Code of Conduct

Default Building my wardrobe - Spring/Summer niche

Hello everyone, I've recently started looking around a bit to expand my fragrance collection - which consist of 3 bottles now - and reading up on this forum has helped quite a bit already to find inspiration for future purchases

I would like to build me a small, but solid collection. I've seen some of the monster collections that some people have on this forum, which is quite impressive to say the least, but it's something I don't desire.

So, to try to avoid this I've been doing a lot of sampling at stores to get an idea what I like I've smelled quite some designers by now, and it would be interesting to get my nose into some niche frags, so I can get a good rotation going for when spring arrives (I'll be gearing my collection towards spring/summer. For the remaining colder days I'll be using le male and l'eau d'issey). I'm planning on ordering some samples from the site first in fragrance (live in europe), and would be cool if you guys could give me some suggestions that are somewhat in line with my taste.

To give you an idea:

I like: DH, le male, YSL la nuit, SL Chergui, Allure edition blanche, boss bottled, TF tobacco vanille, D&G the one
    I don't like: A*men/rubbery, or soapy fragrances

In general, I'm looking for accessible, but can also be a bit more complex or non-linear, fragrances (I'm 26 myself, most of the time casually dressed). What I also find important for a fragrance is longevity and silage, where I expect a frag to last at least 4h on my skin (this has made me pass on good smelling frags like YSL l'homme and edition blanche).

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Building my wardrobe - Spring/Summer niche

Welcome!

Your likes seem to be mostly in the ambery/gourmand territory, which most people would consider wintery.

A material I like a lot for the summer (at least the sticky ones here in the southern US) is vetiver, which smells fresh and grassy, and usually lasts a long time. Examples that highlight different qualities of the material are Chanel Sycomore (woody) and Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (superfresh dry). Note that some vetiver renditions (not the two I mentioned) add soapy notes, which you say you don't like.

In different styles, you could try CDG2 man (incensy), an interesting, lemony incense that smells quite fresh. Or expensive Amouage Silver, a sort of rich eau de cologne centered on a rose note.

cacio

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Diptyque Eau Lente

Burberry London

I have seen both CDG2 and Amourage Silver in a local store closeby, never paid any attention to it, but will test it out, thanks! I have read up on frags with Vetiver in them, but these fragrences always seemed to be targetted towards a more mature or older audience, but I will check it out. Gourmands in general defnitely appeal to me, I've tried SL amber sultan in the past, which I found pleasant if I remember correctly!

CologneFan85

Try DG The One Sport for summer, and Creed Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    Put it on my to-test list, thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope my recommendations are not too belated. Anyway, some of the niche scents I'd consider to be suitable during spring and summer would be: ADP Colonia, Acqua di Genova Colonia, Creed GIT and OV, Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet and, during cooler and moister weather, but still relatively suitable with higher temperatures, La Martina Hombre and Knize Forest (but, in my opinion, the latter two more appropriate during spring and summer evenings, possibly also on semi-formal occasions).

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll second previous suggestions on vetivers and CDG2Man. Another option could be Sel Marin by Heeley. A vetiver-cedardwood combo with bergamot on top. Very easy to wear/like yet incredibly distinctive. Welcome.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

try bleecker street by bond no 9

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'll second previous suggestions on vetivers and CDG2Man. Another option could be Sel Marin by Heeley. A vetiver-cedardwood combo with bergamot on top. Very easy to wear/like yet incredibly distinctive. Welcome.
    I second Sel Marin by Heeley. My husband likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Hope my recommendations are not too belated. Anyway, some of the niche scents I'd consider to be suitable during spring and summer would be: ADP Colonia, Acqua di Genova Colonia, Creed GIT and OV, Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet and, during cooler and moister weather, but still relatively suitable with higher temperatures, La Martina Hombre and Knize Forest (but, in my opinion, the latter two more appropriate during spring and summer evenings, possibly also on semi-formal occasions).
    Quite exotic sounding names, I can check ADP Colonia in a shop nearby, I'll try to get samples for the rest...the Sniffmeister needs to get to work!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but does it smell anything like bulgari aqva marine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    try bleecker street by bond no 9
    The price of a bottle is quite steep, but I'm getting a sample of this from first in fragrance to check it out!