eating OV for breakfast and munching through Portrait of a Lady at lunchtime.
    LOL! ...and what a lovely beast!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here