Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 77 of 77
  1. #61
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    You know, Kumquat, I think including the letter made the whole package go First Class.


  2. #62
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,664
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You know, Kumquat, I think including the letter made the whole package go First Class.
    That's how they get you.
    The reason I say I think it would have been less- first he said something like "Oh, are you just forwarding mail?" Then he got the bright idea to ask if I'd included a note.

  3. #63

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I buy more than a few bottles on ebay and just about all come USPS First Class or Priority. One guy recently said the PO told him that it could not be sent with any of their services, so he eventually decided to use FedEx, but before that it's been at least 90% First Class or Priority.

  4. #64

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I shipped some samples out the other day and even told the guy, unsolicited, that they were perfumes. He didn't seem to care.

  5. #65

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I sell fragrances from time to time on eBay. Some are new in box, and some have been previously used. I recently mailed a 1/3 full bottle of Marc Jacobs. The buyer asked for a refund because the bottle was not as advertised. I requested a photo of the item as she'd received it. The liquid had turned dark and she said it was all "gassy". Perhaps I've been duped or perhaps there is something to shipping fragrances by ground and not via Priority mail. I lost on that deal and had to refund selling price and shipping. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

  6. #66
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,303

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I recently experienced a major change in my post office. Previously(2 months ago?) they would ask if it was perfume, I'd say yes and they'd ship ground for about $2.95 for a batch of samples in a padded envelope. Now, for the same, they charge $6.95 and ship it Standard Post instead of just First Class Ground. However, I went to a different PO a couple weeks ago and they shipped it First Class Ground, boxes too, for the half price option. They stamped it all over with stamps which say Ground Shipment Only, Liquid, and ORM-D. But my regular PO won't do that. It is making me crazy.

    Oh, and Kumquat, I have had several experiences with that kind of thing too. There is a special rate for Media Mail which I use to ship books and periodicals. If you include any type of note or receipt, then it can't go Media Mail. It's a stupid technicality.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  7. #67
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I recently experienced a major change in my post office. Previously(2 months ago?) they would ask if it was perfume, I'd say yes and they'd ship ground for about $2.95 for a batch of samples in a padded envelope. Now, for the same, they charge $6.95 and ship it Standard Post instead of just First Class Ground. However, I went to a different PO a couple weeks ago and they shipped it First Class Ground, boxes too, for the half price option. They stamped it all over with stamps which say Ground Shipment Only, Liquid, and ORM-D. But my regular PO won't do that. It is making me crazy.
    ...
    My PO will ship first class ground. I mailed 2 perfumes this way just a couple of days ago.

    May I suggest having a talk with your local postmaster-- tell him what happens at the other PO and ask him why his PO is forcing you to go to a higher cost shipping method. He may be unaware that the employees are doing this.


  8. #68
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,228

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    May I suggest having a talk with your local postmaster-- tell him what happens at the other PO and ask him why his PO is forcing you to go to a higher cost shipping method. He may be unaware that the employees are doing this.
    Yes, the policy should be uniform at all locations.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  9. #69
    Basenotes Plus
    RHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,748

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Driving home tonight I saw something I've never seen before, a Postal Police car. I kid you not. It was a white 4 door sedan, looked like a police car, even he'd the driver side spot light!

    This is CRAZY!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

  10. #70
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,602
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I just googled images-- cool!

    I found this on Wikipedia about the U.S. Postal Inspection Service:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ection_Service
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 28th October 2014 at 12:21 AM.


  11. #71

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I'm kind of miffed at this entire "no shipping" to APO thing. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the Air Force and my wife attempted to ship me a package with a bottle of cologne in it for Christmas. Since she was honest with the postal employee when they asked if it had "perfume or cologne" in it - they refused the package. I don't know why you can't ship these things - since I can put them in my luggage and bring them on a plane (which I had done as well). I'm fairly certian my luggage was handled far more roughly than any package would be - and everything was fine.

    Anyway, just wanted to vent. I'm now going to go back to smelling like Afghanistan, instead of LPH.

    E

  12. #72
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,664
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I go to a mailing service. They are great. They never enquire about the contents. Just be sure it is sealed and wrapped securely in bubble-wrap and peanuts.

  13. #73

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by intelrunner View Post
    I'm kind of miffed at this entire "no shipping" to APO thing. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the Air Force and my wife attempted to ship me a package with a bottle of cologne in it for Christmas. Since she was honest with the postal employee when they asked if it had "perfume or cologne" in it - they refused the package. I don't know why you can't ship these things - since I can put them in my luggage and bring them on a plane (which I had done as well). I'm fairly certian my luggage was handled far more roughly than any package would be - and everything was fine.

    Anyway, just wanted to vent. I'm now going to go back to smelling like Afghanistan, instead of LPH.

    E
    Fragrance companies ship out literally thousands of bottles of cologne every day on planes, but individuals are not allowed to do the same?

    Would she (or you) oppose trying again, and giving a different answer?
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 5th December 2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

    Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  14. #74

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Fragrance companies ship out literally thousands of bottles of cologne every day on planes, but individuals are not allowed to do the same?
    And seeing as most politicians lie...

  15. #75

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Actually I always received quickly & smoothly many fragrances from USA & Canada in the past couple of years.
    My current top five:

    Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

    ______________________________

    My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

    My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

  16. #76

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    I think there is something about shipping dangerous goods in accepted quantities via air mail. I've received packages from Europe marked " DANGEROUS GOODS IN IATA EQ" with a special alert label. I know this is air mail because it leaves Europe and arrives in the U.S. on the same day.

  17. #77

    Default Re: USPS and mailing fragrances

    Shipping with USPS goes without a hitch if I use Priority Mail and if the piece can fit in their small fixed rate box. Either their box or my own, I print the postage at home on my computer, package it so it doesn't rattle around and drop it into their drop off mail bin. That way I don't have to answer questions at the postal window where some of my local post office people see themselves as agents of Homeland Security, and some don't care at all what I've put in the box. I've not had a problem mailing things this way.

Similar Threads

  1. Flashpoint of fragrance oil and mailing???
    By seasplash in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 9th December 2012, 03:04 PM
  2. Looking for a Samples mailing list or such.
    By Ekove in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th August 2010, 02:16 PM
  3. Mailing to Canada
    By debbborra in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th August 2009, 03:33 PM
  4. Tips on mailing samples?
    By pinkfizzy in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19th July 2009, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000