Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default the irony of winter fragrances

The common conception is:
    "Wear heavier stronger fragrances in the winter because there is a lack of heat to project the fragrance and your coat covers your body preventing the fragrance from projecting"

This is only if you are outdoors. Keep in mind when you step inside, you will probably take your coat off. Also, it won't be as cold inside. Actually, most buildings in developed countries have heaters, so the rooms may be warmer and have more heat in the winter than in the fall. And your fragrance will project just as much as it would in the spring.

Default Re: the irony of winter fragrances

Is that the common idea? I thought people gravitated toward warmer fragrances in the cooler months for the same reasons they gravitate toward warmer fabrics - they're cozy, comforting, and warming. To me, resinous, ambery and spicy orientals are the cashmere sweaters and woolen blankets of the fragrance world. And in the warm months I generally prefer something more cooling and refreshing, like bright, astringent greens. At least that's how I think of it - it's got nothing to do with projection, as far as I'm concerned. I have lots of fragrances I wear in the winter that don't have any projection to speak of, but they do tend to have longevity due to heavier bases.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Is that the common idea? I thought people gravitated toward warmer fragrances in the cooler months for the same reasons they gravitate toward warmer fabrics - they're cozy, comforting, and warming. To me, resinous, ambery and spicy orientals are the cashmere sweaters and woolen blankets of the fragrance world. And in the warm months I generally prefer something more cooling and refreshing, like bright, astringent greens. At least that's how I think of it - it's got nothing to do with projection, as far as I'm concerned. I have lots of fragrances I wear in the winter that don't have any projection to speak of, but they do tend to have longevity due to heavier bases.
    This is my thinking as well.

I am sure some on here my gravitate to fragrances that will project better when being in the cold outdoors, but most because it is a warmer scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

All conventional thought is flawed. Basenotes is simply a culture and it propogates beliefs that aren't founded in inherent fact but rather in customary preferences.

So, you could wear Acqua Di Gio in the winter as well as you could wear Tobacco Vanille. Have it more fitting toward your look and get compliments. Not a guarentee, but you COULD.

Blog Entries

Yes, you COULD. But Evangeline is right.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    So, you could wear Acqua Di Gio in the winter as well as you could wear Tobacco Vanille. Have it more fitting toward your look and get compliments. Not a guarentee, but you COULD.
    Of course you could. And if you prefer AdG, you should. I agree with Evangeline- I go for "warmer" fragrances in cold weather because I enjoy the warmth of them when it's cold. But I'm not about to tell you you should do the same. Wear what you enjoy.

Some people overapply fragrances in winter as they do in spring, summer and in autumn.

IMO it depends on how much you use according to the weather. I use all my frags all year round. I just make sure I apply the right amount of sprays according to the weather.

Projection is not a factor in fragrance choice for me in any season. I wear whoppers and quiet ones both, depending on mood. The main point of wearing scent for me is to enjoy a beautiful piece of art, whether others notice or not. I think Evangeline nailed it, too. I reach for denser scents in the cold because they provide the illusion of warming me up. I reach for them when it's hot, too, as I feel they bloom more in the heat. And I really don't think the majority of the non-perfume nut population considers this idea of heavier scents in winter at all. But BNers are bound to tell you to wear what you like whenever you want. We may be a culture but it's a culture with very few conformists.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Overcome By Fumes

I do not respect any seasonal stereotyping in my fragrance selections.

I agree with the original posting that the logic of decreased projection depending on outside weather conditions is faulty when a person is going to spend time indoors. I would further state that typical average skin temperature, in places where people are likely to apply fragrance, does not vary by more than a couple degrees at any given time of year.
    Last edited by docluv45; 14th January 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Basenotes Plus

I agree with Evangeline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I would further state that typical average skin temperature, in places where people are likely to apply fragrance, does not vary by more than a couple degrees at any given time of year.
    You have obviously never lived in the UK.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

"Wear heavier stronger fragrances in the winter because there is a lack of heat to project the fragrance and your coat covers your body preventing the fragrance from projecting"
    Is that the common idea? I thought people gravitated toward warmer fragrances in the cooler months for the same reasons they gravitate toward warmer fabrics - they're cozy, comforting, and warming.
    No, it isn't the common idea. People don't wear heavier scents in the winter because the colder weather cuts down fragrance projection. Increased projection and longevity are just a nice benefit of many (but not all) heavier scents. People wear heavier scents in the winter because tastes and preferences change with the colder temperatures. Evangeline nailed it, particularly with the "comforting" comment. Warming too, perhaps, but definitely comforting. Another word for it is cravings. Tastes, preferences and, yes, cravings.

