Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Creed Windsor disappointment

I have been itching to try Creed Windsor for 6 months now. I am a notorious Creed critic, I admit that I like Aventus and Love GIT, just HATE the Cheer-leading squad that accompanies them. ANYWAY I have been obsessing over Windsor for 6 months, and ALMOST blind bought a flacon, but luckily had the opportunity to try it first. I rarely give a fragrance a thumbs down, (ONLY 8% of all my 125 ratings were thumbs down) but this would rank a double thumbs down if I could...Lime cream, pine oil, eucalyptus cough drops, and a strange chemical undertone similar to what Creed Original Vetiver has. I know the Creed snobs would give a cup of muddy water a thumbs up if it came from Creed, but I judged it on its own merits, not its House. Top it off that people actually pay $600-$700 for this and it just makes it all the more tragic. If you must join the exclusive "Creed club" for heaven sake...buy Green Irish Tweed, or even Aventus...
    For Sale: Gengis Kahn, Mona d' Orio, Penhaligons.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creed Windsor disappointment

We both have the minority opinion on Windsor, but I completely agree and disliked it immensely. I was looking for a great rose scent and instead got rotting pine and eucalyptus surprise... One to skip for sure, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I can appreciate you did not like it, but with many fragrances, we all get and feel something different.

Myself, I find it to be a great fragrance, and am so glad I own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I know the Creed snobs would give a cup of muddy water a thumbs up if it came from Creed, but I judged it on its own merits, not its House. Top it off that people actually pay $600-$700 for this and it just makes it all the more tragic. If you must join the exclusive "Creed club" for heaven sake...buy Green Irish Tweed, or even Aventus...
    I think we have to accept that different people will have different opinion about things and a scent won't ever be judged only by the way it truly smell.
    For example, I think majority of Amouage Man line is over-priced and not creative and Tom Ford Noir de Noir is a shameless copy of Bond No9 West Side, I know many out there would disagree with me

Post Thanks / Like

This is on my to try list. If I ever get around to acquiring a sample I will judge it for myself. However, I'm glad you are not another Creed fanboy and can have an honest opinion. That I can respect.

I am one of the biggest Creed fans in the world. IMO, they are the best fragrance house there is. However, I don't rave about all their offerings. I love some, I hate some.

Windsor is close to being very nice. I can see it is almost there. But each time I wear it, I get more and more of a buzzing note (probably the eucalyptus?). Once my 10ml split is gone, that will be it. I love and own many Creed fragrances. This is not one of them. I think it is ok, but there are many better rose fragrances. And I can see how some would completely dislike it.

I'm willing to bet that there will be people in here soon talking about how it was once great, reformulation killed it, etc. I wouldn't know - I only smelled the recent formulation.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

I think it's a phenomenal scent, sorry you didn't like it. Give it a few more tries, the first time I smelled it I thought it smelled like mothballs.

I think your assessment of Creed fans is a little unfair. So because I like Creed I'm cosidered part of a "cheer-leading squad", or a "Creed snob"? Perhaps we should lump you in with the "hipsters who like to hate on things just because they're popular squad", that seem fair?
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 16th January 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I think it's a phenomenal scent, sorry you didn't like it. Give it a few more tries, the first time I smelled it I thought it smelled like mothballs.

I think your assesment of Creed fans is a little unfair. So because I like Creed I'm cosidered part of a "cheer-leading squad", or a "Creed snob"? Perhaps we should lump you in with the "hipsters who like to hate on things just because they're popular squad", that seem fair?
    The way I read it was, that he was referring to those who think Creed's offerings are the greatest thing since sliced bread and will praise it every chance possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I can appreciate you did not like it, but with many fragrances, we all get and feel something different.

Myself, I find it to be a great fragrance, and am so glad I own it.
    More power to you. I find that I generally become more negative and scathing in my reviews of a House that has a cult following. It is hard to tell how many of the (admittedly) overwhelming positive reviews are for the fragrance itself, or for the fact that someone paid a huge amount of money for an exclusive fragrance from an exclusive house. I would LOVE to do an experiment and tell people that an "Avon discount fragrance" was Creed's newest "Diamond Jubilee" fragrance, and listen to people ooh and aaah over it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    The way I read it was, that he was referring to those who think Creed's offerings are the greatest thing since sliced bread and will praise it every chance possible.
    If I think something is the greatest thing since sliced bread, should I not have the right to praise it at every chance possible without being labelled a fanboy? I don't understand what you're getting at.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I'm willing to bet that there will be people in here soon talking about how it was once great, reformulation killed it, etc. I wouldn't know - I only smelled the recent formulation.
    It was part of the Limited Reserve line, so unless they start to produce it again, won't see much of it out there. I got the very last bottle that NM had.

