Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amouage Beloved Man

Notes list for Amouage's Beloved Man looks like it was designed to move into my top ten.

"The release states the notes as aromatically sharp top notes of Orange, Grapefruit and Elemi embracing an efflorescent melange of Geranium, Jasmine, Orris and Saffron at the heart. Warm Cedar wood, Guaiac Wood, Leather, Patchouli, Vetiver and Musk are richly woven in the intricate and alluring base."

More info here: http://perfumeposse.com/2013/01/15/amouage-beloved-man/
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Amouage Beloved Man

After been disappointed with Interlude Man I have high hopes for this one, at least the high quality is going to be there.

Damn, it sounded good until I saw the price.

Last edited by Shiny Beast; 16th January 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Can't wait!!

For some odd reason - just a hunch really - I have a feeling this will smell like an Amouagey-version of Caron's Third Man.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Junkie

I'm very interested in this as well, and I'll hopefully get to sample it while in London in February. What concerns me at the moment is the price, though. 425 usd seems like an extreme price, even for Amouage.

isn't the price a bit ludicrous?
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    isn't the price a bit ludicrous?
    I wonder if the name should be Amouage Rip Off Man, for those who have deep pockets not to care.lol

Sound Scents

Yeah, I was hooked until the end when I too saw the price... I am still interested, but I'd have to be absolutely blown away to part with that kind of coin.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I wonder if the name should be Amouage Rip Off Man, for those who have deep pockets not to care.lol
    yeah! great name!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Sounds good, but the price is a little off the roof.

Beloved Woman (a beauty BTW) is similarly exorbitantly priced. So not surprising that this one's crazy, too. Just what are Amouage trying to prove?

If it was standard Amouage pricing, I'd consider getting a sample. But, seeing as it is not, I think it would be wise of me to let this one go and pursue other fragrances.

Its first official review appeared on The Perfume Posse today

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Damn, it sounded good until I saw the price.

Brilliant clip
    I'll probably still buy though

Definitely want to sample, but also definitely will not buy. When prices reach the point where I can either get a fragrance or a plane ticket for a vacation at the same cost, well, it's not a hard choice to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Definitely want to sample, but also definitely will not buy.
    I feel the same way....Amouage was always a sample-worthy house, but rarely a bottle worthy house for my tastes.

But the last several fragrances have been so bad, such EMO, sullen, chain-smoking drama queens, that I haven't even tested Interlude yet, and will probably hold off on testing Beloved and Interlude until convienient with another order.

The house is crumbling into the "opulent luxury" of shoegazing-self-pity, like a bad melancholy grunge band past it's prime.

CologneFan85

Ive yet to like anything so much to buy a bottle from this house.

Basenotes Plus

For those of us in the US, my understanding, it will be an exclusive to Bergdorf Goodman for the long foreseeable future.

Basenotes Plus

Never say never. You can live off samples.

I can't believe the price. I'll still probably sample it. A lot of good juice from this house so far, so I'm hoping it's better than Interlude Man.

Still haven't tried Interlude Man. The price for this stuff though? Beyond Ridiculous. Thank God Reflection isn't this expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't tried Interlude Man. The price for this stuff though? Beyond Ridiculous. Thank God Reflection isn't this expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Its first official review appeared on The Perfume Posse today
    that review tells us absolutely nothing about Amouage beloved man... talk about bad reviews!!!

Quote: "Yes, it really is that intoxicating. By the drydown he was pinned in the chair, my face was jammed in his neck and I was growling" Yeeeup, that's very useful info!

Anybody got to try it yet? Not holding much hopes for this.

I was at the Amouage store in Oman y'day, and they mentioned that Beloved Man should be released in mid-Feb.

They had me sample their new attar called Valentine's Blend that would was a limited release for Feb as well (it was not on sale yet). The attar almost immediately reminded me of a woody and rounded version of Channel No.5. A very intoxicating attar that actually develops (top, middle, and base notes). I would categorize it as a floral woody attar, that could sway either for males or females. I could not smell any Oud in it, and it would cater for western noses very well.

