Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Is this ultra butch or just butch or even boushay

I'm thinking about getting a bottle of this while the "brown cannister" version is still floating around, for reference if nothing else, but still, I'd like to get some wear out of it. The last time I ran into a tester of it was at least seven years ago, when the department stores in my city had half way decent men's fragrance counters. I can't remember too much about it except that it didn't smell very much like the women's RG, which I wore until they reformulated it into mush. I do remember the star anise note, and that the scent came over as generally "warm" but not overly spicy and definitely not a icky foody cupcake gourmand.

So - if I wear Capucci pour Homme and Pasha and Antaeus with relish and (I hope) aplomb, how do you think I'd like Rive Gauche Pour Homme? I just don't want to smell of that generic "men's cologne" vibe.

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Is this ultra butch or just butch or even boushay

I would say the best description for this is an old school, masculine barbershop scent. The anise is crisp and clean up top, not a sweet candy licorice smell at all. Does not smell generic to my nose. This one can be worn in a suit and tie at the office, or jeans and flannel with sleeves rolled up, chopping wood on the weekend. Grab a can of the classic red Barbasol, and you will have a very good idea of this scent.

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme - Is this ultra butch or just butch or even boushay

It is what it is - a wonderful scent.

I concur with previous posters. It is within the class of traditional fougeres, but it doesn't smell like the butch traditional examples like Drakkar Noir or Azzaro pour homme. Rather, it is extremely dry, clean, almost soapy, I'd say. It has dry spices, but it doesn't register as sweet or gourmand in the least to me (though, as usual, it could be a matter of individual perceptions).

In this sense, it is quite different from the other frags you mention, certainly at the opposite end from Antaeus. You'd like it if you like a solid, barbershop clean fragrance.

cacio

I never liked it much, finding it somewhat sharp to my nose. But my wife thinks it's great on me.
    Renato

Ultra clean cut rather than ultra butch.
    Azzaro does have something very much in common with it. (But RG is much cleaner sharper and spicier)

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Ultra clean cut rather than ultra butch.
    Great analogy. It is a terrific fragrance that is surprisingly versatile, as previous posters have mentioned.

I don't get the anise note as strongly as others seem to, nor have I smelled Barbasol to which to compare RG PH.

I can state that this fragrance is unmistakably masculine without having to shout it from the rooftops. A terrific, clean, inexpensive fragrance that every man should try.

There aren't many fragrances that work so perfectly with a suit and tie in a conservative environment, but RG is definitely one of them.

Very nice juice. Wish the longevity was a bit better.
    Indeed. Azzaro PH is probably the closest frag to it.
    Like 'em both, though

I agree that RG is a more refined, less vulgar Azzaro

Quote Originally Posted by mcurtiss View Post
    I agree that RG is a more refined, less vulgar Azzaro
    Well, I kinda agree with this, and I love them both, but I think I love the "vulgar" Azzaro a little more. ;-)

Kind of old school but not bad. This does have that barbershop vibe going on.

I wouldn't call Rive Gauche pour Homme ultra butch, but it is unmistakably masculine. Clean and fresh with a retro barbershop vibe.

I used to simply like it, but I find myself appreciating and enjoying it more over time.

Ultra butch in an ultra classy, ultra understated, clean barber-style, elegantly mature way.

It has a distinctive upfront male vibe about it, yes, but this only heightens (or is heightened by) its simple, yet suave tastefulness.

I agree with the Barbasol comment, but don't think of RG as overly "soapy." -And I am generally not a fan or soap accords. I also do not think anybody over 25 would call this "old man." It doesn't have that strong soap, musk, or powder of yore.