Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default fresco by ilum deam (an aventus clone?)

UPDATE: wow over 267 replies. i've made 249 threads here on basenotes and this one managed to topple all of them (by far), with my average thread getting 10 to 50 replies.
    i knew aventus would be the culprit.

i've had a lot of people talking to me about this one. at first i thought it was just a shill, but more and more people actually convinced me that it could be possible.

with all of the popularity that creed aventus has, at some point i knew somebody would clone it. and it goes for $50 for a 100ml bottle.

a lot of people have been saying this is very very close to aventus, but i've also seen a lot of cases where people say two things smell exactly alike and they don't smell alike at all.

how many people on here have tried it?

how's the projection and longevity?

and most important: the drydown. a lot of fragrances smell like niche clones at opening but then become generic at drydown. is this an exception?

i expect to see more hype on this fragrance this year, and i might blind buy it, but for now i'm going to wait and see.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 23rd January 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: fresco by ilum deam (an aventus clone?)

A lot on Ebay going for $27 for 100ml which I personally feel is about right for this US made scent. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140906299431

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    A lot on Ebay going for $27 for 100ml which I personally feel is about right for this US made scent.
    made in america! a true patriots scent!!!

I watched CoachRob's review on youtube and bought a bottle for $26. I figured why not try it out

ETA:
    http://youtu.be/3uHYeJduBuw

I just received my bottle today Noirdrakkar and it smells VERY close to Aventus. This is not an imitation or something that smells similar. This is a straight up clone of Aventus. Gotta give credit to a YouTube reviewer named CoachRob619. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of this and subscribe to his channel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

how's the drydown?

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    how's the drydown?
    It's been 4 hours now and it still smells just like Aventus. It's linear, but what everyone loves about Aventus is in the opening and that is what you get all the way through this fragrance.

Dependent

Looks like the drydown has no birch tar which is what makes Aventus smokey. I can't stand birch tar so maybe I'll try this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I just received my bottle today Noirdrakkar and it smells VERY close to Aventus. This is not an imitation or something that smells similar. This is a straight up clone of Aventus. Gotta give credit to a YouTube reviewer named CoachRob619. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of this and subscribe to his channel.

I've been checking out CoachRob619 for a while on YouTube. That cat tells it like it is. I ordered a bottle of this also. Enjoy man!

Top: PINEAPPLE, BLACK CURRANT, LEMON
    Mid: ROSE, JASMINE, PATCHOULI
    Base: AMBER, OAK MOSS, MUSK, WOODY NOTES

Looking at the notes, I can definitely see how this could smell like Aventus. For $25 might be worth a shot.

.....Here we go. I'll report back next week.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

CologneFan85

HMMMM I really need to check this out.

While I realize the top notes are an Aventus clone, I'm curious to know where the scent goes over time. How many hours do you get from it? What does it dry down to? Without the birch tar, it sounds more like it would be an Aventus Lite, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I just have trouble imagining Aventus without the Creed base. That's what keeps Aventus from being just fruit water.

I envy you New Yorkers! I wish I could walk into a shop and try this. I'm curious enough that I may have to seek out a sample.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    While I realize the top notes are an Aventus clone, I'm curious to know where the scent goes over time. How many hours do you get from it? What does it dry down to? Without the birch tar, it sounds more like it would be an Aventus Lite, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I just have trouble imagining Aventus without the Creed base. That's what keeps Aventus from being just fruit water.

I envy you New Yorkers! I wish I could walk into a shop and try this. I'm curious enough that I may have to seek out a sample.
    True

It's going on 6 1/2 hours and I can still smell it. I always perceived the smokiness as more of a patchouli/leather mix. Yes, it smells just like the Aventus dry down.

That's really impressive. I mean, that's REALLY impressive.

I'm tempted to order a bottle
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned
    Blog Entries

you can get a 2ml sample for $2 on the ilum dean website, which i did purchase.

if i really like the sample, i'll buy a full bottle, but i am skeptical.

i'd really hate to see a mass sell-off next week if everyone realizes that it's nowhere near Aventus.

..I just ordered from ebay yesterday after seeing coachrob's video. 27+shipping from drscent. will update when i have it. But i am excited

Which Aventus batch does this emulate?

Snagged it. Why not. I throw more away on stupid basketball bets.

