Code of Conduct

Default Male fragrance, which vetiver should i choose?

Sometime ago i bought mailizia uomo and i very much liked vetiver smell.
    Now i would like something better.
    I am 33 old year, but i look like 23 (un-(?) - fortunately).
    Often wearing suit.
    Classical, shy.

I would like this vetiver fragrance to be long lasting, give me more confidence (or create such aura) and be liked by women.
    I am thinking between:
    1.Lubin le vetiver
    2.Guerlain vetiver
    3.Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Help me please.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Male fragrance, which vetiver should i choose?

I'm not the most familiar with vetiver, so it's hard for me to compare those three. Have you sampled them though?

In the place where i live i dont have access to samples, and if i would order it from abroad it would take very long with big cost.

All of those are very nice scents. At your age I'd go for the Tom Ford.

GUERLAIN. As it should be for anyone who would like to wear a real, proper, great, perfect, timeless vetiver!
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Chanel Sycomore
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Last edited by pluran; 8th April 2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Yes, ELDO Fat Electrician is nice. But you want to try it.
    I recently bought Mona di Orio Vetyver and after some initial doubts (bought it on the fly), I'm really happy. It is definitely a suit-scent. But you may want to try before you buy.

The above two will definitely set you more apart than Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, which is a very nice summery vetiver. But rather on the safe side. My wife likes it though, more than the above two. So it depends on what is the most important for you.

Nothing wrong with trying the different ones on your arms and go ask around with the girls you know (or even don't know). Girls love to give opinions, afaik.

I'd go with the Guerlain Vetiver.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

TF Grey Vetiver gets two enthusiastic thumps up as this is a modern take on a classic that is extra ordinarily blended (made).,,voila a MasterPiece...Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 8th April 2014 at 02:49 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Grey Vetiver is my recommendation. Other possible choices, so far not mentioned: Lanvin Vetiver, Creed OV, Etro Vetiver and Chopars Noble Vetiver.

TF Grey Vetiver

So many good vetivers. All the three you mention are good. In the three, I think the Lubin has an edge because it has an interesting salty note.

Among other vetivers (and there are many), I'd single out Chanel Sycomore (if you want something woody) or Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (if you want the freshest one around).

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

Of those three only, if you like citrusy scents then Guerlain is great. lots of lime/bergamot on the top with a citrusy vetiver.

TF grey vetiver smells like horseradish/cocktail sauce to me. Every time I smell it that's where my brain goes so it is ruined for me.

Atellier vetiver fatale is a light smoky vetiver. Terre d' Hermes is a cedary/woody vetiver. Love both of them.

rick

Of those 3, definitely Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I don't know that the ladies like the classic and strong vetivers, do they? I know I don't.

If you want a more contemporary vetiver that's not overly strong, but still has the definite vetiver scent, I'd go with Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company.

If you're looking for a tamed down vetiver that you can wear in any situation, I'd go with Creed's Original Vetiver. Neither is cheap, but both are very good.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

All of them.

Kenzo Homme Boisee

Definitely Grey Vetiver of the three you have listed. I like Comme des Garcons Vettiveru as well, great bang for your buck.

I own and enjoy Grey Vetiver. It's clean, dry and 'expensive' smelling. My favorite by far...

Basenotes Plus

Sycamore was my SOTD, and my favorite of the genre that I have tried.

Thanks all.
    I am "little" more confused now than before.
    But its good to know that there is so many vetiver fragrances.

Which one of those fragrances is good for all seasons, and long lasting even after small application?

Quote Originally Posted by zanakan View Post
    Thanks all.

Which one of those fragrances is good for all seasons, and long lasting even after small application?
    'Tis a perennial Basenotes feature that asking which is best of A, B and C will get you replies of 'D, E, F and G. And H'. It's all part of the learning curve

I still recommend Grey Vetiver for your criteria.

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks all.

Of the three- grey vetiver will probably be the best for longevity with a minimum of sprays.

rick

Your top two are excellent choices. I am not so keen on the Grey, but have worn it out.

If you spot LT Piver's Vetiver -- grab a bottle

I believe you won't be disappointed with three you chose. I myself have fallen in love with Creed's Original Vetiver and can't stop wearing it to work at the moment. Clean refreshing and a definite compliment getter.

