Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fragrances: A Lab on Fire - Rose Rebelle and What We Do Is Secret

From nstperfume.com:

S-Perfume’s A Lab on Fire brand has launched two new fragrances, Rose Rebelle and What We Do Is Secret:

Rose Rebelle ~ “consists of notes of pink rose with notes of cocoa.”

What We Do Is Secret ~ “What We Do Is Secret is the olfactive footprint of A Lab on Fire. It is unusual without being strange, rich without money, fresh without green, masculine without male.” With notes of bergamot, nutmeg, pepper, leather, jasmin, sandalwood, patchouli and birchwood.

A Lab On Fire Rose Rebelle and What We Do Is Secret can be found now at Colette in Paris, in 15 ml Eau de Parfum.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrances: A Lab on Fire - Rose Rebelle and What We Do Is Secret

Hope they are better than the last release, L'Anonyme... I didn't dislike it but don't find myself using it up.

According to ALOF website:

"What We Do In Paris Is Secret" is by Dominique Ropion, release late '11

The other one is listed as "Sweet Dreams 2003" and is by Thierry Wasser, available early '12

Not available for sale on the website yet...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrances: A Lab on Fire - Rose Rebelle and What We Do Is Secret

I like the bottles. I'm curious now.

Will pass on these as a purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Will pass on these as a purchase.
    WWDIPIS might be ok if the nutmeg isn't too prominent... but I'll def. skip the other. Not a huge gourmand or Wasser fan.

Sounds good, i will buy both, since its a great quality for a fair price (and an interesting bottle size)

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the name What We Do Is Secret, I hope they did something interesting with nutmeg, leather and jasmine. Someone need to sniff & report!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. What We Do Is Secret, nice reference to the Germs.

Wonder if they are gonna offer these two for $15.00 like the first fragrance....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Lol. What We Do Is Secret, nice reference to the Germs.
    They changed the names, check out their website or my post above...

http://www.alabonfire.com/lojalof/#/...nparisissecret

Now its called What we do in Paris is Secret

Post Thanks / Like

excited to smell what we do in paris is secret, germs were one of my favorites growing up, even got a germs burn

Post Thanks / Like

Why did they have to change the name?!? I was thrilled with that Germs homage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nosecandy View Post
    excited to smell what we do in paris is secret, germs were one of my favorites growing up, even got a germs burn
    What does a Germs burn look like? Kind of a circle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm in for whatever these guys make, no questions asked. This outfit is pure perfumery, by and for addicts like us. It's the fragrance equivalent of a drug operation.

I mean, check out this picture of Wasser. This guy is working a straight gig at Guerlain? Yeah, right.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill probably pick up WWIAS. Sounds very nice.
    I thoroughly enjoy L'Anonyme OU OP.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I mean, check out this picture of Wasser. This guy is working a straight gig at Guerlain? Yeah, right.

Wasser's pic is pretty pimp looking, I will admit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Wasser's pic is pretty pimp looking, I will admit.
    I'm really glad to see that Guerlain is letting Wasser break out of the box. While I definitely think he's the man to internalize and carry on the Guerlain traditions, I'm sure he gets an irresistible itch to let his art go where the mood takes him. This will be a fascinating scent - can't wait to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

They should have kept the WWDIS name. If they are as cheap as L'Anonyme, I'll certainly pull the trigger and buy blind. L'Anonyme is actually pretty nice for one of those minimalist/transparent fragrances.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

They should have kept the WWDIS name.
    Agree. And this could have been the advertisiement's soundtrack

The Germs last show Live at the Starwood Dec. 3, 1980 4 days before Darby's death.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

If Dominique Ropion is ithe nose for a scent, it's a must sample for sure. My hopes aren't too high with this company though.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

minimalist/transparent fragrances.
    Personally, these are two words I don't want associated with fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ropion's fragance sounds interesting... anyone here tried it??

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Interested to try both
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I received my 15ml bottle of What we do (in paris) is secret...