They also hacd a limied edition attar called Ajwad (Retail for USD$ 200 for 12 mL), which was a combination of Rose, Musk, Sandalwood, and Oud. This has exactly the same ingredients as the ASAQ's Amir Meshaal (Retail for USD$ 2200 for 12 mL), and they smell almost exactly the same as well. Needless to say, Amir Meshaal has top quality ingredients (actual musk grains, first extract of the Rose Taifi, and 80 year old Oud Kalakassi, etc), but Ajwad was a next to near replica of it and was much more softer with more rose.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but wanted to share my experience at Amouage in Oman.

Thanks for the news, RSharma.

Looking forward to checking out Beloved Men. I thought Beloved Woman was pretty impressive in a classical kinda way and if the Man is similarly themed it could be very interesting. It all comes down to the ingredients, ultimately, and if this one leans more classical (as opposed to oriental / balsamic etc) then cool.

Unlike others here I see an interesting progression in the recent work - Opus IV & VI are quite distinctive and the Interlude duo are fun. The Man is just what it says on the box - if you read the rationale behind it the crazy paving actually makes sense, and Woman is a great compliment to it - quite a similar feel to Myrrhe et Delires from Wasser early 2012, which I found to be a great one for last summer.

Amouage is not for everyone, I get that, but what I'm seeing is a progression in terms of trying new ideas, something Malle also seems to be shooting for (albeit in a more subdued European fashion), and adventures are risky - hits and misses etc., but at least not boring. Good luck to anyone in this present economic and perfume unfriendly environment who tries to push the envelope a bit - beats being stuck with diluted 'fresh' stuff lacking any personality at all and the plethora of men's candied fruit and vanilla shit with a half life of decades and big toothy grin that seems to pass for modern perfumery these days

From the notes it sounds to me like an "Amouagey" version of a Micallef fragrance called Emir. Grapefruit, geranium, saffron, patchouli, cedar, leather, vetiver . . . Emir is missing orris and gaiac wood, but it has musk and pepper so that might be a wash. Just a guess, but it sounds like Emir to me.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 26th January 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Wearing this scent today. Still too soon to say a whole lot though.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    No immediate impression? Doesn't sound like its in favor.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ha, no, there is an immediate impression Scentologist! I just don't want to say something and then later have to retract my words, like I did with Honour. I swear, the Honour I first experienced struck me as a completely different (and better!) scent than the Honour I smell now when I revisit my sample.

I know it's cruel though not to say anything. Let me go get my notes and post a few snippets.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, had to go to a different comp to get my notes. I just typed these hastily as the thoughts came to me, and the opinions and observations are quick and prone to change as I learn more about the scent, so keep that in mind:

"Luminescent opening - golden radiance. The radiance is non-localized, almost like a glow from within. Unlike any Amouage opening."

"Best orris note ever??? comes through in short order, mixes with orange + grapefruit to give a sugared quality. Smells delicious."

"Orange, orris and sweet leather is next. Veers close to but never crosses the 'too sweet' threshold. Soft, inviting and enveloping. Classical composition - think Third Man, Knize Ten, etc - refocused through modern lens."

- - - Updated - - -

My god the orris note is incredible. It has the clarity of Dior Homme's iris, but more body and depth (the supporting leather/suede is more pronounced for sure.) It seriously might be the best orris/iris I've ever smelled. It seems at least some of the increased cost did go towards the budget of the scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, very different than anything else by Amouage. Those who have gotten sick of the trajectory of the house's mainline (woods, phenolic notes, smoke, gloom) will be pleased, I think, while those who want another Memoir, Epic or Interlude will not. It's character (not smell) is probably closest to Dia and Silver Man. A bit richer than Dia, but not as haughty as Silver. It's smell is.. well, I'm not going to say too much more until I can condense it down into a coherent review. If I keep giving little disconnected impressions it's going to make the scent sound quite fractured and dissonant, when it is anything but.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

"Orange, orris and sweet leather is next. Veers close to but never crosses the 'too sweet' threshold. Soft, inviting and enveloping. Classical composition - think Third Man, Knize Ten, etc - refocused through modern lens."
    I'm officially sold.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I would have to be sold to buy that.

