Code of Conduct

Thread: Untitled No. 8

Default Untitled No. 8

Has anybody tried this fragrance from Lucky Scent's commissioned series? It's the one by Brent Leonesio of Smell Bent. Usually his stuff is too gourmand for my taste, but I really like his Commando and an earlier holiday scent called Pere Noel Coward, both of which avoid going foody. No. 8 interests me because it sounds like some crazy over-the-top civet and tobacco madness, which could be really good or totally awful. Has anybody tried it?

Default Re: Untitled No. 8

I just ordered this from Luckyscent and will report back to you when it arrives!
    I'm not your toy.

There's a compelling review at The Perfume Posse which practically calls me to sample it.

Basenotes Institution

This was the only one, in the three, that interested me.

When I used to speak to Brent (when he was a BN regular poster) he used to always talk highly about the skanky, animalic scents he liked and owned.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Reporting in! Just as a disclaimer, I am very bad at describing particular notes and the such, so bare with me please

When this came in the mail, I quickly ripped open the packaging to find that a little of the oil had leaked out into the stopped and got it all over my fingers. I took a whiff...and...wow. The only two other really "dirty" scents I own are MKK and L'ombre Fauve (sp?) by PG. This is definitely a good bit dirtier than those two, but I would relate it more closely to MKK. I think MKK is kind of a smooth dirtyness with the rose thrown in there, where as I find L'ombre more animalic and skanky. If I smell No. 8 right out of the bottle, it smells REALLY fecal to my nose, but not really offputting at all. If you can imagine something to be toeing the line of disgusting and beautiful, that it kind of how it smells. I had a first date late night, and decided to go all out and I layered this No. 8 below my L'ombre Fauve, and let me tell you, I smelled like a sexy barnyard. I have to say though, the drydown of No. 8 is really gorgeous. It is a very sweet (slightly poopy) musk. I think it layers really well with MKK and other dirty scents, but because it doesn't really last all that long, I am not sure if I would wear it by itself.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, and those are my very "noobish" impressions. I have no idea what civet, narcissus, Oud smell like by their lonesome, so I definitely cannot pick out notes. However, I do own a few "Oud" based fragrances and I don't really detect any in this, although it is supposedly there. Anyway, I definitely recommend this if you like your scents dirty
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    Reporting in! Just as a disclaimer, I am very bad at describing particular notes and the such, so bare with me please

When this came in the mail, I quickly ripped open the packaging to find that a little of the oil had leaked out into the stopped and got it all over my fingers. I took a whiff...and...wow. The only two other really "dirty" scents I own are MKK and L'ombre Fauve (sp?) by PG. This is definitely a good bit dirtier than those two, but I would relate it more closely to MKK. I think MKK is kind of a smooth dirtyness with the rose thrown in there, where as I find L'ombre more animalic and skanky. If I smell No. 8 right out of the bottle, it smells REALLY fecal to my nose, but not really offputting at all. If you can imagine something to be toeing the line of disgusting and beautiful, that it kind of how it smells. I had a first date late night, and decided to go all out and I layered this No. 8 below my L'ombre Fauve, and let me tell you, I smelled like a sexy barnyard. I have to say though, the drydown of No. 8 is really gorgeous. It is a very sweet (slightly poopy) musk. I think it layers really well with MKK and other dirty scents, but because it doesn't really last all that long, I am not sure if I would wear it by itself.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, and those are my very "noobish" impressions. I have no idea what civet, narcissus, Oud smell like by their lonesome, so I definitely cannot pick out notes. However, I do own a few "Oud" based fragrances and I don't really detect any in this, although it is supposedly there. Anyway, I definitely recommend this if you like your scents dirty
    OMG, Kinok. You didn't tell us how your date responded! That sounds like a wild and risky combo for a first date!

Ahahaha! Well *I* thought I smelled good He didn't comment on my smell, so I guess that either means it was good, he didn't smell it, or I smelled like a fecal monstrosity and he didn't want to say anything. All I can say is, I wear what I want haha!
    I'm not your toy.

Ahahaha! Well *I* thought I smelled good He didn't comment on my smell, so I guess that either means it was good, he didn't smell it, or I smelled like a fecal monstrosity and he didn't want to say anything. All I can say is, I wear what I want haha!
    You might want to try something quite different if you have a second date with him. It may or may not be a good thing if he thinks that's your natural smell. ;-)

Hahah! It probably was a bad choice, I didn't get a call back :P That's ok. He was kind of boring anyway.
    I'm not your toy.