Strange smell, difficult to describe it: something a bit weird, but familiar at the same time. Very abstract. A skin scent; soft but with personality. It's like if the own skin could smell like this ... I smell something which reminds me the smell of cheese: some kind of milkiness, with an animalic facet. The fruity/floral sweetness of jasmine is also present, mixed with the bergamot, to "strengthen" the soft-cheesy-human skin accord.

In contrast, I smell leather and what probably could be the birchwood; It smells masculine but in a very soft texture... As I say, it's a very soft fragrance: not ethereal, not "transparent" but soft and natural like the smell of the own skin.

I think I could take a bath in this; sillage is minimal and longevity look decent, as far as possible for a very minimalist concept like this...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the description Rudolfo. Per the website to A Lab On Fire, the launch has been cancelled, now they say it will be launched "late 2011", and it has disappeared from Colette. You were lucky to get a bottle!
    Last edited by furrypine; 8th September 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Thanks for the description Rudolfo. Per the website to A Lab On Fire, the launch has been cancelled, now they say it will launched "late 2011", and it has disappeared from Colette. You were lucky to get a bottle!
    Really? Strange... maybe collette sold the few bottles they carried; that's all

...or maybe in a future my own bottle could be a collector's piece lol lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, wonder if the scent will be different when it is released later on?

Now 5 hours after two spritzs on my wrist I still smelling a soft and round delightful accord...

Maybe not in strengh or sillage level, but this is the best skin scent I ever tried... it's part of yourself and smells wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Personally, these are two words I don't want associated with fragrances.
    Typically they aren't two words I'm fond of either when it comes to fragrances, but if I had to pick one that stands out among the sheer and transparent, L'Anonyme is quite nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Thanks for the description Rudolfo. Per the website to A Lab On Fire, the launch has been cancelled, now they say it will launched "late 2011", and it has disappeared from Colette. You were lucky to get a bottle!
    I managed to get one, too. I had a dream about Rose Rebelle, so I bought both fragrances the moment I woke up, and got them today. Very fast - colette and FedEx did very nicely.

As an aside, WWDIS is labeled as such, and I suspect that these fragrances went out on the website before the lawyers were consulted. WWDIS probably has the noted song issues, and Rose Rebelle is a Chanel lipstick here. What. Ever. I suspect that they're just getting renamed or something.

WWDIS(IP) - pun noted but not intended - is nice. Total agreement with Rodolfo. It's even more minimalist than L'Anonyme, IMO, so if that's not your bag, think carefully. But I like it. Very clean, and has this fascinating background quality that basically smells like a good room. My first impression was that it had some similarity to Etro Mahogany, only nicer. Mahogany always smells to me like an empty apartment with new hardwood flooring - a very clean odor. This smells similar, except somewhat like fragrance. Some faint notes, as if somebody with a really good fragrance just left the room, and you walked in, and wish to G_d that you had come earlier so you would have found out what it was. I don't get the dirty stuff as much as the waxy and clean stuff. Smells fabulous on clothing, too. Wearing it on skin brings out more of the "heavy" bio notes - the skin smells Rodolfo noted. Cloth gives it more freshness, overall. My wife noted the difference between the two immediately. She was also unequivocal that it's unusual - an extremely rare compliment from her (she thinks damn near everything in fragrance smells "usual". She says good, but unusual.

Very wearable for such a unique fragrance. About the same level of wearability as L'Anonyme, but lighter. But oddly persistent as a background - the effect is reminiscent of Yuzu Man, but much more subtle and not overtly citrus.

US Customs got medieval on my sample, though. Big razor-slash through the bubble-wrap and product packaging, right down to the frag. You would figure that the one they would open would be "What We Do Is Secret".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. My interest in this scent was pretty much over when you used words like "minimalist" and "very clean". On to the next! Let's hope uncle Serge has got his act together with De Produndis

Thanks for the comment Redneck, and rose rebelle?? Im very interested in comments about this one.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

You lucky bastard Redneck...I'm jealous.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Thanks for the comment Redneck, and rose rebelle?? Im very interested in comments about this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You lucky bastard Redneck...I'm jealous.
    Thanks, guys. This pair definitely has something for people at both ends of the spectrum.