Yes, the temperature indoors is often warmer in winter months than it is in summer months since we use heaters in winter and air conditioning in summer... but does that stop people from wanting lighter beer in the summer and darker beer in the winter? Of course not. Pubs serve more stouts in winter than summer, and they serve more IPAs in the summer than winter. Why? People's tastes change as their environment changes. It's also common to drink more white wine in the summer and red wine in the winter. And people crave heavier foods, such as thicker soups and stews in the winter, and lighter foods in the summer.

As evangeline says above, the choice of heavier scents for the winter has nothing to do with projection or longevity. It's the smell people are after. In the colder weather, people's tastes change, thus different smells are more appealing - even for people who spend most if not all of their time indoors.

To say people choose how they want to smell in different seasons based primarily on how far the smell projects or how long the smell lasts is to miss the point of wearing a scent entirely.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I guess that is if one follows common fragrance conceptions.

Basenotes Plus

All conventional thought is flawed. Basenotes is simply a culture and it propogates beliefs that aren't founded in inherent fact but rather in customary preferences.
    I am trying to figure out exactly where you are going with this statement.

I hope you are not thinking that most who have replied, their opinion is flawed based on what you may consider conventional thought or wisdom. If you are, then you are the one who really needs to rethink your wisdom and this statement.

The majority of people in this world, if they wear perfume at all, probably have two maybe three different perfumes and purchase based on what they like, not on the season.

Can someone wear Aqua Di Gio all year round, you bet they can. I wore it for 5 years every other day and that was when I lived in Philadelphia, so yes, wore it hot or cold, rain or snow, sunny or overcast.

If I lived by your opinion, now living in South Florida, I would never wear warmer scents, since 11 months out of 12, it is hot and humid down here, and that is certainly not the case at all.

people gravitated toward warmer fragrances in the cooler months for the same reasons they gravitate toward warmer fabrics - they're cozy, comforting, and warming.... it's got nothing to do with projection...
    exactly

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

YOUR fragrances, YOUR rules. But thinking about how far your worn fragrance projects shows consideration to others who may happen to share your space. It's better than 'conventional thinking' imo.

Very close to my own thinking. I think stronger, heavier fragrances also work better for most in the winter because the lower humidity tends to dry out people's skin which causes the skin to absorb the oils in the fragrance more rapidly thereby giving less longevity and projection.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Lately, I have ceased to wear fragrances on a strictly seasonal basis- thus, if I like a scent with a more "summery" vibe, I might also wear it in winter.

Basenotes Member

For sustainability reasons my home only has passive heating and cooling, so there's a minimal temperature buffer. While I understand that scent can't literally change my temperature, wearing refreshing summer scents in winter is the equivalent of eating icecream in the cold while wearing a t-shirt. I really do 'feel' colder.

And wearing heavy orientals in summer exacerbates the feeling of heat, so not only do I wear different fragrances seasonally, I usually check the weather daily before choosing something to calibrate how much 'heating' or 'cooling' I might need. It seems excessive, but it really is uncomfortable to be stuck with a warm 'cozy' fragrance on a hot day with no aircon.

When I lived in a heat controlled home my preferences weren't so dictated by temperature. I wore anything, anytime. It's part of being in a cocooned environment that we become divorced from the seasons, and every day is like every other day, so why would we choose a fragrance based on the seasons?
    Last edited by grasslands; 7th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.

All conventional thought is flawed...
    Does that make all unconventional thought flawless?

I don't go in for seasonal perfume all that much. For me it's about tolerance. Some scents become cloying in the heat. Cooler weather gives me the oppertunity to wear them.

This is only if you are outdoors. Keep in mind when you step inside, you will probably take your coat off. Also, it won't be as cold inside. Actually, most buildings in developed countries have heaters, so the rooms may be warmer and have more heat in the winter than in the fall. And your fragrance will project just as much as it would in the spring.
    I frequently think about htis since I pretty much always work indoors. I also work with sick patients so I don't have many opportunities to wear my "winter" fragrances. That's why you'll sometimes hear me say that I "spittle" my frags on, because even one spray could be enough to nauseate a patient. With my heavier scents I just put the tiniest amount of juice on - just enough so I can get a whiff of it every once in a while.

It's a shame too, because I really love some of the heavier fragrances that I own.