Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Vs Mother Nature

I was out and about for a few hours today. I knew the forcast was predicting very cold, so I planned ahead fragrance wise & went for the quite punchy and long lasting Gucci PH 1....

It did nothing. Absolutely nothing. I was only out for about three hours, but by the time I got home it had died. This thing normally goes all day on me.

On the other end of the scale, I tried wearing fragrance in the 100+ desert heat of Las Vegas last summer - both Versace Man Eau Fraīche & Chanel Platinum Egoise were just eaten up by the relentless heat.

So here's my question - if you're going to be mostly outside, is there really any point in wearing fragrance if it's going to be either REALLY hot or REALLY cold? I can't say i've ever worn anything that has performed brilliantly in the outdoors if it's one extreme or the other. It was just above freezing today btw...

Over to you...

Default Re: Fragrance Vs Mother Nature

Surprised that GPH! didn't do the job in the Winter. Encre Noire would have taken care of that. Also surprised of VMEF & CPE. It may just be your skin. Next time spay on your clothes as well. That may help.

I don't seem to have any problem in extreme cold temps. In very hot and humid temps I might not choose to apply anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't seem to have any problem in extreme cold temps. In very hot and humid temps I might not choose to apply anything at all.
    I did ok at night in Vegas with Chanel P.E, but that was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't seem to have any problem in extreme cold temps.
    +1.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 13th January 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

On my skin, just about all of my fragrances perform better in warmer temperatures than in the cold.

No problem in cold temps, just hot ones.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    On my skin, just about all of my fragrances perform better in warmer temperatures than in the cold.
    Interesting. Maybe I think what I do because we don't often get very warm days here. So being "out and about" usually means being in the cold. Or at least, the not very warm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    No problem in cold temps, just hot ones.
    Oh. My theory busted then! Perhaps I just made a duff selection? I did toy with going with Black Afgano, but I didn't think the folks on the bus would thank me for that...

Overcome By Fumes

In high temperature situations, the volatile chemicals sublimate quickly and disappear faster than they would otherwise, leading most fragrances not to last as long, while if it is very cold, much less of the volatile chemicals make it into the air, making it more difficult to detect them.

Despite that, it would seem like some of you stronger fragrances such as Black Afgano, AMen, L'Air du Desert, or Tuscan Leather would last through the cold period and re-appear once you got back into warmer surroundings.

Maybe you need to add some cheapies to your wardrobe, like Brut, and just bathe in it. Just kidding...

Where are you spraying? How much are you applying? I find in very cold weather spraying on skin that will be exposed to the elements doesn't help. Keep the application well under your clothes, get some on the fabric, use something that will project through. Gucci Pour Homme should work. As for heat that can be a little more troublesome. I find in the heat it's very easy to sweat a fragrance off. If you can apply it before going out and leave it long enough that it 'sticks' before you head out you may get better results, but in some weather you'll be sweating one-hundred percent of the time and this can be impossible.

What you described is what I recently called the "moveable feast" aspect to wearing frags in a new blog post. Basically, not only can your perception change but it's also often the case that you have tinker with the application. I suggest you spray on your shirt to see if that will hold the scent better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What you described is what I recently called the "moveable feast" aspect to wearing frags in a new blog post. Basically, not only can your perception change but it's also often the case that you have tinker with the application. I suggest you spray on your shirt to see if that will hold the scent better.
    Great info! Thanks! *looks for blog post*