Code of Conduct

Default Does More Projection Mean Less Longevity, or vice versa?

1) Does a perfume with good projection have shorter life on skin compared to another one with less projection?

I know that this is not always true because ,for example, a*men has amazing projection but it has amazing longevity too.

Is there a logical explanation about longevity vs projection?

2) We experience that perfumes last much longer when sprayed on clothes/fabric. Is it because they have weaker projection on them?

I sometimes find out that projection on clothes is not bad at all. How can it have great longevity and decent projection at the same time? Can it be explained by saying that our skin absorbs most of the perfume that we spray?

Because; (3-4 days of longevity + decent projection) vs (7-8 hours of longevity + the same projection) makes me think that our skin has something to do with it.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I made any mistake because of my not so good english.

Default Re: Does More Projection Mean Less Longevity, or vice versa?

I have always found that for me a fragrance with good longevity almost always has equally good projection.

I never spray on my clothes, so cannot give pointers on that. Only possible explanation to greater longevity on fabric will be that on your skin, the fragrance will evaporate fatser due to the body temp, while fabric don't have such as issue...

As for projection / longevity, varies by the fragrance and by brand as well. Guerlain's for all their wonderful frags have average to decent longevity but IMO good projection, on the other hand, more concentrated parfums like andy tauer's or nasomatto's have monster projection and atleast 8-10 hrs longevity.

Normally, strangth of fragrance as in EDC<EDT<EDP<Extract correlate most of the time to their projection and longevity as well, but not always the case...

Tend to agree with Hednic. Most scents with good longevity I am aware of go hand in hand with good projection and vice-versa, at least judging by what I have experienced so far.

Basenotes Member

I think that there are 3 elements to be considered:
    A) the number of "perfume" molecules available (ie. all the aromachemicals etc involved)
    B) the weight of the molecules (hence its evaporation speed and "buoyancy" while in the air)
    C) the "potency" of the molecules (ie. how many molecules need to hit your receptors for you to notice them).

If we keep A and C constant (ie. we always consider the same perfume and the same concentration) it's clear that longevity and projection must be at odds with each other - heavier molecules will last longer because they evaporate more slowly, but they also tend to remain close to the skin for the same reason. On the other hand, lighter molecules will have better projection but reduced longevity.
    What makes all the difference, then, are A and C: if you increase the number of molecules (ie. the concentration) of a given perfume, you'll certainly increase the longevity and probably the sillage as well (projection might be unaffected since heavy molecules will still travel shorter distances - for that, skin and ambient temperature might be more important). Better yet if you can increase C (which I think is what Aventus does): if you find an aromachemical that requires less molecules per volume of air to be detected, *all* your other measurements will improve - projection, sillage and longevity.
    I might be wrong but I think most of the research by the fragrance industry ("artisans" and very small niche houses excluded) is in the direction of improving C for a number of reasons - a lower volume of an ingredient costs less, of course, but is also less likely to trigger allergies etc, so that the formulation can be left alone by IFRA etc...

Pcgd explained very clearly.

As for clothes (or leather, hair, which also keep a perfume excellently) or paper, longevity is due to a combination of temperature (they are colder than skin) and characteristics of the material such as porosity and absorbing capacity (smooth surfaces let liquids evaporate faster). If you were to spray, say, on metal or really smooth plastic film, you'd get extremely little longevity. In a way, it's similar to checking what surfaces retain humidity and which one don't. Skin would be somewhere inbetween smooth fast drying materials and porous, absorbing ones.

I like to spray on my shirt too, since, as you say, I find it increases longevity quite a bit. It decreases projection not only because of the material, but also because I wear suits, so the smell is partly covered by the jacket.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have always found that for me a fragrance with good longevity almost always has equally good projection.
    Agreed.

I'm enlightened by your detailed explanations Thank you very much. I'd appreciate any other upcoming inputs as well.