Code of Conduct

Default What Has Happened to Caswell Massey?

I just went out on Caswell Massey's site and it would seem that in the past year they have dumped an enormous amount of their standard fare.

Gone are four men's lines: Verbena, Lime, Aura of Patchouli, Tricorn.

Also gone are all of the women's signature scents: Lavender, Rose, Gardenia, Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Honeysuckle.

All that's left are two generic eau de toilettes: Lavender and Verbena without any lines of products attached, and five of the men's scents: Number Six, Jockey Club, Greenbriar, the new Newport, and Sandalwood.

Does anyone have any insider info as to what made them make this drastic reduction of their own products, besides the
    perhaps obvious that no one was buying them any more due to a complete change in how the world views fragrance?

Default Re: What Has Happened to Caswell Massey?

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a fast changing world. We are saturated with products while our paychecks are in many cases shrinking. The age of their consumer is probably 50 and up (I'm 45, so no disrespect). On the plus side, they do/did carry Lorenzo Villoresi and Trueffit and Hill. Caswell Massey might be in trouble. They offer a nice line, but in truth I have bought very little of it.

I like Caswell Massey products. Their store at a local mall seems to do brisk business. I'm guessing this is less a reflection of larger market conditions and more related to general product realignment. Wouldn't be surprised to see the missing items replaced with new merchandise. Who knows - the deleted items could come back later as "exclusive limited editions" i.e. marked up sky high. If you like them, you should snap up remaining inventory now.

Quote Originally Posted by JackTwist View Post
    perhaps obvious that no one was buying them
    Probably this

The fragrance business can be tough. Here today, gone tomorrow!

Caswell-Massey has recently been experimenting with upping their game in certain areas, like their recent introduction of more luxurious soaps. I don't know how well that's going, though. The best one of those, Onyx, (which was $50 for 3 bars) now seems to be on its way into oblivion. It was great soap, but I doubt many people bought it since it was so expensive. Who knows what they're planning to do in terms of fragrance. I was sorry to see Tricorn disappear. Luckily, I bought a bottle about a year ago.

I think Caswell Massey has kind of lost its way. I love its almond soap, which I buy regularly. But that Onyx thing was really dumb. I mean, really, fifty dollars for three bars of soap? That's right up there with Santa Maria Novella, which is about the most expensive off-the-shelf commercial soap I've heard of.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I think Caswell Massey has kind of lost its way. I love its almond soap, which I buy regularly. But that Onyx thing was really dumb. I mean, really, fifty dollars for three bars of soap? That's right up there with Santa Maria Novella, which is about the most expensive off-the-shelf commercial soap I've heard of.
    Yeah, I basically agree, but I sprung for it at the $50 price and then when they had a half price sale, I bought some more. It was some seriously good soap. It all depends on what you value. If they introduce some really great fragrances with top quality ingredients, priced at twice what they had been charging for their fragrances, we'll be all over them.