Sound Scents

I went the $2.00 sample route like noirdrakkar as I don't care for Aventus and can only hope that this is a superior fragrance. If it is indeed an near or exact clone then I am only out $2.00.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I bought the 100ml bottle for $30 shipped on eBay. The notes pyramid looks promising as it's very similar to Aventus. If it sucks, oh well, I'll have a scent to keep in my gym bag.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

you can get a 2ml sample for $2 on the ilum dean website, which i did purchase.

if i really like the sample, i'll buy a full bottle, but i am skeptical.

i'd really hate to see a mass sell-off next week if everyone realizes that it's nowhere near Aventus.
    Come on, friend. It's 30 bucks. There are 5ml samples that cost more. Take the plunge!!!

If it smells good, those people would be idiots.

What matters most isn't whether it's an exact clone. How can there be an exact clone of a scent that experienced so much variance between batches? My sample of Aventus was the famous A42B10K04 smoke heavy batch. The bottle I bought smells very different than that - but it smells great, and that's what matters.

We're talking about perfume. What matters is how it smells and how it wears. Sure, it'd be interesting to see how close this scent comes to being an Aventus clone, but what really matters is: How does it smell? How does it wear?

Even if it isn't a perfect match for Aventus, if it doesn't smell cheap, I won't be surprised at all if Fresco is a excellent.

Interesting. For those who have tried it, what do you think of the quality of the ingredients compared to aventus?

thinking of order a bottle. need more reviewers!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    .....Here we go. I'll report back next week.
    Looking forward to hearing your experienced opinion.

Placed my order last night! I'll test it to my bottle of Aventus upon arrival next week and follow up.

Placed my order too. Damnit lol
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I ordered a sample too. At $2, I couldn't resist. I'm not expecting it to smell identical to my bottle of Aventus, but I won't be surprised at all if it turns out to be really good. It'll be fun to try them out side by side.

Dependent

it's so funny to me how few youtube reviews say anything about the ingredients/accords/notes. most of those clowns have no nose. instead they talk about obvious things like potency/projection/longevity and vague BS subjective stuff like "season" and "time of day." that "info" is nearly useless to me when picking a fragrance.

however, JiveHippo's youtube reviewer did mention just enough to get me interested. i can't stand the "smokey" (birch tar) part of Aventus, and don't like vanilla, but I did find the top notes interesting. that review states no leather or vanilla which piqued my curiosity. i ordered a sample, what the hey.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 16th January 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    it's so funny to me how few youtube reviews say anything about the ingredients/accords/notes. most of those clowns have no nose. instead they talk about obvious things like potency/projection/longevity and vague BS subjective stuff like "season" and "time of day." that "info" is nearly useless to me when picking a fragrance.

however, JiveHippo's youtube reviewer did mention just enough to get me interested. i can't stand the "smokey" (birch tar) part of Aventus, and don't like vanilla, but I did find the top notes interesting. that review states no leather or vanilla which piqued my curiosity. i ordered a sample, what the hey.
    I don't get any vanilla in the base but it does have the dark vibe that I believe is a combination of the leather and patchouli. I'm not sure what birch tar smells like so I can't vouch for that, but it is a bit smokey. Pretty much what you smell in the first 5 minutes is what your going to smell for the entire life of the fragrance. This is basically Aventus for a warmer climate. It's a winner for me because it's so humid where I live that Aventus is just way too potent if you going to be outside for any amount of time.
    Last edited by silentrich; 17th January 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i really like vanilla, a lot. but when its used in small bursts, not when its used as a crutch for turning a bland fragrance into a gourmand.

i detect the vanilla in aventus. its subtle, it's slight, but it's there and it adds A LOT to the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Interesting. For those who have tried it, what do you think of the quality of the ingredients compared to aventus?
    One's an EdP and one's an EdT. Aventus is of course much stronger. In Aventus almost every note is "in your face", especially the pineapple. Fresco is a normal EdT in the way it projects. If your comparing pineapples to pineapples it's not as strong in Fresco, but it smells very similar to the Aventus pineapple and the rest of the notes smell very similar to the other notes in Aventus.

Dependent

Thanks for the warnings rich. 2 bucks incl shipping is a damn good price for any 2ml sample.

i really like vanilla, a lot. but when its used in small bursts, not when its used as a crutch for turning a bland fragrance into a gourmand.

i detect the vanilla in aventus. its subtle, it's slight, but it's there and it adds A LOT to the fragrance.
    Which batch do you have? I don't detect any vanilla in mine, but that's probably because Aventus is a scent that I've never really made an effort to pick apart, notes-wise. I should though, just for the fun of it.

I wish I knew people who had different batches. I'd love to compare them side by side. I wish my batch had just a bit more smoke. Oh, I adore that smoke.

I get the feeling Fresco won't have the smoke, among other differences. One of the youtubers above made a comment about it being more of a summer scent, and that's what I'm expecting too. I wonder how long it'll take to get the sample. A week or so? Patience, patience...