- - - Updated - - -

More power to you. I find that I generally become more negative and scathing in my reviews of a House that has a cult following. It is hard to tell how many of the (admittedly) overwhelming positive reviews are for the fragrance itself, or for the fact that someone paid a huge amount of money for an exclusive fragrance from an exclusive house. I would LOVE to do an experiment and tell people that an "Avon discount fragrance" was Creed's newest "Diamond Jubilee" fragrance, and listen to people ooh and aaah over it.
    No different than many people who slobber all over Montale. I happen to think most of their stuff isn't worth purchasing, but I am not going to start thread calling it appalling or find any thread that has the mere mention of Creed in it and find a way to interject a negative like some people on here.

If I don't like something that I tested, I keep it to myself unless asked for an opinion.
    Last edited by PalmBeach; 16th January 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm going to make a public apology here. I do get tired of the "Creed Cheer-leaders" by that I mean those who interject "Creed" into every thread, and feel every quality fragrance ever made was by Creed. I am sorry for implying that many Windsor lovers do so only b/c it is exclusive and Creed. Those of you who truly love it for its scent alone, and believe it is worth the money they paid for it, enjoy. I tend to ignore a "House" when I try a fragrance. Cost does play a part in my reviews...If it smells great and is a bargain, all the better, but if it is "only average" but is expensive and by a famous house, I have higher standards for it.

Post Thanks / Like

It was never available ove here in the UK, so I have never had the opportunity of experiencing the disapointment of not liking it Trouble is, it sounds like my kind of scent. Going by your description, it sounds similar to SMN's Pot Pourri, which I love.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Personally really like Windsor quite a bit although there are others I like more in their line.

I disliked it at first. Now, I like and appreciate it but don't feel I'd ever wear a whole flacon of it. It was the rose that put me off initially but have grown to understand its importance in the fragrance.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make a public apology here. I do get tired of the "Creed Cheer-leaders" by that I mean those who interject "Creed" into every thread, and feel every quality fragrance ever made was by Creed. I am sorry for implying that many Windsor lovers do so only b/c it is exclusive and Creed. Those of you who truly love it for its scent alone, and believe it is worth the money they paid for it, enjoy. I tend to ignore a "House" when I try a fragrance. Cost does play a part in my reviews...If it smells great and is a bargain, all the better, but if it is "only average" but is expensive and by a famous house, I have higher standards for it.
    I hear what you are saying. Sometimes it becomes a bit too monotonous. Aventus is a great fragrance, like it or not, but it is not the best thing since sliced bread, and it does not cover everybody's needs.

I think Creed has some great fragrances, but like any line, to me, not everyone will be a winner.

Whether you feel it is overpriced or not, it is one of the few high end houses that has found its way into the gray market big time and can be purchased at a price a little higher than many designer scents at retail. You cannot say that for many niche houses. Heck, most can be purchased cheaper than Montale, so all in all it can be a bargain when compared to others.

If someone judges a scent more harshly because others rave about it, that's ridiculous not to mention unfair because it means the reviewer isn't judging the juice. He's judging others' opinions of the juice. I don't understand the whole 'joiner' thing where people choose what to like based on the need to be part of the group. But I also don't understand those who let their opinions be little more than a reaction to the praise of the group. It's all so silly.

I don't enjoy Windsor at all. But that's just me. I don't think it's tragic that some people pay a ton of money to buy Windsor. In fact, I think it's great that they found something they enjoy enough to pay that much... but it's definitely not one for me.

If I think something is the greatest thing since sliced bread, should I not have the right to praise it at every chance possible without being labelled a fanboy? I don't understand what you're getting at.
    A: Dude. Sliced bread is SO overrated. God, I can't stand the sliced bread fanboys. They're the WORST.
    B: I agree with you, 100% - except for the part about the sliced bread, of course. F sliced bread
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    If someone judges a scent more harshly because others rave about it, that's ridiculous not to mention unfair because it means the reviewer isn't judging the juice. He's judging others' opinions of the juice. I don't understand the whole 'joiner' thing where people choose what to like based on the need to be part of the group. But I also don't understand those who let their opinions be little more than a reaction to the praise of the group. It's all so silly.

