Code of Conduct

Default what a difference a drydown makes - Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Had always wrote this fragrance off based on my initial impressions, im not overly patient with fragrances if I detect any unpleasant notes any usually if it doesnt immediately smell good then it gets washed off (bad i know) However based on other peoples impressions of this fragrance and the praise heaped upon it I decided to try it again when I was in a local shop (they have a tester).

My first impression upon spraying was that the fragrance was a bit blah, masculine but not fantastic, not getting the shaving cream or any nuances people speak about with this fragrance.
    15 Mins later the fragrance has dried down , the difference is like day and night, im getting the shaving cream reference, a little bit of mint (i think) and im getting the Brut reference that people mention, in short I really like this fragrance and am glad I gave it the respect it deserves

Default Re: what a difference a drydown makes - Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

I think it's a very nice fragrance.

Indeed, a scent that only improves with gradual drydown and also a timeless masterpiece of understated powerhouse elegance.

So you never even gave it 15 minutes before?
    That does sound a bit impatient!
    I can never tell if I'm going to be in the mood for this one or not. I do enjoy it sometimes. I think it's hard to get past the fact that it's a way off how it used to smell back in the day, for those that remember.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    So you never even gave it 15 minutes before?
    That does sound a bit impatient!
    I can never tell if I'm going to be in the mood for this one or not. I do enjoy it sometimes. I think it's hard to get past the fact that it's a way off how it used to smell back in the day, for those that remember.
    Absolutely but I am glad I did wait for the drydown this time

A very good frag.

I have heard there is a plastic bottle and a glass bottle version that are different , is this true? and if so how do i know which one I am getting if I order online?

I also enjoy the dry down on this, but can't stand the sharp and abrasive opening. This is a fragrance thats dry down is never spoken of really, but it's actually quite nice!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Didn't live up to the hype I read from other "powerhouse" fragheads. Seemed to me like liquified Irish Spring soap... so I don't need PRPH when I can accomplish the same with the much cheaper Sung Homme.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Paco Robanne Pour Homme will always be close to my heart. I wore bottle after bottle of it in the 80's. I absolutely adored it. I was known as the Paco Robanne guy amongst my friends and fellow students. Today however, PRPH is but a hint of what it used to be. The opening was majestic and the dry down glorious. And yes, I remember the barber shop vibe that brought to me so much comfort. My father wore this, my older brother, than I. Paco Robanne PH will always be near and dear. Glad to see that men today are trying it out and discovering this fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

My friend, senore01 -

Your words here are so wonderfully written - echoing my heartfelt sentiments. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (in Vintage formulation) is my favorite all-time masculine scent. There will never be another like it...

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Paco Robanne Pour Homme will always be close to my heart. I wore bottle after bottle of it in the 80's. I absolutely adored it. I was known as the Paco Robanne guy amongst my friends and fellow students. Today however, PRPH is but a hint of what it used to be. The opening was majestic and the dry down glorious. And yes, I remember the barber shop vibe that brought to me so much comfort. My father wore this, my older brother, than I. Paco Robanne PH will always be near and dear. Glad to see that men today are trying it out and discovering this fragrance.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

A legendary classic. -A bit dated though..

Yes!! My father wore PRPH and gave me a bottle when I was relatively young. Its a very clean scent that I tend to use after a nice shave before starting a day of business casual attire. I think this fragrance is definitely great at portraying a clean cut, well groomed character. Definitely underrated.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Oslo-Fjord -

A quick comment - to me, never dated. It is, as you said, "a legendary classic"...therefore, timeless (not dated).

Still get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    A legendary classic. -A bit dated though..
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen