Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does everyone want monster sillage and longevity?

I was just curious out of the members at BN are the majority of members after fragrance that has to have amazing longevity and amazing sillage?

There always seems to be threads about what lasts longest, what projects the most, what gets most attention.

I personally have gone off "longevity" scents, anything that lasts more than about 6-7 hours on me starts to make me feel bored and in some cases, unwell.

Is it down to personal tastes?, Climate?

I really like wearing close/skin scents.

Anyone else out there not really into the "longevity and power" thing?
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Default Re: Does everyone want monster sillage and longevity?

I'm really not, although sadly my skin seems to make everything last. I easily get 8+ hours out of AdP Colonia, for instance. A lot of my favorites last longer than I'd like... 12+ hours is just too much. I'd like to apply something new without the basenotes of the old scent clobbering the new scent.

Also, I've noticed that when I have any residue of a scent left on my skin, and apply something over it, that the longevity of the new scent is greatly diminished. I think people who use scented bath products, and especially those who use a lot of extremely powerful scents that last through a shower or two (I'm looking at you, Montale!) are actually decreasing the longevity of their other scents in their wardrobe by doing so. I've never, ever, not once, had a frag honestly disappear in 30 minutes or an hour, and I just can't take any review seriously that claims a frag has done so.

Sillage, too, is overrated, imo. Quite frankly, I think a lot of lesser scents are lauded here (Terre D'Hermes, for instance) in no small part because of their longevity and projection.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

It depends on situation for me.

For class/school, I'd prefer light scent, low sillage but good staying power.
    For date, party, I go for scents that speak louder, but not necessarily stay long.
    etc....

I used to only like scents with longevity and silage. I felt that for the high price i'm paying for the frag i do expect superb longevity and silage. But as i live in a country with high humidity and temperature (average 32 Celsius) all yr long, not all frags are suitable. My preference was always orientals but after experiencing 32 celsius heat in the middle of the afternoon with opium ph on, my preferences were starting to change. I now prefer fresh, woody aquatic frags.

What i look for now in fresh frags are decent longevity (5-6 hrs) and not too strong silage. I just had my first trial run of Clinique Happy Men. After a long day at work, happy still lasted but projection was still alright. But i do reach for my opium/m7 when i'm in the mood.

So bottom line...monster sillage - No
    ...monster longevity - Yes

I guess I'm the same. When I purchase a fragrance, I expect it to last. However, I would like a fragrance to announce my presence in a room to a close group of people around me. I don't want it to scream and shriek.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

I just remembered an experience i had with monster sillage..I had just bought Sean John's Unforgivable...i wore the next day to work...i thought it was a weak frag so i sprayed my skin n shirt collar generously...when i got to the office everyone started looking at me and one of my colleagues started asking "whats that smell?" and came over to me. I proudly said "its the new perfume from Sean John". Next he told me this "If u ever use this cologne again pls let me know so that i can take the day off...it smells weird and bad" and walked off. The whole office started laughing after that (even me). A few girls came over to sympathize with me by saying "the perfume is alright". Needless to say it was the first and last time i ever used Unforgivable for the office.

You should have saved up and bought Creed MI instead never fails to make people smile, not laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I just remembered an experience i had with monster sillage..I had just bought Sean John's Unforgivable...i wore the next day to work...i thought it was a weak frag so i sprayed my skin n shirt collar generously...when i got to the office everyone started looking at me and one of my colleagues started asking "whats that smell?" and came over to me. I proudly said "its the new perfume from Sean John". Next he told me this "If u ever use this cologne again pls let me know so that i can take the day off...it smells weird and bad" and walked off. The whole office started laughing after that (even me). A few girls came over to sympathize with me by saying "the perfume is alright". Needless to say it was the first and last time i ever used Unforgivable for the office.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

For me some scents that I don't want to last do and the ones you wish would hang around a little longer don't.

Some on the board here cry for long lasting power sillage fragrances - yet they complain that they HATE Joop Homme! - Go Figure

Yup.
    I wish all my favs had joop tenacity

Part of my morning routine is to fill a sample vial with my SOTD - so I typically "refresh" at lunchtime or late afternoon. But not everyone is a nut like me. Lack of sillage or / and longevity has never prevented me from making a purchase as long as I loved the scent from opening through basenotes.

Yup!

Not really. I get paranoid if I'm offending people when I'm wearing something that is too strong.

Not me.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'm right with you Andy.
    I think that very few frags disappear quickly but they all behave differently as time goes on- some have a very gentle drydown and some project lots. The trick is to know which to use when, and how to use them. For example the Eaux de Cologne and citrus splashes work well when applied heavilly - they are loud for a few minutes and then settle into a lovely fresh aura which lasts for hours. Generally, quality of smell is my first criterion. I do enjoy some big sillage but only very occasionally - in most situations it is just not appropriate.

I think of the times when I have found a person impressive - sometimes that has been accented (acscented?) by a perfume. This has always been when the perfume was subtle, never when it was loud. Too much sillage makes me notice the sillage not the person.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 25th March 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

No, not everyone wants monster sillage and longevity.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, though generally I find myself enjoying stronger fragrances. Longevity isn't that much of an issue as long as it's more than a couple hours. Once can always reapply.