I don't enjoy Windsor at all. But that's just me. I don't think it's tragic that some people pay a ton of money to buy Windsor. In fact, I think it's great that they found something they enjoy enough to pay that much... but it's definitely not one for me.
    I NEVER hate a fragrance b/c people croon and swoon over it. I just dislike the interjection of their pet fragrance into every thread ie. "what is your favorite citrus fragrance? Aventus. What is your favorite tar based fragrance? Aventus. What is your favorite rose female fragrance? Aventus..." you get the point. I Own Aventus and GIT, and enjoy them both. I got them at a discount and am glad b/c I own other fragrances that have better quality control. Scents are subjective, but like cars, handbags, and dress shirts, some enjoy a high rating simply b/c of a label attached. I own Lacoste shirts, but honestly they are no better quality than ones I got from WalMart...but people ooh and aahh over them.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Aventus is a great fragrance, like it or not, but it is not the best thing since sliced bread
    I disagree. I wore sliced bread for a whole week - not one compliment. Except from a pigeon.

I do get tired of the "Creed Cheer-leaders" by that I mean those who interject "Creed" into every thread, and feel every quality fragrance ever made was by Creed.
    Creed may get the most praise, but I don't think I have noticed anyone who completely praises every fragrance they make. I feel they are far and away the best house overall, but they have many offerings that I don't like, and many that I feel very "meh" about. I don't really notice people going way off topic on threads just to mention "Creed!". I do notice that with the haters though.

Would you have started this thread if it were Mona Di Orio Windsor?

- - - Updated - - -

I NEVER hate a fragrance b/c people croon and swoon over it. I just dislike the interjection of their pet fragrance into every thread ie. "what is your favorite citrus fragrance? Aventus. What is your favorite tar based fragrance? Aventus. What is your favorite rose female fragrance? Aventus..." you get the point.

I get that. But it's not just Aventus (it's the new hot thing, so that's to be expected). People swoon over Dior Homme Intense the same way. And Creed MI all summer long. And anything vintage once it's been reformulated. That's just the way it seems to be when someone tries something that they really like, they will have to talk about it, so the newer ones get a bit more buzz than they would otherwise if they are universally liked.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    6. Dior - Vetiver

I have been itching to try Creed Windsor for 6 months now. I am a notorious Creed critic, I admit that I like Aventus and Love GIT, just HATE the Cheer-leading squad that accompanies them. ANYWAY I have been obsessing over Windsor for 6 months, and ALMOST blind bought a flacon, but luckily had the opportunity to try it first. I rarely give a fragrance a thumbs down, (ONLY 8% of all my 125 ratings were thumbs down) but this would rank a double thumbs down if I could...Lime cream, pine oil, eucalyptus cough drops, and a strange chemical undertone similar to what Creed Original Vetiver has. I know the Creed snobs would give a cup of muddy water a thumbs up if it came from Creed, but I judged it on its own merits, not its House. Top it off that people actually pay $600-$700 for this and it just makes it all the more tragic. If you must join the exclusive "Creed club" for heaven sake...buy Green Irish Tweed, or even Aventus...

It did nothing for me. But on a side note, why were you obsessing over it and almost blind buy a 600 flaccon of a scent you have not smelled from a house you criticize?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. I wore sliced bread for a whole week - not one compliment. Except from a pigeon.
    Now that is a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    But on a side note, why were you obsessing over it and almost blind buy a 600 flaccon of a scent you have not smelled from a house you criticize?
    I must be slow today, because I missed that one. You make a good point.

I NEVER hate a fragrance b/c people croon and swoon over it.
    I was commenting on this:

I find that I generally become more negative and scathing in my reviews of a House that has a cult following.
    - - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong... I hate the fanboyism too. I'm just saying that anti-fanboyism is equally as bad. They're two sides of the same coin. You don't like reviews that are more positive than they should be because of fanboyism, but you said you review things with extra negativity if the house has fanboys.

Fanboyism sucks, but only you can decide if someone else's immaturity will alter your honesty.

- - - Updated - - -

How hot was it?

...I mean the bread, not the pigeon.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really notice people going way off topic on threads just to mention "Creed!". I do notice that with the haters though.

Would you have started this thread if it were Mona Di Orio Windsor?
    You're probably not reading enough threads then. I've lost count of the number of threads where someone has asked for fragrance recommendations and given some specifics (which would tend to eliminate things like GiT, Aventus, etc) only for someone to post and tell them to get/sample GiT/Aventus.

That said in all honesty this happens with other fragrances too, and probably has less to do with the house and more to do with things being the flavor of the month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    It did nothing for me. But on a side note, why were you obsessing over it and almost blind buy a 600 flaccon of a scent you have not smelled from a house you criticize?
    LOL You got me there...I have a thing for anything British, and first bought GIT because I had heard a rumor that Prince Charles wore it on occasion. I had read about Windsor, and saw all the positive reviews, and again heard that a royal or two had worn it. (All of this before I was oppressed with the Creed hype.) I since learned that just b/c someone was rumored to have worn a fragrance, doesn't mean the really did...I was so naive. Maybe I speak out so about Creed b/c I almost fell for all the hype myself. Since then I go strictly by sampling first.

How hot was it?

...I mean the bread, not the pigeon.
    Top notes were just ok. Terrible sillage. The pigeon on the other hand, was delicious. Like a large Chicken McNugget.

I normally base my opinions of a fragrance on the fragrance itself - regardless of the house. I don't work for or own stock in any fragrance company, so I have nothing to gain either way. Also, I have found something I like and something I don't like from almost every house. And oftentimes the ones I like are not the ones that get the most love on Basenotes. It just seems like Creed is in the center of these things since about half of all the [over?] hyped fragrances are from them. All the positive hype seems to surround the fragrance itself. Most of the negative hype surrounding those same fragrances is foucused on the house, not the fragrance.

I still don't know (or care) if Creed is French or English. I honestly don't know much about many of the fragrance houses for that matter, whether they are niche or designers, where they are located, etc - just the fragrances they put out. That's all I really care about anyway.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    6. Dior - Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by heperd; 17th January 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Since then I go strictly by sampling first.
    That is the key.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    6. Dior - Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed may get the most praise, but I don't think I have noticed anyone who completely praises every fragrance they make.

- - - Updated - - -
    WOW...I must disagree. I cringe whenever someone asks for a suggestion for a Oud, or Rose, or Amber fragrance, and some joker says "Aventus" Or someone says "I like YSL L'Homme can you suggest a similar fragrance? and someone says, "well, it's not similar but you really need to try Aventus" I have even seen a thread for "Ugliest bottle" and someone says "Well the bottle isn't ugly but I LOVE Aventus!" GAG.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first smelt Windsor, I thought it was okay. I got a burst of rose and lasted throughout. As I wore it more, I got to truly liking this fragrance. The rose note is superb and very natural to me. To be honest, i don't get many of the other notes people talk about, such as the lime note. I pretty much just get rose, and I really like it.

Regarding Creeds, I'm a big fan of the house. For the most part, I either love or like their fragrances. However, there are some that I'm not fond of. Such as Tabarome Millesime and Royal Water. Erolfa is okay (really enjoy it sometimes, other times I want to scrub it off).

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong... I hate the fanboyism too. I'm just saying that anti-fanboyism is equally as bad. They're two sides of the same coin. You don't like reviews that are more positive than they should be because of fanboyism, but you said you review things with extra negativity if the house has fanboys.

Fanboyism sucks, but only you can decide if someone else's immaturity will alter your honesty.
    Excellent post.

I'm a huge fan of Windsor, especially in it's even more green and luscious original formulation. But I can see how the medicinal and pine aspects can make it seem "old" or "ointment-y" to some. But to me, that eucalyptus just adds to the fantasy of a cold, sparkling morning dew on a rose/tuberose garden flanked by lime and pine trees. LOVE this scent, and always will.

- - - Updated - - -

I have even seen a thread for "Ugliest bottle" and someone says "Well the bottle isn't ugly but I LOVE Aventus!" GAG.
    I've always found the textured pleather bottle with the stick figure horsey to be the ugliest in the creed lineup by a country mile.

- - - Updated - - -

I have even seen a thread for "Ugliest bottle" and someone says "Well the bottle isn't ugly but I LOVE Aventus!" GAG.
    I've always found the textured pleather bottle with the stick figure horsey to be the ugliest in the creed lineup by a country mile.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it, I would put it aside and visit it later on down the road!

CologneFan85

Creed Fanboys are most likely Apple fanboys too... lol jKING I enjoyed this fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by heperd; 17th January 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to go a little off topic here, but why is it that whenever a Windsor thread pops up, the majority of the thread is people arguing and debating. Just something I noticed lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    It was never available ove here in the UK, so I have never had the opportunity of experiencing the disapointment of not liking it Trouble is, it sounds like my kind of scent. Going by your description, it sounds similar to SMN's Pot Pourri, which I love.
    Interesting comparison, but Windsor and PotPourri have very little in common. Pot Pourri is much more herbal and resinous, while Windsor is unabashedly floral. Windsor has quite a bit more in common with Carnal Flower, including the pairing of tuberose with eucalyptus. The main difference is that Windsor is a bit greener and lacks CF's coconut accord.

What I find underwhelming about Windsor is its longevity. I get about four hours out of the newest release, which is disappointing given its considerable pricetag.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I'm allergic to gluten!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cloud atlas View Post
    Interesting comparison, but Windsor and PotPourri have very little in common. Pot Pourri is much more herbal and resinous, while Windsor is unabashedly floral. Windsor has quite a bit more in common with Carnal Flower, including the pairing of tuberose with eucalyptus. The main difference is that Windsor is a bit greener and lacks CF's coconut accord.

What I find underwhelming about Windsor is its longevity. I get about four hours out of the newest release, which is disappointing given its considerable pricetag.
    Though Coconut isn't listed, I swear I smell it...There was a Yankee Candle that was lime vanilla and coconut that smelled just like Windsor... and yea, It's longevity isn't as long as Aventus or GIT, neither of which can be said to have monster longevity.

I own it and I like it. It grows on you. Give a it few more wearings. It's really very nice stuff.

It's all class to me. One of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Walk down the baked goods aisle and tell me sliced bread does not smell awesome! That's what I thought. I'm an unabashed bread fanboy. Deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Walk down the baked goods aisle and tell me sliced bread does not smell awesome! That's what I thought. I'm an unabashed bread fanboy. Deal.
    tell me about it...I love the smell of fresh baked bread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

If you must join the exclusive "Creed club" for heaven sake...buy Green Irish Tweed, or even Aventus...
    Why? Just because you like them...and not Windsor? Does that make you an Aventus/GIT fanboy then?

Wow, that went well!...lol

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that after sampling a few times this was not my style and for that my wallet says " Thank You!"
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar reaction to Windsor the first time I smelled it. I actually thought I must have received the wrong sample because I thought it was so medicinal and Ben Gayish. And, interestingly, my nose (like yours) smelled something similar to Original Vetiver in the scent (which you also are particularly offended by). It was suggested to me that maybe my nose is particularly sensitive to Lyral, so maybe that is the reason you, too, are so offended by Windsor and OV. The difference between you and me was that I didn't "hate" it, I was just surprised by it because I had never smelled anything like it before. It was shocking, really. THIS is the acclaimed WINDSOR? Impossible, I thought!

I will say this. If you find Windsor truly repulsive and KNOW you could never like it, fine, don't bother with it anymore (smoky fragrances do that to me). But if you aren't at the point of HATING it, I would recommend giving Windsor a few more tries. I say that because I've been where you are. Many of us have. Windsor is a fragrance that tends to become especially enjoyable the more you wear it. We "learn" about fragrances just as we do anything else. And, no doubt, we learn to appreciate things, when initially, we couldn't appreciate them in the least. For instance, I had to "learn" what "rose" in a fragrance smells like. I never thought I'd enjoy Windsor the first time I smelled it, but I now do.

After I gave Windsor a few more tries, I found the dry down to be fantastic. It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

So don't be too hasty to write it off. The more you are in this fragrance game the more your nose learns and appreciates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why? Just because you like them...and not Windsor? Does that make you an Aventus/GIT fanboy then?
    I already apologized for the oversimplification of that remark. If you honestly love it, and would still own it if the bottle said Revlon or Avon, not Creed, then go for it. I just spent about 1/2 hr looking at various Creed fragrance reviews to try to find an example of a "bomb" (ONE frag. that most people or at least half the people didn't like.) There are none. Not b/c Creed has a perfect record, I found alot of "I really wanted to like this b/c I love Creed" and many "It's ok, but not at the prices they charge." who gave the fragrance a positive or neutral rating. I suspect that many of those would have been more scathing of the fragrance if it was by a "bargain house" also, we tend to defend purchases we may have spent too much money on b/c we don't want the dissonance of thinking we were ripped off. True, sometimes more money = better quality, but many times it is shown that that is not always true. I have paid $600/oz for a fragrance (Tribute) and could tell the quality was there whether or not I liked the smell, I also have bought juice for $200 and thought it smelled good but I was glad I got it at a bargin price b/c it wasn't worth what the retailer was asking.

Post Thanks / Like

It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

I guess I'm one of those lucky guys who fell for Windsor on the first sniff. It was my first rose-based fragrance. I have explored numerous other offerings since then but still find it to be the best of the group. I can relate to RedRaider430's comment above--the more I smell this scent, the better I like it. It is almost intoxicating to my nose. It lasts a good 12 hours on my skin
    and remains even longer on my shirt though I never spray it on my clothes (2 shots to the chest and one to the nape). I don't get any lime in it either, as previous posters have said. Nor, however, do I get any rotting pine as some apparently do. I get some eucalyptus, but for me it is almost completely a fresh rose scent from top to base. This is one of my all-time faves--unique, distinctive and memorable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    It's one of those fragrances that I couldn't stop myself from smelling. I love going back and smelling my shirt the next day after I've worn Windsor. It just smells so good to me. What IS it that makes it smell so good?!?!

I guess I'm one of those lucky guys who fell for Windsor on the first sniff. It was my first rose-based fragrance. I have explored numerous other offerings since then but still find it to be the best of the group. I can relate to RedRaider430's comment above--the more I smell this scent, the better I like it. It is almost intoxicating to my nose. It lasts a good 12 hours on my skin
    and remains even longer on my shirt though I never spray it on my clothes (2 shots to the chest and one to the nape). I don't get any lime in it either, as previous posters have said. Nor, however, do I get any rotting pine as some apparently do. I get some eucalyptus, but for me it is almost completely a fresh rose scent from top to base. This is one of my all-time faves--unique, distinctive and memorable.
    Amazing how two people can get two completely different interpretations. I followed everyone's advice, and gave it a second chance today. Two spritzes to the chest, one to the neck/shirt...my standard for most fragrances. I smelled it for about 30 minutes, then it was gone. If I lifted my collar and sniffed, I could still smell it, but zero projection even to my own nose. It smells like Key Lime pie and Vick's vapor rub. either one smells good, together, not so much. I still get a hint of coconut, which is strange b/c that isn't listed. The pine doesn't smell rotted to me, but it is dissonant to the rather gourmand lime and coconut notes. Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how two people can get two completely different interpretations. I followed everyone's advice, and gave it a second chance today. Two spritzes to the chest, one to the neck/shirt...my standard for most fragrances. I smelled it for about 30 minutes, then it was gone. If I lifted my collar and sniffed, I could still smell it, but zero projection even to my own nose. It smells like Key Lime pie and Vick's vapor rub. either one smells good, together, not so much. I still get a hint of coconut, which is strange b/c that isn't listed. The pine doesn't smell rotted to me, but it is dissonant to the rather gourmand lime and coconut notes. Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...
    I am a Creed fan, but these descriptions make it sound bland. Pass.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Overall a disappointment both in smell and longevity. I know everyone is different, but If I pay top dollar for something, I want it to last at least 4-5 hours...
    I think most people can appreciate your stance on this. As the old adage goes, that is why Baskin Robbins makes 64 flavors, there is something for everyone. Perfumes are no different, there is something for everyone.

You do not find Windsor appealing, whereas I find it so. You have New York Amber as one of your top 5, to me, it is not something I would have as part of my collection and I am a big time Amber fan, and generally like Bond No.9. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong, just means we have different tastes like most people who are part of basenotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Possum, I agree about the amazingly different takes 2 different noses can have on the same fragrance. I don't have any definitive explanation for it other than climate, skin and possibly batch differences, but I am really sorry that Windsor doesn't work for you. I have been there too with other fragrances, wondering why they got so much love on BN but not "getting it" personally. Completely agree also that you should be happy with the longevity on any fragrance that you pay top dollar for.