Code of Conduct

Default Replacement for Gucci Pour Homme

Hi

I've been lurking around this forum for a few months and am a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of scents. Until recently I would only wear scents which were gifted by friends and family. However all this changed when I start travelling regularly to the middle east with my job and discovered the wonderful oudhs, particularly in Dubai.

I will write more later but a particular favourite of mine has been GPH (the 2003 Tom Ford creation) which is now very difficult to find. This was the first scent i came across which I truly fell in love with. I have recently bought M7 Oud Absolu which I find to be similar (but lighter) and Kalemat (from Arabian Oud, which again very similar, but heavier), whilst both of these have the same oudhy notes as GPH I was wondering what other forumers are using to replace GPH.

Thanks

Default Re: Replacement for Gucci Pour Homme

Not a twin, but try Tumulte pour homme.

I literally just put a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme in the swap section here on BN. I love the stuff, but I have two bottles and at the rate I wear it, one bottle will last me an eternity.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I would say Eau Sauvage. Not a similar smell but same type of vibe(imo) , but I could be wrong bcuz I have only worn GPH 2x's.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

GHP can still be found, even though it is getting more difficult.

Pesonally I find these to work when in the same mood (not clones or identical, but have a similar vibe IMO):

Dirty English (also discontinued, but can still be found)
    Bond No. 9 I Love New York for Marriage Equality

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Comme de Garcons 2Man.

Although I don't really think anything can be an exact substitute for Gucci Pour Homme, I have found that the closest to the same 'feeling' is probably Carbone de Balmain.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Comme de Garcons 2Man.
    About as close as I can think of

Have you tried Wonderwood? That is about as close as it gets if I remember correctly.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Thanks for all the quick replies. Appreciated!

I will check out 2Man, Wonderwood et al.

However I'd still like to know why Gucci discontinued this after a relatively short period of availability. Was it a licensing issue or just general lack of demand?

For a cheapie, I find Tommy Bahama original (in the brown bottle) to be in the same vein as GPH1.

+1 on Tommy Bahama: nearly identical for under $20.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Are you serious? Tommy Bahama? Thanks for letting me know because I love GPH1 and I have always wanted to find an alternative due to it having been discontinued and the escalating price it fetches on the market.

Carbone de Balmain is very very close.

If your going to look into buying Tommy Bahama then I'd spend a couple of extra bucks and get either He Wood or Rocky Mountain Wood. The later 2 improve on the woody aspect of GPH I, but none of them have the smokiness.

If you buy Tommy Bahama expecting a suitable Gucci PH 1 substitute, you're in for a big disappointment my friend. Dirty English is more in the same vein, but it's not the same. I haven't tried the others mentioned, but they may be a better shot b/c TB and DE just aren't gonna cut it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Another for Tumulte Homme

Etro Ambra is kinda similar. A bit softer, a bit sweeter.

+1 to Wonderwood and Tommy (yellow box), I'll also throw in a mild suggestion for something like Avignon, but Wonderwood's probably better for what you want.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Cdg 2 man
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Try Cristiano Fissore Cashmere for men. I didn't see the resemblance, but check the consumer reviews. Many of them compared it to GPH1. But I do really like Cashmere. Check it out:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=36001

Try DS2 Potion EdP

Comme de Garcons 2Man.
    Agreed.

As mentioned CDGman2 is very close- and the nearest we'll get to it.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man

I haven't smelled Tumulte. Comme des Garçons 2 Man is the closest, though less wearable than the Gucci. Dirty English is woody but less dry and not as nice. Tommy Bahama is like a Gucci pour Homme Light. I like it quite a lot, especially the top notes and the drydown. Though I'll always want to have a bottle of GpH, I'm afraid I'll always be reaching for TB more often.

DIS2 Potion

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    Although I don't really think anything can be an exact substitute for Gucci Pour Homme, I have found that the closest to the same 'feeling' is probably Carbone de Balmain.
    agree , with some extra twists & turns ... black fig & violet

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    If you buy Tommy Bahama expecting a suitable Gucci PH 1 substitute, you're in for a big disappointment my friend. Dirty English is more in the same vein, but it's not the same.
    I couldn't agree more. While I have tried few times Dsquared2 Potion EDP, I agree it has some vibe of GPHI.
    Also, another big vote for Comme de Garcons2Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    agree , with some extra twists & turns ... black fig & violet
    Made me also very curious. Now, it's time for some hunting...
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Comme des Garçons 2 Man is really, really close. I own and wear both, and occasionally do side-by-side comparisons.

I have and am very fond of Carbone de Balmain, but do not find it to be all that similar to GpH—certainly nowhere near as close as CDG2 Man.
    Last edited by itc_spy; 14th January 2013 at 02:59 PM.

Comme de Garcons 2Man.
    this ^^^^

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Just bought Carbone de Balmain, it's a very smoke/incense scent but not similar to GPH imo. the same for Dirty English
    CommedesGarcons 2MAN and DS Potion are much more similar to GPH.

Very cheap, and similar to a GPH "light" version is Black Musk by Monotheme (it could be confused with GPH aftershave)

I still find the CdG 2Man comparison absurd, as they're not close (to me). I think some of you are either referencing scent from memory, or we just smell two entirely different things. I've personally owned/worn both frags for years, and they just don't smell alike whatsoever.

The Gucci frag has a pronounced smoky/woodsy-ness that CdG just doesn't have (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Try DS2 Potion EdP
    This is a dead ringer for GPH1, I have tested these arm and arm and they are extremely close.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    About as close as I can think of
    Very True, also DSquared "Potion" in a darker vein..