Hahah! It probably was a bad choice, I didn't get a call back :P That's ok. He was kind of boring anyway.
    haha i dont blame him, im sure you are a fine gent but this stuff is crazy stinky....i love animalic frags like MKK, Rose 31 and Mcqueens Kingdom but this one is off putting..it smells like butt mixed w armpit mixed with wet dog...its raunchy to the extreme, i can really smell the civet in it..where i think kouros does civet in a sexy way, 8 hits way below the belt and does not attempt to even mellow the raunchiness here
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Hahahaha! So true, he probably thinks I just naturally smell like a poopfest. The only thing I can really say is that if he can't deal with how I smell at my worst, he SURE as hell doesn't deserve to smell me at my best
    I'm not your toy.

Hahahaha! So true, he probably thinks I just naturally smell like a poopfest. The only thing I can really say is that if he can't deal with how I smell at my worst, he SURE as hell doesn't deserve to smell me at my best
    That is a valid point haha
    Current Top 5:

I bought this one finally and I freakin love it...it's a beast but I layered it with mkk myself and found the two mellow each other out a bit, they were made for one another....I'm really digging it because it will be a great scent to use as a base for layering...I will try it with kouros next as well as Kiehls... Let y'all know!!
    Current Top 5:

I wore two dabs behind each ear with Hypnotic Poison Elixir and it was amazing, I don't think you can really go wrong with this in layering...
    I'm not your toy.

So today I found a sample vial of this that I must have ordered from Luckyscent a while ago. I was going to Barnes and Noble and dabbed some on, not remembering anything about the scent. Instantly I was hit with a strong fecal dose of civet. Wow this starts out poopy. I also got some of the narcissus and musk. I don't smell any tobacco or oud, maybe a little bit in the drydown. This has a very nice drydown though still animalic. Take out the florals from MKK and you have Untitled No 8. Strangely compelling.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Unhappy Re: Untitled No. 8

I was hoping for a more vulgar, tangy dirty note note in this one, hoping it would be like the sharp, slightly poopy smell of decaying leaves on a wet forest floor. It is a surprisingly minimalist play on civet and sweet musk, almost an incomplete composition which is why I can see that so many people are talking about layering it. The first note is unadorned, true-smelling civet, quite nice. The musk is a smooth, sweet, velvety, verging on powdery musk that replicates the scent of a natural, unripened surgically removed sticky deer musk sample that I had received from a friend once. That musk has none of the pissy, ammoniacal notes of mature musk grains. The civet subsides very quickly. I picked up no oudh whatsoever, no indolic narcissus. Indoles would have helped this composition lift.

These two discernible notes, the civet and musk, interplay nicely as the fragrance settles in, but I was looking for more of a tangy high note, as I said. The fragrance is very nice and more genteel than a lot of people here seem to say, not risky at all, even with the civet and all. The problem for me is that the sweetness combined with the civet makes this come across more like a feminine hygiene product covering up something just vaguely dirty, no sharp compelling sexuality to it. Some labdanum or guaiac or absinthe would have assisted this incomplete composition.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfresno View Post
    I was hoping for a more vulgar, tangy dirty note note in this one, hoping it would be like the sharp, slightly poopy smell of decaying leaves on a wet forest floor. It is a surprisingly minimalist play on civet and sweet musk, almost an incomplete composition which is why I can see that so many people are talking about layering it. The first note is unadorned, true-smelling civet, quite nice. The musk is a smooth, sweet, velvety, verging on powdery musk that replicates the scent of a natural, unripened surgically removed sticky deer musk sample that I had received from a friend once. That musk has none of the pissy, ammoniacal notes of mature musk grains. The civet subsides very quickly. I picked up no oudh whatsoever, no indolic narcissus. Indoles would have helped this composition lift.

These two discernible notes, the civet and musk, interplay nicely as the fragrance settles in, but I was looking for more of a tangy high note, as I said. The fragrance is very nice and more genteel than a lot of people here seem to say, not risky at all, even with the civet and all. The problem for me is that the sweetness combined with the civet makes this come across more like a feminine hygiene product covering up something just vaguely dirty, no sharp compelling sexuality to it. Some labdanum or guaiac or absinthe would have assisted this incomplete composition.
    I had the same impression -- very good analysis and editorial jimmy.

BRAVO! I believe in "letting it all out on the first date" -- maybe not "putting it all out," but definitely not HIDING ones more genuine and authentic qualities. If there's no chemistry between two people who are "playing it cool" or "playing it safe" it's usually because both of them have absolutely no winning qualities, or at least one of them is hiding their winning qualities for whatever reason. THIS IS ME, if you don't like it, can you still pay for dinner? THANKS XOXO