Code of Conduct

Default my first fragrance tragedy (read accident)

i have received cumming by alan cumming in the post today, from a swap here on bn, after waiting what it seemed like an eternity (well, quite a long time for it).
    in my excitement, when i've opened the jiffy bag containg the box, the perfume shot right outside of the box and landed with a huge splash against my marble floor (at work) where it smashed in little pieces. i've managed to swipe a couple of drops and tested it on my wrist, and of course i love it (murphy's law). what's done it's done and i'm moving on, what happened was all my fault. you have to have a philosophical attitude about it and think that in the grand scheme of things this wouldn't be categorised as a tragedy but still. 'sad, disheartened and frustrated' is quite an understatement. anywone would care to share their perfume accidents?
    Last edited by danny1967; 14th January 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Default Re: my first fragrance tragedy (read accident)

Argh. How frustrating.

I feel your pain.

2 CdG EdP (the one alfarom loves) arrived smashed en route

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    today i have received cumming by alan cumming in the post today, from a swap here on bn, after waiting what it seemed like an eternity (well, quite a long time for it).
    in my excitement, when i've opened the jiffy bag containg the box, the perfume shot right outside of the box and landed with a huge splash against my marble floor (at work) where it smashed in little pieces. i've managed to swipe a couple of drops and tested it on my wrist, and of course i love it (murphy's law). what's done it's done and i'm moving on, what happened was all my fault. you have to have a philosophical attitude about it and think that in the grand scheme of things this wouldn't be categorised as a tragedy but still. 'sad, disheartened and frustrated' is quite an understatement. anywone would care to share their perfume accidents?
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sorry to hear about that. Even more sorry seeing it.

It feel you. That happened to me with a barely used bottle of Eau de Reglisse once, slid right out of the box onto the hardwood floor. I used a clean hand towel to soak up everything off the floor - I hung it in a closet so the scent wouldn't be a total waste. And decanted what little was left in the bottle into the few empty vials I had. It was sad indeed and I did end up replacing the bottle.

My heart goes out to you! No, it's not a tragedy in the grand scheme of life, but horribly disappointing nonetheless.

I have no such story- yet- but I suspect that's because my floor is carpeted! Still, I hope I've learned to stop lifting bottles by the cap.

The horror! Unfortunately, it happens.

I once had a crashed Schiaparelli in the mail. I soaked all I could with clothes. The scent remains for a very long time on cloth, so at least I could smell it for weeks in my closet...

cacio

----
    Last edited by Foustie; 8th April 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Aw Danny. Bummer. Cumming all over the floor isn't great, is it?

for swap/sale:

Seduction in Black and HM. Both just as I wanted to put them on Ebay.

What was more annoying was the sudden death of my decant of Chanel Cuir de Russie. It didn't even fall a great distance nor was it heavy, the small bottle it was in must have been very thin.

Oh, and I've spilled my sample of Rien. It will take a while before I wish to smell it again. HM on the other hand made for a surprisingly pleasant room fragrance.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 14th January 2013 at 06:23 PM.

In all my years of collecting, I've had only one fragrance drop and break on the floor and it was a cheap $8 scent. Lucky I guess.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Danny, I am so sorry! I have been lucky and yet to have had that accident happen, but with my luck it will one day!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    i have received cumming by alan cumming in the post today, from a swap here on bn, after waiting what it seemed like an eternity (well, quite a long time for it).
    That really sucks. Sorry to see that happen. Fortunately for me all the bottles I've ever dropped and been unable to catch have always landed safely on carpet or somewhere else padded so as of yet I've not broken one.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

thanks all for the nice comments, appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

special mention to you foustie. yes, haha, lol, good one. the joke and pun are obvious and for all in plain sight to see. unfortunately for me it's a bit too early to see the funny side as it still hurts. i know, it's just a perfume and 'shit happens'.
    i can only hope that it will never happen to you and if it does, it's only a cheap, easy to find and replace perfume and not an expensive, rare , discontinued or difficult to track down. and if it does happen then no one would make obvious jokes about it. so thanks for eeer.. your 'support'.
    this is why i left basenotes in the first place and only reinforces my belief that my time here is overdue. thank you.

Ah HAHAHAHA!
    *ahem*
    Sorry for your loss, Danny...

I am sorry for your loss, and I know how lousy that feels . I have some experience of spilt perfume, as an irate girlfriend dispensed an entire cooler of vintage juice onto a concrete floor a couple of floors below. Three years and a couple of thousand pounds later, and I still haven't replaced them all.

I did mention it here at the time. See the link below.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/234...k-up?highlight=

I do hope you find a replacement soon, and can put this behind you.
    Formerly known as Inselaffe

Danny, maybe someone out there reading this has a dusty bottle of Cumming sitting around they can send you. My heart goes out to you as you didn't have much time with it.

Basenotes Institution

It's happened to me several times. From now on I never open my bottles standing over a hard floor, I usually open them up on my bed, a counter top, etc.

Cumming is a brilliant scent. In my Top 10, for sure. I wear it at least once a week. I found a couple years ago all of the body products for it too (shower gel, body scrub, body lotion) and layering all 4 made the scent even more tenacious and extended the longevity. One of Brosius' gems.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Danny, maybe someone out there reading this has a dusty bottle of Cumming sitting around they can send you. My heart goes out to you as you didn't have much time with it.
    i doubt it. but thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's happened to me several times. From now on I never open my bottles standing over a hard floor, I usually open them up on my bed, a counter top, etc.

Cumming is a brilliant scent. In my Top 10, for sure. I wear it at least once a week. I found a couple years ago all of the body products for it too (shower gel, body scrub, body lotion) and layering all 4 made the scent even more tenacious and extended the longevity. One of Brosius' gems.
    mike, it's the '2nd cumming' worth replacing the original 'cumming'? thanks.