Creed Original Vetiver or Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

The TF would get my vote. It may be heresy on this forum but I find the Guerlain too soapy, sweet and safe. If you have access to any other houses, ELdO's Fat Electrician would be one to try.

Grey vetiver is sweeter while Guerlain has more of a fresh earthy smell.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I own one vetiver and it's the Guerlain.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver fits the bill perfectly!

After testing tom ford grey vetiver, guerlain vetiver, guerlain vetiver extreme, creed original vetiver and lubin le vetiver, my choice - lubin le vetiver. i Bought it and i am happy. thanks.

After testing tom ford grey vetiver, guerlain vetiver, guerlain vetiver extreme, creed original vetiver and lubin le vetiver, my choice - lubin le vetiver. i Bought it and i am happy. thanks.
    I know it's not on your list and you already picked one, but another fantastic vetiver to check out is Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company.

i tested sel de vetiver - to yellow for me, i mean i see this smell as very yellow, high, salty without any deepness and sweetness, more woman scent, since it unisex it turns into woman scent on my pale dry skin.

Sometime ago i bought mailizia uomo and i very much liked vetiver smell.
    Now i would like something better.
    I am 33 old year, but i look like 23 (un-(?) - fortunately).
    Often wearing suit.
    Classical, shy.

I would like this vetiver fragrance to be long lasting, give me more confidence (or create such aura) and be liked by women.
    I am thinking between:
    1.Lubin le vetiver
    2.Guerlain vetiver
    3.Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Help me please.
    Thanks.
    Hello!-I will advice you to get the Guerlain after your Mirato MUV, and will let you know why:
    1) is not as sweet as Lubin (so won't be so close to your EDT) nor as soft/gentle as TF's (so won't be much more expensive nor close to the one you're using up to now);
    2) is perfect for the office IMHO, and a great fragrance to start with if you like vetiver as first "quality" one.
    3) noone can speak for women in general, but hey any lady with good taste will love GV.

Just for the future: if you keep liking vetiver, try some darker ones like Encre Noire (Lalique), Hornero (Fueguia), and some "barber shop" alike let's say Vetyver (Occitane), Vetiver (Creed)-don't confuse the last with Original Vetiver (Creed also) which is probably the cleanest vetiver ever, including TF, a really comforting one.

Enjoy!
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

i tested sel de vetiver - to yellow for me, i mean i see this smell as very yellow, high, salty without any deepness and sweetness, more woman scent, since it unisex it turns into woman scent on my pale dry skin.
    I have to agree with you on this one (therefore I haven't adviced this one)-I like it on my pale skin (girl here).
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtue&Sin View Post
    Hello!-I will advice you to get the Guerlain after your Mirato MUV, and will let you know why:
    1) is not as sweet as Lubin (so won't be so close to your EDT) nor as soft/gentle as TF's (so won't be much more expensive nor close to the one you're using up to now);
    2) is perfect for the office IMHO, and a great fragrance to start with if you like vetiver as first "quality" one.
    3) noone can speak for women in general, but hey any lady with good taste will love GV.

Just for the future: if you keep liking vetiver, try some darker ones like Encre Noire (Lalique), Hornero (Fueguia), and some "barber shop" alike let's say Vetyver (Occitane), Vetiver (Creed)-don't confuse the last with Original Vetiver (Creed also) which is probably the cleanest vetiver ever, including TF, a really comforting one.

Enjoy!
    Thanks, I like it that you are a girl.
    I tested guerlain vetiver and vetiver extreme, also creed original vetiver, and nothing was as good as lubin, i very much like this smokey vetiver so i am staying with it for now. I know that i wont buy tom ford gv cause its to spicy for me. My sking has tendency to extract spiciness from perfumes and absorb any deep sweetness, transforming it into hard to like scent. But lubin seems to love my skin.

Hi , I am new on here,I just bought Guerlain vetiver extreme and wondering if anyone has any comments about this.I cant really get the fragrance from my skin and nobody else seems to notice it .I sprayed quite a bit to see but still no projection .

Tom Ford.