I just sniffed Rose Rebelle, and that one is also *total* truth in advertising. Eau. My. G_d. I don't know how to stop raving about it. If this isn't Sweet Dreams 2003, then they need to release this one, too. If it is, you guys are in for a treat. I'm not even sure if I can describe it without using expletives.

Your European dark chocolate just turned into a chopper chick and wants to have sex on the couch. No showers.

It's totally NOT what I expected. The perfumer found cocoa/cacao/chocolate's deepest, dirtiest, dark side - where it is so dark it becomes bitter to the point of being animalic, and married it to a rose like the one in Égoïste. Godiva becomes Amy Winehouse? It's Égoïste's badass little sister. Her body-sweat-beaten choco-rose-floral is just blowin' the boys away.

Rose Rebelle is the bomb. It's like - I want to wear it now, but I can't put it on again after my shower, until I'm done with the post office. The people in the post office wouldn't even begin to understand. Oh wait! I can't put it on until after our meeting this morning. My coworkers wouldn't understand.

WOO-HOO! This IS the $&!#.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

RR sounds wonderful Red, I lurve freaking out the people at the Post Office. LOL

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

RR sounds wonderful Red, I lurve freaking out the people at the Post Office. LOL
    Yeah, I should have gone for some P.O. craziness today. Maybe in the morning - I still have to get my package out!

I've been wearing RR pretty continuously on different parts of my body and following the development more carefully. It gets less animalic and more "edible" as it fades out. Very pleasant dry-down. It has nice, rose-centric sillage much like Égoïste - subtle but good. The rose has a very boozy character that I just love. My wife also thinks it's unusual but good. She sniffed it during the animalic start - I wish I would have taken a picture of her face.

Definitely my favorite from these guys so far. If they offer it in a larger format, I may be springing for that, though the 15 mL bottles are just cute as hell.

I note that they now have these two European offerings listed separately from the new ones by Ropion and Wasser. Not sure what that means. I hope it means they're actually different scents, or formulation variations, because that would simply mean more stuff from these folks. The listed notes on Rose Rebelle definitely explain where the animalic facets are coming from. Looks like two sources on the rose, too (Bulgarian and Turkish). Whatever - I wouldn't care if the sources on the rose oil were West Texas Intermediate and Dow Chemical - it's just plain good.

I was told by the staff:
    Our dealer sells the two fragrances, but seems out of stock in the US.

(I ask about What We Do Is Secret and the In Paris Is Secret)
    What We Do In Paris Is Secret is a different fragrance and is not out on the market yet (December 2011).

I want this babies, where i can get them?? Colette is out of stock too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would keep tabs on Colette. My guess is that Rose Rebelle and WWDIS will show up there again. I sure hope so. Both are really different scents, and Rose Rebelle is my favorite from the line now.

Great news that there are two more frags in the work. Thanks for that news! It looks like there are 5 frags on the site now, counting L'Anonyme. Very exciting!

I would keep tabs on Colette. My guess is that Rose Rebelle and WWDIS will show up there again. I sure hope so. Both are really different scents, and Rose Rebelle is my favorite from the line now.

Great news that there are two more frags in the work. Thanks for that news! It looks like there are 5 frags on the site now, counting L'Anonyme. Very exciting!
    Redneck, should I blind buy RR? I love rose and civet and all that other good stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would say yes, absolutely, scent. At the price, it's almost a sure thing. I personally think people need it just for reference. As long as you are not turned off by cocoa gourmands, then go for it. If you are, then I would take pause, but the cocoa is so dirty that a civet lover who can stand cocoa probably has a better chance with this one than a cocoa lover who detests civet.

I believe that the musk is actually, to at least some extent, ambrette under the hood. The cocoa is also very unsweetened - more like European bitter chocolate or cooking cocoa.

This isn't a sure thing for the A*Men or the DHI crowd - it's the Jicky of modern cocoa fragrances. Personally I would never want to be without a bottle of it. It's terribly unique, and almost sexy in a very dirty way.

You know how Tania said Rose Poivrée once had balls? Rose Rebelle has cocoa hanging by them!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 27th October 2011 at 12:59 AM.

I would say yes, absolutely, scent. At the price, it's almost a sure thing. I personally think people need it just for reference. As long as you are not turned off by cocoa gourmands, then go for it. If you are, then I would take pause, but the cocoa is so dirty that a civet lover who can stand cocoa probably has a better chance with this one than a cocoa lover who detests civet.

I believe that the musk is actually, to at least some extent, ambrette under the hood. The cocoa is also very unsweetened - more like European bitter chocolate or cooking cocoa.

This isn't a sure thing for the A*Men or the DHI crowd - it's the Jicky of modern cocoa fragrances. Personally I would never want to be without a bottle of it. It's terribly unique, and almost sexy in a very dirty way.

You know how Tania said Rose Poivrée once had balls? Rose Rebelle has cocoa hanging by them!
    I think I may have to order more than one thanks to you I remember Pierre of Parfumerie Generale once said in a interview that a cocoa been squished between one's fingers smelt like shit. So this is all very intriguing to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I think I may have to order more than one thanks to you I remember Pierre of Parfumerie Generale once said in a interview that a cocoa been squished between one's fingers smelt like shit. So this is all very intriguing to me!
    Cool! Hope you like it - or at the very least, find it as interesting as i did!

One of the things that really redeems the scent is that the "challenging/interesting" part eases up as the scent goes along. Thus, rather than veering into scrubbability and unwearability, it gets easier to wear as it goes along. I really like that in a challenging scent.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone would like to know...

I contacted A Lab on Fire directly and was told that S-ex and WWDIS has the exact same juice inside. (only different name and quantity) The same is true for Rose Rebelle / SC-7545 /100% Love.

The reason I was given is that Rose Rebelle and WWDIS are sold in countries where S-Perfume 100% Love and S-ex are not distributed. (e.g. Collette in Paris)

Personally, I think the 15ml is a good size.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ thanks for the info, Moltening!

So thats the reason to their did not tell who is the perfumeur from these two on the website:

http://www.alabonfire.com/lojalof/#

But the other ones (Lanonyme, WWdiPiS and Sweet Dreams 2003) ther perfumeur is shown.

Ive bought them all. So its my chance to try the hard to find S-Ex and 100% Love in a small size!

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post

I contacted A Lab on Fire directly and was told that S-ex and WWDIS has the exact same juice inside. (only different name and quantity) The same is true for Rose Rebelle / SC-7545 /100% Love.
    This must be a joke!! So S-ex and What we do is secret are the same perfume?? lol

So all this??

S-ex by Christophe Laudamiel
    Notes: salt, oxygen, spirit of life, camellia, willow, white leather, skin musk, malt, strawberry, baroque musk, black leather..

What we do is secret by Dominique Ropion
    Notes: bergamot, nutmeg, pepper, leather, jasmin, sandalwood, patchouli and birchwood..

I don't have S-ex perfume but I'm from Spain and I could purchase it easily; the same with WWDIS, which I have a bottle...

WTF!!

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

From 2006 and on for a bit I followed this blog

http://www.whatwedoissecret.org/madebyblog/page/162/

And wonder how this blog (link above) and what's being discussed as WWDIS relate to each other if at all.

I've been out of the loop fragrance wise for awhile so please excuse any idiocy you may detect on my part re: stuff that smells.

Guys, anyone know why there isn't these 15mL bottles anymore?? I don't know if I'm making confusion here but on their site I can see always only one size.

I received my bottles yesterday.

What we do is Secret is very shy, clean and innofensive. More minimalist than LAnonyme. I liked, but its very subtle. Not that much on the feminine side like LAnonyme.

