Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Top 10 Hyped Fragrances on Basenotes

Based on my observation, these are the top 10 fragrances on Basenotes and Youtube that have been hyped the most (often in proportion to people outside of basenotes).

Notice how I said hyped (and not overhyped). All of these fragrances are popular for a good reason (and I like most of them).

Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus

Default Re: Top 10 Hyped Fragrances on Basenotes

That seems like a plausible list to me. I think it would be impossible for a lot of those fragrances to live up to all the hype, but nonetheless, they're all quite good. (Not a really big fan of La Nuit de L'Homme, but still.)
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    That seems like a plausible list to me. I think it would be impossible for a lot of those fragrances to live up to all the hype, but nonetheless, they're all quite good. (Not a really big fan of La Nuit de L'Homme, but still.)
    Couldn't have said it any better!

Too many to list and quite subjective.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I also like about 80% of that list. Very good choices which deserve the hype.

Banned
    Blog Entries

of the list, i think lidg is the most overhyped, TO ME.

i like it, but i just dont see it as anything more than ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Too many to list and quite subjective.
    For a top ten list, I think noirdrakkar listed exactly the right number! One more or one less would have ruined it.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

you hit the nail on the head

But they are great fragrances, own most if not all of them on that list

Basenotes Plus

I'd say that's a pretty accurate list except for La Nuit de L'Homme. Not really a very hyped fragrance on YouTube or Basenotes but that doesn't mean it isn't a solid fragrance. Also I'd say LIDGE over LIDG but maybe that's what you mean't.

I've tried almost all of those... and as much as I love Creed fragrances... I can't seem to get my nose around Aventus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Based on my observation, these are the top 10 fragrances on Basenotes and Youtube that have been hyped the most (often in proportion to people outside of basenotes).

Notice how I said hyped (and not overhyped). All of these fragrances are popular for a good reason (and I like most of them).

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    I've tried (owned some) everything in your list except the first one. My favorite is Tobacco Vanille and L'Instant, and my least favorite is La Nuit --- it just doesn't work on my skin. Other than that, the list looks solid, each one deserves the hype at least here on BN. (To casual users, like my friends here, they probably do not know most of the fragrances listed above unless I show them my samples/bottles.)

Basenotes Plus

I don't see LIDG hyped anywhere near LIDGE. you may want to add Extreme to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    exactly what i was going to mention.

also, maybe I would swap out Chergui with Creed MI or Egoiste
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Fresco by Ilum Dean, the new hype beast.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Think you have a good point. I don't see much hype for Chergui. It is close between Egoiste and MI, but I think Egoiste pulls the win in a photo finish.

Yes. Pour LIDG doesn't get any cred and lives in it's cocoa rich flanker's shadow instead. I like the Extreme, but LIDG is amazing.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Plus

Think you have a good point. I don't see much hype for Chergui. It is close between Egoiste and MI, but I think Egoiste pulls the win in a photo finish.
    Well to defend Chergui, he did say Basenotes and YouTube. Chergui would easily be in the top three of hyped fragrances on YouTube. It's insane how crazy they go over that fragrance. Just received my sample today and it is very good though. Can't wait to try it.

Musc Ravageur

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme

L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    Take those out, add these in...

Burberry London
    Gucci PH II
    New Haarlem
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 17th January 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Well to defend Chergui, he did say Basenotes and YouTube. Chergui would easily be in the top three of hyped fragrances on YouTube. It's insane how crazy they go over that fragrance. Just received my sample today and it is very good though. Can't wait to try it.
    Ah, ok, that is possible - I haven't watched any reviews on YouTube - maybe I should start!

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post

Haven't heard much of this one yet - maybe it will catch on.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Puredistance - Black
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post

Is that the Aventus clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Is that the Aventus clone?
    Clone is a strong word, I'm tempted to say knockoff, but I've not smelled it yet.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    I'm somewhat thankful for the hype. After deciding that I wanted to add something new to my collection I ventured on over to google to look for reviews and stumbled upon basenotes. One purchase soon turned into 10 and I have added Angel Men Pure Malt and Dior Homme Intense to my collection as blind buys and I couldn't be happier!

Nice list. I would also add Pure Havane to it.

But outside of Basenotes, lots of people have heard of those scents. You can buy them in department stores (except for the Tauer). You really have to go niche for scents talked a lot about here, that are virtually unheard of by 'the man on the street'.

Pure Malt and Musc Ravageur ate to me the most overhyped ones. MR especially smells like crap yet they'd have you believe it's a "sexy" scent. Last time I checked a sexy scent is supposed to be pleasant and liked by many. I don't know of a single person that even remotely likes this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    But outside of Basenotes, lots of people have heard of those scents. You can buy them in department stores (except for the Tauer). You really have to go niche for scents talked a lot about here, that are virtually unheard of by 'the man on the street'.
    Disagree. Ik ow people who haven't even heard of Le Male, 1 Million and Acqua di Gio. None of the ones in the op are mass seller scents, the regular person wouldn't even be aware of something like Creed. Speaking for the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Disagree. Ik ow people who haven't even heard of Le Male, 1 Million and Acqua di Gio. None of the ones in the op are mass seller scents, the regular person wouldn't even be aware of something like Creed. Speaking for the USA.
    In the UK more people have heard of Creed, Hermes and Tom Ford than lines like Ramon Monegal, O'Driu and Slumberhouse. Maybe it is different where you live.

of the list, i think lidg is the most overhyped, TO ME.

i like it, but i just dont see it as anything more than ordinary.
    +1000
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

What about Gucci Pour Homme and Spicebomb ?.......incidentally, I detest both of these and about 90% of the hyped stuff on basenotes.

From your list I do like L'Air Du Desert Marocain, Dior Homme Intense and L'Instant Homme, (only EDP version though.)
    Last edited by david; 17th January 2013 at 02:32 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Norne-Slumberhouse
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus

To be honest, I don't love most of those. Never understood the hype, but that's OK, because we should be able to like what we like, rather than what we are "supposed" to like. It's OK not to like the same things, popular or otherwise.

I love Dior Homme and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, non-intense versions. Never understood why they are so looked down upon? Not everything EdP must be better (especially since the formulations are actually different-not just the concentration.) Of course, it's OK to love the "intense" versions, but the originals are stars, and what I call "the original artwork" (despite the reformulations, such as Demachy's new Dior Homme version, which is still very similar to Polge's version, IMO.)

Terre d'Hermes is nice, but I've never have felt the need to "have" a bottle.

Chergui is fine. I love Serge Lutens for the most part. But I don't see how Chergui is close to his line's "best" perfume. I love quite many other Lutens above Chergui, and know I am not missing out on anything by not owning Chergui.

A*Men Pure Malt smells really good, but I don't use it that often. I don't understand why it's so hated by some (it's nice), but also am surprised that so many people utterly ADORE it. To each their own-it's not bad at all anyway.

Tobacco Vanille... very sweet and rather pleasant, but not worth the money for me (no offense intended.) At a much lower price point, I would consider it, but a fragrance must indeed wow me if I am going to spend that much. Clearly it doesn't impress me to that extent. (VERY different vanillas that I prefer over it-Un Bois Vanille, and Havana Vanille, both very unlike each other; Montale Vanillas are also very nice.)

I do love Chanel's Egoiste, though it wasn't in the original ten "most hyped on Basenotes" list. It just smells wonderful, and I feel equally great when wearing it. I need to get around owning a new bottle, since I have a Concentree version from the nineties rather than the original Egoiste, but to me they smell very similar (the Concentree is even more woody-both are great.)

I've tried the top ten listed, and for most, I think my reaction was "I can see why some people love this, but it's not for me."

Each of the top ten has some interesting notes -- those aren't basic citrus or aquatic scents.

The only two in my daily rotation are Chergui and GIT -- and to this day, for the life of me, the one scent whose universal acclaim baffles me is Aventus, which I hate.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    and to this day, for the life of me, the one scent whose universal acclaim baffles me is Aventus, which I hate.
    coincidentally, the one [nearly] universally acclaimed fragrance that baffles me is Creed Millesime Imperial, and I see that is in your top 10. Different strokes for different folks!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Puredistance - Black
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

coincidentally, the one [nearly] universally acclaimed fragrance that baffles me is Creed Millesime Imperial, and I see that is in your top 10. Different strokes for different folks!
    No! Your nose is wrong, and mine is right! Aventus is objectively bad!

And Millesime Imperial is made from Angel's tears. That's why it is salty, and the batch variations are because some angels are made entirely of melon. Most basenoters know this, which explains its popularity. Along with the fact that Creed pays Grant to let its employees post good things.
    Current Top Five:

1. Aventus
    2. Aventus
    3. Aventus
    4. Aventus
    5. Aventus
    6. Aventus
    7. Aventus
    8. Aventus
    9. Aventus
    10. Aventus
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 17th January 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Basenotes Member

Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain - have not yet sampled, but I intend to.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - I love the smell based on a sample I bought. I ordered a 10ml decant and will decide whether to invest in more later. I keep the sample in my jacket pocket so I can always take a whiff of it

Serge Lutens Chergui - I was disappointed with this one. I'll wear it a few times before deciding.

Terre d' Hermes - I enjoy the smell of this and plan to buy a bottle in the future.

La Nuit d' L'homme - Love it! I can see why people dislike it though.

L'Instant de Guerlain - I like it but don't plan on buying a bottle when my 5ml decant is finished.

Angel Men Pure Malt - I have not sampled this yet, but enjoy Pure Havane a lot!

Dior Homme (Intense) - The decant I ordered should be coming in either this week or next, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Creed Green Irish Tweed - The fragrance that got me into fragrances. It's a beautiful scent and I'll always have some with me.

Creed Aventus - This smells absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    for the life of me, the one scent whose universal acclaim baffles me is Aventus, which I hate.
    I like Aventus, but I agree in that I don't understand the immense hype it's getting. I find Aventus pretty much as good as a lot of the other Creeds, but for some reason, Aventus is being spoken of way way more. I don't quite understand it either. I mean, it's good and IMO bottle worthy, but I don't get the constant holy grail acclaim that it's getting.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 17th January 2013 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Pure Malt and Musc Ravageur ate to me the most overhyped ones. MR especially smells like crap yet they'd have you believe it's a "sexy" scent. Last time I checked a sexy scent is supposed to be pleasant and liked by many. I don't know of a single person that even remotely likes this.
    That's odd. The few times I've worn it it's been well received, and I've gotten compliments on it. Maybe it's a matter or application or something? I can see why some might not like it, but for myself, and others I've known, I've found that it has been quite "liked" by people around me I suppose.

I didn't dig it much myself at first either though, so I can sympathize.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I like Aventus, but I agree in that I don't understand the immense hype it's getting. I find Aventus pretty much as good as a lot of the other Creeds, but for some reason, Aventus is being spoken of way way more. I don't quite understand it either. I mean, it's good and IMO bottle worthy, but I don't get the constant holy grail acclaim that it's getting.
    I agree with this. I think though that some of its appeal might just be that like a lot of Creeds, it's what I would consider commercially accessible. Similar to offerings from Xerjoff, it smells like an ultra well made designer scent, that I can't really see offending people unless over applied, as even though many will say it doesn't smell like any designer frag (in specific), it just has the feel of a designer frag, and has a very large mass appeal to it, and you will get compliments for it.

All in all it's versatile, quite well received, expensive, and has an air of exclusivity, which are some pretty good building blocks for hype.

Of that list though, I would honestly say that for myself, the Tauer is the only one that really delivered on what the hype machine promised.
    Last edited by Partario; 17th January 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Creed
    Creed
    Creed
    Creed
    Creed
    Creed
    Creed
    Tom Ford
    Creed
    Creed
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    I think you're confusing Hype with Praise.

