Code of Conduct

Default Displaying your collections....

Hi All,

I am at a point where having all my fragrances sat on top of my dresser isn't going to work anymore, as such I exploring other options.

Glass cabinets, curios, and fridges seem to be the logical choices to explore. I was wondering what methods you have chosen for your own collections, how they worked out, and if it worked out what were the details on the product you chose. Brand, price, etc.

There are plenty of cheap options for all three, but I am looking for a good value for money, not necessarily the cheapest to store my bottles.

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Displaying your collections....

Just check through the many pages of "Post a picture of your scents"

Many will tell you not to display in a glass case due to light, so you might look for a solid cabinet.

I just place mine on shelves away from the sunlight but convenient and on display in their boxes.

I put mine in plastic storage boxes. I wish I could display them, but it's not worth the risk
    Last edited by QWERTYOP; 15th January 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Just check through the many pages of "Post a picture of your scents"

Many will tell you not to display in a glass case due to light, so you might look for a solid cabinet.
    Thank you Sir. I have poured through those threads many times and saw alot of interesting options, I am hoping to also get some specific recommendations.

I'm pretty much between a wood cabinet with glass doors or a glass curio , my bedroom has the shades drawn most of the time so too much light isn't the biggest concern. I would like to avoid a low quality item.

Have this nightmare of coming home from work to a broken shelf a several destroyed bottles of niche.
    Last edited by Ulsterman; 15th January 2013 at 09:42 PM.

I have a four level glass cabinet tower. I have a little over 100 frags and it's still storing all of them comfortably. In a few months I will probably need another one. The past year I started keeping all my frags in their boxes, so this takes up a bit more room than just placing them in without the boxes.

I used to display all of my bottles when I just first started. Then, I learned that light and heat could affect them negatively. Since then, I just keep them in their respective boxes and store them in my dark and cool small walk-in closet.

I simply keep them in plastic drawers in my closet, but that's not really a way to display them, but just to store them.
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...006900&N=72540
    cacio

Overcome By Fumes

I don't display. I have wooden armoir which has shelves upon which the boxes and bottles rest, and I generally leave the doors closed.

I simply keep mine in an unused dresser drawer, nothing fancy.

I go through mine so slowly that I keep them in one of three places.

- current rotation: in a cabinet away from light.
    - not in current rotation: in a box in a closet. Easily accessible.
    - the snoopworthy: No, no no, I'm not talking about izzle dizzle fo shmizzle. I'm talking about friends or especially DATES who snoop in the bathroom cabinet. I've mentioned this before, but for anyone reading this who happens to be single, I think it's worth repeating. DATES SNOOP. They just frigging do. If you plan on bringing a date back to your place, odds are high that your date may peek in the medicine cabinet during a trip to the restroom. I have a few friends who not only do this, they swear by it. A friend once told me she can learn a lot about a guy by peeking in his medicine cabinet, and she rattled off a list of things she'd found, one of which was pills to control an STD. OHS NOES. My favorite snooping story though was when a friend told me about the time she opened a guy's medicine cabinet and a glass shelf collapsed. OHS DOUBLE NOES!

I think snooping is rude. I also think it doesn't matter what I think since people are going to do it anyway. Soooooo... if a date is going to go fishin' in the medicine cabinet, why not provide some bait? Give them something marvelous to find. If you snooped in my medicine cabinet today, you'd find a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme II and L'Air du Desert Marocain, each of which practically DARES one to sniff.

Also: A tip that should be obvious if you've read this far. Go to your bathroom. Seriously, GO. Look in your medicine cabinet. If you wouldn't want a date to see it, don't store it there.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

I picked up a nice 4.3 cu ft wine cooler over the holidays to keep mine in. Keeps them in the dark at a nice 55* temp.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I picked up a nice 4.3 cu ft wine cooler over the holidays to keep mine in. Keeps them in the dark at a nice 55* temp.
    Would you mind sharing the make and model.

Mine are stored in a walk-in basement vault with controlled light and temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If you snooped in my medicine cabinet today, you'd find a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme II and L'Air du Desert Marocain, each of which practically DARES one to sniff.
    Just wanted to mention that the bathroom is one of the worst places you could possibly store fragrances; the fluctuations in heat from the shower, heat lamp, etc. do a number on fragrances (or so I have heard/read).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    Would you mind sharing the make and model.
    Not at all, It was on sales for $348.00 plus $50 mail-in rebate. I had a friend make tempered glass shelves for it.

Wine Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the bathroom is one of the worst places you could possibly store fragrances; the fluctuations in heat from the shower, heat lamp, etc. do a number on fragrances (or so I have heard/read).
    Good point!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Mine are stored in a walk-in basement vault with controlled light and temperature.
    Is that a fancy way of saying PLEASURE DUNGEON? ...?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

i just keep bottles in random order on my bookshelf.

I just recently got small, grid shaped shelves from Target for under $20 and mounted it on the wall. It looks pretty nice and I like having my bottles all neat and at eye level. It's not fancy, but I like it

I have a huge chest/dresser that i've owned for 20+ years. the upper half is a big cabinet with doors that swing open, the lower is drawers i use for shirts and whatnot. The chest portion is all of my perfumes i wear presently. Nice and dark, and cool. My house never goes above 70-71 degress (i cant stand it).

I have frags i have personally purchased more than 15 years ago that still smell fresh as new. Unfortunately, not everyone takes as much care as we do. I've purchased a couple bottles of 10 year old frags from other people that were totally flat.

in the door of the fridge

I was never into displaying them. Mine sit in my closet, in a few shelves that I built.
    If I were to display them, I would set them up on top of my nightstand and other flat surfaces.

I am currently working on a custom perfume cabinet with two builders. I drafted the design over the past year and we will be producing the prototype within a month. The materials will be made from curley maple. The maple is being supplied from the suppliers of Gibson and Paul Reed Smith guitars, so the grain should be pretty awesome as its the same stock as your flame top Les Pauls.

Look at this

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...=1#post2344677

Or this, which I believe has to be the ultimate Gangster collection display. Stolen pic from a BN member here http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...=1#post2497969

I have a book shelf in the corner of my room that would now be more appropriately called my fragrance shelf as there are only a couple books remaining on the bottom shelf. My collection, including shower gels, occupies the other four and a half shelves at this point.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Most of mine are currently in a bookshelf that is mainly used for clothing and toiletries(?). However, actually tomorrow (Wednesday) a curio cabinet order might arrive that I ordered for the main purpose of storing fragrances, .

The fleece blanket/throw and window tint have already arrived that I'm going to add as well, to help minimize light/uv from getting to frags.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/sterli...abinet/s152377

Totally in love with this cabinet from Crate and Barrel, but damn is it expensive.

I used to keep them all on a dresser, but found that most women who ended up seeing them thought it was weird that I had so many. My current collection is about thirty bottles.

Now I keep about five on my dresser -- my four "basic rotations" (Neroli Portofino, GIT, MI, Bulgari Blu) and one other. If I want a fragrance for a date or a special occasion, I go to a spare closet, where the others are kept in boxes. Not particularly impressive, but it shields them from light and heat.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Go to your bathroom. Seriously, GO. Look in your medicine cabinet. If you wouldn't want a date to see it, don't store it there.
    Or do the opposite. Load it up with condoms, boxes upon boxes of condoms, in all the rest of the drawers too. And don't forget the sex lube. Lots & lots of sex lube, many different kinds.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

I think snooping is rude. ...
    It is.

If someone really can't resist displaying his perfume bottles, I'd recommend a custom cabinet with gallery/museum glass.