Atleast parts of me.

lol Johnny. The price is definitely steep. It almost scares me that the thought of spending say, $150 on a scent nowadays seems "cheap". I remember the day, about 6 or 7 years ago, when I lambasted a coworker for spending like $60 on a bottle of D&G By Man (which was not discontinued then, and of which I had no idea of what it was like). I just kept saying "do you know what ELSE you could have bought with $60? Cologne? Seriously?!"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I remember when I thought $30 for a fragrance was outrageous.
    Last edited by noggs; 30th January 2013 at 12:26 PM.

oh wow, there goes my lunch money.

Where did you get to test it at?

Nice preliminary review SoS; it sounds delightful and promising. I will test it and first chance I get.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

So, SoS, are you saying it's an orris prominent fragrance?

I'm giving Amouage this year to redeem themselves, after which I'll ignore this house just like all the others that went downhill after tasting some high-profile success...

I hope to see a split on this soon

Split already on with KRON!

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Split already on with KRON!
    Split already full with KRON!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    So, SoS, are you saying it's an orris prominent fragrance?

I'm giving Amouage this year to redeem themselves, after which I'll ignore this house just like all the others that went downhill after tasting some high-profile success...
    An orris leather, predominantly, with a slight bitter green woody quality behind it, along with subdued fruits (I'll explain where I think they are coming from, below). Overall, if I had to put it into a two word category, I'd say floral leather.

The opening is just incredible. The grapefruit and elemi are noticeable but thanks to the already prominent orris and leather/suede note, they are incredibly round; the rendering of these notes is unlike anything I can think of at the moment. They only have the complete spotlight for a minute or two, but it is a grand introduction. A friend/fellow DIY perfumer once sent me the most incredible iris absolute; this was the stuff of legend. It had the clarity of Dior Homme's iris, the sweetness of the iris in Guerlinade, and some of the body and rootiness of the iris found in Iris Bleu Gris. Along with being ethereal and slightly powdery, it had a soft but noticeable raspberry note to it. The iris I smell in Beloved Man is the closest I've ever smelled to that legendary sample I had. And yes, there is a hint of raspberry in the first hour or so of Beloved Man. It's deftly integrated though, standing out far less than similar notes in other scents, and I believe most will probably not think 'oh yeah, raspberry!' unless they are looking for it, namely because it's an airy, almost transparent rendition of the note. Later on, the fruity aspects of jasmine absolute combine with some other notes and continue a red fruit impression. I'll elaborate more on that in the future as I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the note is/where it's coming from.

Regarding the opening, It's interesting how it is only after the brief but luminescent opening of yellow and gold that the orange note moves to the fore. As I said before, it then moves into an orange/orris/leather phase, and the peridot green base slowly makes itself more known as time goes on. I get hints of tobacco (I think this is the saffron note at work), a bit of jasmine green tea, dried grass. This sits under the lightly powdered leather/orange/orris accord, and the juxtaposition of the two calls to mind Nasomatto's China White (and in some ways, probably thanks to the grapefruit/green combination, Invasion Barbare). There is even some overlap with China White in basic scent profile, but (and I just compared them both on paper earlier today to make sure) Beloved feels much more natural, round, and lively. If you ever wanted to describe to a non-scent oriented person what three dimensionality in a fragrance smells like, Beloved is the scent you'd want to show them.