These are among the most liked fragrances on basenotes, but they're not the most hyped. Again it's important to understand the meaning of the word Hype:

hype: promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits

L'Air du Desert Marocain is praised.

Aventus is hyped. It's hyped to the point where, in the Fresco knockoff thread, there's a youtube video in which the reviewer literally tells viewers to turn off the video and go buy Fresco NOW.

The difference between praise and hype almost always comes down to one childish phrase, and the moment somebody utters that phrase, the hypetrain goes barreling along the tracks running downhill at full speed. The phrase? Panty-Dropper. One idiot proclaims a scent to be a panty-dropper and out come the OMG crowd. "OMG! OMG! OMG! PANTY-DROPPERZ! OMG!"

Chergui is among the most praised here, but Chergui versus Pure Malt in terms of hype? Pure Malt wins by a landslide. I'm not saying Pure Malt isn't also praised (it is), but the legitimate praise is often drowned out by the hype.

There's a huge difference between praise and hype.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

As for ones I've tried, I agree with Aventus, GIT, and TdH as being overhyped. I would add Burberry London as one that seems to be suggested to people alot, almost no matter what the question is.
    DHI is another one that gets alot of talk here, and I admit I haven't tried it, but by many accounts it is sort of fem. For the life of me I don't get why this one would be popular with guys... even if women do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think you're confusing Hype with Praise.

These are among the most liked fragrances on basenotes, but they're not the most hyped.
    I agree.
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
    Or what's a heaven for?"

- Robert Browning, "Andrea del Sarto"

Has anyone mentioned Aventus?

New Haarlem - agree

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Perfectly said. While I don't much like it, I can certainly understand that others do. But of all the scents on basenotes there seems to be nearly an Aventus cult, far more than even Pure Malt -- whose adulation at one point seemed almost cultlike to me. At least most Aventus devotees have smelled it; it sometimes seemed to me people were in love with Pure Malt without doing so -- they were more in love with the idea of Pure Malt than the scent itself.
    Current Top Five:

Anything mugler or Chanel.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Norne-Slumberhouse
    You really think that's hyped here? I guess it's a good thing for Slumberhouse, but outside of the dedicated thread I've seen one topic on it and almost no-one but me wearing it in the SOTD area (and I'm just testing it right now).

Anyway, I'd say your list is about right, but I'm not sure La Nuit is really hyped here, definitely on YT though.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I'd say that's a pretty accurate list except for La Nuit de L'Homme. Not really a very hyped fragrance on YouTube or Basenotes but that doesn't mean it isn't a solid fragrance. Also I'd say LIDGE over LIDG but maybe that's what you mean't.
    +1 on this

LIDGE
    1 million
    Aventus
    Musc Ravageur
    Pure Malt for sure!
    GIT
    at one point, Rose 31
    L airs du desert Marocain
    Philosykos
    Kouros
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Aventus, Pure Malt/Havane, Gucci II, Dirty English, Bergamotto Marino, Burberry London are some that come to mind.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 8th May 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Good list. Only one I have from the list now is Aventus. What is the problem with my choice in fragrance?

treeman5823

1.) Aventus
    2.) Aventus
    3.) Aventus
    Etc.

Pretty much any of the fragrances mentioned in the thread-starting post, quite accurate overview of what is hyped (not necessarily, not always over-hyped, overrated though; most or all of them being, as correctly remarked, appreciated for good reasons) on BN.

How can we leave out Portrait of a Lady??

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Terre d' Hermes
    La Nuit d' L'homme
    L'Instant de Guerlain
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    Yeah....and then I feel like the odd man out, and I'm ok with that. The only one on that list that I haven't had the chance to try out is Dior Homme Intense, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it because I hear it's powdery. I've tried out all of the others on the list and don't really like any of them except tobacco vanille...and that one had to grow on me. I do really like it though...now.