Code of Conduct

Question Backup Bottles of Oakmoss-Oriented Scents?

With all the fuss about oakmoss being substituted/removed from certain fragrances, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to stock up on older bottles of fragrances that heavily utilize(d) it.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Cheers!

Default Re: Backup Bottles of Oakmoss-Oriented Scents?

Definitely worthwhile. The problem is, oakmoss has already been replaced a few years ago and current bottles don't have it, and vintage bottles of many scents already cost a lot on ebay. But if you see some bottles among old stock in some perfume stores, snatch them. Mitsouko, Givenchy III, etc etc

cacio

I don't have anything that has a heavy oakmoss presence - I'm not crazy about it's sharply aromatic mossy/grassy aroma if it's too prominent or by itself. I have a couple of vintage Fragonards that dry down to what smells like pure oak moss when sprayed on a cotton shirt; at that point I re-spray to revive the fragrance or throw it in the laundry.

As an element in the base accord, it's nice. I have backups of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree with oakmoss (evernia prunastri) listed on the box. Whether it's used in the current batches, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post
    With all the fuss about oakmoss being substituted/removed from certain fragrances, I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to stock up on older bottles of fragrances that heavily utilize(d) it.

Cheers!
    I guess it depends on how important it is for you. For me, I could care less.

It'll be a hunt I assure you.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'm guessing that the current bottles that I have were manufactured under the current regulations anyway!

I have a tendency to miss details that lead to the rug being pulled out from under me (reformulations, discontinuations, etc.) so I would like to be proactive in stockpiling current favourites.

Not a big deal. Doesn't make sense to purchase a fragrance unless you like it. A particular note won't determne if I purchase a fragrance.

Givenchy III has alot ive heard.

Yes if you can as oakmoss can add so much to certain type of fragrances.

almost all bottles before year 2010 contain oakmoss; however, the more ancient the time, the more massively used it was (especially before 1999/2000)

Why not buy the freely available essential oil and simply add a couple of drops?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Why not buy the freely available essential oil and simply add a couple of drops?
    That would be a interesting experiment. But I think it would be safer to decant some juice into a atomiser, and then add a few drops just in case you ruin your favourite fragrance by throwing the balance of ingredients off.

Tiffany for Men is still good. Granville is stuctured in such a way that the oakmoss, minimal as it is, makes a difference.

Oakmoss may be even further restricted (or banned completely) if industry rumours are to be believed so even though current stuff is already oakmoss-lite, if you like it, grab it. I have yet to experience the new 'politically correct with the offending molecule removed' version they have been talking about, but even so, the allowed % is negligible.

As mentioned above - look for 20th century stuff

Agree with Jack - bit at a time, small amounts as you can't take it out again.

Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    That would be a interesting experiment. But I think it would be safer to decant some juice into a atomiser, and then add a few drops just in case you ruin your favourite fragrance by throwing the balance of ingredients off.

Is it really that simple ? I can't imagine it working that way, as I was always under the impression that a fragrance needs to be blended and mixed a certain way.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Is it really that simple ? I can't imagine it working that way, as I was always under the impression that a fragrance needs to be blended and mixed a certain way.
    I think the same way but if you had the inclination it would be interesting to see the results, can a fragrance be improved or would it be ruined?

Yes it really is that simple. Making or modifying perfume is MUCH simpler than people think. You don't need to study for 7 years at Givaudan or memorize 500 smells to add Oakmoss to an existing formula. Anyone can do it...and the method suggested by Jack is sound.

Oakmoss is thick, sticky substance so dilute with Ethanol or perfumers alcohol first. Get used to the smell before you add it to anything so you can identify it in your favourite perfume... then you'll get sense of what it's doing in the balance. You may be surprised how it smells in its raw state. When you feel confident use the decanting method suggested by Jack. Easy-peasy.
    Last edited by Spoombung; 9th May 2013 at 08:04 PM.

Profumo.it fragrances are primarily naturally sourced, and use oakmoss. AFAIK it is the real deal as I am heavily allergic to it! You may want to look into them - Mecca Balsam and Hindu Kush come to mind.

For me oakmoss is very important and imo it's worth backuping some bottles that have it. Personally i've done that with Tsar, Drakkar Noir, Armani Eau Pour Homme, Eau de Rochas pour homme, Monsieur de Givenchy etc.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I think the same way but if you had the inclination it would be interesting to see the results, can a fragrance be improved or would it be ruined?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Yes it really is that simple. Making or modifying perfume is MUCH simpler than people think. You don't need to study for 7 years at Givaudan or memorize 500 smells to add Oakmoss to an existing formula. Anyone can do it...and the method suggested by Jack is sound.

Oakmoss is thick, sticky substance so dilute with Ethanol or perfumers alcohol first. Get used to the smell before you add it to anything so you can identify it in your favourite perfume... then you'll get sense of what it's doing in the balance. You may be surprised how it smells in its raw state. When you feel confident use the decanting method suggested by Jack. Easy-peasy.
    Interesting.

Spoomburg, I was not suggesting one needs to go to perfumer school for several years to learn the trade. I just thought adding drops of oakmoss or whatever note to a fragrance seemed too simple and strange ( in a way). But I would really like to try this out myself and because of both your posts ( and the others in this thread), I wouldn't mind trying this out. I have a bottle of Halston Z-14 without the famous oakmoss in the current version. It does have treemoss as a substitute. It would be interesting to see the results after oakmoss is added.

On a somewhat related note, I am still unsure as to how well a substitute treemoss is ( for oakmoss) ? I usually assume it is inferior, but I wonder if at times the fragrance is better or relatively the same ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by frostiblack View Post

Cheers!
    Oakmoss! It's all people talk about. Oakmoss is a big part of it, but there are hundreds of reasons why reformulations of great fragrances aren't as good.

Almost every natural ingredient (and many others) already are or soon will be regulated or banned. It is not just a lack of oakmoss that is causing the problem for reformulations. Far from it. The older fragrance formulas are long and complicated and cannot withstand the IFRA (EU, whatever!) regulations for an almost endless list of reasons.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th May 2013 at 11:58 PM.

I believe the removal of oakmoss from certain frags (like Polo green) is the reason the longevity is poor now with many scents that previously had good longevity.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Tincture or absolute, but from a recognised source (or could be adulterated) would be better in my very limited experience, never tried with an oil version of it, but the difference is striking with the abs. (mine is in an alcoholic base already).
    Last edited by lpp; 10th May 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Interesting.

On a somewhat related note, I am still unsure as to how well a substitute treemoss is ( for oakmoss) ? I usually assume it is inferior, but I wonder if at times the fragrance is better or relatively the same ?
    Not familiar with it I'm afraid.

As others are pointing out Oakmoss is a good fixative so I suppose it's absence could be effecting the longevity of a lot of perfumes it should belong in.