Rose Rebelle, ohhhh god i find it disgusting!
    Reminds me A LOT of YSL Champagne/Yvresse, wich turns my stomach.
    Run to the mills!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very confused. There are two scents right, What We Do Is Secret and What We Do In Paris Is Secret? And apparently WWDIS is really S-ex with a different name/bottle?

WTH?

-- Jack Kerouac

I am very confused. There are two scents right, What We Do Is Secret and What We Do In Paris Is Secret? And apparently WWDIS is really S-ex with a different name/bottle?

WTH?
    As some basenoters reported, yes, I don't understand anything but it seems... What we do is secret = S-ex

So all this:
    October 2011
    S-ex by Christophe Laudamiel
    Notes: salt, oxygen, spirit of life, camellia, willow, white leather, skin musk, malt, strawberry, baroque musk, black leather..

What we do is secret by Dominique Ropion
    Notes: bergamot, nutmeg, pepper, leather, jasmin, sandalwood, patchouli and birchwood..

...was pure fiction ?¿
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

this is extremely confusing!

I had an email this week from ALOF .. they are currently trying to find a uk stockist .... its annoying I would like to try them

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post

The reason I was given is that Rose Rebelle and WWDIS are sold in countries where S-Perfume 100% Love and S-ex are not distributed. (e.g. Collette in Paris)
    Why change the name, bottle, the fragance notes and even (as some many blogs reported) the perfumer (Ropion/Wasser) in another countries??? for some kind of legals or rights or whatever? That's sounds irreal... what a botch!!

they could name it "What we do - not in Paris, just in another city - is secret aka S-ex evolution number 2" XD XD

Man, I have a 15ml bottle of WWDIS and still dont know what is this lol

I recently emailed guys of A lab on fire about the What we do is secret and S-ex thing, and they answered this:

Yes, What We Do Is Secret and S-ex are the same juice. S-ex is sold only in the US and Russia.

Regards,
    ALOF Team

So, WWDIS and S-ex are the same thing... now I can say: I like S-ex scent a lot!!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
    S-ex is sold only in the US and Russia.[/I]
    S-ex is also sold at Breathe in Berlin where I bought it in February.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, Rose Rebelle has been my worst blind buy in ages...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

I've been having a relationship with WWDIPIS. It's what i wear when I want to walk in a cloud of gourmandy love. I've been very curious about Rose Rebelle but was having a hard time finding it UNTIL....

...As luck would have it, I just (immediately) scooped up Rose Rebelle on anthro's website (umm on SUPER crazy sale for $19.99). I'm hoping to smell it/wear it/love it, as soon as early next week. If it's half as good as WWDIPIS, I'll love it.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muskymoi View Post
    I've been having a relationship with WWDIPIS. It's what i wear when I want to walk in a cloud of gourmandy love. I've been very curious about Rose Rebelle but was having a hard time finding it UNTIL....

...As luck would have it, I just (immediately) scooped up Rose Rebelle on anthro's website (umm on SUPER crazy sale for $19.99). I'm hoping to smell it/wear it/love it, as soon as early next week. If it's half as good as WWDIPIS, I'll love it.
    Oh my, if you're expecting the same gourmandy beauty of WWDIPIS from Rose Rebelle, I fear you might be disappointed. I, too, read "rose and cocoa" and that seemed fabulous, but the fact is, it smelled horrible on me. I passed it on to a fellow BNer who does care for it, anyhow.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Oh my, if you're expecting the same gourmandy beauty of WWDIPIS from Rose Rebelle, I fear you might be disappointed. I, too, read "rose and cocoa" and that seemed fabulous, but the fact is, it smelled horrible on me. I passed it on to a fellow BNer who does care for it, anyhow.
    I'll have to post again after I've worn it and give the verdict. : )

FWIW, I'm kind of hoping that Rose Rebelle is more skanky than WWDIPIS, which i find sweet and lovely but not at all skanky. I like having a range of frags to suit my personality-of-the-day...lol. And, no my name is not Sybil.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.