Code of Conduct

Default Why does everyone hate brut?

i think it it a nice fragrance, reminds of me when i was 12 and started wearing deodorant and brut was one of my 1st cans...i thought the cologne was nice as well from what i remember......i might have to do a review now 20 years later.

oh and i love the smell of barbasol shaving creme..the regular red can.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Default Re: Why does everyone hate brut?

Just my opinion but I respect everyone's. To me, it just smells cheap and boring.

It smells bad.

CologneFan85

It smells like Pickle Juice IMO

...because it was overused in the 60's; everybody wore it. It is with perfume exactly the same as with everything; when you are confronted to it too often, it is getting very annoying...!

it will come back in style...just wait....

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    it will come back in style...just wait....
    Just like Old Spice!

I don't mind Brut. Wouldn't wear it though.

Old Spice though.. that stuff is some sexy man juice. I still wish Old Spice would produce it in an EDT spray.. it would sell big!!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

i do hope they discontinue brut and old spice for some time, that way they will be a huge demand for it when it comes back, people want what they cant have.....the fragrance industry is just like show buisness....sometimes you have to go away to come back.

I like the cologne spray of Brut. I used to hate the smell of it because it was badly overused by so many people, but it's been years since I have smelled it on anyone and my revulsion to it has abated.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Old Spice though.. that stuff is some sexy man juice. I still wish Old Spice would produce it in an EDT spray.. it would sell big!!
    This. A million times, THIS.

I think they should keep doing what they're doing with Old Spice, but they should also make an EdT. Name it "O.S. 38" as a way to pay homage to the year the men's scent was introduced. Sell it for $70 in a damn fine elegant yet manly bottle. Simple and understated but heavy and important feeling. O.S. 38. Carve the logo delicately into the glass, almost as if scraped in.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

EDP old spice.....talk about projection

I use Brut aftershave quite often - I'd certainly buy a spray EdT if they made one.
    Alan

It's too sharp and old style.

maybe because was used by so many people back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    I use Brut aftershave quite often - I'd certainly buy a spray EdT if they made one.
    They do make an EDT , I use it quite often though the cologne with the silver chain is supposed to be better and longer lasting
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...de%2Caps%2C201

I love Brut and use the EDT in combination with the aftershave and the deodorant

Basenotes Plus

It seems to get a pretty robust "thumbs up" ratio in the review section.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th January 2013 at 10:46 AM.

I tried then recent one in a plastic bottle. Other than being crude, unbalanced, lacking depth, and smelling too "synthetic," it was marvelous !

Quote Originally Posted by shoulderpet View Post
    They do make an EDT , I use it quite often though the cologne with the silver chain is supposed to be better and longer lasting
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...de%2Caps%2C201

I love Brut and use the EDT in combination with the aftershave and the deodorant
    Oh, I wasn't aware of that, thanks! I also use the AS and the deodorant, and I'll definitely try the EdT. Last time I tried the cologne with the chain, I found it a little bit "too Brut", if that makes any sense.

Update: For just £5.98, I've ordered a bottle.
    Alan

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, thanks! I also use the AS and the deodorant, and I'll definitely try the EdT. Last time I tried the cologne with the chain, I found it a little bit "too Brut", if that makes any sense.

The edt is just like the aftershave just a little stronger smelling,longevity is still a bit short but still much much better than the aftershave which fades almost instantly on me. Funny you should mention having the cologne as I will be purchasing a bottle of it to try once my edt runs out, let me know how you get on with the edt

I have a bottle and love it. It's one i WEAR ON DAYS THAT i AM WORKING FROM HOME. vERY RELAXING

The edt is just like the aftershave just a little stronger smelling,longevity is still a bit short but still much much better than the aftershave which fades almost instantly on me. Funny you should mention having the cologne as I will be purchasing a bottle of it to try once my edt runs out, let me know how you get on with the edt
    Yep, I'll be sure to let you know. The idea of the EdT smelling a bit stronger than the AS and lasting longer is appealing - the AS doesn't quiet fade immediately on me, but it certainly doesn't linger very long.
    Alan

Because I'm worried I might end up looking like this....

Only joking - Brut rules!

I actually like this scent and feel comfortable about it. In spite of the common opinion, generally (it goes not just for Brut) I do wear it, if I like it.

Reminds me of the original UK skinheads. Loved the music and associated fashion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...because it was overused in the 60's; everybody wore it. It is with perfume exactly the same as with everything; when you are confronted to it too often, it is getting very annoying...!
    Isn't that a bit of a long bow - Brut was overused five decades ago, so people who weren't even alive then don't like it now?
    Genetic memory perhaps?

Brut is a great manly scent, my only problem with it is its lack of longevity.

To my nose, Fred Hayman Touch for Men smells pretty close to Brut, but unlike it, lasts for over eight hours. I have several bottles of Touch, one of which I keep in my car for whenever I need the instant Brut-like ultra freshness.
    Regards,
    Renato

I love Brut, it's awesome. I don't like the Brut Attitude(I think that's what it's called) in the blue bottle but dig the green bottle.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I like it. I quite enjoy all of the different barbershop scents. I regularly use Clubman aftershave which I just like better than Brut and it lasts much longer as well. But the old school aftershaves/cologne splashes are great and fun to use on occasion. Plus how can you go wrong picking up a nice big bottle for $5?

I don't hate Brut! Compared to the apocalyptic stench of something like A*men its a masterpiece.

