Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge or something else?

Trying to debate rather I should get Habit Rouge EDT or something else like Givenchy PI or Allure Homme. I already have le male and a men and love them and I know they're classified as sweet fragrances. What do each of these smell like to you guys and which one do you think is better?

Guerlainista

Default Re: Habit Rouge or something else?

All 3 are very different. No one can say which you will like best - only what they would. You opinion is the one that counts. Your best bet is sample them, or failing that read reviews and try to make an informed blind buy.

Having said that, I think Habit Rouge is far better than the others. Than pretty much anything else, really.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Haven't been able to try it out but tried out pi and allure. I've heard HR smells very powdery. What does it come across to you?

I own them all and like all but would go with Habit Rouge EDT.

Guerlainista

It has a lot of vanilla and benzoin in the dry down I think, which many people read as powdery. It doesn't seem that way to me, at least not in the "smells like baby powder" sense. It is sweet, though - so are AMen, Pi and le Male.

It has a lot more going on that that, though. The opening is very bright, with lots of citrus, and it has some earthy and woody notes in the heart and base. It's very hard to describe because it doesn't come across as a collection of notes. It's a pretty seamless composition that mostly just smells like itself, I think.

Habit Rouge is the better choice.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The vetiver at the base of Habit Rouge gives it an earthy, woodiness that combines with benzoin to give it a different kind of sweetness that is not sugary sweet as PI and Le Male.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Thing of it is I'm 24 going on 25 next month and I've heard HR is really a more mature fragrance. Can somebody my age group pull this off?

Guerlainista

I think so.

Sound Scents

Habit Rouge definitely is my favorite of the three you are considering. It took me a while to warm to it as it is quite unique smelling, but I definitely did. Pi is a relatively sweet oriental, but though I tend to dislike sweet scents I didn't mind it much. Allure Homme is a tough one to love for me and by far my least favorite of the three even though I used to own it. I found it a cloying citrus, jettisoning my bottle tout suite.

The three scents are completely different.
    Last edited by drseid; 15th January 2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Out of these three, I'd choose Habit Rouge. Though I like all of them and all of them are good, still Habit Rouge stands out as a personal favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Middlenotes View Post
    Thing of it is I'm 24 going on 25 next month and I've heard HR is really a more mature fragrance. Can somebody my age group pull this off?
    You really want to sample HR before you buy it. It is not going to be like anything that is at your local department store. Many would call HR "old man."

It depends on what "pull this off" means. To me, that means your peers will agree with it. In that case, not really, unless they are fume-heads that appreciate the classics.

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    All 3 are very different. No one can say which you will like best - only what they would. You opinion is the one that counts. Your best bet is sample them, or failing that read reviews and try to make an informed blind buy.

Having said that, I think Habit Rouge is far better than the others. Than pretty much anything else, really.
    That.

HR is a well made fragrance, there is nothing particularly "mature" about it. If you didn't want to smell brilliant and original, you probably wouldn't be here reading this.

Of the 3, Habit Rouge is my favorite. To me it smells like lemon, and leather, with some powderiness. Its quite unique, and very polarizing. I would say definitely sample first.

Not only is Habit Rouge a better choice, it is also a must-try fragrance. It is a timeless masterpiece and an essential addition to any serious collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    You really want to sample HR before you buy it. It is not going to be like anything that is at your local department store. Many would call HR "old man."

It depends on what "pull this off" means. To me, that means your peers will agree with it. In that case, not really, unless they are fume-heads that appreciate the classics.
    Could not agree more.

Before I got into this hobby, I would have smelled HR and called it "old man" and not even given it a second chance.
    So if you like a men and le male, then HR is in the wrong neighborhood and you probably would not like this.