Gucci PH is a tricky one to replace, i have Dirty English, Tommy bahama and CDG and none of them hit the spot but the nearest i think would be Tommy bahama as it still has that real dry cedar feel. Im looking to try Carbone next!

I have both the EDP and EDT of Dsquared2 Potion and I don't find much similarity between any of them and Gucci Pour Homme.

Yeah that He Wood Rocky Mountain is close to GPH 1. I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If your going to look into buying Tommy Bahama then I'd spend a couple of extra bucks and get either He Wood or Rocky Mountain Wood. The later 2 improve on the woody aspect of GPH I, but none of them have the smokiness.

2Man or Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo will get you the incense part of GPH but not the pine fire topnotes or the amber drydown. There are lots of great amber frags that would scratch that itch. A pine/incense frag like SL Fille en Aiguilles might be a more satisfying replacement if it's that part of the GPH that you most love.
    Good luck!
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

^This, or Dirty English,

Kerosene R'Oud Elements reminds me of Gucci PH 1 quite a bit.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

When Gucci Pour Homme was discontinued last year, I went on the hunt for similar scents and I've tried many of those listed here. In the end, I got lucky and found more Gph sitting at a Sephora and I snatched it up! The problem with "smells like" posts is that people tend to pick a note and ignore the rest. Anything with a pencil shavings note will supposedly smell JUST LIKE Gph. But it doesn't really work that way.

Tommy Bahama: Not. Even. Close. Tommy Bahama is light enough to wear in the summer. It's an emptied pencil sharpener compared to a Gph 16th century cathedral. As the scent progresses, the differences become even more stark. That being said, Tommy Bahama can be had for under $10 online, so it's not like it'll cost much to try it. I got mine for $7. I never wear it though.

Dirty English: It's no substitute for Gph, but unlike Tommy Bahama, I have respect for this one. It doesn't have the class of Gph and it certainly lacks the Gph drydown, but it isn't trying to be a Gph. It's more of an intentionally rough scent. More brooding, in a good way. I got mine for $20. I never wear it though.

Zirh Ikon: Totally different scent, but it's something a fan of scents like Gph might enjoy. It's spicy and has an incense-ish bigness to it, not to mention quite a handsome bottle. Love that bottle! I got mine for $10. I rarely wear it.

Dsquared: I've only tried Rocky Mountain Wood, but it's nothing like Gph. I haven't had the chance to sample Potion yet, but I'd love to. If one of their scents is going to come close, I have to think Potion is it.

CdG, 2 Man: Quite a different scent but absolutely worth sampling. It's more... uhm... festive? Playful? I don't own this one yet but I'd like to swap one of my bottles of my Gph for 2 Man. It's different enough from Gph that I think it's worth owning both. And since I own more Gph than I'll ever need, I'd like to own both. Variety is the spice of life. That, and cilantro perhaps. MMmmm... love salsa with cilantro!

CdG, Wonderwood: Nothing like Gph at all.

Quote Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post
    I would say Eau Sauvage. Not a similar smell but same type of vibe(imo) , but I could be wrong bcuz I have only worn GPH 2x's.
    Eau Sauvage smells nothing like Gph at all, and yet, I totally see where you're coming from! Eau Sauvage is on my someday purchase list. It has the same sort of classiness as Gph. It's a totally different scent, but yeah, I can see someone who loves Gph also really enjoying Eau Sauvage. It's such good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by dubayyy View Post
    I'd still like to know why Gucci discontinued this after a relatively short period of availability. Was it a licensing issue or just general lack of demand?
    I'm just guessing, but, I think that shortly after the release of GphII, Gucci decided to make a major change toward pop culture and youth. Gucci By Gucci is probably easier to sell than Gph at stores like Macy's and Sephora even though it's nowhere near as compelling. Frankly, I think Gph and GphII missed the mark in terms of strategy. They're both superb scents (!!!!!) but with Guilty, Gucci proved there's more money to be made in the lower end of retail than the high end. In a perfect world, Tom Ford would own the licenses to Gph and GphII, and he'd rerelease them as part of his lineup. In a perfect world.

I am certainly no basher of mass appeal scents. I think it was brilliant for Gucci to create something like Guilty to reinvigorate the brand with younger customers (even though I personally can't stand the stuff). I also think Gph and GphII are more high end than the tastes of the customers Gucci is going after. Just my opinion, of course. And lucky for me, I own a lot of each!
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 15th January 2013 at 08:16 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Comme de Garcons Man 2, Dsquared Potion, Juicy Coutoure Dirty English

Though the woody, pencil shaving notes are not as intense and do fade some in the drydown, I still find Tommy Bahama to have the same vibe as GPH1, and I enjoy it quite a bit. For what it's worth, I hated Dirty English and returned it. If its the dry woody/cedar aspect of GPH1 that you enjoy, then T. Bahama is much closer. (more wood and less incense, which is a plus for me).

This is a bit hard-to-find, but it's a good, light version- I told "light" - of GpH in all of its notes.

Just to clarify, GPH 1 and 2 are discontinued? I just ordered 1ml of each to test out yesterday!

Comme de Garcons 2Man

a niche version of it...and in my opinion a better version also!

Quote Originally Posted by totaldominasian View Post
    Just to clarify, GPH 1 and 2 are discontinued? I just ordered 1ml of each to test out yesterday!
    PH1 is completely discontinued and no longer in production. PH2 is on it's way out but can still be found in stores.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock