Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Suggestions: fragrance for T-shirt, skinny jeans, and cardigan

I'm looking for what might be called a "hipster" fragrance; not necessarily something that a hipster would actually buy (it doesn't need to be free-trade/organic/vegan/etc), but something that would go with the sort of "hipster" outfit given in the thread title. It should be something that would work year-round, with a casual, "fresh" vibe. And most importantly, I would like it to have a touch of incense, as well as a discernible woodiness (ideally cedar).

So far the best thing I've come up with is Fresh Cannabis Santal, but (a) it seems a little heavy for summer wear and (b) it lacks the incense note.

Thanks in advance guys

Default Re: Suggestions: fragrance for T-shirt, skinny jeans, and cardigan

Almost anything from Comme des Garcons. Maybe from the Synthetic Series if you can locate one, or even one from the Incense Series. You'll probably dig them.

Comme des Garcons: Kyoto

As the other people, I am also thinking about CDG. The brand seems to fit the aesthetics well. It has a whole incense series (the above mentioned Kyoto, which is woodier and drier, the more lithurgical Avignon, the piney Zagorsk, the spicy Ouarzate), but also CDG2 man, probably more relaxed (lemony incense), as well as woodier and only very slightly incense things like Hinoki.

cacio

Blog Entries

I've tried many of the offerings from the CdG line - I agree with you, cacio, that it would seem to fit the aesthetic I'm looking for - but I haven't yet found one that quite fits the bill. Many of them are too woody (Wonderwood, Hinoki, Dover Street Market), and 2 Man is just weird to me (smells like candle wax and smoke). The closest to what I wanted was Standard, but to me that one just screamed CIGAR BOX! in terms of being really heavy on the cedar.

I do have samples on hand of Avignon and Kyoto, and from the vials they seem to be a little too "pure incense," but maybe I'll try them on skin again.
    Last edited by kopah; 17th January 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Monsieur de Givenchy. I think that could be cool as long as you're not sixteen.

An all-season fragrance is harder to do in a colder climate.

I would suggest something from the Dior line.....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Carbone de Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Monsieur de Givenchy. I think that could be cool as long as you're not sixteen.

Maybe not.
    I just read the OP properly. No incense, not really fresh. Never mind.

Kenzo pour homme boisée

Maybe Loewe 7

Carbone de Balmain perhaps.

Old Spice. For the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    heh

Just kidding (couldn't resist). ;p

Umm, if you're not into Comme des Garcons, you might like Silver Factory by Bond no. 9. It's sort of a warm, incense, with some citrus (which I normally hate), woods, a few florals, amber, and maybe even a little ash. It seems that the reviews on it are a bit polarizing, but I personally love it, and find it quite versatile, extremely unique, and well received when I've worn it. Over all I'm only impressed with a select few offerings from Bond no. 9, but I find Silver Factory to be their most distinct, and it's my favorite out of everything I've smelled from them.

You might also like Andy Tauer's Incense Rose, Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles or Gris Clair, or possibly Amouage's Lyric Man (although you'll only get fresh and incense, but not much, if any, wood to my nose).

Ultimately though, I would say a pretty decent scent for what you're looking for would still be Comme des Garcons' Skai. If you haven't smelled that one specifically, I'd check it out. It, like most other things in the CdG line, doesn't smell much like anything else from its fellow CdG fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

I laughed.

+1

Maybe Carthusia 1681? This turned into a sick mess on me, but was really crisp and incense-cologne on paper.

French Lover/Bois de Orage?

A Taste of Heaven
    Le Labo - Santal 33
    MACHUS
    Profumum - Victrix
    Parfumerie Generale - Cuir d'Iris
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Norne by Slumberhouse has some incense with cedar. Like other Slumberhouse offerings, it very much places you in a coniferous forest. It is drier in that it isn't sweet. It is fresh in the sense that mountain air is fresh.

Niche:
    CDG 2Man
    Fille en Aiguilles
    Kyoto
    Fat Electrician

Designer:
    Gucci I PH
    Dirty English
    Art of shaving Sandalwood
    Azzaro Visit

That's usually what I wear. Minus the skinny jeans + hipster touch. I've suggested it many times here, Boss Bottled.

Not sure about the OP requirments

It should be something that would work year-round, with a casual, "fresh" vibe. And most importantly, I would like it to have a touch of incense, as well as a discernible woodiness (ideally cedar).
    ......yeah....I can't really think of anything that meets these demands. If you live in Canada, the climate changes alot, so year round fragrance ( and with incense ?!) is pretty tough to come by. Maybe CdG 2 Man ?

Anyways,as far as hipster :

Faux Hipster : Any high priced fragrance, Fierce, Le Male.....etc

Real Deal Hipster : the possibilities are endless. A strong appreciation for 80s fragrances. Not all of them are "loud". That is just a stereotype. Ricci Club, Tuscany per Uomo, Azzaro pour Homme, Zino Davidoff, Tenere, Ferre Man......these are not like Giorgio or Kouros. Some retro fragrances such as Rive Gauche pour Homme. Vetivers are great - Givenchy makes a great one ( Vetyver). Guerlain....why not ? I guess we are stepping into "young fogey" territory here.

Some that I like : Gucci pour Homme, Lalique Hommage a l'homme.....etc. Patchouli fragrances as well ( Santa Maria Novella, Villoresi, Histoires des Parfumes....... can be cheap as well like Molinard....but it sticks close to the skin.... and there a few patchouli dominated mens fragrances around).

Leathers ? Cuir Ottoman would be nice. Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espange.

Comme des garcons is a good line too.

.....with all that being said, one has to wear what one likes. Forcing the point with a fragrances just does not work.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Plus

I agree with my friend with wonderful taste, cacio, here.

Personally, start there. Eliminate what you have already tried...

If you want something cheap (for casual/every day wear), pick up for under $15 a bottle of Zirh Ikon (125ml). Nice incense - which is the dominant note, but a full composition with cedar, amber, and spices (ginger, clove, cardamom, cinnamon). You cannot go wrong.

And, I will mention it for the retro-hipster vibe...try Krizia Moods Uomo. It has a light smokiness to it (with incredible patchouli and golden tobacco leaf) - no actual incense as a note, but a scent that is incredible. One doesn't have to be a smoker to appreciate this - but if you like the smell of a fresh sack of rolling tobacco (Drum, Bugler, American Spirit even has a nice organic pouch). It is loaded with quality, essential oil and is discontinued. However, 50ml bottles are available all over Ebay for a little over $20. It will stain your shirt with its power.

With some Comme Des Garcons juice that you find you like (Kyoto is my personal favorite along with CDG 2 Man), Zirh Ikon (great QPR) and Krizia Moods Uomo - you will have every hipster in Toronto wondering how you smell so good, unless you run into one of us.

Cheers, kopah!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As the other people, I am also thinking about CDG. The brand seems to fit the aesthetics well. It has a whole incense series (the above mentioned Kyoto, which is woodier and drier, the more lithurgical Avignon, the piney Zagorsk, the spicy Ouarzate), but also CDG2 man, probably more relaxed (lemony incense), as well as woodier and only very slightly incense things like Hinoki.

cacio
    Last edited by ericrico; 18th January 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I wouldn't know I'm not skinny.

Isn't the whole hipster thing about wearing accessories or fashion with irony? I'd agree with Surface that this would take you into 70s and 80s cologne territory, seeing that the latest 'hipster trend' is 70s and early 80s style trimmed mustaches and facial hair/beards; also, handle-bar mustaches.

I should know---I work a 2nd job a couple weekends a month (the extra dough helps to pay down those student loans) at an electronics retailer/manufacturer starting with the letter 'A' and has a glowing fruit logo, and that place is Hipster Nation U.S.A.

Appropriate colognes would be along the lines of the original Lacoste, Halston Z-14, Van Cleef and Arpels, and for something more classy (and even timeless) Armani Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Jimmy1; 19th January 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

Aramis Devin. If your budget can handle a little more cost, try Ulrich Lang Anvers 2.

The first thing that came to my mind was also many from the CdG line.

How about Vanille Tonka or Maharadja by Parfums de Nicolai? Also try Cuir Beluga.

Bleu De Chanel sounds perfect if you want incense + a little woodiness without it being a pure woody + incence fragrance like many of the recommendations (it is very versatile with enough citrus to keep it fresh). Might be too popular if you are really concerned about having something obscure but that doesn't sound like an actual concern to you.

Maybe Kinski by EM

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Maybe Kinski by EM
    +1 on Kinski

Knize Ten

Tabac

Basenotes Plus

I'll throw this one out from left field, Kerosene Wood Haven.

Notes: Bergamot, Tangy Grapefruit, Lemon, Black Pepper, Pink Peppercorns, Juniper Leaf, Ginger Root, Vetiver, Cedar and Gaiac Wood.

Does not have incense, but does have a peppery note.