There are those fragrances obviously intended to project and others that are intended as skin scents. Just because something is a skin scent doesn't mean I won't like a fragrance or that a fragrance isn't good... some truly remarkable fragrances are so good precisely because they are subtle.

I go more for the actual scent than sillage or longevity.

But if the sillage or longevity is lacking, I just spray more, if it's too much (depending on the situation), then I spray less or I don't wear the scent for that situation (ie work, hospital, gym)

It's really a situational factor, when deciding I want sillage and longevity...

I don't want monster sillage. I'd really prefer minimal sillage, actually. I don't need a trail, although I do like some projection ( so I guess I may be contradicting myself).

I do find that most fragrances have poor longevity and only last 4-5 hours or so. I want and need more ! I try to look for fragrances that have 8 hours longevity without bathing in the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Part of my morning routine is to fill a sample vial with my SOTD - so I typically "refresh" at lunchtime or late afternoon. But not everyone is a nut like me. Lack of sillage or / and longevity has never prevented me from making a purchase as long as I loved the scent from opening through basenotes.
    That's what I do and it works for me.

I actually hate excessive sillage. I don't want/need people smelling me from more than two feet away. Also, most of the time, I dislike smelling another person's fragrance unless I'm a few feet from them and engaged with that person in some way. Longevity, I like-- but if longevity is the issue, then it can be remedied by doing the above. It cracks me up when people think the best way to compensate for (perceived) lack of longevity is by going crazy with the trigger. You don't prepare to leave for a camping trip by drinking five gallons of water... you pack a canteen.

Basenotes Institution

I too, like bbBD, sometimes do want monster sillage and longevity and other times I don't.

I enjoy having the wardrobe (and the knowledge I gained here on BN) to choose either one, depending on my mood.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If I am testing a fragrance I hate... defintitely no! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I too, like bbBD, sometimes do want monster sillage and longevity and other times I don't.

I enjoy having the wardrobe (and the knowledge I gained here on BN) to choose either one, depending on my mood.
    This is the perfect reply for me, too.

However, I've tried Divatologist's application method (as described in her blog) and I'm getting amazing results. The sillage is great, but since it mixes with your own scent more, it's a lot more comfortable. And the longevity is just unparalleled. I can't believe I ever complained about YSL L'Homme's longevity - I could smell it in full force the next morning, a feat I thought only happened to the likes of Antaeus or Heritage.

I'm kinda too lazy to reapply so longevity is very important to me, sillage however I refer 2 steps away only. I used to be called "the perfume house" when I worked at the airport wearing CK Truth (I was not wearing much though, 1 one chest and 1 one back only). So I don't want to be "that guy".

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Says it all. I have always thought every scent had its purpose and character: for us to know and apply accordingly. By default, though, i am a sillage-freak
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I always want great longevity, with medium sillage.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I prefer short longevity in the summer to allow for generous application and space for other fragrances during summer nights. In the winter, longevity and sillage are generally greater

For me, it's entirely situational. Being in high school, I want something strong enough to be noticed by, say, the person sitting next to me. I don't want it to be obvious, but I want people to be able to smell it without hugging me. I also want it to last the whole day, which is 8 hours from the time I apply it. I am afraid to put a bottle of cologne anywhere in my backpack to reapply later, because if it broke, it would be a disaster. I can just imagine the entire room smelling like citrus and all of my stuff getting soaked in it.

Anyway, if I had a girlfriend and was going on a date, I would want something that stays close to the skin. That way she would notice it, but not until she got very close to me. Longevity would be a moot point, as long as it lasted a couple hours.

Had a fragrance greater or lesser sillage or longevity, would it be the same fragrance? (Hence the beauty of a decant, if need be.)

Looking at my own wardrobe, I go for medium longevity frags - but for projection power, I have perfumes that go from quiet (Prada IdI), medium (Dior Homme), to powerful (Coco or Shalimar).

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I don't think your colleague was genuinely offended by your frag. He may not have like the fact that you actually smelt more pleasant than he did so he decided to shoot you down quick. I find Unforgivable very ordinary and just 'nice'; obscure so to speak and you'd have to use at least half a bottle for you to get on someones nerves (hyperbole but you get my drift). Therefore in my humble opinion, he was just being the proverbial a**
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I want sillage and longevity because if I don't get wafts of myself during the day then I am not really getting to enjoy the perfume except when I first spray it on and that just isn't good enough for me. With some many 1,000's of perfumes to pick from I expect to be able to enjoy my own perfume without having to stick my wrist up to my nose.

I am happy with normal longevity and sillage.

Yes. Spraying less is less of a nuisance than spraying a lot and still not getting enough sillage & longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    I was just curious out of the members at BN are the majority of members after fragrance that has to have amazing longevity and amazing sillage?
    It's the fragrance equivalent of saying "mine's bigger".

Don't you know? A fragrance is fundamentally flawed if someone wearing a gas mask can't smell you on the other side of the airport terminal 12 hours after application.