I don't hate it. Just that it's outdated and there are many other frags to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Isn't that a bit of a long bow - Brut was overused five decades ago, so people who weren't even alive then don't like it now?
    ...I know that since then wearing Brut was and still is 'not done' or 'very uncool'! I don't know anybody that wears Brut or has worn Brut ever since...! Negative imago (at least here in The Netherlands)!
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 14th January 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Not sure if I've ever smelled it. I've seen it in budget supermarkets like Lidl before Christmas though.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    .... Other than being crude, unbalanced, lacking depth, and smelling..."synthetic," it was marvelous !
    Then again one might just be describing some Nasomatto frags i know and love. Bigsly describes Brut quite accurately here, but that is part of Brut's appeal for me. I believe one does not have to like certain frags as a matter of course. Regardless of opinions here, But is in almost every drugstore and supermarket i have been to in the States, which means it must be selling by the ton. In the real world a lot of people do not really dislike the green thingie.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

As I said in my review " there is just something about this scent that just feels so right, it is like wearing a favourite old Jacket, it may not be the fanciest,classiest but it fits, it feels comfortable"

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    This. A million times, THIS.

I think they should keep doing what they're doing with Old Spice, but they should also make an EdT. Name it "O.S. 38" as a way to pay homage to the year the men's scent was introduced. Sell it for $70 in a damn fine elegant yet manly bottle. Simple and understated but heavy and important feeling. O.S. 38. Carve the logo delicately into the glass, almost as if scraped in.
    Not to hijack this thread, but YES, that would be great!! Procter & Gamble, if you're reading this lol. You know what to do..
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

...I know that since then wearing Brut was and still is 'not done' or 'very uncool'! I don't know anybody that wears Brut or has worn Brut ever since...! Negative imago (at least here in The Netherlands)!
    THIS.

One of the many things I love about this forum is threads like this, where somebody comes along to remind us to rediscover things we wrote off long long ago.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Guerlainista

I don't hate Brut. I wonder if those who say it's outdated or old-fashioned have ever worn it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Coincidentally I smelled it at the supermarket last week. I hadn't smelled it since one of my students gave me a gift pack of it 15 years ago. I wasn't into fragrances then, and thought it smelled terrible. So I tried it last week - and well it smelled "crude, unbalanced, lacking depth, and smelling..."synthetic,"". But familiar - yes.

Keep in mind that some of us would have remained a glint in their fathers eye if it was not for good old Brut working it's magic back in the day.lol

Haha Jack - maybe this thread should move to one of those "panty dropper" threads - wait a minute - no this is all just wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Haha Jack - maybe this thread should move to one of those "panty dropper" threads - wait a minute - no this is all just wrong!
    That would be your mother's panties - eugghhhhhhhhhhh LMAO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That would be your mother's panties - eugghhhhhhhhhhh LMAO

Count me in as one who likes it, and it brings back memories of a better time.

Just curious - does Brut occupy any shelf space in stores over there? That's usually a good indicator of whether it is generally unwanted, or whether it is just not liked locally or by the crowd one hangs out with.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Count me in also. I have no problem in saying that I enjoyed and continue to enjoy Brut.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Keep in mind that some of us would have remained a glint in their fathers eye if it was not for good old Brut working it's magic back in the day.lol
    Lol. Like that one.

A bit too sharp and synthetic for me - and overexposure in the past.

Dependent

yuck. the name is accurate ("crude")

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Just curious - does Brut occupy any shelf space in stores over there? That's usually a good indicator of whether it is generally unwanted, or whether it is just not liked locally or by the crowd one hangs out with.
    Regards,
    Renato
    It is for sale in some budget-drugstores and some perfumeries, but the big store chains like Ici Paris and Douglas do not sell Brut. So there is a market for this brand, but very small and for give-away prices.
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 16th January 2013 at 06:55 AM.

Apparently Elvis loved it ... And he could have probably had a Creed bespoked for himself.
    That speaks volumes
    Last edited by Riley; 16th January 2013 at 04:48 AM.

Apparently the us version of Brut is different to the version available in the uk , can anyone confirm this and what the difference is. I have Brut edt in the squareish bottle and really liking it, I understand that Brut classic is the one to go for though and will definitely get this once I run out of the edt , would be interesting to do a side by side comparison

I'm not sure about US versus UK differences, but if you are talking about Brut Classic (the slim cylindrical bottle with the silver medallion) then that is indeed better. You can get it for under ten dollars online.

I can honestly say I don't wear it outside the house much because I prefer other scents in social situations, but I do wear it when alone or with my partner quite a bit.

Hi,have you received the edt?,if so how are you finding it,how does it compare to the cologne?

Hi,have you received the edt?,if so how are you finding it,how does it compare to the cologne?
    Yes - I was out of the UK when I ordered it, but I'm just back and it was waiting for me.

To me it smells very much like the European version of the aftershave, in the glass bottle, but perhaps a little more refined and with greater longevity - first sample on my wrist was still noticeable 5-6 hours later. I don't have any of the cologne now, but the EdT seems more subtle compared to my memory of it. I like this EdT.
    Last edited by Oscroft; 23rd January 2013 at 02:19 AM.
    Alan

Not everybody hates Brut. Personally, I like Brut, Old Spice, English Leather, and British Sterling. I just think as time has gone on and I've smelled more colognes, these come off a bit sharp.

My dad was a Royal Copenhagen wearer. To this day I smile fondly whenever I smell it. I still have his last, unfinished bottle somewhere.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver