Code of Conduct

Default Beware of selling on eBay...

I am probably not the first person to experience this, obviously,
    but I want to provide a little warning for any fellow Basenoters
    that are considering selling any bottles on eBay...

I recently sold a 1.7 oz bottle of Bulgari Pour Homme on eBay for $20
    including shipping. I have absolutely zero doubt about the authenticity
    of the fragrance--I acquired it in a swap with a fellow Basenoter that I trust,
    I've smelled the fragrance before, this bottle smelled exactly as it should, and furthermore, the box and bottle had matching serial numbers.
    This was a 100% authentic fragrance.

Anyway, I sell the bottle, ship it to the buyer. The buyer contacts me and asks
    me if I can give him a refund because it has a strong "alcohol" smell. I explain to him that I don't do refunds and I state that in the item description. He then messages me back saying that the bottle is a fake, and he's going to report it to eBay if I don't refund him. I told him go ahead, make my day, but you're not going to call me a liar and abuse the eBay buyer protection system, and that the fragrance isn't fake, it's 100% authentic, so no way am I going to refund you.

Maybe that was a mistake on my part, but it was the principal of the thing to me--eBay is not a brick and mortar store, if you buy a fragrance and don't like it, guess what? tough luck pal. At least that's my philosophy. I've been guilty of blind buying myself, and have kicked myself many times for it, but I sure as hell have never asked for a refund simply because I didn't like the fragrance. I take my lumps, try and sell/swap it and move on. But that's just me.

Long story short, tonight, I get an e-mail from eBay saying they've refunded his money, and apparently, he gets to KEEP the bottle. Of course they didn't make me refund the $20, but I mean come on! That's complete BS

You know what else? This buyer left a negative, slanderous remark on my feedback.
    I had 100% positive feedback before this deal, and what's worse is that I left him positive feedback as soon as I got his payment!

What a joke. A creep like that abuses the system, and winds up with a free bottle of a quality fragrance. I know this has mainly been a rant/steam venting, but in all seriousness, beware of this kind of crap on eBay. I don't know if there's much you can do to prevent it, but maybe being aware of this potential pitfall may help somebody out there.

P.S.

If the buyer is here on the forum and you're reading this thread, are you happy
    with yourself? Nice job of misusing the eBay system to your benefit...LOSER
    Last edited by cpp214; 29th July 2011 at 03:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beware of selling on eBay...

So far I've been lucky.
    One thing that can help is the settings at your disposal, you can set standards for buyers before they even think of bidding.

I've set settings that does not allow bidders with so many marks within a certain amount of time. Have you looked at this buyers feedback score? If an ebayer's feedback falls below 98% I stay away.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    So far I've been lucky.
    One thing that can help is the settings at your disposal, you can set standards for buyers before they even think of bidding.

I've set settings that does not allow bidders with so many marks within a certain amount of time. Have you looked at this buyers feedback score? If an ebayer's feedback falls below 98% I stay away.
    I haven't thought of that, but that's a good idea. However it wouldn't have helped me in this situation.
    This particular buyer had a lot of positive feedbacks if I recall. Nothing that would have stood out or made him seem like someone to avoid.

I can see where some people might disagree with how I handled this, but it really irked me for this guy
    to claim that I sold him a fake fragrance. Once he took that angle, I guess I saw red, and wasn't about
    to refund him. Especially since I tell people up front in the item description. If he had been nice about
    it, and just said he didn't like it, that would be one thing. But to claim it was a fake...wrong move on his part.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. It's buyer and seller beware on eBay.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ebay protects buyers, NOT sellers. I recently had a similar experience as a seller. Ebay ALWAYS decides in favor of the buyer, even if they are lying, scamming, etc. I have closed both my Ebay and PayPal accounts (Ebay owns PayPal) and will no longer be using their services in any capacity. Seriously, f*** 'em.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I read eBay boards periodically to stay current on policy shifts. It seems that now if a seller states "no refunds", eBay will not require the buyer to send back the item in order to get a refund. Usually the refund is taken from the seller's PayPal account (so if you got to keep your money, you did better than many sellers who have been burned by this policy.)

There is no question that eBay and PayPal policies are skewed to favor buyers. This is deliberate-- they want buyers to feel safe buying. Since this is so, I think it's in a seller's best interest to have a refund policy stating that a refund (of original price plus original shipping) will be given upon return of the item, with return shipping paid by the buyer. That is our policy whenever we sell.

