Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default when fragrances come in casual conversation

assuming whether or not people know about your hobby, what do you do?

me personally, i act like i know almost nothing about fragrances. i'll ask a question or two and then move on.

i'd end the conversation quickly because 99% of people only talk about fragrances for 30 seconds max.

Default Re: when fragrances come in casual conversation

Not a compelling topic for conversation. I state what I'm wearing if asked and move on.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, it's not a conversation to be started out of nowhere. if its brought up, i just say a sentence or two and then move on.

People regularly talk about perfume here. New releases, oud oils and so on.

for swap/sale:

Overcome By Fumes

Depending on context and if I actually know anything apropos, I may or may not engage.

I like to offer useful input if it's helpful, but have no vested interest in being a know-it-all.

I'd discuss it like any other topic.

Sound Scents

If the topic comes up I readily engage. I make no secret of my passion for fragrances around the office and elsewhere, and I see no reason for playing cloak and dagger in pretending I know nothing about them. People are going to think what they want and I really don't care.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

play dumb if it isn't their hobby as well. if it is i will fully engage in a discussion lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I'd discuss it like any other topic.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    assuming whether or not people know about your hobby, what do you do?

me personally, i act like i know almost nothing about fragrances. i'll ask a question or two and then move on.

i'd end the conversation quickly because 99% of people only talk about fragrances for 30 seconds max.
    Noir, you keep asking the same question over and over, each time phrased slightly differently, but the root of the question is always the same. Clearly, the issue of fragrances in your life causes you grief or frustration, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If there's an elephant in the room, that's what people are going to talk about. If you have a giant collection of knives hanging along a wall, the topic of knives is going to come up. If collecting knives makes you feel so uncomfortable that, OMG, you have to immediately change the topic when it comes up in conversation or pretend you know nothing about knives, perhaps hanging them on the wall does you more harm than good.

At some point, you really should try to figure out why the topic comes up so often around you, and why it makes you so uncomfortable. I'm going to take a wild guess: you still live at home with your parents and you have your perfume collection displayed on a dresser and/or shelves. Your parents and their friends see "that stuff" and wonder why can afford it all but can't afford your own place. The topic comes up a lot because they disapprove of your priorities.

For better or for worse, in other people's eyes, we are what we show them. If you don't like being judged for collecting stuffed animals, don't keep the stuffed animals on the bed. Find a place out of view to store them (this example brought to you by a woman I had a crush on in college until I saw her dorm room, half of which was filled with at least a hundred stuffed animals. Uhm... Yikes? To make matters worse, her roommate was very goth. You can imagine what the other half of the room looked like. Double yikes!)

For better or for worse, in other people's eyes, we are what we show them. Think about who you truly are and how you'd like people to see you. Show them that. If your love of fragrances is one of those things, show them and be proud to do so.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 22nd January 2013 at 10:43 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Yup.

Noir, you keep asking the same question over and over, each time phrased slightly differently, but the root of the question is always the same. Clearly, the issue of fragrances in your life causes you grief or frustration, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If there's an elephant in the room, that's what people are going to talk about. If you have a giant collection of knives hanging along a wall, the topic of knives is going to come up. If collecting knives makes you feel so uncomfortable that, OMG, you have to immediately the topic when it comes up in conversation or pretend you know nothing about knives, perhaps hanging them on the wall does you more harm than good.

At some point, you really should try to figure out why the topic comes up so often around you, and why it makes you so uncomfortable. I'm going to take a wild guess: you still live at home with your parents and you have your perfume collection displayed on a dresser and/or shelves. Your parents and their friends see "that stuff" and wonder why can afford it all but can't afford your own place. The topic comes up a lot because they disapprove of your priorities.

For better or for worse, in other people's eyes, we are what we show them. If you don't like being judged for collecting stuffed animals, don't keep the stuffed animals on the bed. Find a place out of view to store them (this example brought to you by a woman I had a crush on in college until I saw her dorm room, half of which was filled with at least a hundred stuffed animals. Uhm... Yikes? To make matters worse, her roommate was very goth. You can imagine what the other half of the room looked like. Double yikes!)

For better or for worse, in other people's eyes, we are what we show them. Think about who you truly are and how you'd like people to see you. Show them that. If your love of fragrances is one of those things, show them and be proud to do so.
    I agree. Well said.

Basenotes Member

My husband outs me as a 'perfume addict' to anyone who will listen - the op-shop lady, the neighbours, all his friends. At one stage he freaked out about how much it cost and he told people how much I spent. To his surprise people are interested. Now they sniff me and want to know what I'm wearing, what's good and what I'm giving away.

Furthermore I like asking people about what they like to wear or not, and why. Who doesn't like talking about their experiences?
    It's a great way to connect and hear people's stories. Many a time my poor husband has had to turn away, from a conversation he started, in disgust. Ha ha.

If the topic comes up I readily engage. I make no secret of my passion for fragrances around the office and elsewhere, and I see no reason for playing cloak and dagger in pretending I know nothing about them. People are going to think what they want and I really don't care.
    I'm inclined to agree with this. However as I already know how I feel about these things generally when the topic does come up I want to know other peoples opinions, what they wear or used to wear, and try to keep things positive. It's one place I do bite my tongue. I don't want to be a critic, tell someone their favourite perfume is crap, etc. Thankfully I find very, very few fragrances arn't at least pleasant to smell.

I like when people I know ask me for recommendations, though it can be a tricky subject.

Banned
    Blog Entries

LBI, your attempt at internet psychology is amusing. Fragrance doesn't cause me any grief or frustration. I have no problem letting anyone know I'm passionate about it. I just don't initiate conversations about them.

I'm inclined to agree with this. However as I already know how I feel about these things generally when the topic does come up I want to know other peoples opinions, what they wear or used to wear, and try to keep things positive. It's one place I do bite my tongue. I don't want to be a critic, tell someone their favourite perfume is crap, etc. Thankfully I find very, very few fragrances arn't at least pleasant to smell.

I like when people I know ask me for recommendations, though it can be a tricky subject.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's fine as long as you don't hog the conversation. I don't hide my hobby because I think it would please peoples wants. I just keep the conversation to the interest of both people. It's okay to talk about for a little bit, but if the other person isn't interested, it's disrespectful.

I knew people who are gun collectors and model train collectors. I liked having brief conversations about them, but if that person wanted to talk about them for many minutes at a time, I would not find that very inclusive. I would get bored and resentful fast.