Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The best basenotes reviewers ever!

Many do a great job but Jack Hunter and Alfarom are the names I find myself searching out when I am reading reviews.

I can go to almost any fragrance and find at least one really well-written and insightful review here. There are so many amazing reviewers and some of them are so prolific. That said, reading le muchoir de monsieur's reviews is what convinced me to join BN.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I appreciate some reviewers for their analytical description of notes, accords and transitions. I appreciate some for their descriptive/experiential reviews; articulating what a frag smells/wears like (more important to me). I appreciate some for their wit and prose, forming strong associations in my mind. I also appreciate the ultra-critical reviewers, seemingly hard to impress, as whatever impresses them seem to be worth a good look.

Both Basenotes and the frags reviewed here, are like the proverbial huge elephant, viewed exclusively from different angles by different persons, leading to different impressions of the same frag. One needs all the various perspectives to get the whole picture.

Kudos to all reviewers named here,and the many more un-named who have made their so-far-unthanked mark on me.

***Eegads! Cat's Pee...*** The first review comment that cracked me up so much, Wifey and Daughter thought i needed help .
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

the winners are:

Ericrico, a true friend and a source of constant inspiration
    Blood Orange a girl with a sure feeling for male scents
    Marais sharpened wit

also appreciate all reviewers except those who are overtly conceited!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Thumbs up Re: The best basenotes reviewers ever!

If I only had to pick one, it would be foetidus. Great writer, amazingly industrious and I hardly ever disagree with his nose. I could easily list 100 reviewers I absolutely love. I think we have the best reviewers in the world: this is probably the reason I never got to writing reviews.

9 years ago when I joined Basenotes I felt horrible about being completely average in something. Now I think it's fine. Maybe I should start writing reviews.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 17th January 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I, too, am truly humbled by even being mentioned...to share my passion is an honor.

I also want to say that I agree so wholeheartedly with what a great contributor on Basenotes, perfaddict, says here.

This is an incredible, thriving and fantastic open forum for all the different perspectives that we have...and share. The forum conversations, polls, off-topic threads, and more - also contribute immensely to making this a true "community" of people from all over the world who come to share our common passion of scent. It is so wonderful to be a part of 'this' and have my name mentioned by both people whom I consider true friends in life as well as great reviewers that I, myself, look up to immensely.

Those people whom I consider both great reviewers, but also passionate friends in the community -

Alfarom
    Darvant
    Naed Nitram
    Drseid
    Surfacing
    Mikeperez23
    The_Good_Life
    Hirch-Duckfinder
    Foetidus
    Dimitrios
    Diamondflame
    Monkeybars
    Scentemental
    Senore01
    Odysseusm
    Hednic
    Mr.Reasonable
    Petruccijc
    Sculpture of Soul
    Cacio
    David
    Shamu1
    Andrewthecologneguy
    AromiErotici
    Jenson
    Rosehavn
    Pollux

&

...many more dear friends and people here who provide inspiration and wisdom!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I appreciate some reviewers for their analytical description of notes, accords and transitions. I appreciate some for their descriptive/experiential reviews; articulating what a frag smells/wears like (more important to me). I appreciate some for their wit and prose, forming strong associations in my mind. I also appreciate the ultra-critical reviewers, seemingly hard to impress, as whatever impresses them seem to be worth a good look.

Both Basenotes and the frags reviewed here, are like the proverbial huge elephant, viewed exclusively from different angles by different persons, leading to different impressions of the same frag. One needs all the various perspectives to get the whole picture.

Kudos to all reviewers named here,and the many more un-named who have made their so-far-unthanked mark on me.
    Last edited by ericrico; 20th May 2014 at 07:26 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Maximum respect to:

Alfarom
    Darvant
    Off-Scenter
    Foetidus
    Diamondflame
    Sugandaraja
    Somerville Metro Man
    Drseid
    Pluran
    JaimeB
    Buzzlepuff
    Hirch-Duckfinder
    Kevin Guyer
    Petruccijc
    Brian Chambers
    Oh Hedgehog
    Pigeon Murderer
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I totally forgot orrisboy's contributions. His reviews are among my very favorite. He catches the feel and mood of the respective fragrances so fittingly and accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    It's a CRIME that PigeonMurderer hasn't been mentioned yet!

Agreed.
    I was considering editing my last post to mention him but didn't get round to it.

I follow in particular Foetidus, Blood Orange and Darvant. My favorite is anyway Darvant, so analytic but also moonshiny, reviewing indistinctly the most commercial designer fragrance or the rarest niche pearls.

Bumping this thread because I've been away for a while and came back to find an interesting thread here which is, however, marred IMHO by its lack of appreciation for female reviewers! Yes, we have some great male reviewers here, and I appreciate all of those mentioned above. But when I look up a scent, I'm not looking for scientific information (which many male reviewers possess in spades) so much as general impressions.

My time and money limit the number of decants and samples I can try, let alone the FBs resulting from them! So, as a woman who loves florals and floral/orientals, I appreciate reviews written by other women with similar tastes. I don't want to know which molecules the perfumer uses - I want to know what the overall impression was, which scents it reminded you of, where and when you'd wear it, and which notes are predominant. And that is information our many, talented female reviewers give us in their equally wonderful reviews. I don't want to mention names, as those I leave out may feel unappreciated, whereas I may just have temporarily forgotten their name but not their review.