It's not perfect solution-- sometimes you have to eat the cost of the original shipping if you have to refund-- but it does help to avoid antagonistic situations where the seller loses all-- the money, the item, the feedback and maybe gets a strike against him by eBay as well. At least with such a return policy, you get your item back and can re-sell it, and you keep your good feedback rating.

As in everything, one has to choose one's battles....

In the past few months I've had some bad experiences selling on ebay. I've sold for years without any problems. Recently I sold some stuff and the guy told me he didn't like the fragrance. He didn't even accuse me of selling him a fake. He said he wanted a refund or else he would leave me negative feedback. I didn't give him his refund but ebay and Paypal did plus he left me negative feedback. Another guy also left me negative feedback and gave me no reason why. I messaged him and he never replied.

I'm stuck with a crappy seller rating now because of this. Now the problem with looking at a buyers feedback rating is ebay no longer lets the seller leave negative feedback for the buyer! This is absurd! I've had losers like this guy and also people who win an auction and never pay, they get no negative feedback for this!
    Anyways enough of my rant. I'm sorry about what you had to go through.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

It’s difficult enough to run a brick and mortar business but I must say, after years of buying and selling items on the internet, I’ve been very lucky thus far. I agree with 30 Roses 100 %.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I read eBay boards periodically to stay current on policy shifts. It seems that now if a seller states "no refunds", eBay will not require the buyer to send back the item in order to get a refund. Usually the refund is taken from the seller's PayPal account (so if you got to keep your money, you did better than many sellers who have been burned by this policy.)

There is no question that eBay and PayPal policies are skewed to favor buyers. This is deliberate-- they want buyers to feel safe buying. Since this is so, I think it's in a seller's best interest to have a refund policy stating that a refund (of original price plus original shipping) will be given upon return of the item, with return shipping paid by the buyer. That is our policy whenever we sell.

It's not perfect solution-- sometimes you have to eat the cost of the original shipping if you have to refund-- but it does help to avoid antagonistic situations where the seller loses all-- the money, the item, the feedback and maybe gets a strike against him by eBay as well. At least with such a return policy, you get your item back and can re-sell it, and you keep your good feedback rating.

As in everything, one has to choose one's battles....
    Thanks for the advice on the the return policy.
    This situation has really opened my eyes a bit
    to how eBay operates. I didn't realize it was that
    skewed in favor of buyers. No excuse really, I
    should have read up more on the ins and outs of selling
    on eBay. I'm just glad this was a relatively inexpensive
    transaction, and that I've had the opportunity to learn
    this lesson now. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it were a more
    expensive bottle. It would be really terrible to see
    this happen with a bottle you treasure.

Basenotes Member

Sorry to hear about the bad experience but like you said at least it was an inexpensive bottle and you got to keep the money from the transaction. I tend to be wary of selling on eBay and try to avoid it mostly. I'll do a lot of reading and research on a seller before I buy something too. Not to mention the fact that eBay charges you selling fees and Paypal takes a cut of your transaction too, so you really get charged twice by the same people.

AromiErotici

About 6 months or so ago, I sold samples to a particular buyer. Once they saw that it was "shipped", they contacted me for a refund saying I misrepresented an item that they haven't even received yet since it was enroute. Really ????!!!!

I told the buyer that when they received it, to send it back to me in the exact shape that I sent it to them. I would refund her money as soon as I received it in return. She states she wants the refund NOW. I said no, when I get it back, you'll get your measley $20.

It gets delivered and she has the balls to leave me negative feedback saying I stole her money and never sent her anything.

Ebay sucks because they do nothing to protect the seller against buyers with no integrity. I'll buy juice from evilbay, but I absolutely hate selling anything there.

Buyer's usually always win with eBay/credit cards so it is best to allow them to return the item in question at their expense and then resell it. If they win a credit card chargeback there is also a $25 legal representation/settlement fee.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Typical advice on the eBay seller's board is not to sell anything on eBay that you can't afford to lose.

Now that buyers are freer to leave negatives**, most experienced eBayers will realize that some negatives are undeserved and will cut sellers a bit of slack. I will sometimes buy from sellers with a negative or two received over time, after researching the feedback history of the people who left the negative. A buyer who leaves a lot of negatives loses credibility (check out the "feedback left" of your buyer.)

I really think sellers need to be very careful how they reply to negatives. You can't control what they say about you, but you can control your reply to their feedback, which appears on your feedback page. Don't let them drag you down to their level-- it only hurts you.

If you are concerned about the negative feedback hurting your sales, you can open a new ID just for selling-- all you need is a new email address. It's allowed. The new feedback won't have any negatives on it and you can start over.

One more thing: put that buyer on your blocked bidder's list! You don't want him buying from you again. The link is on this page:
    http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyan...anagement.html

**Of course buyers were always free to leave negatives, but now they feel freer because sellers can't retaliate. What buyers have to remember is that sellers will often cancel the bids of buyers whose "feedback left" shows negatives left for sellers. Perhaps what goes around comes around eventually, after all....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th July 2011 at 05:55 AM.

Sorry to hear that This is just example of how retarded and ridiculous system of law in USA is sometimes.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I've sold a few things on Ebay. Ebay is geared towards buyers. If they don't pay nothing will happen to them but a mark on their account. Why don't they just deduct it from paypal immediately ? Who knows.

They probably smelled the fragrance and didn't like it.

There is an option to mention that you don't accept refunds. Look for it when you list your item.

All sorts of people on ebay. You just need to get through the BS sometimes.

I don't sell on eBay or Half.com for this reason. Too many people might take advantage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

As a buyer on ebay, I too have made the odd bad blind buy. I wouldn't dream of blaming the seller though. It sounds like, as with many things online, unscrupulous people are working out ways to rort and rip off - as with the above stories - how to rip off sellers. This is really sad. On another note, I bought an item a few years back, and I was just plain ripped off. I didn't actually put in a claim, because I thought "this person knows where I live", it was clearly a criminal enterprise, and not far geographically from me. I think cpp214 offers a timely reminder that while these services provide opportunities, they also contain risk to all sides. Gotta say though, I'm amazed that sellers can't leave negative feedback

I think you also slipped up badly by leaving feedback just after the buyer sent payment.

I personally leave ALL feedback until AFTER the buyer has received their item, and left feedback for me.
    In that regard, if something goes belly-up, you'll have the right of response, and can leave your own feedback accordingly.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    ... if something goes belly-up, you'll have the right of response, and can leave your own feedback accordingly.

Unfortunately on eBay USA sellers can't leave any feedback other than positive. Nor are they allowed to leave negative sounding remarks with a positive feedback rating-- if the buyer complains, eBay will remove it.

Oh thats just bonkers! As far as I know, we have no such restrictions on ebay Australia! This is truly gob-smacking!

Blog Entries

So Ebay sucks?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    So Ebay sucks?
    Only to sell there. Buying is a different animal altogether.

Basenotes Member

Wow for a moment I thought you talking about my recent purchase of Bulgari homme. However, I didn't do what that douche did. It was a blind buy and I thought the fragrance was way too light on me, almost couldn't smell it. But I told the seller that and told him I was just going to resell it and hoped I wouldn't lose any cash (I used probably 10 mL of it trying to smell it). He offered to refund a portion of it, like $10 so I was thrilled. I would never threaten to leave negative feedback.

Just a week before however, I had a a bad experience buying the Extreme version of Bulgari. The bottle was used but the sprayer didn't work correctly and only squirted out in tiny spurts. And after having to use 10 little squirts a disgusting oily residue was left over with a weird selling scent. It must have been really off. I contacted the seller and asked for a refund, saying that the item wasn't accurately described as clearly, at the very least the sprayer was broken (and the juice probably rancid). They offered $10 back (from a $55 total purchase). I told them I wanted to return it as it was useless to me. They offered 20 back and I could keep it but I didn't want it as it smelled too awful. I said I would dispute with paypal and did so, stating my case clearly. I thought if an item isn't described correctly that it would be automatic grounds for a refund. (guess claiming fakes are better grounds) I received the same counteroffer of $20 which I refused; but I was warned by paypal that I could lose any chance of my money back if they decided in the sellers favor. I thought I should get a refund and was willing to ship item back. But paypal then ruled against me and wouldn't refund any of my money. Basically I would be screwed if I couldn't work something out with the seller. Fortunately after speaking to the actual seller by phone (not her assistant) and explaining situation she agreed to give me back $23 which was half of the purchase price knowing I was going to have to relisted item to break even.

In conclusion, it's hard to say how things will work out with Paypal; and I didn't realize paypal would ever give someone their money back on your behalf but let the seller keep it. I know that if the transaction is cancelled or refunded there should not be any feedback allowed. Some feedback can be removed if it violates ebay's policies if you call them. I had a negative comment from a seller removed (which she left with a positive rating, which isn't allowed I guess) after calling ebay. Try calling them and explaining situation.

I mostly buy on ebay but lately have been selling a dozen or so things with no trouble so far. My advise would be to use paypal's dispute resolution sparingly and be as accommodating as you can to a buyer (within reason). Sometimes a phone call and talking one on one can resolve disagreements. I would probably just offer to refund half the purchase price of something someone was unhappy with and hope they accept that and keep the item. Or just take it back.

I have just resold both those fragrances very cheap (and with full disclosure about defective sprayer) with fingers crossed. I have informed the bidder of the regular Bulgari that it is a close to the skin/scent and does not project a lot. I hope that's enough. I will have just broken even on the whole affair.

Hope my experience is useful to you.
    Last edited by cybermorph; 29th July 2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Dimitri, I have to agree!

If you sell on Ebay (US anyway) you can state "no refunds" in your listing, but you really have to give the customer a refund if they ask, or Ebay/PayPal will do it anyway. So be gracious and at least you might get your item back. Such is the cost of doing business, unfortunately.

Unless Ebay (US) changed it's policy recently, it should be impossible for a buyer to leave negative feedback after they receive a refund, and any feedback previously left should be removed by Ebay. If a buyer is refunded, no transaction took place, so there is no transaction to rate. That used to be Ebay's policy (maybe still is).

I sold a big ticket item once ($400) and the buyer was given a refund by Ebay/PayPal without returning it. I emailed Ebay/PayPal and said if you aren't going to require the item be returned to me, give me back my money or you're stealing from me. I asked for the name/address of their legal counsel and told them I was filing suit in small claims court where I lived. In 7-10 days the money was back in my account.

AromiErotici

Too much hypocrisy, shill bidding and sellers having to kiss someones ass if an unscrupulous buyer knows how to manipulate the ebay system.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've submitted a request for eBay
    to remove the negative feedback, since they wound up letting the guy
    keep the item AND get his money back. I'm not getting my hopes up,
    but maybe they will remove it.

I will still sell on eBay, but I've learned a lot as a result of this incident,
    and some of the recommendations in this thread. Thanks guys.

Here's an easy-ass way to manipulate EBay if you're a crook. Order a legit bottle of GIT. Upon receiving the item, file a complaint with EBay that the item received is fake and you wish to return it. Then send an actual fake bottle of GIT back to the seller. The seller will complain to EBay stating that you pulled a fast one and swapped the real bottle for a fake. Seller will provide serial numbers and pics to EBay proving that they are telling the truth. EBay wont care whatsoever and will STILL decide in favor of the buyer. EBay will refund money to buyer and go after the seller for reimbursement. ALWAYS!

It is not just on Ebay that this happens. I used to have my own business and I had customers refuse to pay after the project was complete even though I did it exactly as they requested with a signature on the artwork from the proposal. One even hired a lawyer who told me if I did not walk away that he would make me pay back the 50% deposit. There are slimbags everywhere.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    What buyers have to remember is that sellers will often cancel the bids of buyers whose "feedback left" shows negatives left for sellers. Perhaps what goes around comes around eventually, after all....

Thank you so much this is truly great advice. I'm selling two mainstreams right now myslef for the first time and I really hope everything works out. I mean I will do everything in order to ensure a smooth deal and only hope the buyers do the same.
    Smellin good

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

timaru, here is a useful tool to find our what negative feedback anyone has left:

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs

Realize, however, that some negatives are justified. Good buyers do need to leave negatives for bad sellers for the protection of other buyers.

So if your bidder has left negatives, take the time to look at their overall feedback, as well as the feedback of the seller they left the negative for. If most of the buyer's "feedbacks left" are positive, and if they also receive mostly good feedbacks, and the seller they left the negative for has received other negatives for similar cause--the buyer was likely in the right.

If you do cancel a bid, be sure to add the buyer to your blocked bidder list right away.

I asked for refunds from sellers who sent me something that was clearly not in good condition anymore. They did refund/replace the item. So I think it's good that Ebay sides with the buyer in these cases. (btw not saying that your item wasn't fine)

That said, it seems very unfair that they give him a refund and let him keep the item. Surely he should have sent it back first.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It's buyer and seller beware on eBay.
    For sure.

