Code of Conduct

Default Don't blink or it's gone, er, discounted

In the latest snail mail I got from Macy's was an insert for a Rihanna perfume. I cannot remember if it was Rebelle or Reb'l Fleur (is the latter supposed to suggest "Rebel Flower?" Perhaps it should smell like gunpowder. But I digress). I liked what I smelled from the paper. "Oh, a new frag from Rih ... I should check it out," I thought.

So I'm in Sam's Club yesterday and what should I espy but a 3.4 oz bottle of Rihanna's R<something> for $39.00. My first thought was this was the equivalent of a direct-to-DVD film. Not really, though. Basenotes lists both R<whatever> frags with a 2011 date. And I forgot that what Macy's promotes may not be the absolute latest releases.

Off to Google Shopper, where you can find Rebelle under $32 including shipping. Reb'l Fleur for a little more. These are from BigShopple.com (who?).

Macy's still wants $59 for all three Rihannas (including Nude).

Now I'm curious - how long will they keep making this stuff? And what is the Guinness record for shortest time from "just released" to "discontinued?"
    Last edited by Wheelman; 15th January 2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Don't blink or it's gone, er, discounted

There are a host of others that could be on that list. The fragrance game is sweet smelling but could be a short one without a good fragrance and effective promotion.

That seems to be the policy of a large number of Perfume producers. Launch a fragrance with a lot of publicity, spend a hell of a lot of money on marketing and promotion, recoup your investment and make a profit; then when sales start to slide, discontinue and start all over again. The quality of fragrance, and the development of a loyal following is considered an irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    That seems to be the policy of a large number of Perfume producers. Launch a fragrance with a lot of publicity, spend a hell of a lot of money on marketing and promotion, recoup your investment and make a profit; then when sales start to slide, discontinue and start all over again. The quality of fragrance, and the development of a loyal following is considered an irrelevance.
    Very true.

It's always worth a peak into your local Ross, TJMAXX or Marshalls. They OFTEN have several celeb scents on their discount racks along with many others that retailers are still pedaling as if they are the hot new thing to those people who buy fragrance impulsively based merely on the smell they smell while the perfume is still wet on their skin.

This is pretty common with many scents sold in major retail outlets like department stores. Most new releases will hit the discounters several months after they come. When I first started buying more scents I naively paid retail for a couple new releases, only to find them for half the cost not too long after.