If anything, Trebor, it's really unlike any other Amouage scent. It's got a bit of Caron DNA, and definitely some Guerlain DNA. Some Dior, perhaps, too? It's definitely a classical men's scent done in a modern way. The late base does have a faint resemblance to Tribute attar (not too surprising I suppose when you look at the note overlap) but it's much softer. Smoother. The whole scent is smooth. Very smooth. They did a good job of capturing the romantic element, while managing to avoid making it overtly sexy. In that sense, it's character is something like a cross between Dior Homme (confident, slightly feminine, romantic and sexy) and Invasion Barbare (confident, masculine, not overtly sexy but almost seems to condense masculinity as a whole down into a fragrance, much the way Old Spice and Brut do).

So Trebor, I don't know that you'll like it, but I have no doubt that you will find it quite different than anything else by the house. I think you and I could both ID a new Amouage scent as being from Amouage if it continued along the trajectory of the mainline. I don't think most would immediately think Amouage if smelling Beloved blindly. I'm guessing many would think it's a new Guerlain from one of their exclusive lines.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks for this review SculptureOfSoul, it's amazing how you can "reverse engineer" fragrances and be able to identify the different notes, sometimes I find it very hard to do that!

Thanksalot for your impressions, sculpture

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Thanks for this review SculptureOfSoul, it's amazing how you can "reverse engineer" fragrances and be able to identify the different notes, sometimes I find it very hard to do that!
    Well, a few points about that:

1) It's not easy, and it takes a lot of work in the best of cases. I can usually pick up major notes and things with a few regular wearings, but for a detailed breakdown (which I only occasionally do, when I find the composition novel or the scent particularly moving) takes numerous wears and detailed scrutiny. I have been known to sit around for a couple of hours doing nothing but smelling the scent, jotting down notes, etc. Odd? Probably. But I find it enjoyable - it's like listening to an album or watching a movie I love.

2) I've worked with natural perfumery materials (about 200 or so) for a number of years now, and that really helped me to learn not only how various notes smell, but how they can be utilized. Some notes 'lift' other notes. Some notes may just add a depth or roundness. Some notes round other notes. You get the idea. Anyhow, I will say that despite all I've learned I know there is still SO much more to learn, and in so many ways I'm still just a beginner. I have very little experience with synthetic aroma chemicals, which is something I'd like to rectify in the next year or two.

3) This ties into the last part of point 2. Given that I don't have experience with many synthetics, and most scents (yes, even high end niche) are predominantly synthetic, I give my impressions based on what notes these synthetics mimic, and how my nose perceives them. I suppose I would probably still do that even if I did know the synthetics, as I don't know how helpful it would be to say "and then the phenyethyl acetate note comes to the fore, flanked by some methyl anthranilate and aurantiol." Well, I suppose if the synthetics were described in more detail, such reviews might be interesting to a select few. We'll see, I may end up incorporating that kind of analysis into future reviews if/when I get the necessary knowledge to do so. Anyhow, as it is now, I explain the notes my nose perceives, and also the way those notes seem to interact with each other (their structural, compositional function) based on my own experience with naturals. I may be way off the mark with my analysis at times, but my goal is not to reduce the scent down to a formula anyhow. My goal is to shine some light on the beauty of the architectural side of a perfume, as I think there is just as much beauty and intrigue in the workings of the composition (and from that, trying to guess what the perfumer was thinking) as there are in the final smell itself. If anyone reads one of my detailed breakdowns and finds something new to love about a scent they already enjoy, then I have succeeded.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sound Scents

While we tend to have very different tastes, SoS, the way you write and describe your experience with the scents you enjoy always makes it mandatory for me to try every one of them. You have a real way with words for sure! You make a strong case for Beloved Man here, even though I personally am not the biggest fan of either Dior Homme or Invasion Barbare...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thanks drseid!

