Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Creed Windsor disappointment

I love it, I would put it aside and visit it later on down the road!

CologneFan85

Creed Fanboys are most likely Apple fanboys too... lol jKING I enjoyed this fragrance

Last edited by heperd; 17th January 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Sorry to go a little off topic here, but why is it that whenever a Windsor thread pops up, the majority of the thread is people arguing and debating. Just something I noticed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    It was never available ove here in the UK, so I have never had the opportunity of experiencing the disapointment of not liking it Trouble is, it sounds like my kind of scent. Going by your description, it sounds similar to SMN's Pot Pourri, which I love.
    Interesting comparison, but Windsor and PotPourri have very little in common. Pot Pourri is much more herbal and resinous, while Windsor is unabashedly floral. Windsor has quite a bit more in common with Carnal Flower, including the pairing of tuberose with eucalyptus. The main difference is that Windsor is a bit greener and lacks CF's coconut accord.

What I find underwhelming about Windsor is its longevity. I get about four hours out of the newest release, which is disappointing given its considerable pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    If I think something is the greatest thing since sliced bread, should I not have the right to praise it at every chance possible without being labelled a fanboy? I don't understand what you're getting at.
    Because I'm allergic to gluten!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cloud atlas View Post
    Interesting comparison, but Windsor and PotPourri have very little in common. Pot Pourri is much more herbal and resinous, while Windsor is unabashedly floral. Windsor has quite a bit more in common with Carnal Flower, including the pairing of tuberose with eucalyptus. The main difference is that Windsor is a bit greener and lacks CF's coconut accord.

What I find underwhelming about Windsor is its longevity. I get about four hours out of the newest release, which is disappointing given its considerable pricetag.
    Though Coconut isn't listed, I swear I smell it...There was a Yankee Candle that was lime vanilla and coconut that smelled just like Windsor... and yea, It's longevity isn't as long as Aventus or GIT, neither of which can be said to have monster longevity.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I own it and I like it. It grows on you. Give a it few more wearings. It's really very nice stuff.

It's all class to me. One of my favorites.

Walk down the baked goods aisle and tell me sliced bread does not smell awesome! That's what I thought. I'm an unabashed bread fanboy. Deal.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Walk down the baked goods aisle and tell me sliced bread does not smell awesome! That's what I thought. I'm an unabashed bread fanboy. Deal.
    tell me about it...I love the smell of fresh baked bread

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    If you must join the exclusive "Creed club" for heaven sake...buy Green Irish Tweed, or even Aventus...
    Why? Just because you like them...and not Windsor? Does that make you an Aventus/GIT fanboy then?
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

Wow, that went well!...lol

I am glad that after sampling a few times this was not my style and for that my wallet says " Thank You!"
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Tonka Imperiale
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Oud Wood
    6. Ambre Nuit
    7. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    8. Noir de Noir
    9. Apple Brandy
    10.Straight to Heaven

I had a similar reaction to Windsor the first time I smelled it. I actually thought I must have received the wrong sample because I thought it was so medicinal and Ben Gayish. And, interestingly, my nose (like yours) smelled something similar to Original Vetiver in the scent (which you also are particularly offended by). It was suggested to me that maybe my nose is particularly sensitive to Lyral, so maybe that is the reason you, too, are so offended by Windsor and OV. The difference between you and me was that I didn't "hate" it, I was just surprised by it because I had never smelled anything like it before. It was shocking, really. THIS is the acclaimed WINDSOR? Impossible, I thought!

I will say this. If you find Windsor truly repulsive and KNOW you could never like it, fine, don't bother with it anymore (smoky fragrances do that to me). But if you aren't at the point of HATING it, I would recommend giving Windsor a few more tries. I say that because I've been where you are. Many of us have. Windsor is a fragrance that tends to become especially enjoyable the more you wear it. We "learn" about fragrances just as we do anything else. And, no doubt, we learn to appreciate things, when initially, we couldn't appreciate them in the least. For instance, I had to "learn" what "rose" in a fragrance smells like. I never thought I'd enjoy Windsor the first time I smelled it, but I now do.

