Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 4 colognes to live with for the rest of your life. Niche and Designer.

If you guys had only 4 (4 seasons) colognes to live with for the rest of your life, what would you choose and why? Here is a list of my niche and designer choices.

Niche:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed - Its versitile and timeless. Smells great and people truly enjoy the smell. The drydown is amazing to me.
    2. Amouage Reflection - This would be my smell during the cooler days. Makes me feel smelling rich and delicious. sweet deliciousness.
    3. Creed Aventus - Great amazing fresh complex transitioning cologne. The opening top notes is one of my most favorite. I actually didn't like it to much when i first sampled it, but I love it now.
    4. Bond 9 Bleeker Street - My go to cologne. I go to this whenever I can't decide. Its safe and awesome.

Designer:

1: Chanel Allure Homme Sport - All the time, any time!
    2. Joop Nightflight - Fresh, citrusly, and great! haha
    3. Bleu De Chanel - Girls love it
    4. YSL La Nuit - Makes me feel like a lady killer.
    5. Thierry Mugler Pure Malt - Gourmand deliciousness

I'm sorry in advanced. I had alot to drink today, i'm drunk..... hahahaha
    Last edited by Mistawho; 13th December 2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: New favorite.

Default Re: 4 colognes to live with for the rest of your life. Niche and Designer.

Not ranked in any particular order.

Niche:

1. Musc Ravaguer - Fredriqe Malle
    2. GIT - Creed
    3. SMW - Creed
    4. MI - Creed

Designer

1. Rive Gauche - YSL
    2. La Nuit De L'homme - YSL
    3. Kouros - YSL
    4. Body Kouros - YSL

but if I only had ONE it would be unquestionably Kouros and I'd never complain a single moment about not having other options

Default Re: 4 colognes to live with for the rest of your life. Niche and Designer.

Niche:

Amouage Reflection
    Amouage Ciel
    MFK APOM pour Homme
    Bond No 9 Eau de New York

Designer:

Prada Infusion d'Homme

Niche

Malle - Carnal Flower
    Profumum - Dulcis in Fundo
    Amouage - Epic
    C & Speake - no 88 or Black Aoud.

Designers

Rive Gauche
    Body Kouros
    Declaration
    Sycomore
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 5th November 2010 at 03:32 AM.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Niche:
    Musc Ravageur
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem(even though ive never smelled it, im sure fom what ive heard that id love it)
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus

Designer:
    Le Male
    Rochas Man
    La Nuit de L'homme
    A*Men/Pure Malt..cant choose between the two at the moment.

Tom Ford is a clothing designer,
    Hermes is a major clothing/accessory designer:

Designer:
    Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Davidoff Cool Water
    Burberry London Special Edition (black)

Niche:
    CREED Windsor
    CREED Selection Verte
    CREED Millesime Imperial
    CREED Green Irish Tweed

Hmmm....

Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia, solid traditional neroli cologne
    Acqua di Parma Colonia, a solid natural floral
    Chanel pour Monsieur for a chypre
    Mouchoir de Monsieur for a dressy type
    And Hammam Bouquet for a light, classy Oriental

Blog Entries

As of right now:

Designer: Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Bvlgari Aqva, Bleu de Chanel, and Boss Bottled
    Niche: Creed Erolfa, Malle Bigarade Concentree, Creed Millesime Imperial, Heeley Sel Marin

And I can't believe I'm leaving Mugler Cologne off that list.

Niche:
    Bond No 9 Central Park- Great in Spring and Summer.
    Bond No 9 New Haarlem- I love it on cool spring and fall mornings aswell as winter
    A Taste of Heaven By Kilian- Can dress it up and its soothing/relaxing for bed
    Byredo Fantastic Man- Casual, versatile, fresh. Perfect for all 4 seasons in Las Vegas

Designer:
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille- Love it when its cold out, can tolerate it when its hot out. Wear it with a suit and own the room
    Terred d'Hermes- Goes in the same category as Fantastic Man for me. When I cant decide on something, I reach for these 2
    Chanel Egoiste- Great formal fragrance. Havent worn it in over 12 years and I dont know why!
    Picasso Minotaure- Warm, casual...another one from my highschool days

Honorable Mention:
    DK Men- Leather, gasoline.....balls out power! So good!

Niche:
    Amouage Reflection
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Amouage Lyric Man
    Scents of Time Ankh

Designer:
    L'Anarchiste
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Ungaro II
    Givenchy Play
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

In the following order:

Green Irish Tweed
    Homage
    Citrus Bigarrade
    Windsor (still pondering (-

Ultra formal: Richard James EdT
    Formal: Vetiver by Guerlain
    Everyday: Silver Mountain Water
    Informal: One Man Show

And the one I would not go thru life without: Ungaro III
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 5th November 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Niche:
    Amouage Reflection
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Amouage Lyric Man
    Scents of Time Ankh

Designer:
    L'Anarchiste
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Ungaro II
    Givenchy Play
    The more I see your posts and sig, the more I realize how much the Amouage grew on you huh ? They ARE amazing. Surprisingly i love them all but changed the order a lot among them. Jub XXV was my fav at first and is now after epic, reflection, silver, memoir and lyric (in this order) in my book. Love its drydown but struggle a bit with the fruity openinig at the moment.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Dullah, I am quite familiar with Eau d'OV by Hermes, but not at all with Concentre D'Orange Verte.

The former captivated me initially... then it turned into pleasant detergent and little else.

Should I still investigate Concentre D'Orange Verte? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    The more I see your posts and sig, the more I realize how much the Amouage grew on you huh ? They ARE amazing. Surprisingly i love them all but changed the order a lot among them. Jub XXV was my fav at first and is now after epic, reflection, silver, memoir and lyric (in this order) in my book. Love its drydown but struggle a bit with the fruity openinig at the moment.
    Yup, there's just something about the Amouage line (well, most of it) that I love. They aren't the most natural scents and they can be loud and brash, but there's just something truly artistic in the development and evolution of most of their scents. It's hard to articulate exactly what it is about them that I love so much.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Niche:
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    de Nicolai New York
    Mark Birley for Men

Designer:
    None in current production. I find them to either be musk bombs or ladyboy scents.

Yup, there's just something about the Amouage line (well, most of it) that I love. They aren't the most natural scents and they can be loud and brash, but there's just something truly artistic in the development and evolution of most of their scents. It's hard to articulate exactly what it is about them that I love so much.
    Agreed. I think the trick, besides the amazing development they have, might be the wonderful drydown they all have. Complex, beautiful, but very conforting and peaceful if that does make sense ^^ .

Ironically, wearing - even in minute quantities, as it is my wont - various Amouage EdPs gave me headaches, allergies, and frosty stares from others, which were unmistakable in conveying their message: "Addict, you stink!".

Oy.

Balafre
    Genghis Khan
    Siecle
    Offrez-Lui

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Ironically, wearing - even in minute quantities, as it is my wont - various Amouage EdPs gave me headaches, allergies, and frosty stares from others, which were unmistakable in conveying their message: "Addict, you stink!".

Oy.
    I guess you just hang around the wrong people.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I guess you just hang around the wrong people.
    Either that or it's not the Amouage that's making people stare in a frosty manner

Hey guys, thank you for the jokes, I don't mind them.

I was just conveying real life experiences, both mine and those of others.

I hope that's allowed (-:

It's all cool Addict. I just hope you realized what I said was 100% in jest.

I'm not out to convert anyone, but on the flipside, I have a hard time not going on and on about what I love. Hope that's allowed, too!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Dependent

Sooo.... effing contemplative. I'll go with these for now:

Niche:
    Lyric Man
    Jubilation XXV
    Felanilla
    NarziB

Can I give up designer slots to expand niche slots? :-)

Silver Mountain Water
    Chergui
    Rose Poivree
    Tobacco Vanille

They maybe "niche", but they aren't the challenging over the top sort.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th November 2010 at 06:04 AM.

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Caron Pour Un Homme

Been my top five for a long time, and I see no reason to change now. I like a lot of niche fragrances, but I can't think of five that I like as much as these.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Sooo.... effing contemplative. I'll go with these for now:

Can I give up designer slots to expand niche slots? :-)

[/B]
    Damn I should have think of that

Opium pour Homme (EDP) - YSL
    Kouros - YSL
    Vetiver - Guerlain
    Terre d'Hermes (edt) - Hermes

Yatagan - Caron
    Balenciaga pour Homme - Balenciaga
    Infusion de Vetiver - Prada
    Duel - Annick Goutal

Since I dont wear niche I'll take 8 designer fragrances:

Opium pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent
    Opium Edt Yves Saint Laurent
    Coco Chanel
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Chanel
    Egoiste Chanel
    Chanel No 19 Chanel
    Antaeus Chanel
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche Chanel

Le Male
    Fleur du Male
    Body Kouros
    Green Irish Tweed

If possible to wear just one, will be Green Irish Tweed

Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Green Valley
    Frapin 1270

TF Tobacco Vanille
    TF Oud Wood
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Aramis (old faithful)
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Sur la Plage

As always, subject to change.......

Niche:

Carnal Flower
    Musc Ravageur
    Invasion Barbare
    Ambre Sultan

Designer:

Kouros
    Egoiste Concentree
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Tiffany for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bulgari PH Extreme
    Penhaligon's English Fern
    Boucheron PH EDP
    Guerlain L'Instant EDT

Parfumerie Generale Intrigrant Patchouli
    Guerlain Heritage EdP
    Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Kahn
    Montale Black Oudh

not too far, the ungaro legacy of I, II & III

Niche:

Creed SMW
    C&S No.88
    Villoresi Uomo
    Knize Ten

Designer:

Mugler Cologne
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Terre d'Hermes pure parfum
    Lalique Encre Noire

Niche: Creed Windsor
    Creed Angelique Encens
    MPG Santal Noble
    EdP Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire

Designer: Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Caron Pour un Homme (quasi-designer)
    Guerlain Derby
    Dior Homme

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'll play. Kinda enjoy the challenge.

Niche
    1725 by Histoires de Parfums
    Serge Noire by Serge Lutens
    Cuir de Russie by Creed
    Nio by Xerjoff

Designer
    31, rue Cambon by Chanel
    Esencia by Loewe
    Mitsouko by Guerlain
    Dior Homme by Dior

A designer can produce niche fragrances :-)

Don't need separate categories. These four would do for me for life, and someday the wardrobe may be only these:

YSL Live Jazz (designer)
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man (niche)
    Montale Red Vetyver (niche)
    AOS Sandalwood (niche?)

If I were adding a few more to the mix, say 3 more designers and 1 more niche, I would choose:

Encre Noire
    Gucci PH I
    Bvlgari PH (simply for its versatility)
    and
    Soivohle Massive Patchouli

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    Don't need separate categories. These four would do for me for life, and someday the wardrobe may be only these:

YSL Live Jazz (designer)
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man (niche)
    Montale Red Vetyver (niche)
    AOS Sandalwood (niche?)

If I were adding a few more to the mix, say 3 more designers and 1 more niche, I would choose:

Encre Noire
    Gucci PH I
    Bvlgari PH (simply for its versatility)
    and
    Soivohle Massive Patchouli

Regards,
    T

You have great taste. I love smaller wardrobes personally and those 4 are wonderful choices.

My four currently most used fragrances are:

Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel No 19
    Chanel Bois des Îles
    Montana Parfum de Peau

I wouldn't want to give up everything else for these, but they could keep me happy for a long time.

Niche
    Musc Ravageur - This one has to be on my list, i cant live without this one !
    Lumiere Noir PH - A new sexy beast that i just discovered
    Lyric Man - Sexy rose ... sorry Gold , Epic, Dia, Jubilation
    Tribute - Personal enjoyment, people around me seems to hate it :-s

So i give up my designer slots for niche ...

Amouage Gold Man
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Dia Man
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan

I still wanna put in

Le Labo Rose 31
    MFK Cologne Pour Le Soir
    ... and a lot more
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Niche

Musc Ravageur - Malle
    l'Air du desert Marocain - Tauer (I'm suprised it hasnt been mentioned more often)
    Ambre Russe - PdE
    Yet to find a fresh/herbal niche that I'd shell out the money for, maybe
    Mazzolari - Mazzolari or Vetiver Extraordinaire - Malle

Designer
    Cool Water (thanks Dullah, I'm not alone)
    Sur Le Nil - Hermes
    Caron - L'Anarchiste
    Shalimar - Guerlain
    Smellin good

Since I only use 2 designer-scents, I`ll pick 6 niche scents

Niche:

-Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    -Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    -Amouage Dia
    -Creed Bois du Portugal
    -Divine L`homme Sage
    -Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames

Designer:

-Michael Kors. Michael for men
    -Hermès Bel Ami.

I'll just pick four, not thinking about the illusionary divide too much. These are something I don't seem to get tired of - something I'd appreciate quite a bit if I only had four fragrances.

Eau d'Hermes
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    LV Uomo perfume
    Helmut Lang EdC

Niche:
    Creed BDP
    Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligons
    Knize Ten
    ADP Colonia

Designer:
    Armani Eau pour Homme
    Aramis Tuscany
    Rocabar by Hermes
    Very Valentino for Men

Niche

Cuir Ottoman
    Havana vanille
    Cuir Mauresque

Designer

A*Men
    Bulgari Black
    Shalimar EDC

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You have great taste. I love smaller wardrobes personally and those 4 are wonderful choices.
    Thanks. I think you and I have similar tastes generally, so I always take your recommendations to heart. As for a small wardrobe, yeah, I just feel more comfortable that way. I have gone as high as 30+ bottles, but I'm just not happy with that much clutter nor do I wear them all. Minimalism makes me happy.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Niche: Creed GIT, Creed SMW, Tauer L'Air du Desert Moracain, Creed Original Santal

Designer: Terre d'Hermes, Dior Homme, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, YSL Kouros

I just know I'm forgetting some major ones...

"I have a hard time not going on and on about what I love. Hope that's allowed, too!"

Absolutely. I'd be disappointed by the alternative, perhaps. (-:

Niche:
    Creed Aventus
    ????
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur

Designer:
    Terre d'Hermes
    A*Men Pure Malt
    YSL Rive Gauche
    YSL M7
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

The best of both worlds;

1. Spring ~ Amouage Homage
    2. Summer ~ C&S Cuba
    3. Autumn ~ Dunhill Edition
    4. Winter ~ Piper Nigrum

Limiting usage to 4 niche and 4 designer frags is something impossible for me to do. One? Yes and that would be Old Spice. After that the floodgates open.
    I am so weak. No....I am too enthused. LoL.

Designer:
    -D&G BY Man
    -YSL Rive Gauche
    -Guerlain L'Instant EDP
    -Gucci Pour Homme II

Niche:
    -Creed Virgin Island Water
    -Czech & Speake No.88
    -Kristiansand New York
    -Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Also, I would like to include Christian Dior Ambre Nuit, but unsure if it would be classed as a designer or niche fragrance!

Designer:

Havana Reserva
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Givenchy Insense
    Ungaro 1

Niche:

Chergui
    Domenico Caraceni PH
    Laura Tonatto - Albi
    Richard James (Savile Row)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Niche: Creed GIT, Creed SMW, Tauer L'Air du Desert Moracain, Creed Original Santal

Designer: Terre d'Hermes, Dior Homme, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, YSL Kouros

I just know I'm forgetting some major ones...

After looking at my collection, I actually got it right!

Old Spice
    Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Bvlgari Black
    Rive Gauche pour homme

Last edited by Dennard; 6th November 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: double post.

Niche:
    New Haarlem - Bond No. 9 (relaxing, delicious and laid back)
    Rose 31 - Le Labo (perfectly balanced spices with cedar and rose. Unique and masculine)
    Virgin Island Water - Creed (Fun, unique and relaxing that reminds me of a vacation)
    Menthe Fraiche - Heeley (Fresh, invigorating and just love the smell)

Designer:
    La Nuit De L'Homme - YSL (favorite "going out" fragrance, sexy and alluring)
    Tobacco Vanille - Tom Ford (deep, comforting and very rich)
    Rochas Man - Rochas (worn this for years, brings back awesome memories and biggest compliment getter, works VERY well on my skin)
    Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford (formal, powerful and something about the grapefruit and overall composition that is very addicting)
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

"Old" stuff:
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Guerlain Derby
    Caron En Avion
    Jean Patou Normandie

"New" stuff:
    Czech & Speake Dark Rose
    Montale Greyland
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

what a wonderful thread for me to have easy access to the favorites of fellow basenoters. I am still trying to find my way in fragrances. When I was young over 20 years ago my father had a bunch colognes from our home country of india that all had this fierce, intense smell that often was spice mixed with woods and some type of musk or incense. I've been trying to find something similar but thus far have been unlucky as most frags I've tried were layered with alot of sweetness. One of the tom ford line opened up in that way but lost its energy and died down rather quickly. Since I'm still new to the world of great scents I'm going to list the past few colgnes that I've purchased and been wearing alot.

Gucci Pour Homme II - nice smell but lacking projection and longevity.
    Burberry London - nice smell but again, lacking projection and longevity.
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme - this one i feel has it all, not as spicy or as masculine as I would have liked but a very good smell and it projects and lasts a ridiculously long time!