And the above sentence strikes me as why this thread is so very male-oriented! It's competitive and potentially hurtful. I don't think a woman would have started this. But I do want the many women whose reviews I've loved and still refer to, and who've guided this newbie in her scent journey, to know I love and appreciate you, every single one. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    Bumping this thread because I've been away for a while and came back to find an interesting thread here which is, however, marred IMHO by its lack of appreciation for female reviewers! Yes, we have some great male reviewers here, and I appreciate all of those mentioned above. But when I look up a scent, I'm not looking for scientific information (which many male reviewers possess in spades) so much as general impressions.

My time and money limit the number of decants and samples I can try, let alone the FBs resulting from them! So, as a woman who loves florals and floral/orientals, I appreciate reviews written by other women with similar tastes. I don't want to know which molecules the perfumer uses - I want to know what the overall impression was, which scents it reminded you of, where and when you'd wear it, and which notes are predominant. And that is information our many, talented female reviewers give us in their equally wonderful reviews. I don't want to mention names, as those I leave out may feel unappreciated, whereas I may just have temporarily forgotten their name but not their review.

And the above sentence strikes me as why this thread is so very male-oriented! It's competitive and potentially hurtful. I don't think a woman would have started this. But I do want the many women whose reviews I've loved and still refer to, and who've guided this newbie in her scent journey, to know I love and appreciate you, every single one. Thank you.

I take your point about not needing to single out particular reviewers for praise.
    I think I speak for many guys here though when I say that female reviewers weren't mentioned much because the thread was posted in "Male Fragrance Discussion".

VintageVogue and purplebird are among BN best reviewers and very analytically so, but in general, my favorite reviewers are men I think. That's the way it is.

There are so many great reviews here on BN. That is what first drew me in. I don't think anyone has mentioned Le Mouchoir de Monsieur yet. His reviews arewonderful.

[B]Martinijo,[B] maybe it started out under Men's Fragrances, but it's now in the general discussion forum, so I did expect a more egalitarian list.
    Larimar, thanks for your comment - honesty is always great - and I know you appreciate some of the women's contributions, but I just feel surprised at the unbalanced nature of this thread in general. Of course, we all have our favourites, but I hoped that women would collect an equal number of admirers, whether from men or other women. Oh well. As long as people continue to post their reviews, we'll all get something we like, I guess.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i miss dollars and scents. i liked his reviews.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlebooth View Post
    These.

scentemental
    Pluran
    hirch_duckfinder
    Mario Justiniani
    +1 indeed

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i miss dollars and scents. i liked his reviews.

he was kicked out of this forum

for swap/sale:

[B]Martinijo,[B] maybe it started out under Men's Fragrances, but it's now in the general discussion forum, so I did expect a more egalitarian list.
    Larimar, thanks for your comment - honesty is always great - and I know you appreciate some of the women's contributions, but I just feel surprised at the unbalanced nature of this thread in general. Of course, we all have our favourites, but I hoped that women would collect an equal number of admirers, whether from men or other women. Oh well. As long as people continue to post their reviews, we'll all get something we like, I guess.
    I don't have a "General Discussion" visible anywhere on this website. This thread is still listed as Male Fragrance Discussion, at least on my laptop posting from UK. Am I missing something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I don't have a "General Discussion" visible anywhere on this website. This thread is still listed as Male Fragrance Discussion, at least on my laptop posting from UK. Am I missing something?
    lt is in the "Fragrance lndustry & General Fragrance Discussion" forum.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Yes, Martinijo, I don't know how your computer shows it, but it definitely says "Fragrance Industry and General Fragrance Discussion" on mine. Which is why I wondered at the apparently sexist bias. If it had been in the men's frag section, which I never read, I would not have known or cared!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    he was kicked out of this forum
    yes, it was unfortunate that he (redacted)

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    That is an awesome analogy.

But that said, I sometimes wish I lived next door to Foetidus, and could smell his already-sampled stuff.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Yes, Martinijo, I don't know how your computer shows it, but it definitely says "Fragrance Industry and General Fragrance Discussion" on mine. Which is why I wondered at the apparently sexist bias. If it had been in the men's frag section, which I never read, I would not have known or cared!
    OK Thanks a lot for that.
    I will start checking that. The men's ones getting kind of repetitive and, dare I say it, boring.
    On a different note, not wanting to be nosey but how did someone get banned from Basenotes?

On a different note, not wanting to be nosey but how did someone get banned from Basenotes?
    Think one way can be if one is seen as being too argumentative, stating one's political or religious views too overtly (esp if they are of the more conservative type, perhaps?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Think one way can be if one is seen as being too argumentative, stating one's political or religious views too overtly (esp if they are of the more conservative type, perhaps?).
    "More conservative type"
    That does sound rather unpleasant. (Though perhaps not with a small "c")

"More conservative type"
    That does sound rather unpleasant. (Though perhaps not with a small "c")
    Depends, I guess. Personally I quite enjoy hearing different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Depends, I guess. Personally I quite enjoy hearing different opinions.
    I enjoy different opinions as long as they aren't stupid and hate fuelled (Sun newspaper, the majority of media owned and steered by Rupert Murdoch) for that matter)
    This may have nothing whatsoever to do with anyone getting banned from here so I'll say no more.