After I gave Windsor a few more tries, I found the dry down to be fantastic. It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

So don't be too hasty to write it off. The more you are in this fragrance game the more your nose learns and appreciates.
    Currently wearing: Windsor by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why? Just because you like them...and not Windsor? Does that make you an Aventus/GIT fanboy then?
    I already apologized for the oversimplification of that remark. If you honestly love it, and would still own it if the bottle said Revlon or Avon, not Creed, then go for it. I just spent about 1/2 hr looking at various Creed fragrance reviews to try to find an example of a "bomb" (ONE frag. that most people or at least half the people didn't like.) There are none. Not b/c Creed has a perfect record, I found alot of "I really wanted to like this b/c I love Creed" and many "It's ok, but not at the prices they charge." who gave the fragrance a positive or neutral rating. I suspect that many of those would have been more scathing of the fragrance if it was by a "bargain house" also, we tend to defend purchases we may have spent too much money on b/c we don't want the dissonance of thinking we were ripped off. True, sometimes more money = better quality, but many times it is shown that that is not always true. I have paid $600/oz for a fragrance (Tribute) and could tell the quality was there whether or not I liked the smell, I also have bought juice for $200 and thought it smelled good but I was glad I got it at a bargin price b/c it wasn't worth what the retailer was asking.

It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

I guess I'm one of those lucky guys who fell for Windsor on the first sniff. It was my first rose-based fragrance. I have explored numerous other offerings since then but still find it to be the best of the group. I can relate to RedRaider430's comment above--the more I smell this scent, the better I like it. It is almost intoxicating to my nose. It lasts a good 12 hours on my skin
    and remains even longer on my shirt though I never spray it on my clothes (2 shots to the chest and one to the nape). I don't get any lime in it either, as previous posters have said. Nor, however, do I get any rotting pine as some apparently do. I get some eucalyptus, but for me it is almost completely a fresh rose scent from top to base. This is one of my all-time faves--unique, distinctive and memorable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

I guess I'm one of those lucky guys who fell for Windsor on the first sniff. It was my first rose-based fragrance. I have explored numerous other offerings since then but still find it to be the best of the group. I can relate to RedRaider430's comment above--the more I smell this scent, the better I like it. It is almost intoxicating to my nose. It lasts a good 12 hours on my skin
    and remains even longer on my shirt though I never spray it on my clothes (2 shots to the chest and one to the nape). I don't get any lime in it either, as previous posters have said. Nor, however, do I get any rotting pine as some apparently do. I get some eucalyptus, but for me it is almost completely a fresh rose scent from top to base. This is one of my all-time faves--unique, distinctive and memorable.
    Amazing how two people can get two completely different interpretations. I followed everyone's advice, and gave it a second chance today. Two spritzes to the chest, one to the neck/shirt...my standard for most fragrances. I smelled it for about 30 minutes, then it was gone. If I lifted my collar and sniffed, I could still smell it, but zero projection even to my own nose. It smells like Key Lime pie and Vick's vapor rub. either one smells good, together, not so much. I still get a hint of coconut, which is strange b/c that isn't listed. The pine doesn't smell rotted to me, but it is dissonant to the rather gourmand lime and coconut notes. Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...

Amazing how two people can get two completely different interpretations. I followed everyone's advice, and gave it a second chance today. Two spritzes to the chest, one to the neck/shirt...my standard for most fragrances. I smelled it for about 30 minutes, then it was gone. If I lifted my collar and sniffed, I could still smell it, but zero projection even to my own nose. It smells like Key Lime pie and Vick's vapor rub. either one smells good, together, not so much. I still get a hint of coconut, which is strange b/c that isn't listed. The pine doesn't smell rotted to me, but it is dissonant to the rather gourmand lime and coconut notes. Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...
    I am a Creed fan, but these descriptions make it sound bland. Pass.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Basenotes Plus

Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...
    I think most people can appreciate your stance on this. As the old adage goes, that is why Baskin Robbins makes 64 flavors, there is something for everyone. Perfumes are no different, there is something for everyone.

You do not find Windsor appealing, whereas I find it so. You have New York Amber as one of your top 5, to me, it is not something I would have as part of my collection and I am a big time Amber fan, and generally like Bond No.9. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong, just means we have different tastes like most people who are part of basenotes.

Possum, I agree about the amazingly different takes 2 different noses can have on the same fragrance. I don't have any definitive explanation for it other than climate, skin and possibly batch differences, but I am really sorry that Windsor doesn't work for you. I have been there too with other fragrances, wondering why they got so much love on BN but not "getting it" personally. Completely agree also that you should be happy with the longevity on any fragrance that you pay top dollar for.