Code of Conduct

Default Cuir Fétiche vs. vintage Tabac Blond

Several people who have tried Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's Cuir Fétiche have remarked that it bears more than a passing resemblance to the original Tabac Blond. Having not ever sampled (or even been in the same room as) vintage Tabac Blond, I have been forced to take them at their word. However, considering that it has been years since any of them have actually worn Tabac Blond in its original incarnation, I have decided to open the floor to the basenotes community. So, if anyone has had the pleasure of sampling both vintage Tabac Blond and Cuir Fétiche, can you comment on any similarities?

On an unrelated note: 100th post!

Default Re: Cuir Fétiche vs. vintage Tabac Blond

Can't answer you question on the Cuir Fetiche, but the Tabac Blond is pretty good. Congrats on the 100th post.

I have a small decant of the real stuff Tabac Blond (the heavily animalic stuff). I don't see the similarity. Cuir Fetiche, apart from disappointing me a lot with its rather generic base, bears a certain resemblance to Cuir de Russie Parfum and a smoother Knize Ten. The new Ambre Doré has a certain aura not unlike the current Tabac Blond Extrait.

The original Tabac Blond is a much harsher leather than Cuir Fetiche. I prefer CF of the 2, but I like Mark Buxtons 'Hot Leather' and SMN's 'Nostalgia' even better.

[

I'm just going to go ahead and buy a sample of the vintage juice. I just so hate paying the absurd prices that all of the decant joints charge. Highway robbery it is!

Thanks for the replies—you guys are the best!

Well, if you think of buying a sample of 'vintage' Tabac Blond from The Perfumed Court, this is NOT the real stuff. It smells identical to the current.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Well, if you think of buying a sample of 'vintage' Tabac Blond from The Perfumed Court, this is NOT the real stuff. It smells identical to the current.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming 'vintage' in this case means a few years back?

It may well be from the 1990s, but Fraysse's new interpretation of Tabac Blond happened before. I would expect more profound knowledge and expertise from any decant site in general. That is why I stopped buying samples about two years ago. I no longer buy, I only swap with perfumistas etc. Unfortunately, my sample of the original animalic Tabac Blond is so small that I can't share it.