Sillage? Yes at certain times!
    Longevity? Always!!!
    Gary

I also pretty much always want longevity - I like to get whiffs of my scent throughhout the day, and don't often have the time or inclination to reapply. Projection, on the other hand, I usually prefer to be moderate at best.

I used to go in for the big scents with monster sillage and longevity until I realized that after a while I wasn't wearing the scent, the scent was wearing me. Just like any other accessory that we put on, it's possible to over embellish, like wearing a pair of Micheal Kors aviator sunglasses at night, he makes some real nice shades, but to wear at night, it's just too much. I prefer scents that have good longevity with moderate(2ft) projection. Some of the stuff I use is powerful, and in that case I use less. A fragrance should accentuate not dominate.
    The marketing campaign for Creed Windsor said it best, "Royalty need not shout".
    If you need a scent to project 10ft and leave a wake behind you, you may just be trying to overcompensate for some inadequacy in some part of you anatomy.

My SoTD (and preferably also my deodorant) should pass out after, not before, I do.

On the other hand, if you're too far away to hear me speak clearly, you clearly don't need to know what I'm wearing.

Depends a bit I guess? Longevity is always something I want though, I'm not a big fan of changing scents mid-day so I want it to last. Monster projection and sillage is another matter though.... some sillage is nice, I've loved smelling cute women walking by the street for as long as I can remember .

However, say you have a workshop with 5-10-15 people in a closed room for an entire day, you should probably not spray 5 x 1 million or a*men before going to that meeting.....

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    Just like any other accessory that we put on, it's possible to over embellish, like wearing a pair of Micheal Kors aviator sunglasses at night, he makes some real nice shades, but to wear at night, it's just too much.
    Come on dude, when you're cool the sun shines 24 hours a day!

On-topic, I do usually demand outstanding longevity in my fragrances, but not so much on the sillage front. I like it when someone has to get close to me to smell my fragrance. It's like a secret I get to share with that lady who started to always sit next to me at the morning meeting after I wore Jubilation XXV to work one day. And until recently, I wouldn't buy anything that wouldn't last a full work day on me. After sniffing a ton of stuff however, I realized some of the best stuff just wasn't meant to last all day, and sometimes that's OK.

To keep it short, hell to the yes!

No, I don't: potent sillage and longevity do not fit my tastes. If wearing a sillage / longevity bombs, I usually avoid spraying more than twice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

For me, longevity is more important than a bombastic sillage. I like to get at least 7 hrs out of a scent. Anything in the 2 - 4 hr range is too weak for me, and sadly some of my favorites are like that. I prefer things that stay within a 1 ft radius of me when I'm at work, though, I don't need it trailing behind me in a cloud around co-workers.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 06:40 PM.

Sur la Plage

Yep.

It would be nice to have both but this is not the case...so I've come to terms with it. I've come to love fragrances that don't have either. If I love the smell of a fragrance on me & it doesn't have crazy sillage then fine, I'll take some spotty longevity, but I do expect at least 6 hours longetivity from a fragrance.

I tend to see scent as an additional layer of clothing - like a tie, or a hat. I would not feel well-dressed without either of these. Hence I do wish for longevity. My hat does not suddenly vanish; nor would I wish my SOTD to do so.

But not sillage. I would feel awkward were I wearing anything loud, for I must take trains.

Hirch_duckfinder's point about being accented by a scent being superior to being sharply characterised by one is good. Hard to judge, though. Is an 'accent' a thing of low sillage, or the last traces of a perfume? Is it like the phenomenon of dusk - not lasting all day, but rather chanced upon, and happily observed, as a transient phase? Is it beyond calculation, or as subject to it as sillage and longevity are? I don't know the answer to such questions.
    Last edited by Merely; 16th November 2011 at 05:28 AM.

I like loud fragrances. What's the point if I can't even smell it myself after a few hours?

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

inbefor sillagemonster!!!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Yeah, that what we pay for

Quote Originally Posted by kbandarage View Post
    Yeah, that what we pay for
    Go get some Joop! or maybe King ( http://www.amazon.com/King-1-5-oz-Cologne/dp/B0017OJ2HK ). HG material for ya right there.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

You bet!

NO on the large projection or sillage. Longevity I need.

Most of my favorites, I would be happy if they can stay for 6hrs. I do have some sillage monster but it's just a result of reading too much fron BN. lol!

I will not buy a scent I really like if it has weak projection and longevity. You just have to use less juice on the ones that are beasts.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I do...
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I adore a fragrance that can offer longevity but also a nice subtle projection. If a person gets close to me, then my fragrance should just be a lovely light cloud that surrounds me. I recently bought Versace Pour Homme and the longevity is terrible. Perhaps 2 hours at best on me.

For me, yes. But not really a monster. A decent sillage and longevity is good.

Longevity is key, but sillage is dependent on the circumstance. I don't want Angel-style nuclear fallout in school!

Hmm if 10 is maximum (Kouros) I think normally 7/10 sillage 8/10 longevity is best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Longevity is key, but sillage is dependent on the circumstance. I don't want Angel-style nuclear fallout in school!
    I've worn A*men (or do you mean the women's one?) to work and church, using one spray and a bit on the arms, no problem at all. It's not like Issey were one spray can clear a train.