As I said it's really not like either one of them, individually, so I think there's a chance you might like it. I'm curious to see if anyone is going to find some of the scents embellishments to be 'too modern.' I tend to like modern scents more than classical scents (such as K10, or another I went back and resniffed to compare recently, Dunhill '34). I think both K10 and Dunhill are masterpieces and absolutely top notch compositions, but they're just not 'me.' Beloved, being a modern take on classical notes, is much more to my liking. I really don't own any classical scents (outside of maybe Grey Flannel, if you'd call it that), but I can definitely see myself owning a bottle of Beloved, some day.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Ah, I can't believe I forgot to mention that I'm actually not that big a fan of Dior Homme, Invasion Barbare or China White. I like the basic idea behind them, but there's something in each of them that just doesn't work for me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I can't wait to try this one. I wonder what the easiest way to sample it would be since it's going to be exclusive to Bergdorf in the US. Would they send me a sample if I called and asked?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I can't wait to try this one. I wonder what the easiest way to sample it would be since it's going to be exclusive to Bergdorf in the US. Would they send me a sample if I called and asked?
    TPC and Surrender To Chance will probably purchase a bottle when it becomes available, so that will most likely be your best bet.

I tried this earlier today morning, and found it to quite similar to the drydown of opus vi, but longevity and or sillage is somewhat poorer than opus vi (which is monstrous) also i believe Beloved MAN is nearer to Interlude man than anything else in the amouage line, so far - i am already not favoring it, it isnt bad, its got the lovely orris root that i like but besides that its got that "wannabe" vibe that Interlude has, and lacks that effortless elegance of Opus VI and or Epic Man, my two favorites from this house, i also tried Tribute Attar today, and as fantastic as it was - it will be impossible to wear in my climate - i was also told that Opus 7 will be releasing somewhere in June!
    Last edited by benzganesh; 10th February 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    also i believe Beloved MAN is nearer to Interlude man than anything else in the amouage line
    I was pumped for this after the other posters review, reading that above makes me a sad panda.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Not close to Interlude please.

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    I was pumped for this after the other posters review, reading that above makes me a sad panda.
    You should try on your skin mate, it might do different thing for you, but for me - Beloved Man didnt do much, it had the dry down opus vi and heart of interlude so couldn't put enough sense into a full bottle purchase, especially since i already own opus vi

Heart of Interlude means a bitter smokey heart?

smokey vetiverish, somewhat "yesteryear" perfume accord, also quite similar to Dia, but the vetiver has that strong interlude link, was quite dissapointed, but happy i don't have to think much about it now!

I'll be near the Amouage boutique, in a couple of days, and will try it then. For the sake of my bank account, I'm hoping NOT to like it. Opus VII on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'll be near the Amouage boutique, in a couple of days, and will try it then. For the sake of my bank account, I'm hoping NOT to like it. Opus VII on the other hand...
    Yea, Man I am too very excited about Opus VII, i can't praise opus v and vi enough - both are excellent! amouage also consider the opus line much more "concentrated", than their standard eau de parfum.

Yea, Man I am too very excited about Opus VII, i can't praise opus v and vi enough - both are excellent! amouage also consider the opus line much more "concentrated", than their standard eau de parfum.
    Yeah, I've noticed the concentration aspect, which greatly appeals to me. While I admire the last two Opuses, there was something in the bases that didn't appeal to me.

I also heard a rumour that Opus VII may be the final Opus entry. Personally, I hope not but, if it is, I really hope that they pull out the stops for this one.

amouage also consider the opus line much more "concentrated", than their standard eau de parfum.
    More??!!!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!??!!?!??? ...Wow... I already get crazy good longevity from Interlude Man. Crazy good. It would probably go 24 hours if I didn't shower. And that's 2 sprays from a sample vial sprayer, not an actually bottle sprayer. A spray to the chest, a spray to the upper back. 24 hours. And I can easily smell it on the button down shirt I wore over a t-shirt days later. Interlude Man packs a puuuuuuuuuuunch.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam