Code of Conduct
    Banned

Arrow To what end will this fragrance journey lead YOU?

I must begin by saying that while I am only 22, and having been a part of the fragrance community since January of 2011, my nose and perceptions, as well as my curiosity have been ever growing and maturing. When I first started my journey, as many describe this hobby, I researched the usual places; here on basenotes, and, of course, youtube. I gasped when I saw Marc's videos of his immaculate collection. It had never occured to me that one could have such a passion for fragrances, and seeing some of the BNers wardrobes, Marc's collection now seems like that of an "enthusiast."

Now, when this hobby is described as a journey, I cant help but to wonder; Where is this journey leading us? To what end is this journey? At what point will we look at our wardrobes, which have taken some of us our entire lifetime to acquire, and put the last bottle in its rightful place and say, "That's it. I am finally done. My journey is over." Do we keep searching and searching for that one fragrance that is means to an end; the one bottle that replaces every single bottle we have in our entire collection? The most versatile fragrance which cannot be excluded from use in any occasion; day or night, summer or winter, spring or fall. From weddings to Super Bowl parties. From a midsummer baseball game at Fenway, to a shareholders meeting in the dead of winter. Does such a fragrance even exist?

While it may be easy for me to think about having only one signature scent for any condition or any occasion because I am still an infant in this vast world of fragrance, those of us who have sampled, tested, and owned hundreds or even thousands of scents, I imagine it would be nearly impossible to find the mythical, One Fragrance to Rule Them All. Yes, I had to throw a Lord of the Rings reference in there somewhere. While the idea of needing only one scent for the rest of our lives is a beautiful thought, it makes we question why we strive to smell and purchase so many different scents. So I ask you fellow basenoters. To what end will your fragrance journey lead YOU?

Default Re: To what end will this fragrance journey lead YOU?

A hugely philosophical question in life in general... I do believe it's the journey that matters and not the destination. I see myself grouping 'milestone fragrances' around me that left a deep impact and feel appropriate in specific moments in life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    A hugely philosophical question in life in general... I do believe it's the journey that matters and not the destination. I see myself grouping 'milestone fragrances' around me that left a deep impact and feel appropriate in specific moments in life.
    That was the intent

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    That was the intent
    Thus my answer

me personally (similar to my Star Wars, fitted cap, shoes etc hobbies) this hobby is about collecting, enjoying and looking for the ‘Holy Grail’. I am seeking for top 10 ultimate signature scents. my collection is about 40+, but I think 20 would be enough. but as a journey, I was learning a lot. buying decants, samples, smaller bottles, no blind buy etc etc.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Basenotes Plus

The way i'm going it's going to lead me to bankruptcy!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

My predicition is in a retirement home with no cash and 4000 bottles of scents.

I still love fragrances but I'm just about done exploring. I have enough bottles and samples for probably a lifetime like most people on here I would assume. I might sample something if it's really unique or getting a lot of hype in the future, but that would be rare. One surprising thing I learned was that I actually had more fun testing designer bottles. With a few exceptions(MR, LDDM, Ambre Sultan,...), I was disappointed in quite a few popular niche offerings, especially anything oud based. It might not be very sophisticated, but I'd rather be wearing Michael Jordan Legend than say, Back to Black, Chergui, or GIT.

Homelessness. But I'll be the best smelling tramp in town and I'll be able to live inside my den of bottles.

Death.

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    Now, when this hobby is described as a journey, I cant help but to wonder; Where is this journey leading us? To what end is this journey? At what point will we look at our wardrobes, which have taken some of us our entire lifetime to acquire, and put the last bottle in its rightful place and say, "That's it. I am finally done. My journey is over."
    Interesting thread and I'm glad someone asked this!

Let me answer by phrasing it like this: I went to smell nice on my last day on earth or in 'my final resting place' and so for me there are no 'end of the road' measures.

Who knows, it could be that one day my wife (aka the home government) orders me to stop buying or to start selling. I'll have no choice by then as death may ensue shortly afterwards!!

It's not a journey. It's a lifestyle.

for swap/sale:

It will leave me with a satisfying accomplishment that I can pass on to another to continue.

At least a few dozens, even hundreds of other scents on my wish list, and, eventually, purchase list.

No end. Just a journey.

The only one who knows the answer to this is your overall finances. A lot of basenoters will continue to collect frags as long as they can afford to.

I'm not sure how to answer this. When I came here in 2008 my goal was simple.."I need a new cologne, what's good?" Then I got sucked down the rabbit hole and was trying things I couldn't and still can't pronounce. I was buying decants and atomizers for future samples. I have taken 2 very large breaks but something always brings me back and that is a few Holy Grail scents. I love TdH and I test everything else but I just have this picture of me at work, wearing a scent that comes off as masculine, beautiful, sexy, powerful and that leaves just a small hint for everyone. I can't find it. So I think I'll always be at this because there are always so many more releases. I don't collect. I only own 3-4 at a time and I'm patient. Here is a prediction for me. So far I've never scratched the niche itch and gone all in on bottles despite probably 100 samplings but there will be a day when the designers all run together....sooner than later...and I'll end up just buying GIT or Aventus or MI or a Bond or...something that I buy once a year. I used to do this with Cool Water in the early to late 90s and hopefully I can settle down again.

Edit: See prediction above. I just purchased a 5 ml decant of Aventus. Hope my wife can hold herself back daily
    Last edited by ToughCool; 16th January 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

"Our job is to live joyously in this world of sorrows." This quote from the late Joseph Campbell seems to me a reasonable if sketchy roadmap for a life journey, enjoyment of fragrance being just one of the many aids along the way. I fully agree with the journey is the destination. Enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by kbe; 16th January 2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Banned
    Blog Entries

i have no idea. what I EXPECT is a cycle of me trying and swapping fragrances that will probably end in about 3 years. then i'll live happily ever after with the collection i have. but i'll occasionally try new things, but not nearly as much as i am now.

Expensive niche bottles towering over my cold, dead body. The corpse will be found many weeks after I've passed away, neighbours saying that they didn't notice at first as all they could smell were my usual 12 sprays of Kouros :-(

I don't think I'll ever stop collecting. I may sell scents for other ones, give bottles away that have served me well in the hopes that they may due the same to others, etc. Ultimately though, I agree with hednic. I'd love to have a collection that I could pass down to my son, and him to his son. Even if we have different tastes, they are bound to like some of them.

That's the awesome thing about buying fragrances. While the $200 price tag may seem steep, it will last you damn near forever, so spread that cost out over the years and you are smelling good every day of your life for pennies.

I don't think the 'holy grail' theory holds up. I just want to go out and look for another one.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

As long as perfume manufactures keep putting out new frags, my journey will never end because I am addicted to the joy the scents give me.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

...this 'journey' will lead me to a small but exquisite collection of only real masterpieces...!

Overcome By Fumes

Life is the journey. On the journey of life, one enjoys it more when one stops to smell the roses along the way. It just happens that many of the roses I smell are ensconced in bottles. My only goal with the fragrance hobby is to smell good and enjoy the fragrances along the way. I have no holy grail/fragrance destination in mind. I stopped buying for about 3 years as other more pressing life matters took priority, but that didn't stop me from enjoying my daily fragrances. Recently I have bought some more things, just because they smell good. I'm too perfumiscuous to believe there is any one fragrance that will satisfy me.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

To a fragrant grave.

This journey has led me to realize just how wrong my perceptions were before I started.
    I thought "I don't like Florals." Bzzzt!!! Apparently, I do.
    I thought "I don't like incense." Bzzzzzzzt!!!!!! Apparently, I do.
    I thought "I don't like strong scents." BZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!!!! Apparently, I do, though I enjoy skin scents too.

This journey has led me to pay more attention to the wonder of smells in general.
    The smell of a hot loaf of bread.
    The smell of wet leaves on the sidewalk in autumn.
    The smell of a new pair of shoes before they've been worn for the first time.

This journey has taught me to look for magic rather than mere utility.
    Fahrenheit changes how I feel.
    Gucci Pour Homme affects how I think.
    L'Air du Desert Marocain takes me somewhere else.

I have no idea what I'll discover next, but I'm loving the process of learning, and corny as this may sound - frankly, I don't give a ratsyouknowwhat if it sounds corny since it's true - I consider myself richer for everything I've learned along the way.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

There is no end until you decide fragrances aren't a part of your lifestyle.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Interestingly, I think I have reached my version of the "end". Which is to own about 30 great scents and use them profusely. Collecting just ain't my thing, I'm a user. I just told my wife that this hobby has reached a point where I will buy maybe one bottle every four months or so, but it will be a doozy! 30 may seem like a collection, but it's more of a wardrobe. I will also not hesitate to sell off any I'm not that crazy for. I've lost some zeal for purchasing new scents in a rapid fire fashion. My aim is to slow way down. My local retailers will be quite sad to lose my money!

This change may seem insignificant for some, but I have been buying 4 or 5 bottles per month. I'm kind of sick of it. There aren't that many quality scents in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    No end. Just a journey.
    Yes, exactly.

From Rumi Jalaludin: "Let the beauty we love be what we do".

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It's not a journey. It's a lifestyle.
    My thoughts exactly. And at the very end i would have lived life always doused in a primal pleasure of mine.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This is simply a hobby to enjoy and that's it. It's not a "journey".