Code of Conduct

Default New house launched: The Fragrance Kitchen

From Fashion Insight:

A new perfume house has just launched – TFK, The Fragrance Kitchen by Sheikh Majed Al-Sabah.

Based in Kuwait, this perfume house combines the tradition of Middle Eastern perfumery with the French expertise of Grasse, the perfume capital of the world, where scents are analysed, executed and bottled.

Fragrance is very important in Kuwait with families closely guarding secret perfume recipes which have been passed down from generation to generation. In the UK we may have grandma’s secret recipe for a pie, jam or cake, but in Kuwait it is much more glamorous with grandma’s secret recipe being for a fragrance.

And Sheikh Majed’s grandma was no exception as she taught her grandson how to create scents by mixing oils bought at the souk markets with precious ingredients sourced from India. Discovering he had a ‘nose’ for perfume, he was able to take it out of grandma’s kitchen and in to his own ‘Fragrance Kitchen’.

Although the fragrances are all unisex, some are more feminine and others more masculine.

Signature Collection
    Numbered rather than named, these 36 fragrances are meant for everyday use.

Exclusive Collection
    This line features more opulent scents which are narrative driven. Sheikh Majed explains that it isn’t just a fragrance but more of a story or diary evoking memories, journeys and personal experiences. The names vary from the straightforward ‘Kuwait’ and ‘Arabia’ to the tongue in cheek such as ‘Gone with the Smell’, ‘At Your Own Risk’ and Musky Ever After’.

Handmade Collection
    This is a collaboration with designers so the fragrance and its flacon become a work of art.

53 fragrances are in the directory

Default Re: New house launched: The Fragrance Kitchen

36 in one collection?! Can't say I have high hopes for these... :')

While I have similar doubts about quality for such an en masse release, I'm happy to see somewhat more whimsical creations coming out of the Arab world. Most of the Arabic lines I've seen take themselves dreadfully seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    While I have similar doubts about quality for such an en masse release, I'm happy to see somewhat more whimsical creations coming out of the Arab world. Most of the Arabic lines I've seen take themselves dreadfully seriously.
    True that. And looking at the notes they seem to really try for a blend of Middle Eastern flavour and a more commercial taste. Now, who knows if they succeeded. Can a member in Kuwait stop by the shop and give them a sniff?
    Last edited by furrypine; 9th September 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Sound Scents

I suppose it remains to be seen (or sniffed) as to whether these are any good, but like forfreddie I have pretty low expectations here...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Eat your heart out, Boadicea The Victorious!

I don't think this is some half ass operation. Sheikh Majed is incredibly rich ( part of the Kuwait Royal Family), he owns a bunch of luxury stores and has a slew of other ventures. His website for his fragrance line is very professional. I have high hopes!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...004184,00.html

TFK is about to be opened next week in Milano at LaRinascente ground floor Piazza Duomo, so who's in Milano should go and get that snif at the shop. For those who do not know, Majed Al-Sabah was the creator of "Arabian Wood" Tom Ford Private Collection one of his best selling fragrances. TFK Concept is also to have every month a New Fragrance Launch of Exclusive Line that has a higher oil concentration, so we all know what it means.

The website could be designed better. I mean, who's going to scroll through all 36 fragrances in the Signature Line? The bottles are practically the same, so why not list the notes in either a list or grid format?

When someone releases this many frags at once, I suppose there could be some good ones. Odds are that there are some, with that many to choose from.

But who's going to have the time, energy or opportunity to ferret them out ?

This type of strategy always seems misguided to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    When someone releases this many frags at once, I suppose there could be some good ones. Odds are that there are some, with that many to choose from.

But who's going to have the time, energy or opportunity to ferret them out ?

This type of strategy always seems misguided to me.
    Agreed!

Yes, honestly even if I felt I had thirty-six great perfumes on my hands, I'd release at no more than two or three a year ( at the most ) to give them proper exposure.

I did read an interview during London launch that they have the plan to launch a new fragrance every month & to do a re-packaging every year for the entire line !!!!
    honestly I don't get ?!
    & I don't get the 'TFK ambassadors' thing as well ?!

& By the way No.7 has been out of stock & it will be discontinued & re-formulated as 'No.7 Remix' !

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post

& By the way No.7 has been out of stock & it will be discontinued & re-formulated as 'No.7 Remix' !
    With 54 frags released in less than a year, one can imagine them saying "Does anyone remember where we put the formula for #7 ? "

I guess part of the issue for me is that when an outfit is churning out fragrances this rapidly, it makes it mentally difficult to conceive of any of them being particularly "special and precious".

Which is sort of how people like to think of such things, I believe.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 16th January 2013 at 08:12 PM.