Code of Conduct

Question Need some suggestions, please.

I'm new here, and slowly learning about fragrances, which is fascinating to me. I have never found a fragrance that I could call a signature fragrance for me. I have always loved Youth Dew, but on others. I like that clean fresh as dew scent. But it sure doesn't smell like that on me! Don't know if I'm using the right term or not, but is there such a thing as I maybe can't wear anything in the"spicey family", but would do much better in another area?? I've tried a few "spicy" fragrances, but I never like them on me. And I'm not into the really flowery fragrances. I'm looking for something that is fresh and clean to wear just as a daily fragrance. I'm just not finding things I like. Any suggestions on what I might try?? Surely my body chemistry likes something that's out there! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need some suggestions, please.

Welcome!

Despite the name, It's not just you, most people don't find Youth Dew fresh and dewy, but rather a heavy spicy oriental.

There are many types of perfume that come off as clean and fresh. They usually have a touch of flowers, but many aren't particularly floral. For instance, you could look into "green" perfumes, ie those based on fresh grassy, vegetal notes. Examples include Chanel Cristalle (and its lighter Cristalle eau verte) or Estee Lauder Private Collection. With a few more flowers, there are he so called aldehydics, like Chanel No 5 and its flankers. And then in the superclean category, there's Estee Lauder Pleasures, which I am not too fond of, but which was indeed created to give a day-long sense of just showered.

As you probably know, when testing fresh and light perfumes, be careful to wait for the drydown. Often, the top is fresh, but either the perfume disappears quickly, or moves into heavier and more chemical drydowns.

cacio

CologneFan85

Try green and sporty...GIT, DG The One Sport, Armani summer, DG Light blue, Polo Blue, Locoste Green/White etc

Fougere Marine by Montale or Nu Green by Honores Des Pres

Post Thanks / Like

Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey and it's flankers
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport and it's flankers
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of Cristalle as well. You might like things that are classified more as "green" as well such as Chanel #19. Citrussy fragrances can be nice as well. I like the Guerlain Pamplelune, which is an excellent grapefruit-like fragrance, but there are others. A research study a few years back showed women appeared more attractive to men when there was the smell of grapefruit present. Go figure.

Thanks so far...that gives me some starters. I just like a soft clean, fresh aroma. I need to experiment a little I guess!!

- - - Updated - - -

I like something.....
    -almond
    -coconut
    -cottony
    -island
    Last edited by moonbeam; 16th January 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Fresh, green and light is „Pure” by DKNY. I find several Fragrances by Chloé clean, but they are a bit more floral.
    In the niche section you could try Acqua di Biella's „Kid Mohair”, or „Les Souveraines d'Egypte” by Roméa DAméor. They are soft and clean to me, but not very green. Or „Geste” by Humiecki & Graef…
    Coconut: „Virgin Island Water” by Creed.

Post Thanks / Like

Kiton Men
    Gucci Pour Homme II

My preferred "clean" scents are D&G light blue and Chanel Cristalle eau verte. I think you should sniff both in your quest!

- - - Updated - - -

Also try Acqua di Parma mandorlo di sicilia if you like almond.

Post Thanks / Like

Light Blue for women is a fabulous long standing favorite...so is Lubin's Gin Fizz. But if you find that you have a body chemistry that is somewhat unsettling to most perfumes, you may want to try a lesser known scent called "Molecule 01"...it's a "skin scent" that has a very clean, detergent-like, woody, fresh scent. It has a tendency to smell different to different folks and react to various types of skin chemistry. I suspect your skin would make it really sing.

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    Light Blue for women is a fabulous long standing favorite...so is Lubin's Gin Fizz. But if you find that you have a body chemistry that is somewhat unsettling to most perfumes, you may want to try a lesser known scent called "Molecule 01"...it's a "skin scent" that has a very clean, detergent-like, woody, fresh scent. It has a tendency to smell different to different folks and react to various types of skin chemistry. I suspect your skin would make it really sing.

I was once given a gift of EA Green Tea and that scent I got some compliments on. Other than that there has never been much I've liked. Like I said in the opening...I love the scent of Youth Dew, but it sure doesn't like me. I wish I could find something close to Youth Dew that would work for me, but perhaps the spicy scents just aren't for me period. "Molecule 01" sounds interesting and if I can find it I might give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions.....

- - - Updated - - -

Just got my bottle of Plilosykos and thought I'd try it since a few on here have liked it. I'll let you know what I think about it! I think I'll be experimenting quite a bit to find my signature scent. Also thought of trying out EL Private Collection. I think I had some of this years ago, but it must of not made an impression on me. But who knows.....maybe my body chemistry will like it now. Anyway keep the ideas coming! And thanks!!