...god, sampling is so much fun.

Anyway... it'll be interesting to see what Ilum Deam does next. If they're just going to clone scents, please please please let the next be an Amouage! I love Amouage, but their scents are such bankbreakers. On the other hand, if Ilum Deam is going to be more than just a high-end cloner, I'd love to see them develop Fresco as a line, perhaps with a darker version for 2013. I've always thought that Aventus could easily serve as a base for an entire line, and that's not something Creed would do.

Ok, pulled the trigger. For $30 why not? Sounds close enough.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Just wondering: Is "Ilum Dean" a Latin phrase? Does it mean anything? I visited their website, and noted two things: (1) Much content is missing, with placeholder when you click on some links (2) "Fresco" seems to be their one and only product (I was expecting them to sell other stuff too, like clothing or other personal care items).

Dependent

Anyway... it'll be interesting to see what Ilum Deam does next. If they're just going to clone scents, please please please let the next be an Amouage! I love Amouage, but their scents are such bankbreakers.
    Not likely. One of the hallmarks of Amouage is their heavy use of very expensive naturals, like Mysore sandalwood. Very tough to replicate that type of composition more cheaply.

Just placed an order based on Coachrob's review. Can't go wrong for 30 bucks.

Goddamnit! It's cold outside and now I have to go and get my credit card out of my car! Thanks guys! :-P

now that its affordable i hope every one gives their aqua di gio a rest and get this.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Ok, pulled the trigger. For $30 why not? Sounds close enough.
    Me too - I couldn't resist!
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque
    Carbone de Balmain
    L'Essence de Cerruti
    Zino Davidoff
    Essenza de Zegna
    Mugler Cologne
    Kouros Tattoo
    Insense' Givenchy
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Stayclose View Post
    now that its affordable i hope every one gives their aqua di gio a rest and get this.
    Never!

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Here's another video on this.

This is gonna be a hype monster... I can feel it already...

Quote Originally Posted by protector View Post
    Just wondering: Is "Ilum Dean" a Latin phrase? Does it mean anything? I visited their website, and noted two things: (1) Much content is missing, with placeholder when you click on some links (2) "Fresco" seems to be their one and only product (I was expecting them to sell other stuff too, like clothing or other personal care items).
    Lol, I just checked their website.

"Ilum Dean, is a new fashion house in New York" riiiiight...except they don't appear to sell any clothes or accessories, and seem to want to thrive off selling a cologne that smells like Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Lol, I just checked their website.

"Ilum Dean, is a new fashion house in New York" riiiiight...except they don't appear to sell any clothes or accessories, and seem to want to thrive off selling a cologne that smells like Aventus.
    I'm down for a company based on making high quality, cheap fragrance knockoffs. Assuming this is the "Aventus killer" that it is purported as, I'd be excited as heck to see if they could do faithful renditions of other favorites such as MI or Tobacco Vanille.

Does Ilum Dean deliver international ? I wanted to try out the sample.

Edit: Guys they do deliver international !
    Last edited by inc0gnito; 17th January 2013 at 06:24 AM.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Blind bought this one. Considering I pay more than this for most decants I'm okay risking a let down.

The ebay seller was on 53 bottles sold when I purchased mine an hour ago. I just checked and it's now at 56 sold. Hype train for sure...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Blind bought this one. Considering I pay more than this for most decants I'm okay risking a let down.

The ebay seller was on 53 bottles sold when I purchased mine an hour ago. I just checked and it's now at 56 sold. Hype train for sure...
    That's actually the second listing he put up on Ebay. He sold over 60 bottles in 3 days on his first listing. Now you can do directly to his website and purchase it for $25 and change shipped.

Hopefully people don't start using this to fill Aventus decant orders claiming it to be "Aventus". I'd imagine the more experienced person could tell the difference but the average joe coming into the hobby couldn't (because they just don't know what to expect). Just me being paranoid.

I just purchased 3 samples (didn't seem worth the effort for just one lol). No need for a full bottle, since I already have a full bottle of the "real" thing, but I am very curious to see for myself!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

His shipping price has gone from free ninety free to $4, and now it's up to $6.30.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    His shipping price has gone from free ninety free to $4, and now it's up to $6.30.
    My guess is that it went from free "please try us out" to "ok this is expensive, we've got to start charging for this" to "OMG I need to rush this out faster to build on hype."

Purchased.. Shipped to my pop who will then ship to me in France.... yippee

well...I also got a bottle. You gotta love youtube reviewers to hype something like this lol. Will see if this anything like my beloved Aventus bottle

Doesn't seem to be a European source.