I started to sell my collection on Ebay a few months ago. Stated in big type in the listing that I would only ship to the US. A guy in Africa (don't remember the country) with little feedback history bid on, and won, an auction for a very expensive cologne. When I emailed him asking him to withdraw his bid because I only shipped to the US, he demanded I ship to him anyway. Ebay's response? Regardless of what my listing said, I had to click a button in a drop down menu when I placed it for sale to block international bidders, and if I didn't, I was SOL. Actual quote: "We make you do that because buyers don't read the listing." I will never sell on Ebay again. Look for my sales thread here in a week or two! (shameless plug).

Where's Griff when you need him? He works for ebay...
    The Bark Bites Back.

I'm on eBay UK and I have been buying and selling there for quite some time...and so far so good! Sold phones, software (> £200 items) and now perfumes which I don't use anymore (Creeds, T.Fords), all with very smooth transactions with buyers who paid immediately after winning the auction (1 Ukraine, 2 UK, 1 Australia). They received their items within 2 weeks, left positive feedback, and I manage to break even/make a small profit. Guess I'm pretty lucky so far!

What you do in these cases is tell him to ship it back (per Ebay rules he has to pay for return shipping) to get a refund, and Ebay requires a tracking no. too. That will eliminate the aholes who are just messing with you, because there is no point in buying something only to ship it back. Of course, if he's a real d*ck he could ship back a rock or something . . .

I have sold a few thousand items on ebay and one out of a thousand buyers are scammers, in my experience. It's a PITA, but try selling in person on craigslist or similar and tell me it's not a FAR bigger hassle!

There is an ebay blacklist, so you can copy and paste a list of buyers that you can exclude from bidding.

Overall, ebay is usually a quick and easy way to sell unwanted stuff, yes it is risky and yes they charge a lot but there is no better way that I have experienced to get rid of junk. People can be a huge PITA in any situation.

Yeah, my experiences up to now have been nothing but good.
    I guess this was about my 35th transaction overall, and about the 15th
    sale, and all have been good up until now.

Overall, the eBay experience has been positive for me.
    After having some time sit back and analyze the situation,
    I would call this more of a "bump in the road" for me.
    I've sold a variety of items on eBay that I would most
    likely not have been able to sell anywhere else.
    I've only recently begun selling fragrances there, as I only
    really got into the hobby in earnest about 6 months ago.

Having said that, I'm very thankful for this forum as well.
    If at all possible, I much prefer buying and selling fragrances
    here on Basenotes. All of my swaps/sales have been hassle
    free so far.

I've been stuck once so far from a lady that paid for a bottle of Clinique Happy that I bought from Sephora. She paid for it a day before Easter and wrote me a nasty letter wondering why it wasn't delivered the next day. First off I told her that she paid for priority shipping which isn't next day and then went on to call her a dumbass for thinking that the USPS delivers on Sunday and a holiday at that. She pulled the "it's fake" move when she got it 3 days later and got her money back without having to return my fragrance.
    I wrote her a letter stating that I knew her address and I would be in town to take out the money I lost out on from her ass. I think I scared her pretty good as I knew the area where she lived and it was only a little over an hour from my house. She sent me an apology letter and stated that she was a single mother that wanted to give her son a gift by ripping me off. An honest thief.

Blog Entries

30 Roses,
    No matter what kind of return you offer, you have to pay for it if the buyer decides upon it. I've had some bad experiences with some people who think everybody and their mothers could mix up a scent in their kitchen in 5 minutes and everything is fake by default unless proven otherwise in their own chemistry lab, but still come to Ebay to buy them. There is no cure for cynicism. But Ebay is a necessary evil for the wide audience they offer if you need to get rid of something.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

mudassir,

Perhaps I didn't word that right. Our stated policy is to refund the entire amount of the original payment, including original shipping, for any reason. This way a buyer has no cause to file a dispute. This has worked for us, though admittedly this policy means a seller sometimes loses money.

We have only had to refund once (buyer decided he didn't want the item after all, even though he didn't find fault with it.) We lost money because we'd already used his payment to ship the item to him, so the refunded shipping money came from our own pockets. The buyer left positive feedback. We relisted and resold the item without a hitch.

EBay cannot force a seller to refund return shipping, but if I were at fault, I would refund return shipping as well (after the item was returned.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 29th July 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    No matter what kind of return you offer, you have to pay for it if the buyer decides upon it.
    Yep, there it is.

Bottom line:

If Ebay has a stupid policy that allows people to receive items and get guaranteed refunds with minimal effort, justification or risk, people will take advantage of that policy.

So, don't use Ebay. And everyone lived happily ever after.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It's actually better than it used to be because all they would do is contact Ebay and PayPal and they would charge you for the loss so you came out with nothing. Now it's all on Ebay to refund the money and doesn't come out of your pocket. This is why there's so many fake creeds on Ebay. All they have to do is sell a couple of bottles and when they get called out selling a fake they just open up another account.

It seems like this could be a bigger problem as far as selling frags go... I have noticed a lot of frag sellers don't have great feedback and I kinda doubt that everyone that sells frags can't figure out how to do business or sells fakes. I think frag consumers are probably to blame as much as bad sellers.

I have only sold a few frags on ebay, and ALREADY had one bad customer. I had to file a complaint after waiting 1 week to get paid for the auction, then the customer told me he thought it was more like 98% used rather than my estimated 99% so I had to refund him a dollar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's actually better than it used to be because all they would do is contact Ebay and PayPal and they would charge you for the loss so you came out with nothing. Now it's all on Ebay to refund the money and doesn't come out of your pocket. This is why there's so many fake creeds on Ebay. All they have to do is sell a couple of bottles and when they get called out selling a fake they just open up another account.
    It can still be very easily abused, and does get abused. I don't want to mention some of the scenarios on a public board to give dishonest people scamming ideas. But Ebay makes it much easier for getting the dishonest or abusing side out of a buyer than a seller. I have no doubt in my mind that there are more buyers on Ebay scamming sellers for a living, than there are sellers who are selling counterfeits.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

No I don't think Ebay makes you pay for return shipping. In other words, if buyer pays $20 + $5 shipping, but then wants to return it and has to pay $4 to ship it back to you, you only have to refund $25 not $29.

Wow I definetly will not use eBay now! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    I am probably not the first person to experience this, obviously,
    but I want to provide a little warning for any fellow Basenoters
    that are considering selling any bottles on eBay...

I recently sold a 1.7 oz bottle of Bulgari Pour Homme on eBay for $20
    including shipping. I have absolutely zero doubt about the authenticity
    of the fragrance--I acquired it in a swap with a fellow Basenoter that I trust,
    I've smelled the fragrance before, this bottle smelled exactly as it should, and furthermore, the box and bottle had matching serial numbers.
    This was a 100% authentic fragrance.

Anyway, I sell the bottle, ship it to the buyer. The buyer contacts me and asks
    me if I can give him a refund because it has a strong "alcohol" smell. I explain to him that I don't do refunds and I state that in the item description. He then messages me back saying that the bottle is a fake, and he's going to report it to eBay if I don't refund him. I told him go ahead, make my day, but you're not going to call me a liar and abuse the eBay buyer protection system, and that the fragrance isn't fake, it's 100% authentic, so no way am I going to refund you.

Maybe that was a mistake on my part, but it was the principal of the thing to me--eBay is not a brick and mortar store, if you buy a fragrance and don't like it, guess what? tough luck pal. At least that's my philosophy. I've been guilty of blind buying myself, and have kicked myself many times for it, but I sure as hell have never asked for a refund simply because I didn't like the fragrance. I take my lumps, try and sell/swap it and move on. But that's just me.

Long story short, tonight, I get an e-mail from eBay saying they've refunded his money, and apparently, he gets to KEEP the bottle. Of course they didn't make me refund the $20, but I mean come on! That's complete BS

You know what else? This buyer left a negative, slanderous remark on my feedback.
    I had 100% positive feedback before this deal, and what's worse is that I left him positive feedback as soon as I got his payment!

What a joke. A creep like that abuses the system, and winds up with a free bottle of a quality fragrance. I know this has mainly been a rant/steam venting, but in all seriousness, beware of this kind of crap on eBay. I don't know if there's much you can do to prevent it, but maybe being aware of this potential pitfall may help somebody out there.

P.S.

If the buyer is here on the forum and you're reading this thread, are you happy
    with yourself? Nice job of misusing the eBay system to your benefit...LOSER

eBay sees every seller as their enemy. We are at the buyer's mercy and they have eBay's blessing to defraud, lie cheat and steal. They can say anything they want and they get the item, a refund, they can leave negative feedback and for some reason, ebay seems to get off on that. We as sellers, who used to be the life blood of ebay are now seens as tools to enrich eBay because no matter what, t hey;re pasid even if our money is sucked away by the fraudulent buyers. I would beware too. Selling for a long time and can;t stand the way ebay treats us.

I've had good luck selling on Amazon but have not tried ebay yet. I'm always a bit leary about ebay anyway.